TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #331
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have found that pretty much any company, when I call them about an issue with an old product, tries to convince me to upgrade to a newer one. From the CSR's perspective, it's likely an effective solution. I don't believe that this is considered a "marketing opportunity", but rather a way to solve the customer problem most quickly at the lowest cost to the company.

The THR22 doesn't have THIS problem. It does have other issues that have not been addressed.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #332
Lucymort

"....but rather a way to solve the customer problem most quickly at the lowest cost to the company." This is the very definition of viewing a problem as a potential marketing opportunity. Exploiting a need or want that is being unaddressed (in this case, continuous service). It is Directv that is leaving this issue unaddressed, although I am sure it is a complex, not easily solved issue. My point was that at this point, Directv should have gotten out ahead of this, and also should be far more apologetic and conciliatory towards its customers than it has been. All customer service reps should acknowledge this is a known issue - no one should be told otherwise at this late date. It's fine to ask if someone wishes to upgrade, but not to have it pushed on them because they have an older Tivo that has been rendered nearly useless by Directv itself. If one upgrades, one also has to sign a new contract, as I understand it. Is this to its customers' benefit, or more to Directv's benefit? Just asking. It's true that most companies do this now. I think it's part of a script - every time I call Directv for any reason, they try to get me to upgrade. I am saying this is not the time to use that particular script, and they would have a lot more customer good will if they realized that.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #333
RLJinCT

I'm not happy about losing 7 mins or so from a scheduled recording due to a reboot, but in perspective there are people in the metro New York area still without electricity or heat.

This, too, shall pass.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #334
warnmar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Not true. ...
I'd agree with you if they were proactively notifying users of the problem. As it is many users, myself included, assume/d it was our hardware failing. I was shopping for replacement hardware when I stumbled upon this thread last week.

While the engineers may be working diligently to resolve the issue the company seem to be taking serendipitous advantage of the situation to get users to replace their owned hardware for new leased hardware.
warnmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #335
imaref

Three reboots today already.

I'm not a computer programmer, but this is my guess. They made some change to the data stream that is meant to speed up or streamline the data for the newer units. Unfortunately, this newer data stream is somehow not compatible with the older Tivo units.

I'm also guessing that instead of fixing the problem right away (i.e. going back to the old type data stream that was working fine), they are trying to tweek the new data stream so that it also works with the older Tivo units. If I'm correct, they're going to keep on trying to tweak the new data stream until they stumble upon a way for the new data stream to stop rebooting the older Tivo units. If this is true, we're in for a long ride through customer service hell.

I've been such a fan of Directv (continuous customer since Dec. 1996) but this sure is leaving a bad, bad taste in my mouth. I've never thought of leaving them before, but that thought is starting to creep into my thoughts. I have company here all week for Thanksgiving and it's really frustrating that during prime time we can't enjoy TV without missing 6 minutes here and there.
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #336
satpro

Deliberate cover up? You be the judge!

All the series 1 & 2 directv tivos are having this same problem, but they choose not to notify all users by way of tivo message because why give up this advantage, instead why not take advantage of uninformed callers and turn it around on them, make them think their equipment has failed and make this a bankable opportunity to get a sub to commit and upsell them into HD or new hardware. Ignorance is bliss.

reboot as I type.

Keep posting on the twitter page each time you are waiting around for a reboot.

http://twitter.com/DIRECTVService
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #337
SteveDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnmar10 View Post
As it is many users, myself included, assume/d it was our hardware failing. I was shopping for replacement hardware when I stumbled upon this thread last week.
I don't know if the CSR's are being kept in the dark or not, but none I've talked to over the past week and a half were aware of this issue. I assumed it was my R10, so I bought a 2nd hand HR10-250 and paid $20 for a new card and had it activated (a long and painful experience) and found today (via this thread) that it's not my Tivo that's the issue.

And yes the 3 different CSR's I've talked to over the past week have all tried to get me to upgrade to replace my "faulty" equipment. I'm not impressed.
SteveDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #338
Lucymort

It can also take days for them to get a customer in the queue to get an HD dish and any new equipment installed - it took them five days to get here to fix a complete service outage at my house once. By then, there may even be a fix for this problem, although who knows? Those is in charge of Directv's marketing department and PR are not taking the correct approach in this situation, and thus, they are engendering the cynicism on this board. And, yes - this is just TV, and there are people without heat and water, and we need perspective - but Directv is certainly not helping provide it.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #339
satpro

Lucymort,

I have lived through that experience once for 2 weeks and another time for 5 days in 100degree heat so I understand that, while not as critical to people's live the dishonesty or shear ignorance in the way directv is handling this situation is just as sinister and incompetent as those essential utilities.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #340
Lucymort

Very, very well said, satpro. I can see this becoming a Harvard Business Review case study down the road in what NOT to do in a situation like this. Given that cable and satellite companies are already losing customers in droves due to the economy and the availability of online TV services, this whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #341
warnmar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDo View Post
I don't know if the CSR's are being kept in the dark or not, but none I've talked to over the past week and a half were aware of this issue. I assumed it was my R10, so I bought a 2nd hand HR10-250 and paid $20 for a new card and had it activated (a long and painful experience) and found today (via this thread) that it's not my Tivo that's the issue.

And yes the 3 different CSR's I've talked to over the past week have all tried to get me to upgrade to replace my "faulty" equipment. I'm not impressed.
After my post here I called the customer advocate phone number posted earlier in this thread. I still have not reported the problem to DirecTV but the customer advocate, armed only with my phone number, was able to tell me what was going on without me telling her first. She didn't try to get me to upgrade but did ask if I was aware of the advanced features of the new systems. I replied that I was aware but not interested and she did not mention it again. For good measure I sent an email to mike.white at directv.com as well. In my area we have the option of Comcast, U-Verse and Fios. I have DirecTV/TiVo because I like the TiVo integration. FWIW, I have Fios business Internet and phone in my house now. It wouldn't take much effort at all to have Fios TV. I will miss my dual tuner TiVo.
warnmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #342
notanonymus

3:05 PM Pacific Time USA, Just got off the phone with DirecTV customer service....they now are admitting right away that there is a system wide problem, and the engineering is how working on figuring out what they did wrong to cause all the rebooting, and to fix it....no time frame projected for the fix, but they ARE telling people that call in that they are now aware of the problem, that it affects many different receivers, and that is system wide, and most importantly , they claim that engineering is now working in it...

Meanwhile, I am still suffering reboots, even during simple playback of pre-recorded materials that don't have the reboot interuption.

AARRGGGG!!!! I hope this gets fixed quick.....probably no hope of a anjustment to the bill for their defective system....
Jen
notanonymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #343
derelict

I also just got of the phone with CS and the tech immediately knew about it. I told her I had just replaced the hard drives because of the upgrade to 6.4a and she told me it was a software problem on their part, has nothing to do with my hardware. So at least she came clean, but of course had no ETA for a fix. I did not ask for any recompense this time, but I will eventually.

Then for kicks I decided to check if my Tivo had reboot and it turns out it had while I was on the phone with D*....
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #344
Dmeza

The frequency is of these reboots are out of control

Its now the 11/19 and these reboot are continuous. does anybody have any relief of this issue? Has directv offered any recognition of the problem. I am running a philips DSR6000. In the last 24 hrs it has rebooted at least a dozen times.
Dmeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #345
cholly52

Unwanted Reboots

My Directv Tivo (R10) started last month (Oct.) to have problems with the Guide function. That was resolved by Directv, finally. Now, for the past couple of weeks, it has been suddenly rebooting. At first, I thought it happened when I was watching something that I had recorded while new shows were recording at the same time, but it happens randomly and is increasing in frequency. I've tried reauthorizing my unit through the Directv website and unplugging for 15 seconds, but it keeps happening.
I went on the web yesterday and found that this has been occurring to Directv Tivo owners as far back as 2007, but increased in 2010. I read that a number of the owners experiencing this problem were told by Directv to replace their units with the non-Tivo Directv unit. Many of them did this and do not like the new unit. I have one of those, too, and I don't like it. Many times the sound does not catch up with the fast forwarded or reversed picture, when I go back to normal speed to play. It is more difficult to control - more jerky. I also don't like the way that series recordings are set up or navigating to the to do list; there are several other features that are not as user-friendly as on the Tivo unit.
I was told that I should replace my unit because it was old and probably wearing out, but I did not have any problem before the most recent software update and too many other Directv Tivo owners are having this problem. I've been a Directv user for a number of years and am very unhappy and dissatisfied about this. I'm not on a contract and am considering changing to another provider. My other option is to suck it up and pay $199.00 for a new Directv Tivo unit, but will that one work or have the same problems?
cholly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #346
gilliane

Well. I decided to call Directv as I hadn't yet, and the CS rep knew nothing about the problem and wanted to send a technician out to me. I told him it was a known issue affecting hundreds of people, so he checked and found nothing about it. Seriously?

It just happened again about twenty minutes ago, so it's definitely not fixed.
gilliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #347
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I have found that pretty much any company, when I call them about an issue with an old product, tries to convince me to upgrade to a newer one. From the CSR's perspective, it's likely an effective solution. I don't believe that this is considered a "marketing opportunity", but rather a way to solve the customer problem most quickly at the lowest cost to the company.

The THR22 doesn't have THIS problem. It does have other issues that have not been addressed.
...or at the highest profit for the company. Those DTV Christmas bonuses are coming up pretty soon

BTW, it's interesting to see this twitter log and see that they are "selling up" to newer units...and that the "problem" will be fixed soon (what their definition of soon is, we don't know):

https://twitter.com/DIRECTVService

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)

Last edited by newswatcher : 11-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #348
ronsch

And another just before 19:00 ET.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #349
gilliane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
And another just before 19:00 ET.
Here, too. Missed the beginning of the Jeopardy Teachers' Tournament final
gilliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #350
draiyne

Day 12. Restarts still going strong here. All four units restarted at different times during the day. As many as 4 times/hour twice. Only one recording made it all the way thru without a restart.

It's 6:20 pm central time and all four units just restarted at the same time. (That's the first time I know of that all four restarted at the same time.)

I don't believe this is some grand conspiracy to get us to purchase new equipment but anyone who has ever worked on a large scale 'roll out' of any kind knows there's a 'rollback' plan in place. There are enough complaints (here/with CS/on Twitter) that a rollback should have been forced days ago. Instead they're allowing it to get worse by the hour.

Last edited by draiyne : 11-19-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
draiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #351
Dave in Houston

I'm also having multiple reboots per day. I found this thread before I started replacing hardware.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #352
satpro

7:55 it's reboot time!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #353
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
7:55 it's reboot time!
Just hit me too although a minute or two after you...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #354
lawnmowerdeth
Drunk

Glad I found this thread, my HDVR2 started rebooting about a week ago, I thought my power supply was going bad. I was getting ready to call and ask about a new HD Tivo. I don't think I want to pay all the extra new fees for one of those!
lawnmowerdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #355
gibbsinc

Jeez, come on DTV!!! Rebooting for over a week here!!

I just called and sent numerous emails!! "Engineering is working on it" BlahBlah-BULLSHyT!!

Last edited by gibbsinc : 11-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.
gibbsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #356
Dave in Houston

I've had three in the last hour. It's really unusable, even for watching material that's already recorded.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #357
FD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnmar10 View Post
I'd agree with you if they were proactively notifying users of the problem. As it is many users, myself included, assume/d it was our hardware failing. I was shopping for replacement hardware when I stumbled upon this thread last week.

While the engineers may be working diligently to resolve the issue the company seem to be taking serendipitous advantage of the situation to get users to replace their owned hardware for new leased hardware.
Exactly right. It's difficult to take seriously DirecTV's claim that "they're working on it" when day after day their own employees dispense misinformation like the following customer got:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliane View Post
Well. I decided to call Directv as I hadn't yet, and the CS rep knew nothing about the problem and wanted to send a technician out to me. I told him it was a known issue affecting hundreds of people, so he checked and found nothing about it. Seriously?
Either DirecTV is playing dumb or they are dumb. In either case, it's a shabby way to treat their longtime customers.
FD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #358
khooke

Glad I found this thread because we were convinced our aging Series1 SAT T60 was finally about to die! We've been having the daily reboots at least 1 a day for the past week or longer. Haven't kept track of the exact time up until now, but we've been getting one in the early evening, sometime roughly between 6:30 and 7:30pm PST, and we just started seeing it in the morning too.

I noticed on Twitter that @DirecTVService posted yesterday that the issue has been fixed, but it hasn't for us (and obviously other people here too) because we already had 1 reboot this morning, as well as 1 last night. I replied to @DirecTVService and they said to give them a call on 1-800-531-5000 - I'll be calling them this evening.
khooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #359
satpro

whammo 8:35 time for another primetime reboot!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #360
nuthkavi

I just had a new failure symptom. The DVR rebooted shortly after 5pm. When it came back up, I navigated the guide a bit and set up a recording. Shortly after, while I was watching live TV, the DVR became unresponsive: Live TV was playing just fine, but the DVR stopped responding to button presses from the remote or on the DVR itself (although the button presses resulted in the usual light blinking on the DVR). I pulled the power cord and let it sit for about 5 minutes before plugging it back in. It came up normally and told me it "was not able to find information for all channels" (as it usually seems to do after these reboots), I told it to show me live tv, it did, and became immediately unresponsive again. This time I told it to "try again" instead of going to live tv, and it seems ok now.
nuthkavi is offline   Reply With Quote