TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
rick stone

Multi-Room Streaming with Powerline

I have two Tivo Premiers (each a 2 tuner), connected to my network using powerline ethernet (200 Mbps Netgear HDX 111). They each work great, receiving Netflix and Xfinity on Demand with no hiccups. They are on different floors of my house.

I can often stream between them, but not always. When one of the boxes does not show the other in "My Shows", I have to restart the box---when I do that, it always works. I have tried calling Tivo support--no luck. My DVR preferences on Tivo's website are set up correctly---I even unchecked the Video Sharing boxes, forced a connection to Tivo, then rechecked the boxes and forced a connection again. That worked until the next morning. In the on-screen Multi-Room Streaming Help, each box shows that the other box sends and receives, but the icons for the other box are not shown in "My Shows" unless I restart the Premier I'm watching.

Anyway, could it be the fault of the powerline connection? I could try Moca, but I would need to buy 3 Moca units, since neither Tivo is near my router. That $150+ expenditure should not be necessary.

Any ideas?
rick stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick stone View Post
I have two Tivo Premiers (each a 2 tuner), connected to my network using powerline ethernet (200 Mbps Netgear HDX 111). They each work great, receiving Netflix and Xfinity on Demand with no hiccups. They are on different floors of my house.

I can often stream between them, but not always. When one of the boxes does not show the other in "My Shows", I have to restart the box---when I do that, it always works. I have tried calling Tivo support--no luck. My DVR preferences on Tivo's website are set up correctly---I even unchecked the Video Sharing boxes, forced a connection to Tivo, then rechecked the boxes and forced a connection again. That worked until the next morning. In the on-screen Multi-Room Streaming Help, each box shows that the other box sends and receives, but the icons for the other box are not shown in "My Shows" unless I restart the Premier I'm watching.

Anyway, could it be the fault of the powerline connection? I could try Moca, but I would need to buy 3 Moca units, since neither Tivo is near my router. That $150+ expenditure should not be necessary.

Any ideas?
From the time I got the fall update twice I could not use MRS from say TP-1 to TP-3 (I have 4 TPs in my system). I could MRS from TP-3 to TP-1, no problem, I had to re-boot TP3 and the problem went away. Before re-booting TP-3 I tried all other combinations MRS and they worked. I use the TiVo "N" adapter at 5MHZ (my router has a 5MHZ radio). Twice is not enough for me to get too worried. Yet
I don't know if are problems are the same, networking is not always consistent.