TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
cwiesner

Tivo Stream is relatively noisy

Just as a warning, if you are sensitive to fan noise you may have issues with the Stream. I can hear it from across the room both when it's active (higher fan noise) and even when it's quieter.

While it's not loud, it's easily the noisiest component near my TV -- louder than the Elite, Cisco tuning adapter, Airport Express router, etc.

I might think about either returning it or leaving it unplugged except when I need it (not ideal).
cwiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
subVert

I put my stream off of a switch my my network in the basement so I didn't even realize that it made any noise. I haven't physically seen it since I plugged it in. After reading your post I had to go down and visit the little guy. It certainly is noisy.
subVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
jfh3

My first one was noisy. The replacement is much quieter. But it will soon go downstairs so the noise won't matter. A pretty powerful chip inside the box, so I'm glad there is a fan and not just a heat sink.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
dsnotgood

Can you move your router or just get a long Ethernet cable and put it somewhere else, like in the next room or something.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine is loud too. But only sometimes, and mot just when I'm using it. I have mine in my office next to my main PC. Sometimes it's quite, pther times it's whining like a bad GPU fan. I hope the fan isn't dying. Or if it is I hope it dies soon so it's covered under warranty.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
cwiesner

Can't move my Stream easily (in a corner of a house built on a slab foundation).

Honestly was just a constructive complaint and a caution to buyers -- I wish Tivo had engineered the box a little better to be quieter. Sure, it's transcoding, but my Elite is recording on 4 channels and is still as quiet as can be. I'm typing this on my MacBook with no audible fan. Quiet can be done.
cwiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
modnar

Interesting. Perhaps just a more robust material in the housing could quiet it down. Maybe they imagined most of these would be in a closet or office.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post
Interesting. Perhaps just a more robust material in the housing could quiet it down. Maybe they imagined most of these would be in a closet or office.
I wasn't planning to put mine in a closet/cabinet when I get it. But now after hearing about the noise and temps, I'll either put it next to my AP or router. They both have a small whisper quiet fan blowing air on them so that should help with the heat from the stream as well.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
smbaker

You could always put duct tape over the vent holes in the case. That ought to quiet it.

(no, don't do that)
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Brad Bishop

Something I do: Get some folding cooling racks (like for cookies) and stack them up so that your Tuning Adapter, SlingBox, and TiVo Stream all have plenty of breathing room.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
dwblessed

Tivo Stream

Can this airplane motor be put in a cabinet and still transmit to another room? I was planning on taking it back.
dwblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

You only need an ethernet connection to your LAN. You can put it anywhere as long as it's connected to your LAN.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
wrecklass

Really interesting. I wasn't even aware the Stream made any noise until I read this thread. I went over and picked it up and noticed it right next to my ear. And despite my age I hear fine.

In the same room with the TiVo I didn't hear it at all over the noise the TiVo 4XL makes. That is quiet enough it doesn't tend to bother me at all.

I wonder if I got lucky and got a very quiet Stream, or if others got very noisy ones compared to mine.
wrecklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

The noise mine makes seems to come and go. It doesn't seem to correlate to when it's being used, so I don't think it's just ramping up due to heat. Although maybe it is heat and it just doesn't do a good job or normalizing the heat so the fan kicks on/off over the course of a day. Mine is sitting on my desk where I work*, about 4' from my head and about eye level, so it may be in an optimal position for me to hear it.

Dan

* Only place I had an open port on my network without rearranging things.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
robpgreer

I agree completely. The fan noise is unacceptable. I had to hang the device off a switch in my garage. If I didn't have such an option, I would have probably returned it--it's that loud.
robpgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Has anyone cracked the case open to see whether there's a good, likely aftermarket cooling option?

My family has been enjoying the Stream but had to move it to a location where the whine is a little annoying.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
BigJimOutlaw

If anyone's willing to hax0r it, I think the screws to open it are hidden under the rubber feet.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Be advised that opening any TiVo product will void the warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
button1066

The only problem I have with the fan is that it doesn't seem to do a complete job of cooling unless you stand up the Stream on one of it's edges to get better air flow. Normally it's not an issue but if you like to have it streaming out live TV for extended periods (sports games on iPad as a second screen for instance) it will overheat. At least mine did till I put it on its side.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #20
habibrobert

I dont suppose you can stream live tv on this?
habibrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibrobert View Post
I dont suppose you can stream live tv on this?
You can stream live TV if there's a tuner that's not recording anything.

Although technically it's not "live", it's a buffered recording, but from the iOS end it acts like live TV.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblessed View Post
Can this airplane motor be put in a cabinet and still transmit to another room? I was planning on taking it back.
The stream DOES NOT do any wireless transmitting from the unit itself. It utilizes your existing wireless set-up (WAP).
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
ducker

hm, mine is in my office and I don't notice any sound coming from it.
If I'm downloading a show - and touch it it is warm to the touch, but other than that it's quiet.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine has a whine when the fan is spinning, but the fan doesn't necessarily coincide with when it's working either. It just randomly fires up several times a day even when I'm not using it.

Dan
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
OC7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
hm, mine is in my office and I don't notice any sound coming from it.
If I'm downloading a show - and touch it it is warm to the touch, but other than that it's quiet.
Same for me. Mine's in my office and I don't hear it at all, but it does get a little warm to the touch.
OC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

When setting mine up in my home office, I was surprised by how much fan noise this little thing made. Now that it's configured and living in my network equipment closet, I don't care. I would NOT put this thing in a media room or anywhere I wanted quiet.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
bananagrabbers

Count me among the stunned regarding how much noise this box produces. It's also warm to the touch at all times.

I'd simply like to know why. I just installed it, and transferred one show (last night) and yet it still sounds and feels like it's doing a ton of work.

I have it in my office, so I don't mind the light noise, but I do worry about how long this unit will possibly last. Sounds like an eight-year-old laptop.
bananagrabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
compnurd

Mine is in my living room right near where i sit and I dont hear it at all
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #29
metivo

I noticed my Stream being very noisy as soon as I powered it up a few weeks ago, and the whining noise is there whether I'm streaming or not. Noise Patrol on my iPhone 4S reports the noise at 23 dB with the iPhone microphone about .5 cm from the right side of the Stream (with both flat on a desk).

I complained to TiVo, and they sent me a replacement Stream, which I got today. It is perhaps 1dB quieter, but that difference is in the margin of error (or should I say, in the noise...). Both the original and replacement are noticeably noisy.

In addition to the fan noise, the box is resonating, acting to amplify the sound a bit, which of course makes it worse. It is sometimes less amplified while I'm holding it, though the fan is just as loud then. So this seems like an acoustic design error plus a slightly noisy fan.

Standing it on an edge doesn't affect the loudness.

Because of the noise, I first moved it out of my office into the TV room, but it was too noisy in there too. So I moved it into an unoccupied room that has a network connection. Anytime I walk in there I immediately notice the annoying whine.

I was really hoping the replacement Stream would not have the noise issue, but I see here that most Streams have this problem. A poor design.

The manufacturing dates on my two unit are something like Oct 8, 2012 (original one) and Oct 25, 2012 (replacement).

If anyone has what they think is a very quiet Stream, please post the manufacturing date from the bottom of the unit. Thanks.
metivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #30
compnurd

Mine is from 10/12 and I dont hear it at all
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote