TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
SNJpage1

Increase storage

I want to either increase the storage on my TIVO HD or find a way to transfer them to my computer and burn to a blue ray burner. I have two choices for increasing storage on the TIVO, add the external drive or increase the size of the internal hard drive. I dont know if a second drive can be added internally or not on a TIVO HD. The other way is to transfer the program to my computer and then find a program that will burn the show to a blue Ray burner in HD. My wife says she needs to get me something for Christmas and is willing to by either a blue Ray burner for the computer or buy an external drive for the TIVO. I need pro's and con's from those of you have increased your storage size.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I want to either increase the storage on my TIVO HD or find a way to transfer them to my computer and burn to a blue ray burner. I have two choices for increasing storage on the TIVO, add the external drive or increase the size of the internal hard drive. I dont know if a second drive can be added internally or not on a TIVO HD. The other way is to transfer the program to my computer and then find a program that will burn the show to a blue Ray burner in HD. My wife says she needs to get me something for Christmas and is willing to by either a blue Ray burner for the computer or buy an external drive for the TIVO. I need pro's and con's from those of you have increased your storage size.
Look at the sticker on the back of the TiVo and find the model number that starts with TCD

Tell us what it is so we're sure everybody's talking about the same thing, and then we'll tell you what is and isn't possible.

And tell your wife that for the price of the 1TB "TiVo-compatible" external drive you can get a 2TB with which to replace the internal drive, depending on the TiVo model.

Tell her to search Amazon for WD20EURS, and keep an eye on it to see if the price dips back down around $100.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Have you determined if the shows are actually transferrable to your computer? Your cable company may have set the CCI byte = 0x02 which means you won't be able to transfer them. A larger internal drive is a better solution than adding an external drive. With an external drive, a failure of either drive means you lose your recordings.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
mattack

Go to the drive upgrade sticky thread in the S3 sub forum.

Get the jmfs CD and easily upgrade your TivoHD drive…

and/or download to a computer drive with kmttg (if they're not copy protected). I've done both in the past. It is nice to have a bigger drive in the TiVo, but it's ALSO nice to be able to have shows OFF the TiVo, since even if that drive has problems, it's formatted in your computer's filesystem, so you'll be able to recover shows off it more easily. (i.e. having them off the Tivo CAN be safer.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
SNJpage1

OK now to answer a few of the questions you have asked.

Model 540080

The shows we want to save by transferring are mostling a show called Cross Roads, Story Tellers, and Unplugged. They are music shows and so far none have been copy protected. Up until now I had been burning them on a DVD burner that is connected to my home theater system but it only records in SD so I lose the HD. Thats why I thought about transferring and burning them to a blu Ray disk and then play them on my Blu ray player. However, the larger hard drive would save a lot of time and be easier.

As far as the internal drive replacement it would give me a lot more storage but I have been told by Tivo if I replace the drive they wont do a $150 exchange if something goes wrong with the tivo. But I am not really too worried about that. If that was to happen I would probably buy a new 4 turner one.

The external 1T would give me 160 hours of HD recording space with the least amount of work and would cost me $119.

While we are discussing this I was wondering what program is available to burn files transferred to my PC onto a Blu Ray disk to keep the HD format. I looked at and tried the Video Redo software but It looks like it converts the HD to SD when burning to a disk.

I just want to add that the Tivo is hard wired to my network so I can usually call up a file from my computer and as it is transferring I can watch it with out it starting and stopping. So there are a lot of possibilites as to what I can do. I guess what I am trying to find out is how different people did this and if they are happy with the way they did it or would they do things differently if if had to be done again.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
SNJpage1

Mattack, I agree about having a backup of the files. I had recently transferred 12 music videos and three 30 minutes concerts to the Tivo. About a week ago the Tivo hiccupped and erased all the shows that I had transferred from the PC to the tivo. It kept all the ones that were still on the tivo. It also lost the ability to transfer shows from the PC to the Tivo and Tivo desk top could not see the Tivo. I ended up having to restart the Tivo and also had to uninstall the Tivo desktop and reinstall it. Not sure what happened to cause all of that.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
OK now to answer a few of the questions you have asked.

Model 540080

The shows we want to save by transferring are mostling a show called Cross Roads, Story Tellers, and Unplugged. They are music shows and so far none have been copy protected. Up until now I had been burning them on a DVD burner that is connected to my home theater system but it only records in SD so I lose the HD. Thats why I thought about transferring and burning them to a blu Ray disk and then play them on my Blu ray player. However, the larger hard drive would save a lot of time and be easier.

As far as the internal drive replacement it would give me a lot more storage but I have been told by Tivo if I replace the drive they wont do a $150 exchange if something goes wrong with the tivo. But I am not really too worried about that. If that was to happen I would probably buy a new 4 turner one.

The external 1T would give me 160 hours of HD recording space with the least amount of work and would cost me $119.

While we are discussing this I was wondering what program is available to burn files transferred to my PC onto a Blu Ray disk to keep the HD format. I looked at and tried the Video Redo software but It looks like it converts the HD to SD when burning to a disk.

I just want to add that the Tivo is hard wired to my network so I can usually call up a file from my computer and as it is transferring I can watch it with out it starting and stopping. So there are a lot of possibilites as to what I can do. I guess what I am trying to find out is how different people did this and if they are happy with the way they did it or would they do things differently if if had to be done again.
The TCD540080 is a Series 2, non-HD, no provisions for an external drive model.

The biggest single drive it can use is a 1TB, although since it uses a PATA/IDE controller it can use 2 of them.

There are two Series 3 models, the original TCD648250B and the HD, the TCD652160, both of which have been referred to as HD or the HD, due to TiVo putting a big "HD" on the box of the original S3 (the one with the OLED display on the front).

And of course the THX version of the TCD652160, the TCD658000, is called the HD XL, and to add to the confusion the original S3 is also THX certified and boots to a THX splash screen.

So, what's the model number of your other TiVo, the one with the cable card slots?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote