TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Golfsferr

Signal loss

I just got a used TiVo TCD652160 HD off eBay and I'm not sure it's the problem but wanted to check forum history. The problem is that I get a "signal loss" message and black screen periodically, mostly in commercials or live tv such as a football game. Im not sure if its happened while watching a live broadcast such as Law and Order. I've changed the connective wiring, cable to box, and component wires from Tivo to TV. So I'm left with the cable company,which is WOW, or the Cable card or the TiVo box. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to correct it? Thanks to all that respond.
Golfsferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
SNJpage1

Have you checked the signal strength that it is receiving? You want it around 95.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Golfsferr

Thanks for responding. My cable signal strength is 100. I've been doing a lot more searching in this community and maybe it has something to do with whether the input signal is 1080/720/480 and if my Monitor or Vizio plasma tv in this case, is set to a corresponding setting. As described below in a quote from another post.

"Some LCD TV's are better at handling resolution and signal changes than others when receiving a native signal. Depending on the monitor TiVo may do a better job handling video resolution than some LCD TV's. For instance a problem may occur when the signal changes from 480i to 1080i or to or from 720p, etc. Getting both set up properly when it comes to input/output is usually a matter of experimentation.

What video output is your TiVo set to? And are the problematic channels digital or analog? Distortions like you mention plus the apparent inability of the monitor to follow the screen resolution changes could either be resolved by changing TiVo's video output (hybrid Vs native Vs fixed) and/or adjusting the monitors input settings."

What do you think about this?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
lrhorer

Get another monitor and check the output of the TiVo. If it, too, is blank, then it is probably an issue with the Tivo. If not, then the problem probably rests with the TV.

If both are blank, record one of the blank videos and see how large it is. You can log in to the TiVo across your LAN wiht any web browser. Just enter

Code:
https://<ip of your TiVo>
When it asks, enter a user name of tivo and enter your MAK as the password. You should be able to see how large the files are, and (if they are not copy protected) even trransfer them to your PC.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Golfsferr

Thank you, but I'm not sure what your suggesting to do other than getting another monitor to check it out. I only get intermittent black outs, nothing longer that a second or two and mostly in a commercial or shortly before a program goes to a commercial. It only happened during a broadcast once or twice.

If you could explain the part below a little more I'd appreciate it.

If both are blank, record one of the blank videos and see how large it is. You can log in to the TiVo across your LAN wiht any web browser. Just enter

Code:

https://<ip of your TiVo>

When it asks, enter a user name of tivo and enter your MAK as the password. You should be able to see how large the files are, and (if they are not copy protected) even trransfer them to your PC.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsferr View Post
I just got a used TiVo TCD652160 HD off eBay and I'm not sure it's the problem but wanted to check forum history. The problem is that I get a "signal loss" message and black screen periodically, mostly in commercials or live tv such as a football game. Im not sure if its happened while watching a live broadcast such as Law and Order. I've changed the connective wiring, cable to box, and component wires from Tivo to TV. So I'm left with the cable company,which is WOW, or the Cable card or the TiVo box. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to correct it? Thanks to all that respond.
Go read this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

about power supply problems that can cause symptoms that look like something else.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Golfsferr

I switched to HDMI instead of component and, fingers crossed, the video hasn't blacked out once so far. Resolution automatically went to 1080i fixed on TiVo. I guess time will tell for sure. Thanks for ALL inputs.