TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
haplo888

Netflix needs to stop changing resolution

If it needs to pause to buffer or whatever fine. But this constant resolution changing needs to stop.
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Are you using a Wireless G or N Adapter or hardwired Ethernet?

Hardwired works best, Followed by 5GHz Wireless N
If that does not solve the issue. De-select the 1080p option and Netflix should stop changing resolutions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

If what's bugging you is the change from 720p to 1080p and back (which'll generally cause a major visual hiccup on displays) then you need to set your TiVo's output resolution to 1080i-only.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
haplo888

Wired. 75mbp fiber optic to moca on the XL4.

And I get much better picture when each channel is shown in the resolution it's broadcast in, so I've always had my Tivos set to Native resolutions.

So my only fix is to set Tivo to 1080i-Only every time I want to use Netflix and then back afterward?

I think I'd rather provide them with feedback that they should use a buffering solution over a resolution changing problem.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
And I get much better picture when each channel is shown in the resolution it's broadcast in, so I've always had my Tivos set to Native resolutions.
And how many channels are you getting that are broadcast at 1080p24? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing "none" . I wonder how useful TiVo expected 1080p24 output to be when they added the capability, without including the capability to output any arbitrary source resolution at that (which would fix this problem)? I suppose it's good for playing files downloaded to TiVo which have that source res.

Quote:
So my only fix is to set Tivo to 1080i-Only every time I want to use Netflix and then back afterward?

I think I'd rather provide them with feedback that they should use a buffering solution over a resolution changing problem.
Fair enough, but I'm sure that they've heard that opinion. The streaming world is marching inexorably toward Adaptive Bit-rate Streaming as a standard.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
haplo888

Companies only inexorably march in the wrong direction if people are quiet.

This resolution changing stuff is crap.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
jcthorne

And why I avoid streaming services whenever possible. Once in a while I forget....all I have to do is try to watch a YouTube vid on tivo.....I turn it off quick.

If I cannot download the whole thing and then watch in full resolution and without buffer hickups, I don't want it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
And how many channels are you getting that are broadcast at 1080p24? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing "none" . I wonder how useful TiVo expected 1080p24 output to be when they added the capability, without including the capability to output any arbitrary source resolution at that (which would fix this problem)? I suppose it's good for playing files downloaded to TiVo which have that source res.

Fair enough, but I'm sure that they've heard that opinion. The streaming world is marching inexorably toward Adaptive Bit-rate Streaming as a standard.
Most of the Amazon content I watch is in 1080P24 and with Netflix as well. With Netflix once it gets to 1080P24, it stays there so I only have the dropout when it switches from 720P to 1080P24 which is annoying but at least it's only a couple of seconds. Then I can continue watching the show or movie in 1080P24 without any issues.

If the chipset in the TiVo could scale to 1080P24 then this wouldn't be an issue. But the reason I continue using my TiVos for Netflix is because it is one of the few(if not the only one) that has automatic native resolution output from Netflix.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
And why I avoid streaming services whenever possible. Once in a while I forget....all I have to do is try to watch a YouTube vid on tivo.....I turn it off quick.

If I cannot download the whole thing and then watch in full resolution and without buffer hickups, I don't want it.
Well, that's one reason, and I admit a fairly valid one for many people, myself generally included. The main reason I don't subscribe to NetFlix and the like, however, is there is very little on them in which I am interested, except that which already resides on my server. I don't watch YouTube mainly because... well, it's YouTube.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, that's one reason, and I admit a fairly valid one for many people, myself generally included. The main reason I don't subscribe to NetFlix and the like, however, is there is very little on them in which I am interested, except that which already resides on my server. I don't watch YouTube mainly because... well, it's YouTube.
Netflix alone has 30 million streaming subscribers. Many people fiind streaming acceptable. DVD sales are 3x the sales of blu ray. It doesn't seem like true HD is important to most people.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Netflix has alot of streaming HD content. When I watch netflix, it is only content in HD. And it can be very convenient. I still have over ninety titles in my instant queue. I'm still watching the first two seasons of Nikita from Netflix in 1080P24 HD and 5.1 DD+.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
atmuscarella

There is a big difference between what people want, what they are willing/able to pay for, what is actually available, and what they will live with.

I am fairly sure most of us want very high quality picture and sound when we are watching something. Unfortunately that costs money, both for equipment and programing.

I am guessing that for many people they really don't have setups where blu-ray looks or sounds much or any better than lower quality streaming video. I have a very good quality 50 inch TV that I sit about 14 ft away from and good 7.1 home theater setup, I can certainly notice the difference between streaming Hulu (which I believe is 480P) and OTA HD but it is not as great a difference as one might think. Same with blu-ray I can hear the difference more than see it because of combination of the normally reduced screen size when playing a blu-ray disk and how far away I am sitting. Now if I had a high quality 65 inch TV in a room where I could sit say 8 feet away I am sure I would have a different opinion.

Plus I only have slow DSL available so I live with lower quality streaming (1080p does not work or buffers so much I don't want to watch it, 720p works better but may still have issues). It is certainly not what I want or even what I am willing to pay for but it is what I live with.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
shwru980r

For me it also depends on the type of programming. If I'm watching sports or an action movie, I'm going to want HD, but for news, most TV shows and most comedy or drama movies SD is fine. I'm watching on a 50" plasma.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hulu is 720P. At least for their HD stream.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even on a 24" set, whether it's news or any TV show, I want it in HD. Even on a small set the difference is very noticeable.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I will say that TiVo's implementation of Netflix Adaptive Bit-rate Streaming is weaker than that of any of the other 7 devices that I have which feature it (2 Panasonic and 1 Sony BD player, PS3, Xbox, Roku 2 and this PC). It often starts off with unwatchably low rez encodes that I never see on any of the other players and sometimes takes a long time to climb up to the best ones. Could have something to do with the Netflix servers local to me, but again, none of the other devices exhibit that behavior.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I will say that TiVo's implementation of Netflix Adaptive Bit-rate Streaming is weaker than that of any of the other 7 devices that I have which feature it (2 Panasonic and 1 Sony BD player, PS3, Xbox, Roku 2 and this PC). It often starts off with unwatchably low rez encodes that I never see on any of the other players and sometimes takes a long time to climb up to the best ones. Could have something to do with the Netflix servers local to me, but again, none of the other devices exhibit that behavior.
In my area it ramps up quickly to 1080P24. Usually within ten to fifteen seconds.

Although there is no question that by the TiVo not having the capability to scale to 1080P puts it at a disadvantage to the other netflix devices. But what keeps me using my TiVos for Netflix is that it has Native resolution output for 1080P so I put up with the one to two second glitch when watching a title when it switches to 1080P at the beginning.