TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

M-Card Swap

I've bought a Premiere 4 to ultimately replace a Premiere - both with Lifetime service - the Premiere with Life will get resold on Ebay or Craigslist very soon - once the P4 is fully installed. I'd love to be able to get it up for sale before Christmas passes...

I can get the P4 online right away, and transfer seasons passes - BUT - I wonder if the M-Card from the installed Premiere can simply be taken out of the current unit and popped into the P4?

If NO - it's not worth fully setting up then for a few weeks - as we are also moving to another state.

If YES - I'll be able to pull the current Premiere out and drop in the P4 seamlessly.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
MurrayJimW

You'll have to call your cable co to pair the card with your new Tivo. Each card has a unique serial number which must be "paired" with the unique Tivo identifier for them to operate properly. You can use the same M card, but you'll need to make that call...
MurrayJimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

As was mentioned, the only thing needed is to call the cable company and get the card paired with the new box. In some cases you may be able to get a lot of the digital channels without re-pairing but don't count on it. Also, if your cable system has analog channels as well, they will no longer be accessible on the P4 like they were on the P2.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
... for a few weeks - as we are also moving to another state.....
alarm bells

assuming the new state has the same cable company as your current diggs, who knows what moving the cable card from one head end to another does. Even assuming the new head end has the same brand cards (moto vs cisco/scientific atlanta) who knows if they allow equipment from one head end to move to another head end? (might be possible i just dont know)

very likely the drone at 1-800-cableco wont know anything. You probably need to see if they have a moving department or at least someone with a brain they can transfer you too.

Speaking from experience the people answering the phone at 1-800-comcast have no idea how to unpair and repair cablecards from one device to another and wont even transfer you to someone that will- they will insist on a truck roll.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
alarm bells

assuming the new state has the same cable company as your current diggs, who knows what moving the cable card from one head end to another does.
The cable card stays with the cable co that issued it.

There was a guy on another thread that bought a cable card off ebay.
The cable co he was connecting to could not (or would not?) make it work.
Teeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
The cable card stays with the cable co that issued it.

There was a guy on another thread that bought a cable card off ebay.
The cable co he was connecting to could not (or would not?) make it work.
Yes it is generally the property of the cable company. (although some cable companies opted to SELL the cards rather then rent - as is permitted by the laws/regulations- at one point I recall service electric of NW NJ and NE PA was doing that)

So in theory sure it works anyplace where that cable company is. But in reality when they can't even fix a problem in the same headend- moving to a different place is... well... who knows.....

Also if you are moving from a moto headend to a cisco headend then NO it doesn't matter that it's the same cable company.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
alarm bells

assuming the new state has the same cable company as your current diggs, who knows what moving the cable card from one head end to another does.
No worries, it's going to be an entirely different cable company on the other end - The cable cards I have at the moment will get returned and new ones installed on the other end.

The only point of this temporary exercise would be to get the Season Passes up and running perfectly on the new box - making it easy to plug and play on the other end.. - And to free up the existing Premiere TCD746320 with Lifetime as quickly as possible so it might sell before Christmas at a decent price.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
ghostrider45
Ghostrider45

There's a good chance that your new cable company will have a different channel number mapping. If so then you'll have to redo your season passes after the move anyway.
ghostrider45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider45 View Post
There's a good chance that your new cable company will have a different channel number mapping. If so then you'll have to redo your season passes after the move anyway.
actually, if i recall correctly, tivo will match up the channel names- so it wil figure out to move your TBS season passes from channel XXX on the old provider to TBS channel YYY on the new provider. Only the local channels will get fubar'd (assuming the new state is far enough away to have different broadcast locals)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Just to follow up - in the existing location - same cable company - the MCard came out of one Tivo and went into the new P4 and worked just fine after a while. -

it wasn't instant, but it did eventually work without any programming on the part of the cable guy (who I had scheduled).