TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #211
evvybuns

We too are having spontaneous "resets" 2 to 3 times/day. They occur when watching live TV and we are not changing channels, programming, or recording; just watching TV. This started around November 10th. Sounds like a common problem.
After reboot is complete it usually says "Sorry, not all satellite data could be found" or something like that, but the systems works fine.
evvybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #212
evvybuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHz View Post
My trusty SAT-T60 has taken to rebooting a few days ago like everyone else's here. Last night I couldn't even watch anything, it reboot 4 times in 2 hours. I gave up. My parent's RCA TiVo is doing the same as well. For me, the reboots are becoming more frequent and the time and channel are irrelevant!!

Yesterday I cloned the drive and put a new hard drive in just out of curiosity. No change in the problem, but I have more space now, and the old drive as a backup.

^ I don't think this is damaging to the boxes. The hard drive doesn't even spin down during the reboots, which is good!
Excellent troubleshooting, FastMHz! Two DVRs from different manufacturers in in different places (I assume) begin having the same problem at the same time. It ain't the DVRs! Nice to confirm that it's not the HD, too. Thanks!
evvybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #213
96Bravo

My HD 10-250 has been having the reboot problem described in this thread. Random times, as many as 10 times a day.
It is now exhibiting a new, strange behavior.

It is now rebooting less often. However, again, seemingly randomly, when watching live TV, the program freezes for a second and then begins to play in slow motion. If I rewind a few seconds and press play, the program continues normally. If I just do nothing, the slow motion continues until I change channels.

This is a unit purchased from Weaknees a year or two ago. 6.4a software.

Anyone seeing similar behavior? Possibly increased wear/tear on the HD due to several hundred reboots in the last week and a half or so?
96Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #214
bingoldsby

My - more frequent - resets yesterday (Sat. 11/17), Pacific Standard Time, were:

Sometime early in the morning (overnight)
8:58 am
10:55 am
1:57 pm
7:54 pm
8:53 pm
Probably after that before midnight, but not paying attention.

It's hard to catch it every time unless one is bed ridden and nothing else to do but watch DTV, but I'm convinced that the resets are increasing in frequency.

I do not believe there is any correlation to channels the receiver is sitting on, and I also do not subscribe to the stress on the drive suggestion. As mentioned the drive does not spin down during a reset. If that was the case, not many normal computers with spinning hard drives would survive very long.

Brian
bingoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #215
bearbig

Mine too. I've been away for a while, but before I left I was curious as to why I had 2 recordings of Haven from 11/9. The first was the first 10 min or so and the second was the remainder missing some time in the middle.
Wifey told me that it ( RCA DVR 80) re booted 3 times yesterday while it was re booting while I was watching a recorded program.
It has re booted twice today ( so far) the most recent being a few min. ago ( maybe 10:55 EST).
Oh joy, I thought thet this would not happen again! I remember the last time this happened!
bearbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #216
deek_man

Problems continue in DC. Unexpected reboot of Hughes series 2 TiVo at 10:52 AM. Tuners were on local network channels, NBC and ABC.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #217
bearbig

Update . Still trying to come back from the re boot. so far 10 min and counting.
bearbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #218
wbgolfer

Random Reboot Update - NJ

Since reporting early last evening 11/17 - I have had three more reboots -

#1) 11/17 8:45 PM EST -watching a pre-recorded show other tuner on local NBC CH 4 - transponder # 18 other tuner on HBO 502
#2) 11/17 9:09 PM EST - watching pre-recorded show other tuner on Music 801 and other on local NBC CH 4 - transponder #18.
#3) 11/18 10:52 AM EST - channel 360 FOX and other tuner on music 802

Prior to the 8:45 PM EST reboot I had one just after 7PM while I was watching the Notre Dame game NBC CH 4 -I reported this in an earlier post.

OF NOTE !!!! They, the reboots, appear to be occuring more frequently. I first reported problems about a week ago. At that time the reboots were 1 or 2 per day. Now they seem to be in the range of 3 - 4 per day. If you read the other threads - many member have mentioned this!
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #219
vanzalone
Tivo weenie

Thumbs down Found this forum after thinking I was alone...

I've been with DirecTv for over ten years, mainly for the NFL ticket.

Like everyone else here I have grown addicted to my old Hughes boxes and have been very reluctant to give them up. With Verizon FIOS now leaving offers in my mailbox every week enticing me to switch, I will very likely do so after the New Year.

To say DirecTv is "working the problem" is just silly. Being in the software industry, if you roll out a change that results in a large number of people having problems, YOU ROLL BACK THE CHANGE, period!

Its obvious that they made this change for other reasons more important than us and do not care about those "older" folks they are affecting.

If they don't need me, then I don't need them.

Last edited by vanzalone : 11-18-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: grammar
vanzalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #220
bstrohl

I don't think it is a channel/transponder issue. My boxes have reset on various ones at different times.
Also, I have been setting both boxes to record shows incase of resets. Sometimes only one resets and sometimes both have reset. For example, only one reset during NCIS:LA but both had reset during NCIS.
bstrohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #221
ralfsmouse

I have been following this thread for a while, and I just wanted to say that I have two DirecTivos, and R10 and an HDVR2, and they sometimes (If not all of the time), reboot at the same time! I was working in one room (with the HDVR2 in the same room) and I hear the fan kick up and the record and power lights flash. When I walked into the other room, the R10 was rebooting! They were on different channels, and neither was recording anything.

By the way, is there any possibility of dish types having an effect on this? I don't think that every DirecTivo in the nation is having this issue (I think Directv would work a little harder on a fix if that were so). So if it helps, I have an Oval 3 dish.
ralfsmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #222
Idearat

While in my overly wishful thinking mood, I'm hoping this problem with be bad enough for DTV to fix things and that the fix just happens to correct the bug they put in over the summer that resulted in my losing most of the local channels.

This one would affect me more if I haven't already been forced to resort to downloading stuff from the major networks since the DirecTiVo doesn't think I get those channels.
Idearat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #223
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
So now we have a third confirmation of the fact that the reboots occur at the same time when 2 receivers are tuned to the same channels/transponder.
Be careful about assuming that both tuners were on the same channel because they always will be after a reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
Mine just rebooted a couple of minutes ago (not at five to the hour, though), while I was watching a recorded program. It's now going into the fourth attempt to re-acquire information from the satellite. This is new - it usually gets it on the second try. Both tuners are on DIY now that live TV is finally available.
Lucy - If you just select the 'watch available channels' option when the acquisition doesn't complete in time the acquisition finishes almost immediately rather than starting from scratch.

my reboots from yesterday: All times Eastern

4:15, 8:35, 13:28(on ESPNU), 17:53, 19:24.

Today so far - 1:23, 3:51. I'm obviously overdue for one. :-) :-)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #224
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbig View Post
Mine too. I've been away for a while, but before I left I was curious as to why I had 2 recordings of Haven from 11/9. The first was the first 10 min or so and the second was the remainder missing some time in the middle.
Wifey told me that it ( RCA DVR 80) re booted 3 times yesterday while it was re booting while I was watching a recorded program.
It has re booted twice today ( so far) the most recent being a few min. ago ( maybe 10:55 EST).
Oh joy, I thought thet this would not happen again! I remember the last time this happened!

Same thing happened to my 10pm receording of Haven on syfy then rerecoreded midnight showing of Haven and it made it through with no interuption.

I am up to 10-12 reboots a day per receiver,

Last night at 3:07am, 3:17am, 3:49am eastern, 3 reboots in one hour, several more since, but the interesting part was that directv removed some sub channels (originally added 10 days ago) 450-1 through 455-1 from the guide during that moment and that direction from the satellite seemed to reboot the box even though at the time I was on channels from the 101 location. So have all the other reboots like those that always happen at 25 and 55 minutes been the boxes choking on guide changes?

As for dish type it does not matter, some of my boxes are set for 101 only and they reboot, others have 101 119 and 95 and they reboot as well.

I have also noticed a symptom about 5 seconds before the reboot happens the picture will freeze and you loose audio and then both continue for 3-4 more seconds before crashing the receiver and going into reboot.

I am thankful I had many great years with my directivos. I hope directv gets it's act together and gives us something else to be thankful for.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #225
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
Same thing happened to my 10pm receording of Haven on syfy then rerecoreded midnight showing of Haven and it made it through with no interuption.

I am up to 10-12 reboots a day per receiver,

Last night at 3:07am, 3:17am, 3:49am eastern, 3 reboots in one hour, several more since, but the interesting part was that directv removed some sub channels (originally added 10 days ago) 450-1 through 455-1 from the guide during that moment and that direction from the satellite seemed to reboot the box even though at the time I was on channels from the 101 location. So have all the other reboots like those that always happen at 25 and 55 minutes been the boxes choking on guide changes?

As for dish type it does not matter, some of my boxes are set for 101 only and they reboot, others have 101 119 and 95 and they reboot as well.

I have also noticed a symptom about 5 seconds before the reboot happens the picture will freeze and you loose audio and then both continue for 3-4 more seconds before crashing the receiver and going into reboot.

I am thankful I had many great years with my directivos. I hope directv gets it's act together and gives us something else to be thankful for.
I noticed the same picture/audio disruption preceding a reboot while I was watching a pre-recorded show so I suspect it's just an unexpected reboot phenomenon rather than something specific due to this problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #226
gilliane

Well, thank goodness, I guess. I'd moved my DVRs around a couple of weeks ago and the one I now watch most has been randomly rebooting. It's old and I was worried I would have to replace it, but now at least it sounds like that's not the case. Hopefully Directv will fix the problem soon.
gilliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #227
ralfsmouse

An Interesting development:

After the latest reboot, my R10 was taking a long time to acquire information from the satellite. After sitting for a long time at 97%, it came up with the "Could not acquire information" screen. However, my channels still seem to work.

Also, I did push Thumbs up to see details, but I forgot to write it down. (Sorry!)
ralfsmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #228
MartinHines

I have been having DirecTV Tivo receiver re-booting problems since Hurricane Sandy.

I have four DVRs:
-- one DirecTV DVR (DirecTV R22-200)
-- three Tivo DVRs (HNS SD-DVR80, DirecTV DVR-R10, HNS HDVR2)

For the last two weeks ONLYthe Tivo DVRS are re-booting, multiple times a day, always at least once a day. The non-Tivo DVR has not had any problems.

I had a DirecTV technician at my house yesterday to try to fix the problem. It turned out my DirecTV dish (Round, single LNB) was out of alignment due to Hurricane Sandy winds but that did not fix the problem (our Tivo DVRs rebooted a few hours after he left).

I contacted DirecTV today (Sunday, 11/18/2012) to re-open my problem ticket. The rep told me that DirecTV was aware of the problem with older Tivo DVRs rebooting and "Engineering is working on the problem". They have no estimate for the fix.

I will post here again if and when the problem is fixed.
MartinHines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #229
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

Has anybody pulled the satellite cable from their TiVo while trying to watch previously recorded shows to see if the reboots stop? The bad data stream should be cut off so at least you can watch stuff, and then plug the cable back in later. I'm going to try this later when I watch something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FastMHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #230
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvybuns View Post
Excellent troubleshooting, FastMHz! Two DVRs from different manufacturers in in different places (I assume) begin having the same problem at the same time. It ain't the DVRs! Nice to confirm that it's not the HD, too. Thanks!
Yup, different locations and the reboots started on the same day....Things got wonky soon after DST changed, so at first I thought the time change broke something. But my TiVo has the time correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #231
deek_man

Yet another reboot of a series 2 Tivo at 1:43 pm EST. My reboots are also getting more frequent.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #232
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek_man View Post
Yet another reboot of a series 2 Tivo at 1:43 pm EST. My reboots are also getting more frequent.
Yep, mine at 10:43am PST, same time 3 hour time difference. Anyone else same reboot time? Fortunately, I wasn't recording any of my Christian programming which I do on Sundays...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #233
bingoldsby

Mine reset at 10:52 am PST (accurate time recording and observation of reset).

With my R10, I've NOT ONCE had a problem with "last stop: acquiring information from satellite." It happens quickly and correctly the first pass. I do not have any additional programming beyond the 2nd tier level of service (no locals or premiums).
bingoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #234
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

My Series 1 SAT-T60 always acquires information successfully and promptly. My mom's Series 2 RCA gets stuck and needs a couple more manual reboots to get satellite data successfully.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #235
Mitch85

Quote:
Has anybody pulled the satellite cable from their TiVo while trying to watch previously recorded shows to see if the reboots stop?
Yes, and the reboots stopped.

I was getting multiple reboots an hour when the cable was plugged in. I unplugged the cable for about 48 hours and did not get any reboots when it was unplugged. I plugged it back in and started getting reboots again.

For the past four hours I've had the cable plugged in, but with both tuners on non-existent channels. So far no reboots.

I have an R10.
Mitch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #236
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher View Post
Yep, mine at 10:43am PST, same time 3 hour time difference. Anyone else same reboot time? Fortunately, I wasn't recording any of my Christian programming which I do on Sundays...
Yes same time as both of you and I was on local station spotbeam transponder channels at 1:43 eastern.

This is where we get back to, it seems that directv might send down some commands to add or delete channels in the guide at a certain time every couple hours and that locks up the receivers.

Quote:
Has anybody pulled the satellite cable from their TiVo while trying to watch previously recorded shows to see if the reboots stop? The bad data stream should be cut off so at least you can watch stuff, and then plug the cable back in later. I'm going to try this later when I watch something.
Yes tryed the thing with disconnecting the satellite inputs and it stops the reboots in my test last week.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #237
iamgrout

http:twitter.com/DIRECTVService/status/270226175132041216

(can't post a link, add the two slashes)

Looks like they're claiming it's fixed... hope so, busy recording schedule tonight.
iamgrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #238
ronsch

Don't want to jinx it but haven't had a reboot is almost 12 hours. I didn't have the one at 13:43 that the rest of you are reporting. Was on NFL Sunday ticket on both tuners at the time.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #239
gadgetmann

Even when it's off

We have two Phillips Series 2 (DSR704) units. The one up stairs reboots at least once a day (it is only used lightly). The one downstairs reboots more often and is also used more. It is not watched much during the day, but my wife has observed it rebooting even then.
This thread has been very helpful. It is annoying that a software patch is needed but replacing hard drives is also a hassle.
I haven't read every post, but I found some very plausible explanations on this thread. If they (DirectTV) changed the format of the data downloaded for the program guide, it would explain the timing and the fact that so many different units (of a particular vintage).
Fortunately, the two units in our house do not reboot at the same time or we would have missed Fringe the other night. (I recorded it on both units and the downstairs unit rebooted at 35 past the hour.)
gadgetmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #240
lfclark

I just got off the phone with technical support. According to the 1st tech she just heard about the rebooting issue today 11/18/12, but the engineers were working on it.
I told her I found that hard to believe that direct tv hadn't had any complaints until today. Because it's been at least a couple of weeks for me.And for the engineers already working on it from today sounded like a load of crap. She then told me "well maybe since yesterday".
I asked for her supervisor she proceeded to tell she just became aware of the issue a couple of days ago.
I mentioned the HD recorder works fine and there is your solution to quell all of the complaints.
Do they think we're all sheep willing to just follow and not complain.
It looks like a daily phone call or killing the service and go to Netflix and computer links and those are looking pretty good.
Already have Netflix on one tv, there's a lot of shows.
lfclark is offline   Reply With Quote