TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
cdonohue

Thumbs down Tivo is very disappointing.

I have been a Tivo user for 12 years and one of my HD tivo boxes has a bad HD (3 yrs old) so I was talking to tech support and they said I should talk to sales and see if they could do anything to get me a discount on a new box. After talking to the sales guy for a bit, I told him I would be willing to upgrade both my current HD boxes to Premiere boxes and pay the new (more expensive monthly rates) if he could do something to discount the price of the boxes. He said ... "They had a deal yesterday and it expired." Telling me that was kinda dumb since it's not going to help my current problem ... he agreed and put me on hold to talk to a supervisor. The offer was if I bought 2 XL boxes at the 800 bucks price they would throw in the MoCa just for me. I find this to be crazy. He knows I am a long time customer and this is what he came back with? I was trying to save a little money not lay out 800 bucks for hardware.

I have always loved Tivo and thought i would pay more for the TIVO DVR instead of going to the cable DVR because they tried be customer focused. As a 12 year subscriber, I have given then tons of free word of mouth advertising, but when I need a little something from them ... I get a big upsell.

Cable DVR ... can't be all that bad.
cdonohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdonohue View Post
I have been a Tivo user for 12 years and one of my HD tivo boxes has a bad HD (3 yrs old) so I was talking to tech support and they said I should talk to sales and see if they could do anything to get me a discount on a new box.
Why? The "new box" would be a Premiere, which is inferior in oh, so many ways.

Quote:
He knows I am a long time customer and this is what he came back with?
You are? You had month-month service on both THDs since 2007 or so and on whatever TiVos you had before that, as well? If so, that was rather foolish of you. You would have saved a great deal by going with Product Lifetime Service.

Quote:
I was trying to save a little money not lay out 800 bucks for hardware.
That's a bit less than it cost TiVo to make them.

Quote:
I have always loved Tivo and thought i would pay more for the TIVO DVR instead of going to the cable DVR because they tried be customer focused.
That's not the best reason on Earth, and indeed not principally why I would not recommend a CATV DVR. That said, TiVo's customer service beats Time Warner Cable's by miles. I really was a 22 year subscriber - to the tune of well over $150 a month for most of that time, and TWC never once offered me anything that would save me more than $15 - $20 a year, expiring at the end of a year. I called quite a few times. Even when I finally told them to shove it, and they repeatedly made desperate calls to try to retain my service, they still could not come up with something that would save me more than $25, and once again, not for more than a year.

Let's see...

TiVo: 12 years, 5 DVRs, several special discounts, moderately bad tech support, mediochre customer support - ~$3,000
TWC: 22 years, 1 DVR, no special discounts, utterly horrible tech support, hideously bad customer support - ~$32,000

Not only that, but at this point I could (if I chose) sell my TiVos and get probably $800 or so of my $3,000 back. All I have left to show of my $32,000 paid to TWC is a handful of $3 splitters and a $25 amplifier.

Quote:
Oh, yes it can. I had to deal with a Scientific Atlanta 8300H for 9 long, agonizing months. It was a horrible experience. I would rather have hemorrhoid surgery. I had intended to keep the leased DVR for a year or so, waiting at least three months after the S3 was introduced to allow the price to come down. When the S3 came out in September, I would not have cared if it cost $2000. I gleefully whipped out my credit card and forked over $800 for the S3 plus PLS. When I found out they were not able to keep up with stock and the unit would be delayed for up to ten days, I almost cried.

I have never in my life been so massively relieved to be rid of a piece of... <ahem>... technology.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
mattack

Quote:
I have been a Tivo user for 12 years and one of my HD tivo boxes has a bad HD (3 yrs old) so I was talking to tech support and they said I should talk to sales and see if they could do anything to get me a discount on a new box. After talking to
If it really is just a bad hard drive, you can EASILY fix that yourself.

I agree with lrhorer though, you should've gone lifetime. (I even say that as someone who "lost" the gamble on a S3 with lifetime.. it and a hard drive in it both died.. and I've spent some money trying to resurrect it.. Well, it lasted around 4 years, which is probably ABOUT the break even time.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
heberman

The Comcast HD-DVR is bad. Really, really bad. Trust me-it's horrible.
heberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

If it's really just the hard drive, this can be repaired. If you don't like doing too much work, you can get a Tivo HD replacement hard drive off of eBay, already formatted and ready to be installed.

You'll also need torx #10 and #15 screwdrivers to open the box and replace the old hard drive. That's it. It's quite painless.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
shwru980r

Quote:
one of my HD tivo boxes has a bad HD (3 yrs old) I would be willing to upgrade both my current HD boxes to Premiere boxes and pay the new (more expensive monthly rates)
You can easily find a used Tivo HD on craig's list or ebay for under a $100 and keep the same monthly rate.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
takeshi

Quote:
Use one and then report back.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I have been a Tivo user for 12 years and one of my HD tivo boxes has a bad HD (3 yrs old) so I was talking to tech support and they said I should talk to sales and see if they could do anything to get me a discount on a new box. After talking to the sales guy for a bit, I told him I would be willing to upgrade both my current HD boxes to Premiere boxes and pay the new (more expensive monthly rates) if he could do something to discount the price of the boxes. He said ... "They had a deal yesterday and it expired." Telling me that was kinda dumb since it's not going to help my current problem ... he agreed and put me on hold to talk to a supervisor. The offer was if I bought 2 XL boxes at the 800 bucks price they would throw in the MoCa just for me. I find this to be crazy. He knows I am a long time customer and this is what he came back with? I was trying to save a little money not lay out 800 bucks for hardware.

I have always loved Tivo and thought i would pay more for the TIVO DVR instead of going to the cable DVR because they tried be customer focused. As a 12 year subscriber, I have given then tons of free word of mouth advertising, but when I need a little something from them ... I get a big upsell.

How do you know it's a bad hard drive and not something else, like say "capacitor plague" in the power supply, making it look like a bad hard drive?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I'll add my story to this. I bought my first Tivo in 1999. I've owned 10+ models over the years including several S1's, S2's, a DTivo, a HD and a Premier. Up until the HD, every new unit I bought was an upgrade...then came the Premier. Slow and buggy! The worst bug is that it forgets it's place when watching currently recording shows. When I'm watching the NFL and switch to another game, unless I remember to press liveTV before leaving a game, it will loose it's place ~95% of the time. Bug's apparently existed for years, no sign of a fix. Tivo finally came up with an app for phones and tablets, the wait was especially long if you wern't an ios user. Finally an Android version....except it's slow as molasses to connect and with the HD can't do much even though all functions can be accessed via the web. I have a Nexus 7 and since the 4.2 update, the app no longer works. This is now the only app I use that doesn't work with 4.2. Even small one man dev teams managed to fix for 4.2 within a day or two of its release. Apparently, Tivo has no problem with a non functioning app or that the play store reviews on their app are awful. No worry at all. I used to love my Tivo and I told the world about it. Now, I would only recommend it to my worst enemy. Even their choice of spokesman is a sad joke. A QB that doesn't play. Ughh! I pine for the old Tivolutionary days when I felt that Tivo was listening. Maybe that was only my imagination, but they're certainly stone deaf now. Why Tivo, why???????????