TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
hummingbird_206

Dancing with the Stars 11/27/2012 Results Show Season Finale

Well, it's over for another season. I really enjoyed the All Stars season.

My least favorite of the 3 women won. I would have much rather had Shawn or Kelly win. But it's just my personal preference. Melissa really did a great job this season, so props to her and Tony. But I'm still disappointed.

I think Shawn and Derek might have won if they hadn't broken the rules yet again. I think Shawn was the best dancer, and I find her much more entertaining than either Kelly or Melissa. But I think the judges were right to mark them down and I think the audience was less forgiving this time as well.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would have been happy if any of the three won. Actually, I think I was more glad for Tony than anyone else... since he is such a "nice guy" he often gets saddled with non-Finals contestants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I think Shawn and Derek might have won if they hadn't broken the rules yet again. I think Shawn was the best dancer, and I find her much more entertaining than either Kelly or Melissa. But I think the judges were right to mark them down and I think the audience was less forgiving this time as well.
I voted for Melissa and Tony over Shawn and Derek, and their choice of the "break-the-rules" routine was the reason why. Not because they broke the rules, but because that routine is so trick-heavy.

Shawn proved this season that she can dance. She's not just a one-trick-pony. IMHO they should have chosen a routine to show that off, especially since they did the gymnastic-heavy freestyle. So I would have gone with an ultra-strict dance routine for maximum contrast with the freestyle, to show off Shawn's range.

I loved the bhangra, but I think for strategic purposes, the Argentine Tango would have been a better choice.

Maybe Tony isn't the best choreographer when working with amateurs, but with pro partners he is a fabulous dancer. So Derek's "in-your-face" choice to repeat the rule-breaking number gave me the perfect excuse to throw all my votes to Melissa and Tony.

I give Val huge props as a teacher, and Kelly props for improving a lot this season, but if she had won, it would have annoyed me even more than when she won on Season 1.

In my ideal world, the All-Star season would have audience voting from the people who are actually in the ballroom, with the vote counting as equal to one of the judges, shown in real-time with the judges' vote. And possibly not any TV audience voting at all. Let the dancers win on their own merits, and not because of the size of their fan base.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
zalusky

Anybody know Derek's future plans, he sounded like this was his swansong.

Considering Melissa had no traditional fan base like football players and such I was really surprised she pulled it off.

The pro's really make a difference in the showcasing of the star. For example I think Peta does not come across as approachable as say Julianne and that may have hurt Gilles. I kind of wonder how different the routines would have been if Derek got Melissa. I also wonder how much control the pro's have in who gets who as a partner.
I can't think of many times Derek got a stinker.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

So who else thinks that Val and Kelly had a fling?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
So who else thinks that Val and Kelly had a fling?
After watching them not want to answer last night after repeatedly being questioned. I vote for showmance. I think it was a device to get people to notice them and up the vote count. As well as up Val's visibility especially if Max leaves. The new pro's still haven't really built up much of a fan base.

P.S. One scenario I thought about for Derek was him touring with Travis Walls tour. Only because of the interesting nature of the contemporary routine he did with all the possibly touring women. That might take him out of DWTS action for a year+ It would also increase the draw for the tour.

Last edited by zalusky : 11-28-2012 at 02:04 PM.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Generally, Derek is very smart. He makes choreography choices that make his partner look good. However, I thought he blew it by breaking the rules, perhaps getting a little too big for his britches. As much as I like Shawn, I was glad they didn't win.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I too was rooting for Melissa and Tony. Especially for Tony. The guy's been there so long and always coming up either short or saddled with terrible "stars".
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Obviously there are limits to what they could do because of height, but it would be interesting in an All-Star season to have a week during which people had to swap partners.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
wprager

I don't think Shawn is a bad dancer, but she has all the emotions of a robot. I know that sounds harsh. She should not have won when she was 17. Dance is *not* gymnastics. It was the equivalent of handing out a Figure Skating gold based only on the number of triples and quads landed. And, especially in a competition featuring athletes/actors/singer I am even more inclined to almost discount the dangerous flips and tumbles from an Olympic gymnast. When Melissa and Tony did all those very intricate lifts a couple weeks ago I was truly impressed. They *were* dangerous and they were extremely difficult, and she nailed them with precision and grace. Honestly, though, if she had tried to do a flip (and, as a former cheerleader she probably has had at least exposure to those, if not actual experience) I would have disliked it.

Some say that Shawn was not a one-trick pony. I partially agree. She would have done better by doing the Argentine Tango because that would have taken her away from the tumbling runs and, let's face it, vulnerability is not an emotion that is necessary in that dance. But I still say her athletic abilities far outshone her other skills, and Derek kept playing up to the, for most of the season.

I usually really enjoy Derek's choreography, but not so much this season. It's almost like he was working on something else and his attention was divided.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Derek. he blew it by breaking the rules
I admit I have been watching this on fast forward
That was a dance they did before.
What rule did they break?
Did they break the same rule the first time they did the routine?
I tried to go back to find out but didn't.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I admit I have been watching this on fast forward
That was a dance they did before.
What rule did they break?
The dance rules say they must maintain contact and no lifts. They broke contact and did lifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Did they break the same rule the first time they did the routine?
I tried to go back to find out but didn't.
Yes they did, and they were marked down because of it.

I'm happy with the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I don't think Shawn is a bad dancer, but she has all the emotions of a robot. I know that sounds harsh. She should not have won when she was 17. Dance is *not* gymnastics. It was the equivalent of handing out a Figure Skating gold based only on the number of triples and quads landed.
Oh, you're in trouble now.

In all fairness, it's not right to say that Shawn has all the emotions of a robot. It's that she doesn't express them in the dance. That's probably what you meant, but it's not what you said.

And please let's not import the New Judging System onto Dancing with the Stars.

Despite all the changes in figure skating scoring, which were supposed to reward competitors who were more well-rounded, skating now seems to have drifted back into the same old "who has the quads" game (or, for women, who has triple-triple combinations). But that's another discussion.

IMHO, if we want an athlete on DwtS to display a lot of emotion in their routines, we're pretty much screwed. Michelle Kwan could, but she's kinda too busy with real life now. And a lot of the other obvious candidates are getting on in years and wouldn't be likely to do it.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
SNJpage1

Its about time Tony won. He has always been a ball room dancer. While Derek and Marc B were showing off and breaking the rules. Tony always stayed true to the dance.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
I_am_not_randy

Anyone else think that Shawn/Derek picked a routine they knew would be penalized so that others, specifically Mellissa and Tony could win ?

How can two adults of even reasonable intelligence pick a routine that they were previously penalized on ? Even if one of the two was foolish enough to choose the same routine, you would think the other one would have said it was a bad idea.
I_am_not_randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

In the clip they showed, I thought Shawn looked skeptical about picking the same routing, but Derek wanted to "take the risk". I think he honestly believed that they'd get enough audience votes to win, even when/if the judges penalized them for breaking the rules AGAIN.

How did that work out for you, Derek?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
zalusky

People like the underdog and I think that both Melissa and Tony came across as more genuine and approachable.

Kelly and Shawn don't do that well in the interviews. I think they are just introverted.

It's also interesting to look at the Wikipedia history of best average scores. Shawn and Melissa are tied and Melissa has more overall perfect 30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_with_the_stars_US