TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Last Resort S01E07 "Nuke It Out" 11/15/2012 *SPOILERS*

This was a strange episode. It seemed even more disjointed than the last one. At least the last one was disjointed on purpose, but this one seemed to be trying to tell too many stories without enough time.

What was with the scene where Cortez told the Captain she was still with him, and then he reprimanded her for seeking him out alone? I got a vibe that there may be some kind of history between them, but couldn't tell for sure. Either way, that scene just came out of nowhere and made no sense.

Overall, it just seemed like they didn't have an A story for this episode, so they just threw together a whole bunch of B and C plots and tried to make them work.

So Chaplin wasn't pissed enough to do something to Serrat when Serrat killed one of his crew, but now he kills one of Serrat's men when he straps a bomb on her? Seems like a double standard.

At least we learned in this episode how the writers intend to stretch this plot out to a full season and maybe beyond. The sub crew represents the resistance to the administration of the current president, and as long as the sub is rogue, the president continues to get weaker and will eventually have to resign. So some faction is trying to keep the sub out there.

Frankly, I think the political stuff in DC would make a more interesting story. I wish they'd show us more of what Autumn Reeser's character is up to (but I could do without so much of XO's wife).
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
sbelew

The sound went out the last 15 minutes or so on Directv, and the episode isn't on the website yet.
sbelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

This show is basically a soap opera now.

And, it's pretty scummy of Chaplin to have one of his men execute a prisoner. If you want to stop these guys, go to war. Do it in a standup fight.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
jneugeba

I was on the fence about this but the last two episodes really did it for me. Bye bye. Has there ever been a show with so much promise go down so fast?
jneugeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
rahnbo

It really does seem to be going down the toilet very fast although I didn't find anything strange about it (unlike the previous horribly disjointed ep). The idea that protocol hasn't been established to account for every soldier and prevent them from being abducted by now is absurd as is the fact that Serrat remains alive. I agree on the soap opera part.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Interesting - I feel exactly opposite. I struggled to get through the first couple episodes (after the 1st, which was really good), but it's become really interesting over the past 3.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What was with the scene where Cortez told the Captain she was still with him, and then he reprimanded her for seeking him out alone? I got a vibe that there may be some kind of history between them, but couldn't tell for sure. Either way, that scene just came out of nowhere and made no sense.
Basically, Cortez was telling the Captain, in a slightly roundabout way, that if he needed to, she would let him tap dat azz. And he was telling her, thanks, but that's inappropriate, so no thanks.

There was a scene a few episodes back where Cortez went into the Captain's quarters to discuss something with him and when she went to close the door, he made a point of telling her to keep it open. I just assumed that it was his (or the Navy's) SOP to not be alone in a closed room with a female sailor in order to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, but given that I can't recall a similar scene taking place with any other female, maybe there is an unknown history there.

Other thoughts:

It is now officially comical the ease with which Serrat's men can just go and kidnap a sailor anytime they want. It is also inconceivable that the Cap wouldn't just kill Serrat and his entire crew now after what they did to the COB. If they take out the whole gang, I doubt they'll have to worry about an insurgency from the rest of the island.

The XO is totally getting played by the BlackOps Guy, IMO. I think BOG is working for the President's faction.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Basically, Cortez was telling the Captain, in a slightly roundabout way, that if he needed to, she would let him tap dat azz. And he was telling her, thanks, but that's inappropriate, so no thanks.
That's how I interpreted that scene too, although something about the scene seemed off.

Quote:
The XO is totally getting played by the BlackOps Guy, IMO. I think BOG is working for the President's faction.
I'm afraid of that. Who should the XO trust more? His captain, who he has a lot of history with? Or this broken arm guy whom he just met? It would be an interesting storyline if everything that broken arm guy said was true, but I fear the worst from him.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Broken-Arm Guy's premise doesn't make sense. He's saying that if the sub stays rogue out here on this island, it will embolden the resistance to the current administration and POTUS will have to resign. But that will only work if Chaplin is removed and XO takes over? Isn't Chaplin now the worldwide symbol of this rogue sub? If he's removed, XO takes over, and then XO refuses to deal with the current administration and continues the stance that Chaplin had, then wouldn't XO be viewed the same way as Chaplin is now?

In other words, I agree that Broken Arm is playing the XO and just trying to get them to mutiny on Chaplin so the USN can then take them down.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

The question is, is the XO really falling for it, or does he know the BOG is playing him, and he's just playing along to see if he can find out what's really going on?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

So Cortez is the CIA "mole" on board?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
That's certainly what the scene of her hiding the launch key would lead one to believe.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
cherry ghost

Quote:
That's certainly what the scene of her hiding the launch key would lead one to believe.
which means she probably isn't
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
busyba
The Funcooker

exactly

Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
which means she probably isn't
I don't think this show is that deep. The BOG implied, and Chaplin confirmed, that there is a widespread rumor that every US sub has a CIA sleeper on board who is tasked with removing the launch key from the Captain if anything ever goes wrong. Later, we see that Cortez has the key. I don't think this show is going to try and pull a LOST and have there be some long, convoluted explanation that is different than what it appears. Cortez is the mole.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
TampaThunder

Quote:
Broken-Arm Guy's premise doesn't make sense. He's saying that if the sub stays rogue out here on this island, it will embolden the resistance to the current administration and POTUS will have to resign. But that will only work if Chaplin is removed and XO takes over? Isn't Chaplin now the worldwide symbol of this rogue sub? If he's removed, XO takes over, and then XO refuses to deal with the current administration and continues the stance that Chaplin had, then wouldn't XO be viewed the same way as Chaplin is now?

In other words, I agree that Broken Arm is playing the XO and just trying to get them to mutiny on Chaplin so the USN can then take them down.
Broken Arm guy specifically said that the problem right now is that everybody, current administration and resistance, thinks Chaplin is crazy. Presumably, if the XO takes over and remains rogue than the resistance effort is enhanced. That's all I got.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
Broken Arm guy specifically said that the problem right now is that everybody, current administration and resistance, thinks Chaplin is crazy. Presumably, if the XO takes over and remains rogue than the resistance effort is enhanced. That's all I got.
But they think Chaplin is crazy because he took his sub and went rogue and fired a nuke at the US. If XO takes over and still doesn't return the sub, maintains the sub by continuing to threaten to fire off nukes, then won't the XO be viewed as just as crazy?

From the administration's perspective, getting Chaplin out leads to the return of the sub and bringing the crew home. If that's not the result, then removing Chaplin was pointless.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
stellie93

The politics of this is weird. This is the US--how does 1 rogue sub bring down the President? Was this guy elected? You would have to have proof of the things he's done and people to testify against him; a big impeachment trial..... The sub is an embarrassment but why would the country blame the President? Maybe I'm missing something....
stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
The politics of this is weird. This is the US--how does 1 rogue sub bring down the President? Was this guy elected? You would have to have proof of the things he's done and people to testify against him; a big impeachment trial..... The sub is an embarrassment but why would the country blame the President? Maybe I'm missing something....
It all goes back to the pilot episode. We saw a newscast where Congress was about to start impeachment hearings. Then the Colorado received orders to fire on Pakistan, refused, was attacked, and then someone else fired on Pakistan. So the speculation all along has been that the President manufactured a war to divert attention from the fact that he was about to be impeached. And now there's all kinds of conspiracy going on in DC, some factions trying to protect the president, some trying to get him kicked out.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I swear her uniform said "Rivera" but I may have been hallucinating.

How about keeping the key around your neck for days through the whole search and shakedown and THEN deciding to hide it?

Put on Your "Bogie" Shoes - Strawberries
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

"Then there was the matter of the strawberries. I knew there was a key and would have found it if I had enough time!"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
rahnbo

Well we won't have to suffer much longer as its been cancelled.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I interpreted it as they were having the sexytimes on the sub in the past, and she wants him to know that she is available for that again, but he was saying he is under more scrutiny now and cannot... but he'd still like to if he could.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
stellie93

Quote:
It all goes back to the pilot episode. We saw a newscast where Congress was about to start impeachment hearings. Then the Colorado received orders to fire on Pakistan, refused, was attacked, and then someone else fired on Pakistan. So the speculation all along has been that the President manufactured a war to divert attention from the fact that he was about to be impeached. And now there's all kinds of conspiracy going on in DC, some factions trying to protect the president, some trying to get him kicked out.
If you're about to face impeachment hearings, I would think bombing a country out of the blue (was it a nuke?) would be the worst thing you could do. It would show people that they need to get rid of you quickly. Unless the VP was..... well I won't mention any names.

Does anyone know if all 13 episodes have already been filmed? It would be nice if they were given a chance to tie up loose ends. I actually like this show.
stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
sieglinde

I hope they do have an actual final episode tieing this up.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I hope they do have an actual final episode tieing this up.
"We’re going to give you no-holds barred kick-ass ending…"

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/last...cancelled-abc/
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
"We’re going to give you no-holds barred kick-ass ending…"

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/last...cancelled-abc/
That doesn't mean there will be an actual wrap-up, however.

I would be a little surprised if there were, depending on where they are in production. They've probably already wrapped for the season, but it's possible there's still time to re-write (if they haven't) or tack on a new ending (if they have).

But I have a feeling what he is referring to there is an existing plan to end the season with a "no-holds barred kick-ass ending" that was designed to set up the second season.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Arcady
Stargate Fan

They haven't filmed the last episodes yet and they still have time for rewrites.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
They haven't filmed the last episodes yet and they still have time for rewrites.
Citation?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
Arcady
Stargate Fan

How about the Hawaii Film Office? Shooting is scheduled into December 2012:

http://www.hawaiifilmoffice.com/current-productions

And you're right, that's not enough proof.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, hopefully they'll have enough time to do it right!