TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
ejonesss

disable auto disk space predictor

i remember on the cable co boxes i could be able to line up shows to record and the box did not do predictive disk space checking so no conflicts due to disk space.

is there a way to disable tivo's predictive checking of space and let the shows be recorded.

despite plenty of space it seems to think "at this rate you will fill up the box too soon"

i set the settings to record 1 minute before and after with keep until i delete.

the cable co boxes would just record until the disk got full where as tivo seems to check the disk space first

is there a way to make it like cable boxes do?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonesss View Post
i remember on the cable co boxes i could be able to line up shows to record and the box did not do predictive disk space checking so no conflicts due to disk space.

is there a way to disable tivo's predictive checking of space and let the shows be recorded.

despite plenty of space it seems to think "at this rate you will fill up the box too soon"

i set the settings to record 1 minute before and after with keep until i delete.

the cable co boxes would just record until the disk got full where as tivo seems to check the disk space first

is there a way to make it like cable boxes do?
So you would prefer that the Tivo just stop recording and miss shows that you had scheduled? Just stop using KUID and you won't get the space conflict message.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
ejonesss

yes WhiskeyTango that is the idea witch wont happen anyways because i then transfer the shows to my mac via the tivo to go and analog hole for those that are protected and then i delete them immediately after they transfer so it would not get full.

it is like filling a 2 liter bottle with 12 ounces of water and then saying no more room for more water.

and if i dont use the KUID it will delete the shows before i can watch them.

i never had that problem on the cable co box.

or is there a way to disable the pre allocation of space?

that is force the allocation to be dynamic.

pre allocation is where an empty file is created and takes up the space.

that is like putting a metal frame inside a balloon to pre expand the ballon then filling it with water and remove the frame once filled.

i want the balloon to expand as it is filling with water it gives me time to unload and delete shows.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

What model Tivo and what size hard drive? Have you tried permanently deleting the stuff in your "Recently Deleted" folder to see if that helps?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
bshrock

Quote:
yes WhiskeyTango that is the idea witch wont happen anyways because i then transfer the shows to my mac via the tivo to go and analog hole for those that are protected and then i delete them immediately after they transfer so it would not get full.

it is like filling a 2 liter bottle with 12 ounces of water and then saying no more room for more water.

and if i dont use the KUID it will delete the shows before i can watch them.

i never had that problem on the cable co box.

or is there a way to disable the pre allocation of space?

that is force the allocation to be dynamic.

pre allocation is where an empty file is created and takes up the space.

that is like putting a metal frame inside a balloon to pre expand the ballon then filling it with water and remove the frame once filled.

i want the balloon to expand as it is filling with water it gives me time to unload and delete shows.
1 Your cable box did not have KIUD.
2 You say it will never get full... then why use KIUD on everything?
3 Would you rather it not give a warning that some programs will not record unless you delete something.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
What model Tivo and what size hard drive?
I'd be interested to know as well. (That and how much stuff you're recording)

It's been years since the TiVo deleted something of mine before I had a chance to watch it (I think it might have been during the last winter olymipics when I was recording 30+ hours a day of coverage and unexpectedly changed post-work plans one night so I didn't dig through and delete stuff until the next evening. I think I lost one or two year old shows from that. But then I had a 1 TB drive; so it could hold a lot, even of HD shows)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

A lack of space on a Tivo now, doesn't necessarily mean that a program will not be recorded. If recordings are deleted and the space becomes available, the recording will be made.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
ejonesss

@bshrock the cable co box did have kuid it is an option in the recording settings

delete when space is needed or i delete.

the cable co did not pre allocate if you could be able to monitor the disk usage while recording you would see it getting bigger that was the pace dallas and aspen boxes.

tivo seems to pre allocate because lets say you record a 10 hour block using manual recording of on an hd channel you would see 30% used stay constant through the entire 10 hours.

on the cable co boxes you would see 1% now and an hour later you may see 3 or 4% then at the 2 hour mark 8% and so on.

@Jonathan_S on wednsdays i record 10 hour block of both syfy sd and discovery channel hd from 5 pm to 3 am because there are so many shows in that block in various seasons at various times from 8 to 11 pm and the repeats

discovery channel sons of guns, moonshiners to name a couple.

syfy ghosthunters, ghosthunters international and they alternate back and forth in the year.

rather than tracking them all i record a 10 hour block and fast forward to the shows in question and record to mac for editing . and then i delete the shows from the box.

due to blips (signal dropouts, emergency broadcast service tests causes a part of a show to be missed so to make the required patches i record the repeats that come on 3 hours later.

since dumping the rental box and getting tivo i have not seen emergency broadcast service tests yet so i am not sure if it is something only required by cable co boxes or if tivo will show it too.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

To answer the OP's question, No, there is no way to turn off the auto space predictor. This is the nature of the Tivo. To limit the possibility of not recording something, upgrade to a bigger hard drive. Hope that helps.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you tell it to keep 5 or 10 episodes of a show you won't have the problem as often.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #11
ejonesss

@Arcady if i do that wont stop it from recording any more than 5 or 10 episodes overall so i will miss the rest of the season?

or is that only let 5 or 10 episodes pile up before being deleted (think of it like the float valve in the toilet without it the tank would flood and water goes on the floor if it was not for the over fill tube)?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you tell it to keep 10 episodes, it will keep 10 episodes and stop recording new ones until you delete one. As soon as you have 9 or less, it will record more until it has 10 again. Unless you are really waiting around 11 weeks without watching any and deleting them, you will never miss a new one. I have most shows set to keep 10 episodes, and only made the mistake of not deleting old ones one time in the last three years. I decided that if I hadn't gotten around to watching that show in 11 weeks, then I probably didn't really like that show anymore anyway. I removed that season pass.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

'Keep At Most' behaves differently depending how you have 'Keep Until...' set.

If you have 'Keep At Most' set to 10 with a setting of 'Keep Until I Delete', then the Tivo will stop recording future episodes when it reaches the 10 episode limit. You'll have to manually delete older episodes in order for the new ones to record.

If you KAM 10 with a setting of 'Keep Until Space Needed', the Tivo will keep recording new episodes, but once you reach the 10 episode recording limit, the oldest episode automatically deletes to make room for the newest episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 11-17-2012 at 07:28 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Oh yeah, I forgot about that difference. I think the one show we had where it stopped recording was set to KUID. In any case, 5 episodes is almost always enough for me, and 10 is a good amount on a large drive.
Two TiVo Minis