TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #181
deek_man

Response to sat pro:

At 2:55 PM, when it rebooted, I was watching a recorded program. But the tuners were on 285, investigation discovery, and MSNBC, 356.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #182
satpro

Deek-man,

msnbc and syfy are on the same transponder 11 @ 101 west satellite,

channels on this transponder include:
ESPN 206
ESPN2 209
BRVO 237
Spike 241
USA 242
Syfy 244
TNT 245
FX 248
COM 249
A&E 265
CNBC 355
mnbc 356

csadoian and newswatcher,

What channels were the tuners on when the 11:50am pst reboot hit your boxes?

Please everybody start posting your channel #s and reboot times, so we can figure it out. If you know what channels both tuners were on that is even better. Thanks
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #183
deek_man

Sat pro...Unfortunately, I don't know what channels were tuned during earlier reboots. It could very well have been MSNBC but unlikely to have been any other channel on transponder 11 since I haven't typically watched those lately. From now on, I'll watch carefully which channels are tuned when a reboot occurs and I'll post it.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #184
wbgolfer

REBOOT Channels

FYI --- Random reboot this morning approx. 8AM EST I was listening to MUSIC on 802 on my upgraded TVIO Series 2 and the other rebooted a very short time later and it was tuned to CBS Channel 2 - I was recording a show on that DVR.

Hope this helps identifiy that specific channels are the root of the problem ?????
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #185
tas3086

Thumbs down Tech support "download" did not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
I haven't heard of any solution from my DirecTV sources yet, so I'm skeptical. I'm guessing he just reauthorized your Tivo's subscription because there's not much else a CSR can "download". Let us know if it worked.
Nope, sorry, the "download" option did not work. another restart 2 hours later.

I'll call in tomorrow, again.
tas3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #186
moonchilddave

4:57pm here in MD - both Phillips DSR704's rebooted about 2 minutes after getting off the phone with DirecTV support. Was told fairly quickly they were aware of the issue and were working on a fix. Did not try to offer me anything - just said to check back in a few days if it was still an issue.
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #187
hdikos

In Maryland. Was watching a recorded show in the last hour and my series 2 Hughes rebooted twice in 15 minutes. Called DTV last night and the CSR was no help, but made sure to log the complaint on our account.
hdikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #188
wbgolfer

Reboots 6:28 PM EST

Update - series 2 DVR rebooted 6:28 PM EST as I was watching Notre Dame on Channel 4 NBC. (LOCAL CHANNEL) other recorder on Music Channel 801.

Does anyone really believe that this has something to do with the Channel/Transponder ?????
ME - I doubt it !!!!!
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #189
kajar59

rebooting

hi just got off the phone with directv and they said it is a known issue and they have ther techs looking in to putting in an update to fix it but they are aware of it and are trying to fix it they said maybe within the next 72 hours
my tivos are rebooting to they said the update would come via the dish when they get an update i hope they fix this

sd-dvr 40
running 6.4a
kajar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #190
ayouch

Thumbs down And once more with feeling

Had the dreaded 7:55 p.m. reboot while watching the Notre Dame game on local Fox (30 in Jacksonville, FL.) Unsure what channel the other receiver was on at the time.
ayouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #191
thomas2727

I like many others have been following this message board after contacting Weaknees about having my Sony T-60 and Hughes R-10 repaired.

My frustration grows daily as the resets seem to be getting more frequent and the information from Directv seems to be scarce.

I Tweeted to @DirectvService and at least got a response albeit it's the standard response.

"Thomas, sorry for the problems. Our Engineers are working to resolve them. We appreciate your patience."
thomas2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #192
texasbrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2727 View Post
I like many others have been following this message board after contacting Weaknees about having my Sony T-60 and Hughes R-10 repaired.

My frustration grows daily as the resets seem to be getting more frequent and the information from Directv seems to be scarce.

I Tweeted to @DirectvService and at least got a response albeit it's the standard response.

"Thomas, sorry for the problems. Our Engineers are working to resolve them. We appreciate your patience."
What response do you expect? Yes, DirecTV knows about these issues. Yes, TiVo engineering is working on the problem. When they find the problem and fix it, I expect we will know....
texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #193
ayouch

9:25 p.m.

9:25 p.m. (EST) reboot on local Fox (30 in Jacksonville.) Both receivers were on the same channel.
ayouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #194
satpro

So now we have a third confirmation of the fact that the reboots occur at the same time when 2 receivers are tuned to the same channels/transponder.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #195
Booman70

everyone should call dtv log the problem dont let them talk u into a clear & DELETE or new equipment they created the problem let them fix it
Booman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #196
Lucymort

Mine just rebooted a couple of minutes ago (not at five to the hour, though), while I was watching a recorded program. It's now going into the fourth attempt to re-acquire information from the satellite. This is new - it usually gets it on the second try. Both tuners are on DIY now that live TV is finally available.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #197
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
Mine just rebooted a couple of minutes ago (not at five to the hour, though), while I was watching a recorded program. It's now going into the fourth attempt to re-acquire information from the satellite. This is new - it usually gets it on the second try. Both tuners are on DIY now that live TV is finally available.
I've begun playing "TiVo" tag: when my living-room DVR reboots I have the same football game or show on the bedroom DVR, which has never rebooted at the same time as the living-room unit, continue watching until the other DVR reboots.

Ah, the wonderful world of DTV! Not.

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #198
imaref

Here in Maryland - 4:57PM reboot was the only reboot of the day UNTIL THE LAST 31 SECONDS OF THE OKLAHOMA/WEST VIRGINIA GAME! ARGH!!!
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #199
Lucymort

Newswatcher, I sympathize. I have taken to having another TV in the house tuned to the show I am trying to watch on the Tivo, just in case of random reboots - then, I can run into the other room to watch, without waiting for my energy-saving TV to warm up, so I don't miss anything. I try to watch some shows live, since I have gotten so many partial recordings. It is taking a lot of planning just to watch a show at this point. Recording two shows at the same time is a complete crapshoot. But, Directv is working on it, and may get it fixed in a few days! Or not....
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #200
DDROW

Here in Missouri HDVR2 rebooted at 7:12pm and 9:55pm the last 2 reboots. Both times the 2 tuners were tuned to Lifetime 252 and Hallmark 312. I have 3 other HDVR2s and they are rebooting at a different time than the other one. They are all three on 304 TVLand and rebooting at the same time. On these 3 I am only using 1 tuner.
DDROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #201
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
Newswatcher, I sympathize. I have taken to having another TV in the house tuned to the show I am trying to watch on the Tivo, just in case of random reboots - then, I can run into the other room to watch, without waiting for my energy-saving TV to warm up, so I don't miss anything. I try to watch some shows live, since I have gotten so many partial recordings. It is taking a lot of planning just to watch a show at this point. Recording two shows at the same time is a complete crapshoot. But, Directv is working on it, and may get it fixed in a few days! Or not....
Interesting, Lucy. When I spoke with the lady at Advocate office last week, I informed her that I was once the International Sales Director for a group of major music publications magazines and if we sent out 1 or 2 issues with blank pages the uproar would have been enormous, and that our company would have made it right with the printer or whomever and, most importantly, our customers. DTV is not exhibiting "best practices" towards it's customers. She understood completely but couldn't promise a quick fix.
So now customers are forking over their hard earned money for new DVRs just so they don't have the problem. Conspiracy theory? I don't know...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #202
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
I just wonder how exactly they are troubleshooting this at directv or tivo since I asked to have their engineering call me so I could give them more specifics about channel # where it occured and directv ad inserted commercial breaks. But they told me from directv presidents office that engineering does not speak to customers. I wanted to let them know that when I have 2 different receivers tuned to the same channel the reboots occur at the same time.
Keep posting reset times and any additional information you think that will help DirecTV and Tivo troubleshoot this problem. There are indeed watching this thread.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #203
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booman70 View Post
everyone should call dtv log the problem dont let them talk u into a clear & DELETE or new equipment they created the problem let them fix it
Or simply post that information here. They are monitoring this thread.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #204
radarrab

More spontaneous resets

On 11/13 there was a partial recording (:17) of a program on at 10:00 p.m. PST. There was no reboot with that. I decided to set my second recorder up with the same season passes, as a backup. They're both older (Directv HDVR2, R10, both software version 6.4a).
On 11/15 a.m., I think between 7-9:00, a spontaneous reset occurred. I don't know if anything happened during the day, but at 8:24 another happened (in the middle of a recording). Since the first partial happened, I looked at the second recorder, and it was also resetting at the same time.
After I called Directv, who ruled out time conflicts, space, and I already checked the signal, they said they'd send out a tech. It happened again after I hung up.
The tech basically said both receivers were going and he'd have to replace them. I didn't want to lose my recordings and frankly, despite what he said, disbelieved him since both were resetting at the exact same time. I've worked in IT. I ended up cancelling the service call for the time being.
Now, 11/17, they both reset twice tonight.
radarrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #205
thomas2727

"What response do you expect? Yes, DirecTV knows about these issues. Yes, TiVo engineering is working on the problem. When they find the problem and fix it, I expect we will know.... "

Thanks Mr. High & Mighty.

How will we know? Please enlighten the other readers of this board on how the information will be shared by Directv?

Methinks you are just trolling.

The Twitter answer was the first time Directv admitted to me there was a problem. Four phone calls over the past week to multiple phone numbers did not do it. Only a public complaint got any type of admission of a problem.

Nothing like posting your first comment and some sorry ass message board vigilante feels the need make a snide comment that adds nothing to the discussion.

Thanks Mr. Message Board Vigilante.

Don't bother responding.

This will be me last visit to this board.
thomas2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #206
gansemer

Me too...

At least I know I am not alone. If it hadn't been for the fact I have 2 rebooting DVRs I would have thought my hardware was failing. I was already considering a move to Dish or Uverse, this may seal the deal. I suspect this is an attempt to get my 12 year old Hughes GXCEBOTs with lifetime Tivo subscriptions off their system.
gansemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #207
hkyfrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Or simply post that information here. They are monitoring this thread.
I sure hope they are.... After the last reboot my r10 does not work anymore! it restarts, aquires sat info, and goes to guide with no pic. As soon as i press any button on the remote everything freezes. The red light on the dvr doewnt even flash red when any button is pressed. I am sure that "I" broke this!
hkyfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #208
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Multiple hard reboots per day is probably not good for the hard drive. I'm surprised more people aren't reporting box failures from this.

If I were still running DirecTiVos, I would have unplugged them until this mess was over.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #209
bjbiffle

Another rebooting customer

Just thought I would log my experiences here in case Directv might use this data to expedite the resolution.

I have three SD tivo's and all are experiencing the frequent reboots. I have not detected any similarities in the time period. I almost always have at least one or two on channel 360.

I did notice it started a few weeks ago but now it is very often, sometimes multiple times in the same day or even in the same hour.

I have called Directv twice. I do not believe the first rep was aware of the issue, but researched and found that it was a known problem. The second rep offered to let me upgrade my equipment for a discount that would still cost me around $267. I asked for a supervisor and spoke to a team leader who also offered me a discounted equipment upgrade and agreed to an adjustment for DVR fees for I believe 6 months, maybe longer (was not clear). She was unable to tell me whether similar issues affect their new HD Tivos but seemed to think they might.

I emailed their customer advocate team and did get a response that basically said they are aware of the problem and working on it.

If this was a short-term issue, maybe for a week or two, it would be OK to just put up with it, but several weeks is unacceptable. I've been a customer for about 8 years but am seriously considering a change in providers.

Thanks to everyone who has posted helpful info here. It's been good to learn I am not alone and benefit from some of your insights.
bjbiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #210
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

My trusty SAT-T60 has taken to rebooting a few days ago like everyone else's here. Last night I couldn't even watch anything, it reboot 4 times in 2 hours. I gave up. My parent's RCA TiVo is doing the same as well. For me, the reboots are becoming more frequent and the time and channel are irrelevant!!

Yesterday I cloned the drive and put a new hard drive in just out of curiosity. No change in the problem, but I have more space now, and the old drive as a backup.

^ I don't think this is damaging to the boxes. The hard drive doesn't even spin down during the reboots, which is good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FastMHz is offline   Reply With Quote