Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Eve6MediaHQ

Premiere XL4, MoCa and Time Warner Cable NYC

Here's my situation:

- I just bought a TiVo Premiere XL4, which has a MoCa adapter built-in
- I have Time Warner Cable's "Roadrunner" internet, in what is termed as "Southern Manhattan," and use a Tuning Adapter with an M Card on my TiVo.
- I'd like to ditch my wireless adapter and just use MoCa (networking over Coax) to connect my Premiere XL4, ensuring higher speeds and opening up the possibility of purchasing a TiVo Stream.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get MoCa to work in my apartment. Here is what I've tried so far:

- At first, I thought that using my tuning adapter as a passthrough to my TiVo was causing the issue. I purchased a splitter, but that didn't do the trick.
- Next, I tried removing the Tuning Adapter from the mix and plugged my coax source directly into the back of my TiVo. MoCa still didn't work.
- I reached out to Time Warner to ask if MoCa should work in my apartment, and after some roundabout conversation, they said the wiring should work, but they don't offer support unless someone purchases their "whole-home DVR" service. Here's the conversation with Time Warner Cable support: https://twc.sdx.socialdynamx.com/por...rsation/219166

So, TiVo Community, I bring this dilemma to you: how can I connect my brand new TiVo Premiere XL4 to my network without using my wireless adapter? Is it a possibility, or am I wasting my time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Eve6MediaHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Just to be clear: you have another MoCA adapter connected to your router, right? I don't see you mention that, so I wanted to clarify that point. In order to use the built-in MoCA of your XL4 you'd still need another MoCA adapter (bridge) to connect your MoCA network to the rest of your network (and through that, to the internet).

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moca.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Eve6MediaHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Just to be clear: you have another MoCA adapter connected to your router, right? I don't see you mention that, so I wanted to clarify that point. In order to use the built-in MoCA of your XL4 you'd still need another MoCA adapter (bridge) to connect your MoCA network to the rest of your network (and through that, to the internet).

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moca.html
Oops. That would appear to be the missing link. I inadvertently read this TiVo support article and assumed I didn't even need an adapter:
http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moca.html#2b

Now that I read it more closely, I see that having the adapter is a prerequisite. Oops!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yep, that's your first problem then!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Eve6MediaHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Yep, that's your first problem then!
Looks like the cheapest option for a MoCA adapter is the official TiVo one, huh?

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-ac...ing/index.html

And for instant gratification, it doesn't appear MoCA adapters are sold in ANY stores?