TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #61
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

If Monroe ever throws a party, we might hear some live music then. Maybe even some acoustic Zeppelin covers. But most people in that world don't have the instruments, the skill, or the wherewithal to hire musicians.

I'm told that the era of recorded music has made being a musician much more of a specialty than it used to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
But most people in that world don't have the instruments, the skill, or the wherewithal to hire musicians.
The wherewithal to hire musicians, I'll agree with. My point about kids picking out the Mario music is that, at least in the US, music lessons for kids are a common enough occurrence that instruments and a basic proficiency are fairly plentiful. GREAT music? Much more rare. Can listen and dance to it music? Common.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #63
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
I swear it looked like Grace and Randall were in a brewery. Is she a captive a la Juliette or is she working with Randall? I thought the former before, but this episode makes it look like the latter. Also, what the heck was Juliette working on? From what we've seen, it really looked like her greatest involvement with the Non-Broadcast Energy Wave Transmission (NEWT) project was to sleep with the lead inventor. They haven't establishlished that she had any significant tech knowledge and she wasn't included in the demonstration like everyone else with intimate knowledge of it was.
I thought the previous episode strongly implied that Rachel was the brains behind the operation but that she didn't want her invention used as a weapon. Her husband and the others went behind her back to show it to the DoD because they were going to go bankrupt otherwise. And Rachel never would have agreed to sell her tech to the DoD except for the fact that she was going to lose her baby and Randall offered her a way for the baby to be saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
It was quite a few episodes back... I dunno if it would still be there. She was in Seattle during the blackout, traveled to the East Coast trying to find a way to get back to England, no one would take her, and was about to off herself by a lake when Ben found her.
In that episode, she said that after she got to Buffalo and was told all the ships had been burned for firewood, she walked all up and down the east coast and never found a way to cross the ocean. So she certainly didn't give up on getting back to her kids without exhausting every possibility she knew of.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #64
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I thought the previous episode strongly implied that Rachel was the brains behind the operation but that she didn't want her invention used as a weapon. Her husband and the others went behind her back to show it to the DoD because they were going to go bankrupt otherwise. And Rachel never would have agreed to sell her tech to the DoD except for the fact that she was going to lose her baby and Randall offered her a way for the baby to be saved.
Okay....that makes sense as to why she wasn't involved in the demonstration. I guess her shock that the DoD would use it as a weapon was so comically naive that it never occured to me that it was HER invention. Spouse and I were too busy making jokes about how she should just fill Randall's house with popcorn and point the NEWT Project at it to really pay attention to the finer points of this exchange.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem

TiVolution!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #65
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
In that episode, she said that after she got to Buffalo and was told all the ships had been burned for firewood, she walked all up and down the east coast and never found a way to cross the ocean. So she certainly didn't give up on getting back to her kids without exhausting every possibility she knew of.
That description makes me want to poke my eye out with a fork rather than watch. I'm sure it's accurate, but REALLY? Again----there's wood EVERYWHERE on set in that show. Buffalo is a decently forested region (MUCH more so than it was in, say, American Revolution times as much of what was farmland then has reverted back to forest as our ability to transport food allowed serious agriculture to move west).

TiVolution!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #66
pmyers

Quote:
That description makes me want to poke my eye out with a fork rather than watch. I'm sure it's accurate, but REALLY? Again----there's wood EVERYWHERE on set in that show. Buffalo is a decently forested region (MUCH more so than it was in, say, American Revolution times as much of what was farmland then has reverted back to forest as our ability to transport food allowed serious agriculture to move west).
IIRC, the conversation actually said it was used as firewood OR the boats were destroyed. I always focused on the destroyed part more than the firewood as I would think that would be a lot more likely.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #67
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I hate to interfere with the Weekly Picking of Nits, but I have a favor to ask if anyone still has any screencaps of the ep. We just got my daughter a new bedspread in her room, and it was the exact same one used in the bedroom of Young Nora (or maybe her younger sister) during this ep, visible in the daylight scene. I had mentioned it to my wife in passing, and she wanted to see what wall decorations had been used, because we haven't started (re) decorating my daughter's room yet. Sooooo, if any one could post a screen cap of that scene, I'd be grateful. (And yes, I looked online, and didn't see anything yet).
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #68
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I hate to interfere with the Weekly Picking of Nits, but I have a favor to ask if anyone still has any screencaps of the ep.
Cellphone pic of CRT TV, so absolutely top-notch quality (and yeah, this was the frame that showed the MOST of the room):

ETA: Permission issues fixed. I HATE the recent changes to OS X.

TiVolution!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #69
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I hate to interfere with the Weekly Picking of Nits, but I have a favor to ask if anyone still has any screencaps of the ep. We just got my daughter a new bedspread in her room, and it was the exact same one used in the bedroom of Young Nora (or maybe her younger sister) during this ep, visible in the daylight scene. I had mentioned it to my wife in passing, and she wanted to see what wall decorations had been used, because we haven't started (re) decorating my daughter's room yet. Sooooo, if any one could post a screen cap of that scene, I'd be grateful. (And yes, I looked online, and didn't see anything yet).
I can pause the episode and take a picture of the TV when I get home tonight, but I'm sure someone else would have a way to get a better quality image sooner than that. If nobody has helped you out by this evening, I'll definitely jump on it.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #70
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Cellphone pic of CRT TV, so absolutely top-notch quality (and yeah, this was the frame that showed the MOST of the room):

ETA: Permission issues fixed. I HATE the recent changes to OS X.
Thanks! That's definitely the scene in question, but if anyone else can get a little more high-res screen shot, that'd be fantastic.

(BTW - that's the only type of screen cap that I know how to do)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #71
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Where can we start up a fund to get Polcamilla a better TV?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #72
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

My picture wouldn't be any better, since I also only have a CRT and an SD TiVo.

The best way I know of to do a good screen cap is to download a torrent of the episode and then play it in full screen and use the print screen command. If it comes to that, I'll be happy to download the torrent of the episode, but let's wait and see if anyone else can produce a better picture first.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #73
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Isn't the episode on NBC's website in HD? Most shows are.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #74
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Um.....how many trees have they walked past on the show? How many wooden benches have they sat on and abandoned wood-sided houses have they wandered through? If the Midwest isn't completely deforested yet, it seems a little hasty to start bonfires of stringed instruments.
Wasn't the main reason why there aren't any wooden boats left that they were taken apart and burned? When you need fuel for the fire and you don't have any way of cutting down a tree, you burn what's at hand.

Quote:
Dude----haven't you ever watched The Wizard of Oz?? They're called hot AIR balloons because you fill the balloon with air that has been heated, not with helium.
I was under the impression that you couldn't keep the air in a hot air balloon hot enough to be able to cross the Atlantic...until somebody pointed out that Steve Fossett's balloons were all hot air ones.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #75
john4200

Last edited by john4200 : 11-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #76
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

There we go. Awesome, thanks. TCF always comes through.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #77
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I was under the impression that you couldn't keep the air in a hot air balloon hot enough to be able to cross the Atlantic...until somebody pointed out that Steve Fossett's balloons were all hot air ones.
I remember there being LOTS of propane tanks on the gondola of that balloon.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #78
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The issue there is that the balloon must be big enough to carry a large enough payload to carry the propane needed to heat the balloon the entire way across. And the larger the balloon, the more propane needed. In the post-electricity apocalypse, I'm not sure it would make sense to devote that amount of resources toward getting one or two people across the Atlantic.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #79
pmyers

Quote:
My picture wouldn't be any better, since I also only have a CRT and an SD TiVo...
WHAT? I never would have guessed that in a million years. I'm going to read your posts differently now
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #80
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
WHAT? I never would have guessed that in a million years. I'm going to read your posts differently now
Believe me, I'd love nothing more than to get an HDTV, but my financial situation over the last couple years has not allowed it. I'm hoping that will change soon, but we'll see.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #81
pmyers

Quote:
Believe me, I'd love nothing more than to get an HDTV, but my financial situation over the last couple years has not allowed it. I'm hoping that will change soon, but we'll see.
No wonder your posts are always blurry to me!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #82
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wasn't the main reason why there aren't any wooden boats left that they were taken apart and burned? When you need fuel for the fire and you don't have any way of cutting down a tree, you burn what's at hand.
Couldn't they use all those swords they have to hack down trees?

TiVolution!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #83
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks! That's definitely the scene in question, but if anyone else can get a little more high-res screen shot, that'd be fantastic.

(BTW - that's the only type of screen cap that I know how to do)

http://www.landofnod.com/all-wall-ar...all-art/f10772

http://www.landofnod.com/all-wall-ar...all-art/f10748

Nora's mommy liked to shop at Land of Nod.

(I couldn't find the third peacock pic on their site. Either it's no longer available or it's actually from somewhere else.)

TiVolution!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #84
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Wow, that's amazing. How did you know where to look for those?

(Little too pricey for wall art for my daughter's room, but still a good find!)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #85
pmyers

"the Google skills are strong, with this one...."
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #86
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wow, that's amazing. How did you know where to look for those?

(Little too pricey for wall art for my daughter's room, but still a good find!)
They just had a Land of Nod look about them....

I actually tried to check when I posted the pic earlier, but my browser froze and then I had to help some friends with other stuff and only just got around to checking my hunch.

TiVolution!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #87
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

As far as decor goes, looks like all they did was paint the walls and put two ugly pictures on them!

One reason to cross the Altantic would be to find out if the rest of the world has lost power too. I guess you can deduce that if you never hear from them, but still!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #88
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
As far as decor goes, looks like all they did was paint the walls and put two ugly pictures on them!

One reason to cross the Altantic would be to find out if the rest of the world has lost power too. I guess you can deduce that if you never hear from them, but still!
How would you hear from them? You have no electronic devices that could receive a transmission and were they to come by boat or plane they would lose power when they approached and would die offshore. (Since we know that new sources of electricity continue to fail from earlier in the season, it's reasonable to assume that any working electricity entering the null-electric zone would simply stop).

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #89
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
How would you hear from them? You have no electronic devices that could receive a transmission and were they to come by boat or plane they would lose power when they approached and would die offshore. (Since we know that new sources of electricity continue to fail from earlier in the season, it's reasonable to assume that any working electricity entering the null-electric zone would simply stop).
this is why I started my sentence with "One reason to cross the Atlantic..."
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #90
kettledrum

Quote:
Quote:
Couldn't they use all those swords they have to hack down trees?
Since there seems to be an abundance of swords on this show one would think that the world would also be full of axes for chopping down trees.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote