TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Christof60

TiVo AND Comcast?

I currently have a Series3 HD and Comcast. We are only watching in one room. The unit is faulty, will not show any HD.
But I have a Premier unit (new) coming, and my wife wants a tv in her room set up. We previously had a Comcast HD DVR and 3 "satellite" mini boxes.
Will I have to get a main Comcast receiver for her, or will the TiVo with Comcast cablecards in it allow the small satellite receivers to work?
Thanks for any help.

Christof
Christof60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
eugenegh2

The three 'mini' Comcast boxes are likely DTAs and will work on their own. The DTAs do not connect back to the main box but rather access the digital basic cable channels.
eugenegh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
SNJpage1

As long as she is happy with SD the cable cards will allow her to watch the same things you will receive on the new Tivo. However, in my area besides paying for 3 cable cards, the first one is free, there will also be an additional outlet fee of $9.95. You will get a credit of $2.50 for not having to use one of their boxes. So moving the Tivo into her room would be an additional $10.45 a month on your bill if they do things like they do where I live. By the way we just got a message with our bill that starting jan 1, 2013 they will be charging for the free boxes that they gave out when they went all digital. They will be $2.50 a month if I remember correctly.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
gcsheph

As an aside, I could never get our old Series 3 to bring in HD Netflix successfully -non-HD was ok. Finally it died and was replaced with a Premier. I have had no trouble getting HD Netflix. While this may not be the issue you experienced, this info might be of help to others who have had a similar problem.
gcsheph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Christof60

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenegh2 View Post
The three 'mini' Comcast boxes are likely DTAs and will work on their own. The DTAs do not connect back to the main box but rather access the digital basic cable channels.
Thank you VERY much! Set her TV set up, plugged in the mini box, and just like you stated, she gets all the lower channels. Didn't even need to TiVo to be powered up.
This is opposite the cable guy said when he first set us up. He had said that the little boxes had to get signal from the "main" box.. Thanks again!
Christof60 is offline   Reply With Quote