TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
MarkWorsnop

Cable qam not working?

Sorry if this is a duplicate but couldn't find the answer on the forum. I have a cable from Charter and without a box it receives the basic network channels using the tv. I also have an antenna that also receives lesser amount of channels.

I just got a TiVo and it works fine using the antenna. I then tried to use the cable plugged into the antenna plug and rescanned. It said it found channels but none of them seem to work. I tried several times with no luck.

If the cable works on the tv why wouldn't it work on the TiVo box?

I was thinking the cable would be a better choice as there are more channels and in theory should be more stable.

Is there a trick to this or should I forget the cable?
MarkWorsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWorsnop View Post
Sorry if this is a duplicate but couldn't find the answer on the forum. I have a cable from Charter and without a box it receives the basic network channels using the tv. I also have an antenna that also receives lesser amount of channels.

I just got a TiVo and it works fine using the antenna. I then tried to use the cable plugged into the antenna plug

Is there a trick to this or should I forget the cable?
You need to hook cable to the cable input, not antenna.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
MarkWorsnop

I tried that but it then said i needed a m-card. I don't have one of those cards. Should I tell it to go ahead without a card?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
cannonz

Quote:
I tried that but it then said i needed a m-card. I don't have one of those cards. Should I tell it to go ahead without a card?
For clear QAM you don't need a card, most companies have locals in HD and their subs. I don't remember mine asking about card don't know why yours did, do it without card see what happens (takes a long time to search) what model is it? Also after search you have to go to channel list and check mark the ones you want that it saw.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
MarkWorsnop

I have the basic model as I don't use the cable. It said the mcard is required to record any hd or digital channels. Is this mcard something I can get without having cable service too ?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You need to be clear, what model Tivo do you have? "Basic model" does not cover it. You can only hook the antenna into the "Antenna" and cable into the "Cable" inputs. "Mcard" is a multi-stream cable card that you can only rent from the cable company.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
MarkWorsnop

I just purchased the TiVo box.
The TiVo web lists the basic, XL and XL4

So i got the one with 2 tuners that works with an antenna. I understand the next two models do not work with an antenna. So pretty simple its the basic model.

If i put the cable into the cable input and run setup it finds channels but that's all. Never see a picture.

I tried putting the cable into the antenna input after I scanned with the antenna and then i get some of the stations using the cable in the antenna input.

So I am guessing this was not made to work with the cable without a mcard. One of my main reasons to get TiVo was to get rid of the cable bill.

Unless someone has an idea what to do, it's best to stick with the antenna I guess.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

So i got the one with 2 tuners that works with an antenna. I understand the next two models do not work with an antenna. So pretty simple its the basic model.

If i put the cable into the cable input and run setup it finds channels but that's all. Never see a picture.

I tried putting the cable into the antenna input after I scanned with the antenna and then i get some of the stations using the cable in the antenna input.

So I am guessing this was not made to work with the cable without a mcard. One of my main reasons to get TiVo was to get rid of the cable bill.

Unless someone has an idea what to do, it's best to stick with the antenna I guess.
If you don't intend to subscribe to cable and get a bill then I don't see how you intend to have it work with the cable that you don't have, that would be theft of service.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:

There are 2 models of the current Premiere Tivos, the 2 tuner models, there are 3 versions, but the only difference is the amount of recording times, 320gb, 500gb and 1000gb (1tb, Premiere XL).
They will work with antenna and/or cable.

The other models are Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4, this is a digital cable only version.

You can not get free cable TV services of any kind, they are anything but free and would require a cable box for the TV and/or a cable card for the Tivo Premiere. If you are getting cable services without a bill, it is illegal and the punishments are very high. Yes, they would carry the 100s of channels such as networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS), as well as other channels such as lifetime, history, HBO Showtime, etc.

Antenna (OTA) is always free, but the channels you get may be sparse depending on the location, but most will carry the Networks and that is about all. Depending on the kind of antenna (indoor or outdoor), your reception can vary. Different areas can have a few channels or many (30+). It all depends on the antenna and how far you are from the transmission towers. You may even get a few analog channels (or what's left, basically low-powered independent stations), most others are required to convert to digital to conserve radio wave bandwidth and convert the old bandwidth for police/fire use.

~~~~~

Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
MarkWorsnop

Ok the tuner model is the basic model. That is what the TiVo people called it when I ordered it.

The cable has the OTA channels and nothing else. So your cable must be quite different than what is in my house.

I am going to use the antenna anyway as there is no point in messing with it as it obviously doesnt like the cable.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Ok the tuner model is the basic model. That is what the TiVo people called it when I ordered it.

The cable has the OTA channels and nothing else. So your cable must be quite different than what is in my house.

I am going to use the antenna anyway as there is no point in messing with it as it obviously doesnt like the cable.
You need to specify which model and one way is to look at the label on the back of the Tivo, look for "TCD" and the 6 numbers following. That is the model number.

Another way is to look in the menu under, Settings / System Information. Look at the Software version number, or the Tivo Service number for the first 3 numbers. I believe the basic model would say "746".

~~~~~

Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
MarkWorsnop

Really whats the difference what model it is? It has 2 tuners and works with an antenna. That makes it one model. Disk drive size doesnt matter as we arent talking about storage.

So it boils down to one model.

As its not the model 2 or 3 (XL or XL4) then the only one left is the standard basic one. For this discussion all we need to know is its not the XL or XL4
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

The Premiere line likes cable just fine, the fact that 2 of the 4 models are cable ONLY should show that, but they require a CableCARD to map the channels properly, a fact noted in the documentation on the website.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Really whats the difference what model it is? It has 2 tuners and works with an antenna. That makes it one model. Disk drive size doesnt matter as we arent talking about storage.

So it boils down to one model.

As its not the model 2 or 3 (XL or XL4) then the only one left is the standard basic one. For this discussion all we need to know is its not the XL or XL4
You want our help and you want to dictate the terms?

On the back of the TiVo near the power cord inlet there's a model number that starts with TCD.

What is it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
bshrock

I'm guessing that you have the Basic Cable service. Setup would be the same for the S3 and the S4 TiVos. Connect the antenna to the antenna input and the cable to the cable input then run the "Guided Setup". When the question about the Cable Card comes up answer I'll get one later.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
MarkWorsnop

I am always amazed how off track people get in trying to help people on a forum! It doesnt matter if its a model 1 2 or 3 or Y X Z... the tuner card models all work the same way.

Bottom line is the cable doesnt work after trying multiple combinations of hooking it up and running the guided setup.

So I am going to stick with the antenna and if I need cable again I will get a mcard. Its so odd to me that the basic channels works on the tv but not on the tivo.

Oh well thank you everyone for your help
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
unitron

I'm always amazed at how people who want help resist being helped.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
The Tivo works just fine without an M-card with cable. IF you got a Tivo to get rid of your cable bill, you have very little understanding of what a Tivo is or does.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
MarkWorsnop

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
The Tivo works just fine without an M-card with cable. IF you got a Tivo to get rid of your cable bill, you have very little understanding of what a Tivo is or does.
Well the TiVo doesnt like something with the cable. I have run setup with the cable in the antenna input and also in the cable input.

On the cable input it asks if I have a card and I tell it no.

Eventually it asks for the cable provider. There is only one Charter cable listed. If I select that then the channel list has lots more channels that what is on the cable. The cable appears to be similar to the OTA channels that I get on the antenna, but with a few more.

So really not sure what else to try
Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #20

If you want to use a Series 4 without a cable card and your lineup doesn't include the channels, then you need to scan for them after you complete guided setup. Note that even if you do scan for the channels and it finds them, you are 99% guaranteed to not have any guide data for those channels. So, if you want to use this TiVo with cable, just subscribe and get an m card.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well the TiVo doesnt like something with the cable. I have run setup with the cable in the antenna input and also in the cable input.

On the cable input it asks if I have a card and I tell it no.

Eventually it asks for the cable provider. There is only one Charter cable listed. If I select that then the channel list has lots more channels that what is on the cable. The cable appears to be similar to the OTA channels that I get on the antenna, but with a few more.

So really not sure what else to try
What you are seeing is all of the channels available on the cable, not just the ones for which you are authorized.

Unless Charter has gone all digital, you will get guide data for the analog channels. You can also watch any of the digital channels that are unencrypted but you will not get guide data for them. As previously stated, you need to run a channel scan to find them.

What package do you have from Charter?

As far as your interaction with the other posters to this thread is concerned, part of the problem is not the things you don't know, it is the things you "know" that ain't so.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
What you are seeing is all of the channels available on the cable, not just the ones for which you are authorized.

Unless Charter has gone all digital, you will get guide data for the analog channels. You can also watch any of the digital channels that are unencrypted but you will not get guide data for them. As previously stated, you need to run a channel scan to find them.

What package do you have from Charter?

As far as your interaction with the other posters to this thread is concerned, part of the problem is not the things you don't know, it is the things you "know" that ain't so.
I don't think you will see all of the channels listed if you have a activated Cable Card.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
I don't think you will see all of the channels listed if you have a activated Cable Card.
It is irrelevant to this particular thread, but you can't even do a channel scan if you have a CableCARD installed.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
MarkWorsnop

Thanks everyone for the information. tivosupport_jacob supplied a link and that is the info I was trying to find. Now it makes sense. thanks!