TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
MissNovemberTues

Question New here, need some direction

I do not know where to begin looking, but I am just setting up TiVo Desktop and have questions about the format of the video. I plan to transfer some things I want to keep onto my computer with the intention of burning to a disc. Do I need to do anything special, or will they be in a format that will make this easy. (Also a bit new to burning DVDs, so please bear with me.) If there is already a thread, please point me to it and I will read through. Thanx in advance for any help.
MissNovemberTues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNovemberTues View Post
I do not know where to begin looking, but I am just setting up TiVo Desktop and have questions about the format of the video. I plan to transfer some things I want to keep onto my computer with the intention of burning to a disc. Do I need to do anything special, or will they be in a format that will make this easy. (Also a bit new to burning DVDs, so please bear with me.) If there is already a thread, please point me to it and I will read through. Thanx in advance for any help.
There are several, if not many, different threads.

You've got some reading ahead of you, but you're among friends.

Use this link

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

to see all of the forums here.

There's a search function for the entire site, for each forum, and for each thread in a forum.

If your installing Desktop to a Windows computer, you need to have it copy the shows (it calls it transfer, but the show remains on the TiVo and is copied to the computer) to an NTFS formatted partition, not a FAT32 formatted partition, because FAT32 can't handle big enough file sizes, and a two hour movie will be missing about the last five minutes.

You don't have to accept the default of having the My TiVo Recordings folder on the C drive, you can go into Desktop, click on File, then Preferences and change the location if you'd like to put it on a partition all by itself or a different hard drive.

Depending on which model TiVo you have, whether it records from analog cable or digital cable, and how big a bunch of d***s your cable company is, you may not be able to copy some recordings from the TiVo to anywhere else, other than feeding the analog (line level) outputs to a VCR or DVD recorder.

As to how to record the digital file to a DVD once you've got it on the computer, I haven't advanced my knowledge that far yet, but I have filled up about 10TB of hard drives with shows copied via Desktop, so I'm somewhat knowledge about the first half of the process.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
lrhorer

Well, first of all, please do not post in that eye-searing red font.

What you want to do is not terribly difficult, and there are a number of ways to accomplish it. The exact process may depend somewhat on your setup. With that in mind, I have three questions:

1. What model TiVo do you have?

2. Who is your CATV provider?

3. What OS are you using on the PC?

Meanwhile, I do not recommend TiVoDesktop. There are several other free alternatives that will probably suit your needs much better. Generally speaking, the best is kmttg.

You will need some burning (and probably editing) software. If you are running Windows, it is generally acknowledged VideoRedo TV Suite is the easiest and most powerful for the buck. It is commercial software, not freeware, but a majority of users rate it by far the best. It does have a 14 day free trial.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
mattack

If you're just trying to burn to DVDs, a standalone DVD recorder might be easier/faster for you, since transcoding on a computer will be VERY slow.

Since I'm nowadays mostly transferring stuff to computer to keep (and perhaps later create an MP3 or AAC version of just the audio), I'm not using it as much for that purpose, but it was useful then. (I still use it every day to watch some stuff faster than realtime.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If you're just trying to burn to DVDs, a standalone DVD recorder might be easier/faster for you, since transcoding on a computer will be VERY slow.
Not necessarily. It depends on the computer's CPU and the video content. If the OP is recording and transferring SD content, and has a modestly fast CPU, then the transcoding won't take all that long, at all.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Especially if it's a newer Intel CPU with "Intel QuickSync Technology" and a transcoder which supports it (MediaEspresso is one).
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Especially if it's a newer Intel CPU with "Intel QuickSync Technology" and a transcoder which supports it (MediaEspresso is one).
In my tests with QS the MPEG-2 encoder isn't much faster then software based solutions. Although it does use a little less CPU so it doesn't tie up the computer as much. The H.264 encoder is fast though and uses very little CPU. The only software encodes I've got that are even close have been using x264 with one of the fast presets and it using 100% of my CPU.

For the original poster... I'm one of the developers for VideoReDo so if you do try it out and have any questions or problems feel free to ask and I'll help you out.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
lrhorer

Always with the shameless plug, huh Dan?

You are perfectly correct. VRD is widely regarded as the best consumer video editing and conversion software around for the buck, and the tech support is pretty good, which is saying a great deal given how lousy tech support is with most companies these days.

VRD is definitely my recommendation.