TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #4471
cheese toast

Tried that today and it worked like a charm. Thanks
cheese toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4472
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You need to run "QS Fix" step either using VideoRedo or ProjectX setup in kmttg.
What's the difference? Does one work better then the other?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #4473
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Well, principally, VRD is for Windows only. I have not even been able to get it to work under wine in Linux.

ProjectX is written in Java, so should be cross-platform compliant. I have not tried it, but it should work under Linux, OS/X, etc. I also cannot comment upon any relative performance for the two.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #4474
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
VideoRedo is commercial software (i.e. costs money) but is the better solution and also allows you to edit out commercials. ProjectX is free software and a pretty good free solution for QS Fix, but one problem is that it strips out captions which VRD does not. i.e. VRD is the better solution but some people don't want to pay for it so ProjectX offers a free alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #4475
truegalbklyn

Can someone help with this issue I am having with kmttg? It was doing fine all weekend but this morning, nothing is being downloaded and for example...I got the following message:

WARNING: Transient problem: HTTP error will try again 4 seconds.
WARNING: left
Throwing away 51 bytes.

:/ Any ideas?
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #4476
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
WARNING: Transient problem: HTTP error will try again 4 seconds.
WARNING: left
Throwing away 51 bytes.
Do you have more than one TiVo? If so, I would check the others to see if they are having the same issue. If not, the first thing I would try is rebooting the TiVo.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #4477
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
I just noticed in the release notes for v0p8v, that "atomicParsley job will now add --artwork imageFile to run if image : imageFile tag exists in metadata file".

I have cover art in all my folders. It would be great if kmttg could automatically add "image : folder.jpg" to the metadata.txt file (or an option to do so).

Would that be easy to do?
Planning to add something a little more generic for next release where under Program Options there will be a field where you can enter any extra key:value pairs you want to go into metadata files (multiple entries separated by a comma).

Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #4478
truegalbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Do you have more than one TiVo? If so, I would check the others to see if they are having the same issue. If not, the first thing I would try is rebooting the TiVo.
rebooting did it. ty ty.
i wonder what the issue was.
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #4479
lrhorer

Oh, who knows? Every now and then, one or the other of my TiVos will stop responding to the NPL query. The TiVo software, although fairly stable, is definitely not 100% stable, especially not TTG. Every once in a while, a reboot is required. The THD and the Premiere seem to require it more than the S3s, but it is possible the notion is subjective, as all four of them do require it from time to time.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #4480
DougD

downloading Cover Art with kmttg

The old method I was using to retrieve cover art stopped working when I changed the linux box to a new version of ubuntu. Attached are the files I am now using to retrieve cover art. The steps are:
1. download the attached 3 files
2. if you don't have python then install it and install setuptools (see the setuptools web site)
3. unzip the three files such as unzip pytmd*.zip
4. In each of the two directories which were just created run:
python setup.py install or in windows enter cmd , go to the folder and enter setup.py install
5. In kmttg add the custom command
/path_to_file/getcover.py "xyz" /file/to/store/covers/
or \path_to_file\getcover.py "xyz"
where xyz is the name kmttg uses for your movie metafile and
/file/to/store/covers/ is the location to put the jpg files.

At this point I need to put in a plug for the web sites. The art for movies is courtesy of www.themoviedb.org. The art for TV shows is from www.thetvdb.com both depend on user support.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pytmdb3-master.zip (34.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip tvdb_api-master.zip (35.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip getcover.zip (2.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by DougD : 12-16-2012 at 08:11 PM.
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #4481
elprice7345

The Wish List functionality in the new release is awesome! Thanks for adding it!

Is there any way to edit existing WLs and/or delete them?
elprice7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #4482
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprice7345 View Post
The Wish List functionality in the new release is awesome! Thanks for adding it!

Is there any way to edit existing WLs and/or delete them?
No, see the Wishlists Wiki for the restrictions. (The tooltip associated with "WL" buttons also lists some limitations). I was on the fence about even releasing the existing WL capability given the restrictions, but it does provide for a much easier way of creating new WL (auto-record or not) rather than doing it on TiVo itself despite the restrictions. In fact I replied to you about the restrictions before releasing this if you scroll back a page or two in this thread.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #4483
elprice7345

Got it. The Wiki says:
Quote:
Only autorecord wishlists are visible and editable, so if you want to edit or remove non-autorecord wishlists you will need to do it on TiVo itself.
My bad, I misread the "editable" to have the ability to fully edit the WL and not just edit the recording options and to be applicable only to non-ARWLs. Meaning, I can edit ARWLs, but not non-ARWLs.

Thanks for the new features and let me know if you figure something out.

Being able to create WLs in kmttg is a great new feature.
elprice7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #4484
lrhorer

OAD incorrect

Hey moyekj,

There seems to be a little issue with OAD retrieval. It does not always happen, but sometimes the OAD is incorrect in the kmttg log window, yet is correct on the TiVo, and in the downloaded metafile, and correct in TiVoDeskTop (the year, anyway, it doesn't report day and month). For example, last night's episode of Bones auto-recorded on three out of four of my TiVos. It was a brand new episode, with, of course, an OAD of 2012-11-26. I downloaded a copy of the metafile using kmttg, and it shows 2012-11-26. TiVoDeskTop shows a broadcast year of 2012. All three TiVos show 11/26/12. Kmttg reports an OAD of 2005-10-17. Last week's episode shows 2005-09-19, when again TDT shows 2012 and the metafile shows 2012-11-19 and the TiVos show 11/19/12.

Meanwhile, an episode of Friends recorded on today has a reported OAD of 2012-11-26. The Metafile, meanwhile, shows an OAD of 2003-02-06, and TDT shows a year of 2003. The TiVo agrees: 2/6/03.

I know you said here that it is often in error, but it seems to me singularly odd that it would be incorrectly reported to kmttg when at least the year is being reported correctly to TDT and when it is correct in the metafile and in the <Info> menu of the TiVo.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-27-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #4485
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Hey moyekj,

There seems to be a little issue with OAD retrieval. It does not always happen, but sometimes the OAD is incorrect in the kmttg log window, yet is correct on the TiVo, and in the downloaded metafile, and correct in TiVoDeskTop (the year, anyway, it doesn't report day and month). For example, last night's episode of Bones auto-recorded on three out of four of my TiVos. It was a brand new episode, with, of course, an OAD of 2012-11-26. I downloaded a copy of the metafile using kmttg, and it shows 2012-11-26. TiVoDeskTop shows a broadcast year of 2012. All three TiVos show 11/26/12. Kmttg reports an OAD of 2005-10-17. Last week's episode shows 2005-09-19, when again TDT shows 2012 and the metafile shows 2012-11-19 and the TiVos show 11/19/12.

Meanwhile, an episode of Friends recorded on today has a reported OAD of 2012-11-26. The Metafile, meanwhile, shows an OAD of 2003-02-06, and TDT shows a year of 2003. The TiVo agrees: 2/6/03.

I know you said here that it is often in error, but it seems to me singularly odd that it would be incorrectly reported to kmttg when at least the year is being reported correctly to TDT and when it is correct in the metafile and in the <Info> menu of the TiVo.
Do you have pre-padding or post-padding turned on for the shows that are showing wrong? Could be an issue with more than 1 originalAirDate in the XML and kmttg grabbing the wrong one which is why I ask. A dump of the extended metadata XML for a show that kmttg is showing wrong would be helpful (you can just use a web browser to get to it easily). Also if you have kmttg generate pyTivo metadata file for that show is it coming out wrong as well?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #4486
lrhorer

Quote:
Do you have pre-padding or post-padding turned on for the shows that are showing wrong? Could be an issue with more than 1 originalAirDate in the XML and kmttg grabbing the wrong one which is why I ask.
Yes. Virtually every recording is padded by at least 1 or 2 minutes on both ends. Otherwise one misses the start and / or end of many (if not most) programs.

Quote:
A dump of the extended metadata XML for a show that kmttg is showing wrong would be helpful (you can just use a web browser to get to it easily).
Well, maybe not. I'm not finding where I can dump the XML for the show, but then I am not very familiar with HTML. I've only written a few pretty trivial web pages. The only XML reference I am finding is in the header:

Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="text/xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="http://192.168.1.103:80/rss/nowplaying.xml">
I haven't figured out how to download that.

Quote:
Also if you have kmttg generate pyTivo metadata file for that show is it coming out wrong as well?
No, as I said above, in every instance I investigated, the data in the metafile was correct.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #4487
moyekj

lrhorer, try kmttg.jar in this zip file to see if it fixes your OAD issue (I suspect it will):
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v0p9c_beta3.zip

Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #4488
mattack

Sorry, I haven't yet tried the Stream filtering yet, but I noticed another problem.

kmttg said that the pause point of a show (yesterday's Conan) was:
Conan
Recorded Mon 11/26/2012 10:59 PM on 35=TBSP, Duration=61 mins, EpisodeNumber=3335, PAUSE POINT: 48.1%
Kate Walsh; Billy Connolly; Wilde Belle.

But the pause point was actually about 51 minutes in (right before the musical act).
So thus the download estimated time was way off.. But it successfully downloaded from the pause point just fine. I've seen the download time be way off before, but hadn't realized it was because of a bogus pause point calculation.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #4489
lrhorer

Quote:
lrhorer, try kmttg.jar in this zip file to see if it fixes your OAD issue (I suspect it will):
It surely seems to have done. I tried a number of files, including the ones which I noted earlier, and they all seem to have the correct OAD. Bravo, and thanks, again!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #4490
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Sorry, I haven't yet tried the Stream filtering yet, but I noticed another problem.

kmttg said that the pause point of a show (yesterday's Conan) was:
Conan
Recorded Mon 11/26/2012 10:59 PM on 35=TBSP, Duration=61 mins, EpisodeNumber=3335, PAUSE POINT: 48.1%
Kate Walsh; Billy Connolly; Wilde Belle.

But the pause point was actually about 51 minutes in (right before the musical act).
So thus the download estimated time was way off.. But it successfully downloaded from the pause point just fine. I've seen the download time be way off before, but hadn't realized it was because of a bogus pause point calculation.
The pause point is actually a byte offset (not a time) relative to the total bytes, both retrieved from TiVo XML listings, so kmttg simply reports pause point as 100*(offset/total). If it doesn't match expectations then issue is in the TiVo data - probably the total byte size since you say the pause point download worked as expected. Note that total size being reported is for the file as it resides on the TiVo, but TTG involves decrypt, de-mux, re-mux, encrypt and during that process the total download file size can end up quite significantly smaller than the size on the TiVo which is why download % never reaches 100. Anyway, the main point of showing PAUSE POINT is to indicate that kmttg has the data to determine what it is so you know if you do "resume downloads" it won't be from the start.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-28-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #4491
sanjonny

Chapter marks and MKV encoding

This is a bit of a stretch as it is more of a video redo question, but involves kmttg.

I am now encoding almost everything in mkv/h264 format due to better compression overall and which allows for chapter marks. I have been playing around with chapters in video redo mkv encoding and I get hit and miss.

I would like there to be a chapter mark at each cut point, so essentially, if I am watching a tv show, I could skip to where the commercial break would be.

Using the current way of doing things in kmttg, I think it is impossible to retain the chapter points/cut marks as those dont encode in mpg files I guess.

So is there a way to retain that info and then when using either video redo or some other encoder to be able to apply that to the mkv encoder.

For example my current process is to download, decrypt and adscan all automatically, then manual check the cutpoints with VRD, then adcut the file with kmttg/vrd, delete the uncut file and project file automatically with kmttg and then encode outside of kmttg using video.net (though I am experimenting with some cool stuff in handbrake cli that allows for some great file reduction)

I am wondering if maybe, instead of adcutting to mpg format, if I can switch the container to mkv (but keep the mpg/ mpeg2 video encoding so the adcut is quick/no recoding at that point) so the chapter marks are retained and then encode/compress to h264/mkv.

When I do this manually, sometimes the chapter marks are retained, other times, I guess I do something wrong and there is no chapter marks.

Basically, is there an easy way to keep the chapter marks/cut points using kmttg and videoredo that I am just missing. I don't mind using a custom command to do it as I process several other files not from tivos using kmttg.

One other question/thought. Anyone have input on whether the conversion/encoding on videoredo is better or the same quality as using handbrake assuming similar settings? I have done a few tests but not enough to know if maybe I should be using videoredo to encode instead.

Thanks for anyones input in advance!
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #4492
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I am getting this error message:

Quote:
Failed to generate metadata file: I:\VIDEO\KMTTG Videos\1 mpg Output Directory\Once Upon a Time - ''Tallahassee'' (Recorded Nov 4, 2012, WAAY).mpg.txt
Exit code: 8
create metadata file: Permission denied
Encryption by QUALCOMM ; )
Am I in too old of a version of KMTTG and the TiVO software has changed?
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #4493
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
This is a bit of a stretch as it is more of a video redo question, but involves kmttg.

I am now encoding almost everything in mkv/h264 format due to better compression overall and which allows for chapter marks. I have been playing around with chapters in video redo mkv encoding and I get hit and miss.

I would like there to be a chapter mark at each cut point, so essentially, if I am watching a tv show, I could skip to where the commercial break would be.

Using the current way of doing things in kmttg, I think it is impossible to retain the chapter points/cut marks as those dont encode in mpg files I guess.

So is there a way to retain that info and then when using either video redo or some other encoder to be able to apply that to the mkv encoder.

For example my current process is to download, decrypt and adscan all automatically, then manual check the cutpoints with VRD, then adcut the file with kmttg/vrd, delete the uncut file and project file automatically with kmttg and then encode outside of kmttg using video.net (though I am experimenting with some cool stuff in handbrake cli that allows for some great file reduction)

I am wondering if maybe, instead of adcutting to mpg format, if I can switch the container to mkv (but keep the mpg/ mpeg2 video encoding so the adcut is quick/no recoding at that point) so the chapter marks are retained and then encode/compress to h264/mkv.

When I do this manually, sometimes the chapter marks are retained, other times, I guess I do something wrong and there is no chapter marks.

Basically, is there an easy way to keep the chapter marks/cut points using kmttg and videoredo that I am just missing. I don't mind using a custom command to do it as I process several other files not from tivos using kmttg.

One other question/thought. Anyone have input on whether the conversion/encoding on videoredo is better or the same quality as using handbrake assuming similar settings? I have done a few tests but not enough to know if maybe I should be using videoredo to encode instead.

I'd like to know the answer to that question also... I've used Handbrake quite a bit, and I like MKV files, but not sure who would do a better job?
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #4494
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:

It looks like you do not have the full knowledge of using VRD on cutting commercials, when you have to run adcut to cut them

In VRD, get to where you want to start the cut (ie: beginning of commercials), press F3. Move to where you want to end the cut (ie: end of commercials), press F4. Note the marks on the progress bar. Press DELETE. The section between the 2 marks on the progress bar should now be red. Repeat until the rest of the program is done. Press CTRL-S to save to another file name.
You should now have 2 files, 1 is the original, and the other is the edited version without commercials.

You can also use the .VPrj file from KMTTG's adscan by opening it in VRD. Pressing F5 will move the cursor to the previous mark on the progress bar, and F6 for the next.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #4495
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post

Failed to generate metadata file: I:\VIDEO\KMTTG Videos\1 mpg Output Directory\Once Upon a Time - ''Tallahassee'' (Recorded Nov 4, 2012, WAAY).mpg.txt

Does that folder exist on that drive or is that an error?

~~~~~

Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #4496
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It looks like you do not have the full knowledge of using VRD on cutting commercials, when you have to run adcut to cut them

In VRD, get to where you want to start the cut (ie: beginning of commercials), press F3. Move to where you want to end the cut (ie: end of commercials), press F4. Note the marks on the progress bar. Press DELETE. The section between the 2 marks on the progress bar should now be red. Repeat until the rest of the program is done. Press CTRL-S to save to another file name.
You should now have 2 files, 1 is the original, and the other is the edited version without commercials.

You can also use the .VPrj file from KMTTG's adscan by opening it in VRD. Pressing F5 will move the cursor to the previous mark on the progress bar, and F6 for the next.
I understand completely how to edit the files and use adcut, that really isnt my question. I have been using kmttg and vrd for a few years now, but have not really focused on the chapter part until now.

I manually edit the open the vprj file because the automated ad detect is only so go, so I edit it, save the project file, then go back to automated processing for the adcut and delete operations (following the workflow I listed)

Transfering chapter marks (cuts points in VRD) to some format to be able to use them in encoding mkv files is my main question, with the secondary being peoples experiences with videoredo vs handbrake vs XYZ.. for encoding.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #4497
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I understand completely how to edit the files and use adcut, that really isnt my question. I have been using kmttg and vrd for a few years now, but have not really focused on the chapter part until now.

I manually edit the open the vprj file because the automated ad detect is only so go, so I edit it, save the project file, then go back to automated processing for the adcut and delete operations (following the workflow I listed)

Transfering chapter marks (cuts points in VRD) to some format to be able to use them in encoding mkv files is my main question, with the secondary being peoples experiences with videoredo vs handbrake vs XYZ.. for encoding.
Pressing A will put/remove chapter marks. The only known effect is on DVDs.
VRD has a version that handles h.264 for an extra cost and its not widely released, it must be downloaded from their forum.

~~~~~

Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #4498
sanjonny

Quote:
Pressing A will put/remove chapter marks. The only known effect is on DVDs.
VRD has a version that handles h.264 for an extra cost and its not widely released, it must be downloaded from their forum.
Not to be a pain or an ungrateful lought, but i know that. I have the 264 version. Could you please read my initial question again and if you know the answers to the concerns, let me know, otherwise, you are not really helping me.

I have been able to encode mpg files cut to mkv/h264 with chapter marks at cut points, but it has been hit and miss. Hopefully someone on the board has specific experience with this and can help answer my questions regarding what i originally stated and also the comparison if anyone has done it of the h264 encoding of vrd vs say handbrake or some other software.

It feels like you just skimmed my question and threw out something each time, or i horribly wrote my questions because your responses seem off the mark. Perhaps i did horribly write them, in which case i can provide more description, but i think hercules understood exactly what i was/am looking for.

If i find the answer myself, i usually post it to help others, but knowing there are true experts on here, i figured somebody does what i am trying to do every day and could help walk me through it or help me see what i am missing.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #4499
lrhorer

Quote:
Huh? h.264 support is in the mainstream release.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #4500
lrhorer

Quote:
Are you getting that error with every file, or just that file? If the latter, my first guess would be the quote marks might be giving you problems.

Quote:
No, why would you think that?