Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #181
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Thanks for sharing...just a little bit to get us all excited.
You're welcome... I'm shocked no one else has said anything. I tried to go back to see if there was any non-disclosure text at the beginning but can't since I've already finished the survey. I don't want to say more if I agreed not to and I can't remember if it had the same text as the TiVo Advisory Panel surveys.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #182
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
You're welcome... I'm shocked no one else has said anything. I tried to go back to see if there was any non-disclosure text at the beginning but can't since I've already finished the survey. I don't want to say more if I agreed not to and I can't remember if it had the same text as the TiVo Advisory Panel surveys.
Do you remember what the subject line of the email said or the email address it came from? I know occasionally in the past their have been owner's surveys for specific products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #183
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Do you remember what the subject line of the email said or the email address it came from? I know occasionally in the past their have been owner's surveys for specific products.
It came from Michaela as usual and the subject was: TiVo subscriber survey -- your opinion counts

Nothing unusual. I didn't even realize it was different until I was taking it and it re-directed to the outside survey company.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #184
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I tried to go back to see if there was any non-disclosure text at the beginning but can't since I've already finished the survey. I don't want to say more if I agreed not to and I can't remember if it had the same text as the TiVo Advisory Panel surveys.
This is the standard text that I've seen at the beginning of the surveys (note the second bullet point):

Interpret that how you wish.

I see it as a polite request not to distribute the information to outside sources and TCF doesn't count as an outside source (IMO).

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #185
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
You're welcome... I'm shocked no one else has said anything.
I have gotten all the other survey Email but still see nothing like what you have described. Maybe they are picking a smaller focus group based on demographics collected through previous surveys.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #186
innocentfreak

Well I just got a new survey similar to what Heather describes and there is no request not to disclose. I already did this month's survey so this is something different. I will have to take the survey at home though since I am about to leave work.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #187
innocentfreak

Well that was a big letdown. It was a general rate and comment survey. It definitely didn't match the subject line.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #188
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Well that was a big letdown. It was a general rate and comment survey. It definitely didn't match the subject line.
Was it the same one I got? The one that took you to another site to complete the survey? I got another survey today but it was from beta@tivo and was very basic. Quite different from the one I was referring to earlier.

Retired
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #189
Philmatic

Same here, I thought it was going to be mind-blowing and they just asked for normal information.

Edit: Ah, I see now, it all changes based on your answer to the frequency of you TV viewing. Select "I do not watch TV" for more information.

Without revealing too much, it IS a new feature, but it isn't mind-blowing by any measure. It has nothing to do with streaming, transcoding or anything hardware related. It's just a new way to present information when you turn on your TV.

Last edited by Philmatic : 11-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #190
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Same here, I thought it was going to be mind-blowing and they just asked for normal information.

Edit: Ah, I see now, it all changes based on your answer to the frequency of you TV viewing. Select "I do not watch TV" for more information.

Without revealing too much, it IS a new feature, but it isn't mind-blowing by any measure. It has nothing to do with streaming, transcoding or anything hardware related. It's just a new way to present information when you turn on your TV.
Oh that's the one I got today... from beta@tivo. Different from the one I was referring to earlier. I must not have answered correctly because i didn't get any info on the "new feature" my survey ended up being pretty basic. Guess I watch too much TV to fit the demo

Retired
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #191
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post

It sounds like poor wording on the survey. I read that as when I watch TiVo since it said TV and not Live TV. Why would you own a TiVo if you don't watch TV?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #192
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Man, this is confusing.

Meanwhile, I still ain't never got nada.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #193
beejay

Quote:
It sounds like poor wording on the survey. I read that as when I watch TiVo since it said TV and not Live TV. Why would you own a TiVo if you don't watch TV?
Yeah, same problem here. I watch my TV set when it plays back TiVo recordings, so I said I watch TV a lot.

Evidently I should have said I hardly ever watch live TV.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #194
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Another new survey. A few speed/stability/satisfaction questions and then right into all the non-TiVo stuff. One of the least interesting ones in a long time now.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #195
philw1776

The TiVo survey has become a stalking horse for non TiVo topics. May be a money making deal for TiVo.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #196
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
The TiVo survey has become a stalking horse for non TiVo topics. May be a money making deal for TiVo.
Huh?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #197
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Huh?
He is saying that perhaps they are just selling this non-TiVo survey data to third parties, rather than using it themselves. And that is quite possible.

It would be nice if TiVo explained more about WHY they are asking non-TiVo questions. I do find it a bit irritating and offensive. I am taking up my time, free of charge, to provide information to TiVo because I want me and others to have a better experience with the products- not because I want to help them make money on the side.

You might remember that we all started complaining LOUDLY when they starting asking non-TiVo stuff and made those questions *REQUIRED* in order to complete the survey. At least they made it optional a while ago.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #198
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
He is saying that perhaps they are just selling this non-TiVo survey data to third parties, rather than using it themselves. And that is quite possible.
Oh, okay. I understand now. Thanks. Very uncool if that's true.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #199
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I do find it a bit irritating and offensive. I am taking up my time, free of charge, to provide information to TiVo because I want me and others to have a better experience with the products- not because I want to help them make money on the side.

At least they made it optional a while ago.
It seems there is an obvious solution to your irritation.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #200
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. Here I thought I was obligated to fill out every form and field.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #201
nrc
Cracker Soul

I thought it was clear all along that TiVo shared their survey data with partners and third parties. Market research is part of their business. If you don't want to participate then don't participate.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #202
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
LOL... true. My irritation still persists from the time when it was not optional.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #203
Zaphod

Quote:
While I partially agree, I wish it were that simple. The other piece of it though is that while this was started as a means to gather feedback on Tivo stuff to improve the product, and I would love to participate in that, as of late it seems to have become more 3rd party marketing fluff and less about Tivo itself. It almost seems as though now they just include a couple of Tivo questions just to keep us interested and HOPING we'll fill out the rest, and I question now whether they're even really using the actual Tivo information. I WANT to provide feedback on Tivo itself and I don't mind answering a few questions about 3rd party stuff along with it, but now I question if it isn't all about the 3rd party stuff. If it has become just 3rd party stuff, I kind of wish they'd be honest about it and then I'd just drop out. It needs to go back to where it was more about Tivo and the other stuff thrown in.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #204
mrsean

I took this opportunity to let Tivo know what I think about their new mascot.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #205
newsposter
Poster of News

new mascot? after the software update it replayed the animation and i didnt see anything new

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #206
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
new mascot? after the software update it replayed the animation and i didnt see anything new
I think he sarcastically meant Teebo.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #207
waynomo
My One Time

I always thought the purpose of the non-TiVo questions was to help them market TiVo to advertisers. When going to potential advertisers they don't have anything like the Nielson ratings. So they can go to advertisers and say that our users are between such and such ages and like to do these sorts of things. So we hit your target advertising audience so advertise with us.

I have no problem with this. It is not like TiVo is making gobs of money. I like the product so anything I can do to help it stay healthy is a good thing in my book.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #208
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm sure that's the case. I have no problem with it either.
I'll be convinced it works if I ever see a star ad for Pizza Inn.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #209
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I think he sarcastically meant Teebo.
oh i dont watch commercials so i wouldnt know about such things, i have a tivo apparently not a bad thing in this instance

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #210
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

oh i dont watch commercials so i wouldnt know about such things, i have a tivo apparently not a bad thing in this instance
I don't either, but it's been plastered online everywhere.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote