TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
BrandonRe

Have any teams ever game the double u-turn like this episode? It was good strategy to ensure that Ryan and Abbie were the only team who had to complete both tasks, and therefor would likely be in last place.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't remember anyone doing it on purpose... only on when the sailor kid and his dad used it on someone who'd already gone by it but they didn't know.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #33
Ment

Beekmans need to go, they hem and haw about playing the game like they're going to Kumbaya to the million. Would have loved for this to be a non-elim leg. Producers why you can't massage things when we want it.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Beekmans need to go, they hem and haw about playing the game like they're going to Kumbaya to the million. Would have loved for this to be a non-elim leg. Producers why you can't massage things when we want it.
I agree, I hate their Kumbaya attitude because I don't buy it for a second. I don't know how they convinced a team as strong as Abbie and Ryan to go against their self-interest by saddling themselves with the burden of racing with an inferior team. I enjoyed hearing Phil ask them if they would rather he eliminate them and allow Abbie and Ryan to check-in. They are full of it. And they are only still in it because they have gotten lucky three times - two non-eliminations (one with extra manipulation by producers) and this leg when Lexi and Trey saved them because they are no competition.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I noticed the zooming in on the "on foot" part, but I think they were focusing on the other message that was on the clue just below that (I don't recall what that said though).
The last line had the message about the upcoming U-turn.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #36
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

At this point I really hope the twins win. The are without doubt the team most motivated and focused on the goal of winning the race. If they do win, there's no doubt they earned it.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
laria
Librocubicularist

I am glad my two teams are still in it... Chippendales and twinnies.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #38
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't remember anyone doing it on purpose... only on when the sailor kid and his dad used it on someone who'd already gone by it but they didn't know.
Didn't the Monster Truckers do a similar thing? They U-turned somebody who had already gone by, right?
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #39
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
At this point I really hope the twins win. The are without doubt the team most motivated and focused on the goal of winning the race. If they do win, there's no doubt they earned it.
I used to want the Twinnies to win, but that money episode left a bad taste in my mouth. So I wouldn't mind if Chippendales won.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #40
tiams

Quote:
I am glad my two teams are still in it... Chippendales and twinnies.
They are my favorites too! Chips are a little ahead for me though because Jaymes will give his money to his cancer afflicted father.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #41
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Didn't the Monster Truckers do a similar thing? They U-turned somebody who had already gone by, right?
Hmm, you might be right... I have already forgotten. But it certainly wasn't for strategy if they did.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
The only thing they should win is "Most Annoying TAR Team in History"...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
verdugan

Quote:
Hmm, you might be right... I have already forgotten. But it certainly wasn't for strategy if they did.
LOL So true.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #44
stellie93

Personally the twins are annoying, but I have to admit they kick butt. Lots of teams would have had trouble getting that fish down. And they don't seem very athletic, but they always accomplish stuff in a hurry. Still rather see one of the others win.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #45
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Personally the twins are annoying, but I have to admit they kick butt. Lots of teams would have had trouble getting that fish down. And they don't seem very athletic, but they always accomplish stuff in a hurry. Still rather see one of the others win.
It would have been fun to watch them try to vault the canal. Oh well.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #46
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
Have any teams ever game the double u-turn like this episode? It was good strategy to ensure that Ryan and Abbie were the only team who had to complete both tasks, and therefor would likely be in last place.
I think this has been the first time ever that there have been so many close "alliances" on TAR, where teams are working together and helping each other a lot, waiting for each other (!) etc.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #47
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I agree, I go back to that leg that thay had to find and load the bamboo into a bike and transport it to the building site. The twins did all the same tasks as the Chippendales but at the end of that task (before they had to go back) the chippendales looked like they were going to pass out while the girls seemed fine.

Personally if the Beekmans leave this week I would have no problem with any of the last three teams winning.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #48
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I agree, I go back to that leg that thay had to find and load the bamboo into a bike and transport it to the building site. The twins did all the same tasks as the Chippendales but at the end of that task (before they had to go back) the chippendales looked like they were going to pass out while the girls seemed fine.
And remember how they dove into the barrel full of fish in the market (Bangladesh?) Their hair was all over that fishy water. Ewww. I was impressed!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #49
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

They may be good TAR racers, but they're still one of the most annoying teams I can remember in the past five or so years...
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #50
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
I think that's right, although I'm trying to remember if theirs was also a blind uturn, so they wouldn't have known who'd uturned them.

There's a part of me that thinks there should be a rule about u-turning the team that picked the first u-turn. Since it's known that that team is ahead of you, I don't feel you should be able to pick them. Wonder if we'll see that change in the future?

I don't have a problem with being able to screw up and pick someone that you didn't realize was ahead of you, but in this case, it's known because it's right up on the board there.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #51
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
They may be good TAR racers, but they're still one of the most annoying teams I can remember in the past five or so years...
I am sure if I had to deal with them more than a few minutes a week I might agree but I find them entertaining on the show.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #52
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

Anyway, I'm pissed that the Chippendales used the U-Turn. The great thing about TAR is that it (generally) has nothing to do with alliances or strategy and instead is all about who runs the best race. So I never like it when teams gang up on others to try and get them kicked out. I especially don't like it when a team doesn't want to use that strategy but feels pressured to do so. Of course, J&J could have refused to use the U-Turn, but it's just lame that the U-Turn even exists. TAR should be the one reality show that doesn't stoop to those levels of trying to manufacture drama.
Looks like we're in the vast minority, but I'm with you on this. I didn't like the ganging up at all.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #53
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I think that's right, although I'm trying to remember if theirs was also a blind uturn, so they wouldn't have known who'd uturned them.

There's a part of me that thinks there should be a rule about u-turning the team that picked the first u-turn. Since it's known that that team is ahead of you, I don't feel you should be able to pick them. Wonder if we'll see that change in the future?

I don't have a problem with being able to screw up and pick someone that you didn't realize was ahead of you, but in this case, it's known because it's right up on the board there.
Good points. I think it was a blind U-turn when the Monster Truckers used it.

That change in the rules would make this week's strategy obsolete. Kind of like when Big Brother did random drawings for veto so you couldn't use Natomas' 5 finger plan anymore.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #54
mattack

Can anybody tell the twinnies apart? I *think* one of them is a bit more talkative, but I'm not sure if I'm imagining that.

(I have the same issue with other identical twins.. I know in real life you can tell twins apart easily if you know them well enough.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #55
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Can anybody tell the twinnies apart?
Most of the time with an all girl team (and even some guy girl ones... "Meredith is the guy" ) on TAR, I can't even remember which one is which when they don't look/sound identical... there is no way I would ever remember which one of the twinnies is which!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #56
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Most of the time with an all girl team (and even some guy girl ones... "Meredith is the guy" ) on TAR, I can't even remember which one is which when they don't look/sound identical... there is no way I would ever remember which one of the twinnies is which!
"Meredith and What's His Name"

Look, I'm on board the Twinnies Are Annoying bandwagon as much as many of you. (Though they were a bit less annoying this time.)

But Ryan...you had to go. Your arrogance streak from last week's "I can't be wrong!" on the time zone challenge through "The Chippendales cost us $2 million" this week...get off my screen.

Long time TAR thread participants here know I'm no fan of the U-turn. It's a gimmick meant to elicit reaction for TV.

But it's part of the game, and whining about the Chippendales using it on you when you were more than willing to hit the Beekmans with it...look up "hypocrisy" in the dictionary, Ryan, and your picture is there.

The Twinnies (despite their annoying nature) are indeed good competitors. But the money thing...they lost whatever part they had of me.

The Chippendales are my favorites now.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #57
VegasVic
Craps Player

I'll admit at the beginning of the race I figured the Chips would be annoying and full of themselves but I was completely wrong.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #58
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
...The Twinnies (despite their annoying nature) are indeed good competitors. But the money thing...they lost whatever part they had of me.

The Chippendales are my favorites now.
This is where I am at right now, too...hoping the Chips win....
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #59
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I think I woulod be more upset at the twins on the money issue if it had made any difference whatsoever in the outcome of that leg, especially since the I was rooting for the rockers, but in the end it made absolutely no difference. Yes, the rockers had to beg for the money but in the end, if I remember right, they made it to the airport in time to get on the same flight as everyone else.

Like I said though, I would have no problems with any of the remaining teams winning, even Beekmans.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #60
laria
Librocubicularist

Trey and Lexi annoy me, but mostly because she's loud and obnoxious... aka a cheerleader. I would be ok with them winning, though. The only team I don't want to win are the goat herders. They are such a weak team... I cannot believe they made it this far.