TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #121
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
My 2 Series 1 Sony SAT T60's are also showing Account Closed while reacquiring satellite after a reboot, but changes to account on good standing on acquisition

Tobyjug
This is normal and how it has always been at bootup. It has no relation to the current reboot troubles.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #122
wooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen5 View Post

1) The CSR could not have been more ambivalent. No apologies, no sympathy, no offers of service credits, etc. No "smile" in her voice (feigned or otherwise).

2) Something... some comment in the issue log, or some "script" guidance... prompted her to ask me if I had considered upgrading to the "new HD TiVo". There was no "natural" or "curious" or "helpful impulse" about her tone: she was clearly following a prescribed dialog... as if this were the target remedy.

(I replied that I was "aware" of its availability but that NONE of my equipment is HD-capable... old dish, old CRT TV, etc... and that I couldn't really afford to upgrade everything right now.)

Coupled with the new message that just showed up on my receiver today ("TiVo is Back!"), this certainly feels like a squeeze play.
It was a battle to get a service credit last night. First they wanted to give me a one day credit. I told her it needed to be for the week. After a long "investigation" she finally acquiesced. Turned out it was only for the DVR service to that one DVR. A whole $1.16 for my trouble. That got changed to the entire service for the week, after I made it very clear that wasn't going to work for me.
wooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #123
pat4jay

Note TIVO Rebooting update

Just got off the phone with DIRECTV tech support. The engineers are aware of the problem (they have gotten so many inquiries) and they are actively working it. When they solve it they will download the fix at the time they download the daily upgrades.
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #124
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There are no "daily upgrades". But something will be done.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #125
Booman70

I just got off the phone with dtv csr wanted me to "go through troubleshooting before they could order me new dvrs" I told him dont bother just wanted to log the problem and start it going up the chain further. Seems there first reaction to this is to try to get you to go to newer units and new contract which I made clear I wasnt interested in doing.
Booman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #126
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
My DirecTV contacts told me they're working with Tivo and hope to have more information within a few days. Stay tuned.
Thanks litzdog911.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #127
pat4jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
There are no "daily upgrades". But something will be done.
There are times for service data upgrades. I don't want to get into a pissing contest over terminology. I was trying to convey they were aware and working on it and it would be downloaded then!
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #128
jbear

s2 series rebooting

I have 4 units that rebooted all at the same time. I then called a friend and they had 2 units do the same. Tivo or direct, who is the issue? By the way all units are 6.4a, 1 direct series 2 and 5 hughes.
jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #129
Lucymort

I still have not heard back from them on my "escalated" complaint. We are just going to have to wait for them to come up with some kind of software upgrade to fix this, and in the meantime, fight with them to get credit for days and days of lousy service. Why would anyone want to trust them with an upgrade of their DVR, if they can't handle this issue on a timely basis? I am sure at this point they are well aware of the problem. They don't seem to understand that they should be taking a conciliatory stance with us because of poor service, rather than treating this as an opportunity to try to get us to upgrade. It's tone deaf, and very irritating.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #130
satpro

I refuse to upgrade and enter into a new contract with any of these companies like directv because they could end up having a programming dispute with the channels I need or as this example shows they could have a system wide breakdown that lingers on and on for no cause.

I refuse to ever upgrade because of their stupid 2 yr commitment requirement and their refusal to sell the equipment outright without contract. Of course now after this episode they have proven that even when you own and maintain your own equipment they can just break it at their will due to system changes they made on their end.

So hows that old saying go, all good things must come to an end, at the end of this month the good thing for Directv will come to an end, you will lose a good loyal 14 year paying customer.

They have work records and could immediatly rollback what ever system changes they made exactly on 11/7 to cause this, instead they chose not to.

After 9 days I am pissed and we all should be.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #131
imaref

Three more reboots today and it's only 1:30PM. It's getting old fast...
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #132
lisa00865

The reboots are definitely increasing in frequency. Mine tend to reboot around 3 am, 6 am and also during primetime, usually near the end of the episode when the mystery is about to be solved. Mine rebooted twice this morning as I was getting ready for work.

I live in a town that was hard hit by Hurricane Sandy. Ironically, DirecTV never went out for a second. My neighbors had to watch tv at my home to find out how bad the damage was because Comcast was out for so long. Go figure.

Hope it doesn't take them too long to come up with a fix.
lisa00865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #133
imaref

I used the phone number listed on this thread to speak with a customer advocate from Directv. She was very nice and assured me that the engineers are well aware of the problem. She said that what is taking so long is that they haven't yet discovered if it's a problem at Directv's end or Tivo's end so until they have the problem isolated, it will probably be a few more days until a fix is sent out to the units. I described to her the problem from a few years back and she was aware of that also.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #134
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
I refuse to ever upgrade because of their stupid 2 yr commitment requirement
I agree.

Quote:
Of course now after this episode they have proven that even when you own and maintain your own equipment they can just break it at their will due to system changes they made on their end.
DirecTV has been better than TiVo in this regard.

The S1's had a Daylight Savings Time issue and DirecTV updated the software. TiVo has NEVER fixed the software on the standalone S1 units, though they did implement a kludge posted here a few months later.

They also had a problem a couple of years back with guide data and the S2 DTiVo, and fixed that. It didn't happen over night though, and we already know this won't be fixed over night.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon, but maybe not.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #135
satpro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
I used the phone number listed on this thread to speak with a customer advocate from Directv. She said that what is taking so long is that they haven't yet discovered if it's a problem at Directv's end or Tivo's end so until they have the problem isolated

And how exactly do they expect to blame this on Tivo when nothing has changed about the Tivo software since 6.4a, Directv is the one that makes changes to APG, encryption, audio & video encoding, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #136
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It could be a latent bug in the TiVo software that became apparent only when the APG data changed. As a commercial software developer, I have seen many instances of this over the years in the products I work with.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #137
satpro

Or directv is not conforming to the standards of what the tivo software can handle, so one side can say the other is to blame, but it's still very clear who suddenly triggered the problem and that is directv.

And as I type this, 5:45 pm reboot while watching local station.

Last edited by satpro : 11-16-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #138
ronsch

My reboots today so far:

3:25, 5:50, 8:05, and 15:50. All times Eastern.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #139
Ilovetorecord2

My HDVR2 has rebooted 3 times in the last 30 minutes. I finally called Directv and the same old song if I wanted to upgrade which I don't. I would go for the R10 I think it is as I can upgrade that hard drive.

I have a TR22 which I do not really care for.

See if they can get this problems fixed elsewise I might head to dish.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #140
imaref

Four reboots so far today. Seems like it's getting worse...
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #141
Lucymort

Finally heard back about my escalated complaint. It was essentially the same thing I was told before (they are aware of the problem and their engineers are working on it), and a lot of self-congratulatory malarkey about the greatness and reliability of Directv and its technology, which they ought to NOT send out to people who are experiencing multiple interruptions of service on a daily basis. I have decided that I have other things I would rather spend my time on than to try to deal with their customer service, and if they don't get this issue addressed soon, I will simply explore other options. I am sure they won't miss my business.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #142
ronsch

In the midst of my latest reboot, 20:47 ET.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #143
nuthkavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
Mine only seems to reboot at night. Then, it can't ever acquire the information from the satellite on the first try. Really, really annoying.
Mine reboots at all hours. When I'm watching at the time of the reboot, I notice the same problem with it unable to acquire satellite information.
nuthkavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #144
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetorecord2 View Post
My HDVR2 has rebooted 3 times in the last 30 minutes. I finally called Directv and the same old song if I wanted to upgrade which I don't. I would go for the R10 I think it is as I can upgrade that hard drive.

I have a TR22 which I do not really care for.

See if they can get this problems fixed elsewise I might head to dish.
Please don't upgrade, this is what they want, get your bucks for a problem that is theirs and theirs along.

Again, DTV Customer Advocate Team:

1-866-785-5536

or email them at:
CustAdvocFollowUp@directv.com

Call 'em...they are on Mountain Time so it is now 5:02pm there now, 4:02pm PST, and so on...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #145
basscatt

"resetting"

I have 2 series 2 Tivo units - like the rest of you - I have been experiencing the resetting problem.

Both of my units reset at the exact same time - so I knew the problem was not with my equipment.

I just called DTV and talked with "Fred" - he said they are aware of the problem - but had no other information about the resetting problem.

Fred apologized for the inconvenience and asked if I would like 3 FREE months of either Starz or Showtime - I told Fred I would rather have $10 off the bill - Fred then said - "how about both - $10 off per month FOR A FULL 12 MONTHS - PLUS 3 months of Starz for FREE - starting tonight.

I thanked Fred - now I just hope they figure out the problem soon -

In the mean time - I unplugged the phone line to my downstairs unit - that way I will be able to tell if the "reset" signal comes from the phone or through the satellite dish -

After reading quite a few of the posts - and I must comment -
a lot of you people sound like a bunch of IDIOTS -

am I happy about the problem? - of course not -
but threatening to go to Dish or cable - really?

bottom line - call DTV - be nice - they might take care of you like they took care of me.

Last edited by basscatt : 11-16-2012 at 09:25 PM.
basscatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #146
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscatt View Post

Fred apologized for the inconvenience and asked if I would like 3 FREE months of either Starz or Showtime - I told Fred I would rather have $10 off the bill - Fred then said - "how about both - $10 off per month FOR A FULL 12 MONTHS - PLUS 3 months of Starz for FREE - starting tonight.

I thanked Fred - now I just hope they figure out the problem soon -

In the mean time - I unplugged the phone line to my downstairs unit - that way I will be able to tell if the "reset" signal comes from the phone or through the satellite dish.

bottom line - call DTV - be nice - they might take care of you like they took care of me.
You got a fair deal but not enough. I asked for a month's credit and Protection Plan for a year, for free. Got $8 off DVR for 6 months and the Protection Plan. I plan to ask for more since I have a direct contact at corporate now and she is willing for me to have more (perks) if problem is not fixed soon. But the $10 is OK.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #147
Lucymort

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscatt View Post

After reading quite a few of the posts - and I must comment -
a lot of you people sound like a bunch of IDIOTS -

am I happy about the problem? - of course not -
but threatening to go to Dish or cable - really?

We are not idiots, and there is no need to call others names if you don't agree with their position. DTV has offered me nothing in terms of telling me when this problem is going to be rectified, which is what I am interested in. I don't care about credits or three free months of Starz. I want to be able to use my DVR without having it reset all the time. If they cannot fix this issue on a timely basis, of course I am going to seek out other services. Really.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #148
runningduck

Today the reboots have gotten really bad; five times that I am aware of. I called support and was offered new Direct TV units. I had to push a bit for them to escalate. If you are having this problem you owe it to the community to register your issue so that it gets the proper attention.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #149
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
We are not idiots, and there is no need to call others names if you don't agree with their position. DTV has offered me nothing in terms of telling me when this problem is going to be rectified, which is what I am interested in. I don't care about credits or three free months of Starz. I want to be able to use my DVR without having it reset all the time. If they cannot fix this issue on a timely basis, of course I am going to seek out other services. Really.
Yes, this is the bottom line and I couldn't agree with your more, a fix is worth much more than a small discount on a new DVR or credits. I've had more reboots today than ever before (about 6 as far as I can tell; yesterday two within 12-minutes of each other). Just wait, folks, when our college (football and basketball), NFL games and other sports are are interrupted, let alone special shows we want to watch all the time this weekend.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #150
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningduck View Post
Today the reboots have gotten really bad; five times that I am aware of. I called support and was offered new Direct TV units. I had to push a bit for them to escalate. If you are having this problem you owe it to the community to register your issue so that it gets the proper attention.
Escalate at the TOP not the bottom:

Again, DTV Customer Advocate Team:

1-866-785-5536

or email them at:
CustAdvocFollowUp@directv.com

Call 'em M-F...they are on Mountain Time so it is now 5:02pm there now, 4:02pm PST, and so on...