TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
pmyers

Doomsday Preppers 2nd season *spoilers*

Anybody watch the new episodes? Seems they are doing more/shorter segments.

That kid gave me the CREEPS! Sounded like an excuse to use and keep weapons.

Link to show for people who arent' watching: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...msday-preppers
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I like this show. I just discovered it while they were marathoning season 1 before 2 started.

I don't like the new way they do the "assessments" at the end...I preferred the other way.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
pmyers

I also noticed that they have sponsors now that specialize in this stuff.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
pmyers

I also loved how they did the update of the one family and they interviews the ex-wife out in front of the courtroom right before she won the rights to all of the goods and she says "but I have to go get it from them and they all got guns!".
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
pmyers

ok....I just watched an episode and one of the thing the guy did was "horde" old quarters, dimes, and nickels that are still 99% silver. I have a couple of questions about that:
1. He said that they had to be 1965 or earlier but Googling seems to conflict saying either 1964 or 1965. Anybody know?
2. He also said that a 1965 or prior quarter is worth about $5 in silver. Is that assuming you melt it down and sell the silver, which of course would be illegal to destroy currency? Or can you actually go somewhere and sell a quarter for $5?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
RonDawg

Did anybody catch a recent episode with the two men from Houston? One of them has a huge compound 300 miles away he named "The Alamo" and because of that and other reasons, he agreed to let another prepper and his family take refuge there should some sort of biological/nuclear/zombie apocalypse occur.

The first guy (the owner of the compound) I can see being able to pull off his plans. He's well prepared, well stocked, and more importantly, his family has been brainwashed well trained in the defense of the compound, including the 7 y/o boy.

OTOH the second guy (radiation expert) looks like he'll be more of a hindrance than anything. His family isn't all that enthusiastic about him being a prepper, his daughter doesn't particularly like guns (though she shot surprisingly well her first time) and he seems more concerned with overwhelming firepower than useful tactics.

In fact, after he blew the first guy's ears out while trying out some IED's, I thought for sure he would be kicked out, and that's what it looked like would happen at first. But I guess the first guy realized he can't defend the compound alone, plus he could use radiation guy's expertise, so he reluctantly had him stay.

Still though, I could see the first guy getting fed up and killing the second guy and burying him somewhere on the compound if for some reason they do have to evacuate Houston.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
...Still though, I could see the first guy getting fed up and killing the second guy and burying him somewhere on the compound if for some reason they do have to evacuate Houston.
I did notice that both families did have kids of varying ages and they were talking about "creating a better society"...so maybe that has something to do with it too.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
purwater
I make tasty water

I've watched both seasons so far and I think they try to include a little crazy in each episode. A lot of people, myself included, try to buy up food supplies when they are on sale and keep a stash in case of emergency. It's smart to prepare your family for natural disasters or other states of emergency. We try to keep a good supply of food and water in case of long power outages. I try to keep a well stocked first aid kit, plenty of batteries, flashlights, lanterns, backup heat sources, radios, etc. This has been very handy with winter snowstorms and summer storms that have caused us to lose power for several days at a time. And of course having a decent amount of guns and ammo on hand doesn't hurt either. I've learned some things from the people on the show, but some of them are a little kooky. Seems like my wife always ends up watching when the craziest one of the night is on the screen.
purwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Tom was a weenie. How was it the other dude's fault? They were both in there and they both knew that he was going to fire the weapon.

Tom was crying!

"I might have to let you go, man"

If I was the other dude I would have told him to go **** himself.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Tom was a weenie. How was it the other dude's fault? They were both in there and they both knew that he was going to fire the weapon.
That had me confused. Tom told the other guy that he f'ed up because he fired from inside the blind when Tom had done the same thing just before that. Like you said, he knew he was going to fire and why did only his ears get busted but not the guy shooting?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
That had me confused. Tom told the other guy that he f'ed up because he fired from inside the blind when Tom had done the same thing just before that. Like you said, he knew he was going to fire and why did only his ears get busted but not the guy shooting?
To me I think the issue was that the other guy had the barrell IN the blind...not that they were both shooting FROM the blind.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
To me I think the issue was that the other guy had the barrell IN the blind...not that they were both shooting FROM the blind.
Makes sense. Either way, this was the Doh! moment of this episode. Like when the 15 year old 'testing' his friend to make sure he was good enough, and then almost burned the building down.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
RonDawg

Tom also had his hearing protection on, and yet still suffered (hopefully) temporary, if painful, hearing loss. Yet the one doing the shooting came out OK. I no longer have the episode on my DVR, but was the barrel too close to Tom's head and that's why it messed him up so badly?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I did notice that both families did have kids of varying ages and they were talking about "creating a better society"...so maybe that has something to do with it too.
The second guy (the radiation expert) only had one child, a teenage daughter. She would have to have a LOT of kids in order to create that better, non-incestuous society.

The mothers on both sides appear to be older and while likely still pre-menopausal, having kids when you're older brings a greater likelihood of health-related issues for both the mother and the child (unless you're Mrs. Duggar) and that's not a good thing when you've chosen to isolate yourself from society, if there's any society left.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I've only caught parts of a few episodes but this show annoys me. It kind of goes against the prepper mentality by showing all of our prepping plans/supplies on national TV. If the SHTF you know where people are going first.

And that guy Tom with the "Grandpas home" (or whatever the code word was) fake scenario that the family didn't know about... did he replace all the ammo in the guns with inert rounds without he family knowing? Because if not doing something like that is an accident waiting to happen - and I find it hard to believe the local SD would even agree to help him out in that manner.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #16
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
I find it hard to believe the local SD would even agree to help him out in that manner.
This. Way too much potential civil liability.