TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #9151
klyde

Im at my brothers and its his tivo. The drive is bad for sure, the .bak image I got off the forum, the bkf was a typo.
We have a 1tb to use as a replacement. The model is BCD648250b

His compuet must be an off brand its ABN-La the only thing I can see stenciled on the MB.

thank you very much

Last edited by klyde : 11-24-2012 at 03:16 PM.
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #9152
ac3dd

After I run dd_rescue to copy the contents of existing (upgraded) TiVo hard drive to the 1.5TB drive, I'm thinking of using the steps on the page linked below to expand the usable capacity. Do you have any warnings that haven't already been stated today?

http://www.bumwine.com/tivo.html
Quote:
10. While this 'dd' command is running, get ready for the next step. Open a web browser window and go to mfstools.sourceforge.net then click on the gzipped tar static link. Save the file to your Knoppix desktop.

11. Double-click the file on your desktop. This will open the contents of the archive. Drag 'mfstools' from the archive onto your desktop to expand.

12. To expand the partition, type '/home/knoppix/Desktop/mfstool add -x /dev/sdb -r 4' where 'sdb' is the name of your new hard drive and hit enter to expand the capactiy of your new hard drive to its full potential. Don't worry, if you try to expand your original drive, nothing bad happens, it just tells you that it's already at capacity.
EDIT: Upon closer reading of that page, it looks like this might not work properly if I'm upgrading from something other than the original factory drive. So it looks like I'll have to study another solution.

Last edited by ac3dd : 11-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #9153
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
Im at my brothers and its his tivo. The drive is bad for sure, the .bak image I got off the forum, the bkf was a typo.
We have a 1tb to use as a replacement. The model is BCD648250b

His compuet must be an off brand its ABN-La the only thing I can see stenciled on the MB.

thank you very much
That's probably an Asus A8N board, the typeface they use makes an 8 and a B very similar in appearance.

648 images here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post8921060

If you're already accustomed to using WinMFS, use the one that ends in .tbk

What's the brand and model number of that 1TB drive you're going to use?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #9154
klyde

I found a image with google and were waiting for the program info to finish loading now 63% all looks good with an expanded 1tb drive.
thanks all. When you only do this once every 3-5 years one has to relearn everything.
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #9155
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3dd View Post
After I run dd_rescue to copy the contents of existing (upgraded) TiVo hard drive to the 1.5TB drive, I'm thinking of using the steps on the page linked below to expand the usable capacity. Do you have any warnings that haven't already been stated today?

http://www.bumwine.com/tivo.html
It seems odd they recommend WinMFS, but don't understand that the MFS Live cd makes their page just as obsolete.

Go to mfslive.org and download the .iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn it to cd as an image.

You can boot from it and run

dd_rescue

However, if the theory I'm getting ready to test shows what I'm starting to suspect, that WinMFS can enlarge an existing partition if it's got free space right after it, then it would be necessary to not use the "optimized" partition layout on the target drive.

Which means using either WinMFS or the MFS Live cd to do the copying.

If using the command line (after booting with the MFS Live cd), then one would omit the

-p

option when invoking the

restore

command

The

-z

is probably also not necessary,

and the

-r 'number'

is likely no longer necessary.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #9156
ac3dd

I ran the WD diagnostics last night on the WD15EARS and it was OK.

Today I tried to run WDIDLE3 after booting with the Ultimate Boot CD. First I ran WDIDLE3 /R and it gave

Idle 3 Timer is enabled and set to 8.000 seconds.

But when I did WDIDLE3 /S300, it got stuck at "Configure Idle3." and has been stuck there for the past 10 minutes as of the time of this message.

How long is it supposed to take? Or is it failing? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change something in the BIOS to get it to work?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #9157
ac3dd

Now I see what may have been confounding my situation with WDIDLE3. The 1.5TB drive is in an eSATA dock, but I remembered that the 320GB internal drive is also Western Digital! The WDIDLE3 may have been trying to operate on the internal one, which wouldn't respond to WDIDLE3. Fortunately, after rebooting into my regular OS, it seems like it hasn't done any damage.

So it looks like I'll have to open up the system to disconnect the internal WD drive, as the BIOS doesn't seem to have any option to disable the drive. That will have to wait for another day.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #9158
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

New 2TB HD in an already-expanded TiVo HD

Hi all; I previously posted a question about this and unitron pointed me to his post on the subject.

My system is a TiVo HD 652160 and my current drive is a WD10EVCS.
So I obtained a WD20EURS drive and attempted to follow along. However I did a few things differently.

First, my current drive is still working to some level: I'm getting a lot of glitchiness in playback, artifacts, etc. but the system still works. So instead of starting with a fresh .tbk I instead took out my current drive and used winmfs (winmfs_beta9_3f) to create a .tbk (truncated backup) from that.

Then I put in the new drive and loaded the .tbk onto it. There was no option to request an "optimized partition layout" anywhere that I saw. However after it copied things over it asked me if I wanted to expand. I said yes. It said "You are about to create a partition larger than 1TB. It's too large for a stock TiVo to support. Do you want to limit it to 1TB?" Based on my understanding of unitron's post I said "yes". One annoying thing about this popup is it comes up BEHIND all existing windows so I didn't see it for a long time.

After it was done I looked at the partition info and I had 15 partitions with the last one being about 1TB. Unfortunately (stupid!) I forgot to save a copy.

So I then hooked up both the old and new drives to my system and booted jmfs 1.04 from a thumbdrive. It came up and I copied the contents of the old drive to the new drive. That took probably about 6 to 7 hours.

Then I asked it to expand the drive, which it did.

Then unitron's post says you should boot back into winmfs to do the supersize (does the jmfs supersize option not work on a TiVo HD?) so I hooked back up my Windows drive and rebooted.

Here is where things started to go wrong. First, the supersize operation in winmfs failed (no message except "failed"). Second, I checked the Info for the drive, and now I have 17 partitions, not the expected 16 partitions: there's a small, 9MB partition in between the first 1TB partition (15) and the second (17). I think that is causing problems. I did save the info this time:

Code:
 10              MFS MFS application region          589824@2637890   ( 288.0M)
 11              MFS MFS media region             137629696@3227714   (  65.6G)
 12              MFS Second MFS application region    589824@140857410 ( 288.0M)
 13              MFS Second MFS media region      171919360@141447234 (  82.0G)
 14              MFS New MFS Application               2048@313366594 (   1.0M)
 15              MFS New MFS Media               1640136704@313368642 (782.1G)
 16       Apple_Free Extra                            19822@1953505346(9.7M)
 17              MFS MFS media region 2          1953504000@1953525168(931.5G)
Just for kicks I rebooted back into jmfs and tried that supersize but that also gave an error (and also no other interesting messages).

So, just to see what would happen, I put the new drive into the TiVo and booted it up. It gave me an error saying there was no external drive attached and did I want to divorce the external drive; that doing so would lost most or all the shows in Now Playing. I don't have an external drive or a second drive of any kind. Just to see what would happen I said "OK".

After that (and waiting a while) the TiVo booted up and all my existing Now Playing shows are still there (I tried playing the newest and oldest just to see and they did play). However, my storage capacity is exactly what it was with my old 1TB drive (157 HD hours).

So, I must have done something wrong. I'm not sure how that little partition 16 snuck in. I'm assuming that's the root of all my problems. Is there a way to recreate partition 16 as a single large without destroying the rest of the partition contents, and re-copying the entire 1TB drive? I haven't tested this but my theory is that divorcing the phantom external drive may have deleted that extra partition 17 and that's why I don't have any more space than before.

I couldn't quite tell from unitron's previous post, but should I expect to be able to see the entire 2TB for storage on this system? I've seen conflicting reports. If all I can expect to get is the extra 200M or so to get me up to 1.2TB, maybe it's not worth messing around with it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #9159
John Wilson

Not to derail madscientist's question but I have an unrelated question for somebody in the know...

Any guesses as to what drive might be lurking inside this WD external drive?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&sku=W10-9016

Not a bad price for a 2TB drive that could be used in a TiVo expansion project.

Thanks.

Timing is Everything
John Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #9160
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
Not to derail madscientist's question but I have an unrelated question for somebody in the know...

Thanks.
If you are thinking of using it as an external drive for Tivo, it would not work. It is USB and Tivo use eSATA.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #9161
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
If you are thinking of using it as an external drive for Tivo, it would not work. It is USB and Tivo use eSATA.
I think that John Wilson is planning to open up that enclosure and use the raw drive inside it, and is wondering if it is a TiVo-compatible SATA drive in there.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #9162
John Wilson

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Actually, I was planning to take it out of the enclosure and use it as a larger drive for my TiVo Premiere. I was just looking for guesses as to what model hard drive might be inside the enclosure. $79 for 2TB is not bad.

Edit: ac3dd beat me to it!

Timing is Everything
John Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #9163
ac3dd

I'd be very wary about the drive in that enclosure. It could be some proprietary Western Digital-only interface instead of a standard like SATA.

Even if somebody else previously bought one with a SATA drive inside, there's no guarantee that yours came from the same batch and has the same internals. Once you open it up and it's not what you expect, you can't return it!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #9164
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post

Thanks.
Several different models have been reported as being inside that case at different times, so basically it'll probably be whatever 2TB drive they have handy when the case comes down the assembly line, with the possible exception that it won't be a WD20EURS or other AV-specific drive.

And the warranty period will be shorter than if you bought whichever model by itself.

If there's a Comp-USA store in your state, you'll pay sales tax on anything from TigerDirect, you might want to see how much newegg is asking for it.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #9165
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Hi all; I previously posted a question about this and unitron pointed me to his post on the subject.

My system is a TiVo HD 652160 and my current drive is a WD10EVCS.
So I obtained a WD20EURS drive and attempted to follow along. However I did a few things differently.

First, my current drive is still working to some level: I'm getting a lot of glitchiness in playback, artifacts, etc. but the system still works. So instead of starting with a fresh .tbk I instead took out my current drive and used winmfs (winmfs_beta9_3f) to create a .tbk (truncated backup) from that.

Then I put in the new drive and loaded the .tbk onto it. There was no option to request an "optimized partition layout" anywhere that I saw. However after it copied things over it asked me if I wanted to expand. I said yes. It said "You are about to create a partition larger than 1TB. It's too large for a stock TiVo to support. Do you want to limit it to 1TB?" Based on my understanding of unitron's post I said "yes". One annoying thing about this popup is it comes up BEHIND all existing windows so I didn't see it for a long time.

After it was done I looked at the partition info and I had 15 partitions with the last one being about 1TB. Unfortunately (stupid!) I forgot to save a copy.

So I then hooked up both the old and new drives to my system and booted jmfs 1.04 from a thumbdrive. It came up and I copied the contents of the old drive to the new drive. That took probably about 6 to 7 hours.

Then I asked it to expand the drive, which it did.

Then unitron's post says you should boot back into winmfs to do the supersize (does the jmfs supersize option not work on a TiVo HD?) so I hooked back up my Windows drive and rebooted.

Here is where things started to go wrong. First, the supersize operation in winmfs failed (no message except "failed"). Second, I checked the Info for the drive, and now I have 17 partitions, not the expected 16 partitions: there's a small, 9MB partition in between the first 1TB partition (15) and the second (17). I think that is causing problems. I did save the info this time:

Code:
 10              MFS MFS application region          589824@2637890   ( 288.0M)
 11              MFS MFS media region             137629696@3227714   (  65.6G)
 12              MFS Second MFS application region    589824@140857410 ( 288.0M)
 13              MFS Second MFS media region      171919360@141447234 (  82.0G)
 14              MFS New MFS Application               2048@313366594 (   1.0M)
 15              MFS New MFS Media               1640136704@313368642 (782.1G)
 16       Apple_Free Extra                            19822@1953505346(9.7M)
 17              MFS MFS media region 2          1953504000@1953525168(931.5G)
Just for kicks I rebooted back into jmfs and tried that supersize but that also gave an error (and also no other interesting messages).

So, just to see what would happen, I put the new drive into the TiVo and booted it up. It gave me an error saying there was no external drive attached and did I want to divorce the external drive; that doing so would lost most or all the shows in Now Playing. I don't have an external drive or a second drive of any kind. Just to see what would happen I said "OK".

After that (and waiting a while) the TiVo booted up and all my existing Now Playing shows are still there (I tried playing the newest and oldest just to see and they did play). However, my storage capacity is exactly what it was with my old 1TB drive (157 HD hours).

So, I must have done something wrong. I'm not sure how that little partition 16 snuck in. I'm assuming that's the root of all my problems. Is there a way to recreate partition 16 as a single large without destroying the rest of the partition contents, and re-copying the entire 1TB drive? I haven't tested this but my theory is that divorcing the phantom external drive may have deleted that extra partition 17 and that's why I don't have any more space than before.

I couldn't quite tell from unitron's previous post, but should I expect to be able to see the entire 2TB for storage on this system? I've seen conflicting reports. If all I can expect to get is the extra 200M or so to get me up to 1.2TB, maybe it's not worth messing around with it.

That post of mine would have applied if you were still using the original 160GB drive and had shows on it you want to save and had the temporary use of the WD10EVCS to act as a middleman, and wanted, like I did, to enlarge the swap partition size.

I'll try to address your post much more fully tonight, probably late.

In the meantime...

Run WinMFS on just the 1TB drive and click on mfsinfo and save the results and post it.

We need to see its partition map to see if it has a 16th partition on it.

Which software did you use to upgrade from the original 160GB drive to the 1TB?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #9166
unitron

Quote:
Now I see what may have been confounding my situation with WDIDLE3. The 1.5TB drive is in an eSATA dock, but I remembered that the 320GB internal drive is also Western Digital! The WDIDLE3 may have been trying to operate on the internal one, which wouldn't respond to WDIDLE3. Fortunately, after rebooting into my regular OS, it seems like it hasn't done any damage.

So it looks like I'll have to open up the system to disconnect the internal WD drive, as the BIOS doesn't seem to have any option to disable the drive. That will have to wait for another day.
If that 320GB drive is your PC's boot drive (the one with Windows or some other OS on it), you probably don't want Intellipark running on it, either, unless you leave the computer on around the clock but don't actually use it much.

Connect only one WD drive at at time to the motherboard (Make sure it's not a GigaByte brand or we'll have to figure something else out).

I'm pretty sure that the command you want is

wdidle3 /d

for disable.

Only if it refuses to accept that should you try the alternate way of

wdidle3 /s300.

Do the boot drive first, then disconnect it and connect the 1.5TB drive in its place and do it again.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #9167
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If that 320GB drive is your PC's boot drive (the one with Windows or some other OS on it), you probably don't want Intellipark running on it, either, unless you leave the computer on around the clock but don't actually use it much.
Even though it's installed a desktop case, the 320GB drive is a 2.5" drive made in 2008 (model WD3200BEVT to be exact), so I don't think it has Intellipark or firmware that responds to WDIDLE3.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #9168
unitron

Quote:
Even though it's installed a desktop case, the 320GB drive is a 2.5" drive made in 2008 (model WD3200BEVT to be exact), so I don't think it has Intellipark or firmware that responds to WDIDLE3.
But it is a WD, so don't have both drives hooked up when you run wdidle3 and avoid any possiblilty of confusing it.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #9169
ac3dd

Quote:
But it is a WD, so don't have both drives hooked up when you run wdidle3 and avoid any possiblilty of confusing it.
Yes, that's exactly what I wrote yesterday. This will probably have to wait until the weekend when I have more time.

Quote:

Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #9170
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
That post of mine would have applied if you were still using the original 160GB drive and had shows on it you want to save and had the temporary use of the WD10EVCS to act as a middleman, and wanted, like I did, to enlarge the swap partition size.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood the details of the original situation in your post.

Quote:
I'll try to address your post much more fully tonight, probably late.

In the meantime...

Run WinMFS on just the 1TB drive and click on mfsinfo and save the results and post it.

We need to see its partition map to see if it has a 16th partition on it.

Which software did you use to upgrade from the original 160GB drive to the 1TB?
I'll get the msfinfo output but it'll have to wait until a little later (probably after 11:30pm EST) since my son is using his computer (he has the only desktop Windows system in the house: my systems are Linux only).

It's been a while ago since I did the update to 1TB (I believe I did it in Jan 2010), but I'm pretty sure I used an instantcake image to do it (I have one here on my system, that's for sure). I had an external drive on the system at that time (with the original disk) but I never hooked it back up after I upgraded the internal drive. To the best of my recollection I didn't save any Now Playing content from my previous drive.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #9171
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Whoa, you're exactly right unitron; I have a 16th partition on my original 1TB drive:
Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                          1@64        ( 512.0 )
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          8192@65        (   4.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          524288@8257      ( 256.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                          1@532545    ( 512.0 )
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          8192@532546    (   4.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          524288@540738    ( 256.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                     1048576@1065026   ( 512.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            524288@2113602   ( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          589824@2637890   ( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             137629696@3227714   (  65.6G)
 12                   MFS Second MFS application region    589824@140857410 ( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS Second MFS media region      171919360@141447234 (  82.0G)
 14                   MFS New MFS Application               2048@313366594 (   1.0M)
 15                   MFS New MFS Media               1640136704@313368642 ( 782.1G)
 16            Apple_Free Extra                            19822@1953505346(   9.7M)
Knowing me, I'm quite positive that I did not use winmfs when I expanded my previous system to 1TB. I almost certainly used mfslive instead. Based on your experience, then, it would seem to make sense that I have that extra partition. This didn't hurt anything before but obviously it hurts now that I would like to add a real 16th partition.

I'm pretty familiar with Linux systems and partition tables, etc. as I've been working with Linux since 1993, before Linux 1.0 was released, and in all the years in between as well. Do you know if this is a regular Linux partition table? Can I just restore the .tbk file onto the 2TB disk then go in with jmfs and use fdisk to delete that extra partition before I redo the copy?

Or, maybe I can use jmfs to edit the 2TB disk to delete the extra partitions then re-expand.

Hm. I'll play with this.

Any thoughts anyone has are welcome.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #9172
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Ugh. No, fdisk doesn't work on TiVo drives. jmfs is perfect for what it does; it would be really cool if it offered an expert mode that let you do fdisk-like things with a TiVo drive, such as delete partitions.

Hm. Unless someone has some cool utilities to edit TiVo partition tables, it looks like I'll have to follow unitron's procedures more closely: start with a basic 160GB .tbk file (downloaded I guess) and restore that onto the new drive, then put that drive back into the TiVo to sync it up and get the right TiVo serial numbers, etc., then take it back out and use jmfs to perform the copy and expansion.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #9173
unitron

Quote:
Ugh. No, fdisk doesn't work on TiVo drives. jmfs is perfect for what it does; it would be really cool if it offered an expert mode that let you do fdisk-like things with a TiVo drive, such as delete partitions.

Hm. Unless someone has some cool utilities to edit TiVo partition tables, it looks like I'll have to follow unitron's procedures more closely: start with a basic 160GB .tbk file (downloaded I guess) and restore that onto the new drive, then put that drive back into the TiVo to sync it up and get the right TiVo serial numbers, etc., then take it back out and use jmfs to perform the copy and expansion.
Do you have shows you want to save on that 1TB drive?

What about settings?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #9174
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Do you have shows you want to save on that 1TB drive?

What about settings?
My hope was to preserve everything (shows and settings). Annoying that a little 9.7M partition is thwarting my amazing plans!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #9175
unitron

Quote:
My hope was to preserve everything (shows and settings). Annoying that a little 9.7M partition is thwarting my amazing plans!

(I note that somehow you wound up with the non-optimized partition layout, where partition 2 follows partition 1 instead of partition 13 being physically second. This may work in your favor)

It's not a Linux partition table, it's an Apple Partition Map.

It does not use a DOS/IBM-PC type Master Boot Record at all.

fdisk

anybody's version, if it looks for an MBR, it can't do anything to a TiVo drive but screw it up.

Have you ever done any work on the command line with

hdparm

?

I may know a trick or two you can use to get what you want.

Of course if you had the temporary use of another 1TB drive with nothing on it, that would be simpler and safer.

Just copy (mfscopy, I think) using WinMFS and specify a swap partition size that's too large, so that you get a target not big enough error message, then reduce the swap size 1MB at a time till it's just barely small enough not to get the error message, and that should soak up the Apple Free partition.

Then you can use jmfs.

Otherwise, we need to make the 2TB think it's around 1TB by putting a Host Protected Area, whose size we specify, on it, and use WinMFS's mfscopy to fill that area with only 15 partitions, and then we remove the HPA, and let jmfs add a single MFS Media partition to fill the other 1TB.

That's the theory.

I hope to get things re-arranged and squared away around here enough to let me run the experiments tonight or tomorrow.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #9176
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
It's not a Linux partition table, it's an Apple Partition Map.
Thanks for that info. I see that this page may contain useful information. It would be super-handy if jmfs included one or both of these tools, for those of us who need to drop into the command line.

Maybe I'll try booting with a Linux live DVD and see if I can get a copy of these programs, and see if they work manipulating the partition table on the TiVo system.

ETA: looks like GNU fdisk is a replacement for standard fdisk that attempts to include mac-fdisk capabilities as well...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #9177
unitron

Quote:
...and see if they work manipulating the partition table on the TiVo system...
That's something you probably don't want to rush into.

If you start reading here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...33#post9168233

you may learn some useful things.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #9178
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I was going to try it on the 2TB drive first just to see if it worked. That drive is now somewhat out of date with my latest shows so I'll probably re-copy it.

However that thread is very interesting, thank you. One thing I did notice is that there was some confusion about the right reply to the "should I create a partition >1TB" question; I answered "No" because I thought both the original (15) and new (correct 16) partitions would be <1TB. And I thought the kernel in the TiVoHD did not support >1TB partition sizes. But it seems from that thread others were answering "Yes" and having more success... ?? Maybe a TiVo update has fixed the max partition size issue since the thread was started?

However I'm not sure any of that matters, if my real problem is the itty-bitty partition.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #9179
unitron

Quote:
I was going to try it on the 2TB drive first just to see if it worked. That drive is now somewhat out of date with my latest shows so I'll probably re-copy it.

However that thread is very interesting, thank you. One thing I did notice is that there was some confusion about the right reply to the "should I create a partition >1TB" question; I answered "No" because I thought both the original (15) and new (correct 16) partitions would be <1TB. And I thought the kernel in the TiVoHD did not support >1TB partition sizes. But it seems from that thread others were answering "Yes" and having more success... ?? Maybe a TiVo update has fixed the max partition size issue since the thread was started?

However I'm not sure any of that matters, if my real problem is the itty-bitty partition.
That Apple Free partition is what keeps you from having success with jmfs.

The way it's doing it is by being the 16th partition on the drive.

( A "quirk" of the Apple Partition Map is that unpartitioned space is considered a partition)

16 is the limit on the number of partitions on an individual TiVo drive.

Which means jmfs copies everything, including that 16th partition, then adds a single MFS Media partition when it "expands", which becomes the 17th partition.

The TiVo, because of the 16 partition per drive limit, sees the 17th partition and things it's a screwed up external drive and offers to divorce it, which it does by deleting it, which leaves you back where you started.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #9180
ac3dd

Am I screwed if the upgraded drive which I'm going to copy from already has more than 14 partitions? Or is it OK to have 15 but 16 is a problem?