TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The Amazing Race "Fishy Kiss" 11/25/12 *Spoilers*

Can't believe there's not a thread yet. I'm in the Mountain time zone and didn't start watching the episode until about two hours after it started, yet I'm the first one to start the thread.

I did see a tweet from CBS that several cities would have a 58 minute delay of their CBS prime time shows tonight, so maybe that's part of the reason.

Anyway, I'm pissed that the Chippendales used the U-Turn. The great thing about TAR is that it (generally) has nothing to do with alliances or strategy and instead is all about who runs the best race. So I never like it when teams gang up on others to try and get them kicked out. I especially don't like it when a team doesn't want to use that strategy but feels pressured to do so. Of course, J&J could have refused to use the U-Turn, but it's just lame that the U-Turn even exists. TAR should be the one reality show that doesn't stoop to those levels of trying to manufacture drama.

Having said that, I couldn't believe the Goat Farmers were having mixed emotions about finishing ahead of Ryan and Abbie. While it was nice that Ryan and Abbie waited for them in Russia and they had made a pact to run the leg together, none of that really mattered in whether the Goat Farmers stayed in the game. They were only still in the game because the Rockers lost their passport and not because of anything Ryan and Abbie did.

I can't believe the Goat Farmers are in the final four. Unless something crazy happens in the next leg, I think we can be pretty sure that the top three will be the Twinnies, the Chippendales, and Trey & Lexi.

Also, how ironic was it that the only one to get wet in the ditch vaulting was Ryan.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

What cracked me up is that they were so upset that their friends used the u-turn on them when they were more than willing to use it on The Beekmans, who I thought they were also friends with.

I am glad they are gone. They have bugged me ever since Ryan was upset that they came in second one leg because he wanted to beat Dave and Rachel's record for coming in first.

Last edited by Maui : 11-26-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I am glad they are gone. They have bugged me ever since Ryan was upset that they came in second one leg because he wanted to beat Dave and Rachel's record for coming in first.
Absolutely. That pissed me off, too, because Ryan and Abbie had none of the qualities that made Dave and Rachel so good. It's ridiculous to be so cocky when you can't measure up.

And could the exit interview footage be any more obnoxious? Ryan was talking like the 2 million was already his, and James and Jaymes had stolen it from him.

Sorry, that's not how it works.

Edited to add: the Chippendales are a little slow on the uptake, aren't they? Why not put on the collars and cuffs at the very beginning? Especially when you're in Amsterdam. Do they really not know?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

For real! The Beekmans had nothing to be ashamed of! Abbie and Ryan were going to U-Turn them, so what were they worried about?

James and Jaymes did what they had to do. I know they were conflicted about it, but hey-if that's the game, so be it.

..and I was also wondering why they didn't take their shirts off at the beginning of the organ grinder challenge. And of course I noticed >1/2 of the ppl giving them euros were dudes! LOL! Awesome!

Last edited by Regina : 11-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Regina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

Quote:
+1

The u-turn is part of the race. It's not "running a dirty race" - it's a tactic that is there for the contestants to use. And there are NO friends in a race for $1million among people who have only known one another for a couple of weeks. If anything, the episode displayed how genuinely nice the J&J boys are. And yes, not only was Ryan arrogant, rude, and abrasive - it's quite clear he would have used the u-turn on ANYONE in the race in order to finish first.

If the twins had returned the money to the Rockers I'd be very happy with the final four teams. As it is, it's very easy for me to root for the Chippendale guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the main reason the U-turn exists is the producers know how much it pisses people off when it gets used on them. That then creates some good TV moments. I'd bet that more often than not the U-turned team manages to not get eliminated. This time if Ryan and Abbie hadn't had that flight delay they would still be in the race even with the U-turn.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I was really surprised when the Twinnies arrived in Amsterdam having made the connecting flight the Russian lady didn't want to sell them. I have almost no faith in making a connecting flight with only 60 minutes of buffer. They lucked out on that one.

It was amusing to see the Burger King at the Amsterdam airport again. My wife and I ate there. It's the world's busiest Burger King, and thankfully they spoke English.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
And could the exit interview footage be any more obnoxious? Ryan was talking like the 2 million was already his, and James and Jaymes had stolen it from him.
Yes, that got several from me.

I did feel really bad for Abbie on that organ grinder challenge. Talk about bad timing with the rain.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I was really surprised when the Twinnies arrived in Amsterdam having made the connecting flight the Russian lady didn't want to sell them. I have almost no faith in making a connecting flight with only 60 minutes of buffer. They lucked out on that one.
For domestic flights, Delta says anything over 30 minutes is acceptable. It's too close for my comfort, but that's how Delta does it. Having just flown out of the Rome airport, I wouldn't have been comfortable making the flights that the Twins did. It worked out for them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
It was amusing to see the Burger King at the Amsterdam airport again. My wife and I ate there. It's the world's busiest Burger King, and thankfully they spoke English.
I spent a week teaching a class at the Sheraton at the Amsterdam airport. I ate at that Burger King a lot.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
Having just flown out of the Rome airport, I wouldn't have been comfortable making the flights that the Twins did. It worked out for them though.
I might have risked it. Rome must be a pretty big airport... maybe they felt like they could easily get another flight if they missed the connection.

On another note, did anyone else think that there was going to be some kind of penalty for someone for not going to stuff on foot? They zoomed in on that part of the clue for someone and that is usually a giveaway that someone is going to miss that part of the clue.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
cstelter

Quote:
I also recall them running past the team that helped them find the abacus to finish first in the first leg of the race. They lost the game exactly the way they played it. IMO, They have little to feel bad about.

Also-- I don't recall them reflecting on the positives of being able to travel the world and see amazing things-- it was all about the money with those two. I guess I much prefer watching people who are in it for the experience first and the money second, rather than the other way around. Both the Moster truck guy and Ryan have said "You just cost me X Million Dollars!" to at least one individual in their race. Those individuals did no such thing... they only made it a bit more difficult for them complete one of many obstacles between them an the prize. I didn't hear Ryan yelling at himself for costing them $2M because he couldn't figure out what UTC+4 meant in 26 tries of taking that test. They may well have been on another flight entirely had they finished that task faster.

Although I did think perhaps the goat farmers would feel Ryan and Abbie would have a better chance of winning it all than they would and would agree to let them win the leg under the condition that if they do win the $2M they would give half to them.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
On another note, did anyone else think that there was going to be some kind of penalty for someone for not going to stuff on foot? They zoomed in on that part of the clue for someone and that is usually a giveaway that someone is going to miss that part of the clue.
I think during the final couple of tasks both teams mentioned that the clue said they were allowed to take a taxi after 6:00 pm
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really like Jaymes a whole lot after reading this interview:

http://instinctmagazine.com/archives...-jaymes-vaughn
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
......On another note, did anyone else think that there was going to be some kind of penalty for someone for not going to stuff on foot? They zoomed in on that part of the clue for someone and that is usually a giveaway that someone is going to miss that part of the clue.
That's what I was thinking. They zoomed in on it twice.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
Although I did think perhaps the goat farmers would feel Ryan and Abbie would have a better chance of winning it all than they would and would agree to let them win the leg under the condition that if they do win the $2M they would give half to them.
The rules for Survivor state that the players can't conspire to share the prize money. I'd be shocked if TAR didn't have the same rule.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think during the final couple of tasks both teams mentioned that the clue said they were allowed to take a taxi after 6:00 pm
When they were heading to the museum, the Chippendales read "take a bus" off their clue sheet, and we saw them on a bus. Later I think it was the Beekmans that said "we can take a taxi", which threw me a bit, but the 6pm thing makes sense.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That was a different task. The taxi permission was instead of taking a bus to the other city, I believe.

I noticed the zooming in on the "on foot" part, but I think they were focusing on the other message that was on the clue just below that (I don't recall what that said though).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
laria
Librocubicularist

Yeah, on that other clue there was a note about being able to take a taxi after 6pm... the bus was probably not running then or running a reduced schedule.

I just was expecting someone to screw up on the task before that and not go somewhere on foot, due to the camera work.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
Gerryex

Everyone keeps talking about the prize being $2M but isn't it ONLY $2M for the couple that came in first on the first leg, and that couple was just eliminated. So from now on the prize is only $1M.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
verdugan

Quote:
What cracked me up is that they were so upset that their friends used the u-turn on them when they were more than willing to use it on The Beekmans, who I thought they were also friends with.

+1

It's ok for him to use the U-turn, but not for other teams to use it on them?

I'm so happy he's out. It was a bonus that he was the only one who couldn't jump in one try!

I didn't quite understand their plan with the plane tickets in Frankfurt. Did they buy two tickets or did they reserve two? What did the gate agent tell them about their tickets that prevented her from letting them on?
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Everyone keeps talking about the prize being $2M but isn't it ONLY $2M for the couple that came in first on the first leg, and that couple was just eliminated. So from now on the prize is only $1M.

Gerry
I've only heard Ryan referring to the $2M prize.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
I didn't quite understand their plan with the plane tickets in Frankfurt. Did they buy two tickets or did they reserve two? What did the gate agent tell them about their tickets that prevented her from letting them on?
They were going to have a tight layover in Frankfurt so just to make sure they didn't get stuck there for many hours, they bought tix on the flight with the tight connection, plus tix on another flight that was leaving a couple hours later.

The reason they didn't get on the first one is because the Russian ticket agent didn't check them in all the way to their final destination. So the airline personnel in Frankfurt assumed they weren't coming since they hadn't checked in, and by the time they got there, it was past the check-in cut off.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Did they buy two tickets or did they reserve two?
I got confused about the two tickets things. Did they buy two parallel tickets? I would have thought that the rules would be that they could only buy tickets that they're going to use.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I got confused about the two tickets things. Did they buy two parallel tickets? I would have thought that the rules would be that they could only buy tickets that they're going to use.
Because they're buying "day-of" tickets, they're paying full fare and they're fully refundable. So the race rules allow them to book as many flights as they want, provided they don't book business class or first class.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ah, I forgot about the fact that they're not buying their tickets in advance and thus wouldn't be entitled to discounted-with-restrictions fares.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I would love to see some of the prices they pay. At the beginning of the game when it would be 11 teams times 4 tickets each you'd be talking about real money.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Because they're buying "day-of" tickets, they're paying full fare and they're fully refundable. So the race rules allow them to book as many flights as they want, provided they don't book business class or first class.
Thanks for your explanation in the other post.

I'm just surprised they have so much money to buy two full fare, fully refundable tickets.

If they have that much money, I don't know why other teams don't do that strategy too.

And it's their own fault for not making sure they were checked in for the next flight.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
obixman

They pay airfare by credit card - I believe they can ONLY charge airfare on the card they have. They pay cash for trains and taxis. In certain localities they are restricted as to using only certain airlines and (in some African countries) only using tagged cabs as well.

"Warstories" - Firefly

Last edited by obixman : 11-26-2012 at 05:39 PM.
obixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
ElJay

I thought it was rather ridiculous that Abbie and Ryan expected the Beekmans to be OK with being U-turned while they were moaning about it themselves. I'm glad Trey and Lexi blocked that from happening.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
Azlen

I'm guessing a lot more racers have done double booking but they don't typically show it because it hasn't come into play, this time it did.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote