TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #151
T-Halen

I won't claim to have kept up with all the different models over the years, but I didn't see my box listed in the 5 pages of messages so far. I think it's a DirecTiVo Series 1. It's a Hughes GXCEBOT and it's been rebooting the last couple of days. I saw it happen with my own eyes twice today (once interrupting recordings), but know it's been going on for several days now. Just wanted to add my voice to the list of those affected.
T-Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #152
imaref

SIX reboots today so far. It's getting worse instead of better...
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #153
Lucymort

I just e-mailed the Customer Advocate Team. I told them the response I have gotten from Customer Service so far is entirely inadequate. I am not expecting anything back, really, but I find that it helps me feel a bit better to let them know they are not handling this well. I don't want a bunch of PR thrown at me about how rare this occurrence is. Something that is happening daily (and multiple times to many people) can hardly be called rare. I hope they continue to get feedback from as many people as possible, as this seems like a slow response to a BIG problem.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #154
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
SIX reboots today so far. It's getting worse instead of better...
Today the reboots have been much worse then the last 8 days prior, they are now happening every 2 hours or less, and reaching the point of becoming completely intolerable

Directv is supposedly reading this thread and so I pose the question, at 12 reboots a day is that unacceptable?

If we paid for this month's service on a credit card should we all protest the charges? Why is directv not issuing a public press release at least acknowledging the problem and apologizing to viewers? Will there be automatic credits issued for the entire length of the incident to all directv tivo users?

What good is my directv service if it is continuously interrupted by reboots triggered by some untested change that directv has implemented and it now appears cannot undo.

With a holiday week coming up I am doubtful we will see any fix or change.

I hope I am wrong.

If you contact directv via email make sure to include your account info in order for them to log your complaint.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #155
Lucymort

I just resent an e-mail to the Customer Advocate Follow-Up team with my account number, as I had not included that in prior communication. I agree with satpro that Directv is handling this very badly. I hope that they work hard this weekend to come up with a fix, but I doubt this will be the case, and with the holiday coming up, it could be a while before we get any real answers. Sigh....
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #156
Lucymort

From the Weaknees blog, just for everybody's information:

DirecTV TiVos are Rebooting, Everywhere . . .
Posted on November 15th, 2012, by Michael
Since this past weekend, we’ve been getting flooded with emails and phone calls about DirecTV TiVos rebooting. Reports include basically all units except for the new THR22 HD TiVo. So this DOES include the older HR 10-250 HD TiVo, and all SD TiVos for DirecTV.

While we don’t know the cause of the situation, considering that it clearly affects Series1 and Series2 models all over the country, the source of the problem must be the satellite signal. Many affected units are not plugged into phone lines. And we’ve had no similar wave of reports about either non-DirecTV units, or about DirecTV DVRs that don’t run TiVo.

We do have some queries in to various contacts. But we have no information as of yet.

There’s a thread over on TiVoCommunity that covers the issue. It’s mostly just a list of people saying “yeah, me too” at this point, but if you have this problem, it’s worth keeping an eye on the thread.

We’ll be sure to update everyone if we learn more. Hopefully, the problem will disappear just as mysteriously as it arose.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #157
draiyne

Still experiencing the restarts here too. They happened at least 4 times that I know of today. Today was the worst day as far as interrupted recording goes. I don't think one program I had set for today made it all the way thru. I reported it but as with everyone else they were no real help as I have no interest in upgrading to the new receivers at this time.

Something interesting (to me anyway) has also happened this week. My units are not (and have never) been continuously connected to a phone line. I plug them in once a month or every 6 weeks or so to force a call just to get rid of the "please make a call' message.

It is physically impossible for the units to call in unless I force them to because there isn't a phone outlet near them. I have to plug a long cord in another room and drag it across the house to force the calls. But yet 3 of the units say they successfully made calls this week:

2 DSR7000 units say they succeeded on the 14th

1 HDVR2 says it succeed on the 10th

and the DSR 6000 says what they all normally say "Failed. No dial tone." Last successful call Monday Oct 22. (That is the last time I forced a call for all of them).

Normally between forced calls they all say "Failed. No dial tone". And like I said it is physically impossible for them to have even made a call. I don't have a setup where I could have just forgotten to unplug the phone. There's no way to miss a long phone cord stretched across the house.
draiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #158
csadoian

Rebooting

I, too, have noticed an increase in reboots (restarts, as DirecTV likes to call them). I have noticed that both my TIVOs consistently reboot at around 9:50pm PST, which totally screws up anything recording from 9-10pm.

My wife and I were watching a recorded show tonight while two shows were recording starting a 9pm. At around 9:45pm, as we were finishing watching the prerecorded show, I said to my wife (half joking), "well, it almost 9:50pm, time for the TIVO to reboot and screw up the the endings of the shows being recorded". No soon than I had said that the TV screen went blank, followed by "powering up". By the time it finished rebooting (complaining about not being able to get all the guide data) the shows were over.

I am more than pissed now. I'm sure by now DirecTV has enough feedback to know something they did on the 8th of November screwed things up royal for the SD Tivos and if they can't identify the problem and get a patch out they need roll back the changes until they do.

Chuck
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #159
biker
Outlaw

I had 3 reboots today. I wish they get this fix.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #160
dherm8or

Same here I have 4 units that are doing it
dherm8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #161
bingoldsby

This whole thing has caused me the trouble and expense of replacing my hard drive and power supply in the R10, before discovering all this conversation about the true nature of the trouble.

I've had my R10 for many years (about 2005), and I did have the drive and power supply on hand and sitting on the shelf, waiting for the inevitable time when one of those would crash and burn. But, I'm sure there have been many folks out there who have been lead into a lot of unnecessary expense and inconvenient actions, trying to get their TiVo DTV units "repaired."

Time heals most wounds, and I'm sure this is one of them. I did send an email to DTV Support. I got a message back saying that they couldn't do anything for me if I didn't pick up the phone and call them. I did not call.

I'm NOT an IDIOT!!

Brian - out on the Oregon Coast

Last edited by bingoldsby : 11-17-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: fix spelling
bingoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #162
cdcochrane

rebooting too

Me too, 2 HDVR2's, rebooting at least twice per day for over a week now.
cdcochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #163
T-Halen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoldsby View Post
I did send an email to DTV Support. I got a message back saying that they couldn't do anything for me if I didn't pick up the phone and call them. I did not call.
I got the same reply, but I followed up and got a better one.

We are aware of the issues with your TIVO receiver resetting themselves two times or more a day. This is not the type of experience we want you to have, as our equipments and systems are highly reliable, making technical problems like this rare.

While we do not have an exact time on when this issue will be resolved, I assure you that our Engineering Department that specializes in resolving these unusual cases continues to work diligently in finding ways to resolve this issue the soonest time possible.

T-Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #164
John T Smith

And here I thought the problem was with my equipment!
1st noticed a problem 11-8 with HR10-250 restarting
Replaced with another HR10-25 on 11-9 (I have a couple boxes in reserve)
Had to replace 2nd HR10-250 with an R10 on 11-12 due to restarts
Now, the R10 is also restarting

If DTV doesn't fix the problem with the data stream, I may just have to upgrade this location to HD (already have HD service, and two HD DVR in other places)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
John T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #165
wbgolfer

REBooting Continues !!!! Same Problem Deja Vu -

The rebooting continues and we continue to hear that Directv is working on it!!! Directv has to know by this time that what ever change they rolled out has effected thousands of loyal customers.
Also -They have to know the exact date and time of the rollout -by now !
Question - Anybody who has every worked on a project with a ROLLOUT knows that there must always be a ROLLBACK Plan !!!!!
Question to all reading this - WHY hasn't Directv done a ROLLBACK ?????

The info below is called blowing smoke you ur butt !!!!

I understand how you feel about your DIRECTV TIVO receiver resetting themselves and we are sorry for your interrupted programming experience. Our Broadcast Center is still investigating to resolve this issue. Let me assure you that your service experience is rare and we do not take it lightly. We strive to provide you estimated time to resolve this issue real soon.

For the meantime, we asked for your patience as we work overtime to restore your programming. We have developed advanced technology throughout the years making our state-of-the-art equipment, as well as the television reception on your system highly reliable. Our entertainment system is supported by a vast network of technical and engineering experts who are committed to providing you the best
entertainment experience.

We appreciate your time and continued loyalty to DIRECTV.

Sincerely,

Haydee G. - 100394242
DIRECTV Customer Service
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #166
wbgolfer

Rebooting Problem has happened B4

My apologies - forgot to include this in my previous POST ---
How many recall that Directv did this same thing to us about 2/3 years ago.
(OCT/NOV)
It went on for over a month and finally they admitted that they screwed up.
At the time many bought new units or sent their units in for repair. Only to find out it was a Diretv probem. I know - becasue I did and that's is how I ended up with 2 TIVO's - cost me $120 bucks.
And I bet there are TIVO's right now buying new units !!!
Directv should be posting on the MESSAGEs & SETTINGS screen advising all customer that there is a problem !!!
This is called CUSTOMER SERVICE !
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #167
tas3086

Time will tell if this solution worked

Just called in to tech support. He had a solution. He "downloaded" some changes to my system (somehow) and then walked me through the satellite guided setup process, verifying that all of my setup options were correct. He said to do this to all my other dtivo units, which I did. He said "that should cure the problem".

Half hour well spent on the process. ....
BUT TIME WILL TELL.

So everyone call in and ask for the downloadable fix.
tas3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #168
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas3086 View Post
Just called in to tech support. He had a solution. He "downloaded" some changes to my system (somehow) and then walked me through the satellite guided setup process, verifying that all of my setup options were correct. He said to do this to all my other dtivo units, which I did. He said "that should cure the problem".

Half hour well spent on the process. ....
BUT TIME WILL TELL.

So everyone call in and ask for the downloadable fix.
I haven't heard of any solution from my DirecTV sources yet, so I'm skeptical. I'm guessing he just reauthorized your Tivo's subscription because there's not much else a CSR can "download". Let us know if it worked.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #169
Lucymort

One further thought: If DTV won't ultimately miss our business if we choose to leave, why are they offering credits and free services to placate those who are upset because of this very issue?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #170
nmiller855

After experiencing a reset a few minutes ago, I called DirecTv & was told ther has been no solution. At least the guy I spoke to didn't act like it was something new. He didn't offer any discount & I didn't ask for one yet but listening to my dad complain every time it happens is getting hard to deal with.
I try to explain to him that ther is a glitch that is being worked on but he doesn't want to hear that when the end'of his orogram is cut off & over before the TiVo recovers.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #171
satpro

Let's keep the comments to either our experience with directv customer service regarding this issue or our expeirence with our directv tivos rebooting.

Please redirect all energy to argue at directv.

Whining allowed just not about each other.

Last edited by satpro : 11-17-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #172
imaref

2:20PM here in Maryland--NO reboots so far today. Knock on wood...
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #173
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
Let's keep the comments to either our experience with directv customer service regarding this issue or our expeirence with our directv tivos rebooting.

Please redirect all energy to argue at directv.

Whining allowed just not about each other.
Couldn't agree more, satpro...that goes for me, too, the advice that is...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #174
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
2:20PM here in Maryland--NO reboots so far today. Knock on wood...
They continue for me Saturday 11/17; 1:25am 6:25am 9:42am 2:55pm 4:25pm 5:25pm 5:55pm 9:25pm

I just wonder how exactly they are troubleshooting this at directv or tivo since I asked to have their engineering call me so I could give them more specifics about channel # where it occured and directv ad inserted commercial breaks. But they told me from directv presidents office that engineering does not speak to customers. I wanted to let them know that when I have 2 different receivers tuned to the same channel the reboots occur at the same time.

Last edited by satpro : 11-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #175
csadoian

Another reboot, around 11:50am PST.
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #176
deek_man

I'm having 3 to 4 reboots a day here in Washington, DC. Interestingly, the last one was at 2:55 PM Eastern same as sat pro. It's been going on for at least a week. I have a Hughes series 2.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #177
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek_man View Post
I'm having 3 to 4 reboots a day here in Washington, DC. Interestingly, the last one was at 2:55 PM Eastern same as sat pro. It's been going on for at least a week. I have a Hughes series 2.
What channel were you on?

Trying to figure out if it is channel or transponder specific,

We were on 244 syfy transponder 11 @ 101 west satellite

channels on this transponder include:
ESPN 206
ESPN2 209
BRVO 237
Spike 241
USA 242
Syfy 244
TNT 245
FX 248
COM 249
A&E 265
CNBC 355
mnbc 356
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #178
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by csadoian View Post
Another reboot, around 11:50am PST.
Yep, mine at same exact time. More than coincidence... Lost part of the Michigan game...could lose a lot of gametiime today plus tomorrow NFL.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #179
rooster34203

I emailed directv and got a response to call them. when I did they told me they had 2 other instances of the same thing and then tried to sell me upgraded equipment
rooster34203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #180
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster34203 View Post
I emailed directv and got a response to call them. when I did they told me they had 2 other instances of the same thing and then tried to sell me upgraded equipment
"2"??!! I told Corporate that their CSRs were ignorant of this problem. This confirms my comment. I also told corporate yesterday that DTV reps are "selling-up" due to this problem, which is just plain greed. She denied that. DTV is not fulfilling the "best practices" part of business moral character when they do this.

The term "best practices" is used in organizational settings to refer to any activity, process, method, or behavior that is judged to be the most effective. Best practices are those methods that are most efficient, effective, and result in fewer complications and failures. Best practices are not "good ideas" or suggestions. They are proven strategies for anyone who wants the best possible outcome in a given endeavor.

DTV could be using "best practices" to their advantage or to the advantage of the customer. Not sure on which one is their end game. I don't like to indulge in "conspiracy theories" but the foot print here is manifesting, in fact, as a possibility of that being their game change endeavor at this point.