TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #8611
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
Yep the auth works great now, but let's see how you feel once they get added to the bill...
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #8612
cheneyp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 5
I got an XL4 last week and ordered an M-Card from Comcast the same day. Picked it up the next day and that night called and did the activation thing with Comcast. Pretty simple, except...it didn't work. Apparently the Comcast reps simply send out a script to authorize the card through the head end but if they don't get the head end right it won't activate. Finally needed a truck roll yesterday with the tech speaking directly to the head end folks to straighten it out. Hoping they correct this going forward as I was liking the self-install option.
cheneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #8613
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL USA
Posts: 143
I, also, got a new XL4 last week. Took the M-card out of my previous Tivo. Called the 800-number and got it paired in 5 minutes. Everything is working.

I have had Tivos since 1999. This is BY FAR the easiest unit to set up especially with copying the season passes from the previous unit. This was always a major hurdle to the purchase decision in the past as well as dealing with Comcast. Now, all of that is ancient history.
Gene Plantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #8614
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 49,077
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep the auth works great now, but let's see how you feel once they get added to the bill...
Other than a one-time $1.99 service change fee, no change in services billed:


Attached Images
File Type: jpg comcast_20121108p.jpg (64.6 KB, 238 views)
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #8615
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL USA
Posts: 143
CableCard fee: I had two Tivos and 4 CableCards. Comcast changed the fees from next-to-nothing to $8.95/EACH/MONTH. Now I have one Tivo and one CableCard. Have not seen a new bill yet but hope it is a lot smaller now that the CableCards were returned.
Gene Plantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #8616
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Other than a one-time $1.99 service change fee, no change in services billed:

This is ridiculous and is exactly why the FCC should get involved. There's no excuse for charging nothing for 6 cards to one customer and charging full outlet fees for extra cards for others. The intent of the new rules last year was that a standard rental fee be charged per card, and every other cable system except Comcast does exactly that.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #8617
chiguy50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This is ridiculous and is exactly why the FCC should get involved. There's no excuse for charging nothing for 6 cards to one customer and charging full outlet fees for extra cards for others. The intent of the new rules last year was that a standard rental fee be charged per card, and every other cable system except Comcast does exactly that.
I agree with you, but in his case I can understand why he might be excused from the exorbitant CC (viz. "Digital Service") fees we got socked with. Just look at how much Comcast is getting from this one customer per month: $175(!), which is on a promotion that ends next month and will then presumably jump up to something over $200. That's a lot of cabbage!

I'm still outraged at having to swallow a $10 charge for my second CC, but then I'm on a bulk services contract through my HOA and my total personal bill (for Digital Starter TV + 2 M-cards) jumped from a monthly credit of $3+ to a charge of $6+. My dissatisfaction is tempered by the realization that, in the final analysis, I'm only paying an average of under $4 p.m. (including taxes and fees) for each CC after the "Customer-Owned Equipment" credit.

Also, after many complaints and long telephone conversations and e-mails, Comcast did grant me some compensation in the form of comp'ing my "Digital Service" fee for one year and giving me free HBO, SHO, and STARZ for six months, so that for now I have a net monthly credit of $5+ accruing in addition to the premium channels. That was a nice gesture, but it also shows me that they are fully aware of the unfairness of their CC fee structure.

Last edited by chiguy50 : 11-16-2012 at 11:48 AM.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #8618
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 11,820
Not to mention discounting for every TiVo when they haven't added any additional outlet fees. If Doug keeps going maybe he can get it down to free.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #8619
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 49,077
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
Just look at how much Comcast is getting from this one customer per month: $175(!), which is on a promotion that ends next month and will then presumably jump up to something over $200. That's a lot of cabbage!
I should be getting a letter from them this month regarding contacting them about the expiring promotion, where they'll move me to whatever the current 1-year promotion price is... possibly unchanged, possibly a few dollars more. But that's generally been the way it works.

Comcast has really turned around customer service in the last few years; finally getting CableCARD authorizations/self-service installs functional and usable, being very proactive about service -- even offering one or two-hour windows for service calls. Last month I got a letter about my voice/internet modem being limiting to the potential speeds I subscribe to and a couple days ago received a replacement that I installed (again, using all self-service directions for activating), and everything went very smoothly. And it was thorough, even including a test call to ensure the phone worked. All without my even asking for it (except of course just responding to the letter that a self-service kit was fine vs. someone coming out).

Now I'm getting 50mbps+ downloads and 10Mbps uploads (supposedly uploads could be up to 15mpbs but haven't tested that high yet).
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #8620
HazelW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: No. Va
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I should be getting a letter from them this month regarding contacting them about the expiring promotion, where they'll move me to whatever the current 1-year promotion price is... possibly unchanged, possibly a few dollars more. But that's generally been the way it works.

Comcast has really turned around customer service in the last few years; finally getting CableCARD authorizations/self-service installs functional and usable, being very proactive about service -- even offering one or two-hour windows for service calls. Last month I got a letter about my voice/internet modem being limiting to the potential speeds I subscribe to and a couple days ago received a replacement that I installed (again, using all self-service directions for activating), and everything went very smoothly. And it was thorough, even including a test call to ensure the phone worked. All without my even asking for it (except of course just responding to the letter that a self-service kit was fine vs. someone coming out).

Now I'm getting 50mbps+ downloads and 10Mbps uploads (supposedly uploads could be up to 15mpbs but haven't tested that high yet).
Same here with the new modem. I too am happy with their service. But my promotion just expired and my bill jumped up $30 a month. No call or letter. After 3 phone calls I got to a very nice person in the "loyalty department." Went through a bunch of options but ended up getting another year for the promotion for $5 more a month. I'm happy, but I wish there was a way to get just the services I want and not just a big bundle with a bunch of stuff I don't care about.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #8621
chiguy50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

Comcast has really turned around customer service in the last few years; finally getting CableCARD authorizations/self-service installs functional and usable, being very proactive about service -- even offering one or two-hour windows for service calls.
I concur that they have made a significant improvement in customer service, and I attribute it principally to the competition from AT&T's U-Verse. The corporate culture went from taking customers for granted to an emphasis on customer satisfaction. But their billing department is still a holy mess, even allowing for the typical greedy exploitation we expect from U.S. corporations these days.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #8622
icunmypc
Registered User
 
icunmypc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This is ridiculous and is exactly why the FCC should get involved. There's no excuse for charging nothing for 6 cards to one customer and charging full outlet fees for extra cards for others. The intent of the new rules last year was that a standard rental fee be charged per card, and every other cable system except Comcast does exactly that.
I am located in Washington State and switched from Click! to Comcast due to a Puyallup Fair promotion. I was quoted 109.99 a month for a year with a $7 monthly modem fee. I informed the salesman I currently had 6 cable cards and had him include that on the contract we both signed. A couple days later they showed up for the install and it took the better part of 4 hours to connect 4 tivo boxes and the comcast provided HD box and the high speed internet. At install I realized that I really only had 5 cable cards, 1 multicard for Premiere and 2 each for the Series 3 and the HD boxes. Later in the month the bill arrived and they had additional charges for $1.10 x 5 for the cable cards. I called and complained, but was told I would have to contact the salesman. I chose to eat the $5.50 a month seeing how Click used to charge me $1.50 per card. I paid my first bill and all was good until yesterday when I bought another Premiere box and went to Comcast to pick up the 6th cable card that I was promised. I was told by the counter person that my bill was incorrect and they should be charging me $8.75 per cable card for each Tivo and then $1.10 for the 2 tivos that required extra cards. After a bit of discussing this BS, I told him I would just disconnect Comcast and go back to Click! He informed me my 30 trial period was passed and I was committed to a 2 year plan I signed up for (year 2 @ $129.99 a month), but I could turn in the cable cards and enjoy my HD service in the one room that they set up their HD box. I am currently working with a manager whom had me bring in the original contract I signed at the fair in to him. (a gave him a copy of my original) I am waiting for him to figure out what they will do for me. I received all HBO/and movie channels plus 25 meg internet speed and the phone service with my deal, but the extra for the cable cards makes it more than my old service. PS They did tell me I would qualify for a $2 discount per Tivo since I wasn't using their HD boxes in the other rooms. BS
icunmypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #8623
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by icunmypc View Post
At install I realized that I really only had 5 cable cards, 1 multicard for Premiere and 2 each for the Series 3 and the HD boxes. Later in the month the bill arrived and they had additional charges for $1.10 x 5 for the cable cards. I called and complained, but was told I would have to contact the salesman. I chose to eat the $5.50 a month seeing how Click used to charge me $1.50 per card. I paid my first bill and all was good until yesterday when I bought another Premiere box and went to Comcast to pick up the 6th cable card that I was promised. I was told by the counter person that my bill was incorrect and they should be charging me $8.75 per cable card for each Tivo and then $1.10 for the 2 tivos that required extra cards. After a bit of discussing this BS, I told him I would just disconnect Comcast and go back to Click! He informed me my 30 trial period was passed and I was committed to a 2 year plan I signed up for (year 2 @ $129.99 a month), but I could turn in the cable cards and enjoy my HD service in the one room that they set up their HD box. I am currently working with a manager whom had me bring in the original contract I signed at the fair in to him. (a gave him a copy of my original) I am waiting for him to figure out what they will do for me. I received all HBO/and movie channels plus 25 meg internet speed and the phone service with my deal, but the extra for the cable cards makes it more than my old service. PS They did tell me I would qualify for a $2 discount per Tivo since I wasn't using their HD boxes in the other rooms. BS
Are both of your non-Premiere TiVos model TCD648250? That's the only model that requires 2 cable cards.

The other charges are for "Additional digital outlets" which vary from operating unit to operating unit, even within Comcast. Unless you really want their box for some reason, turn it in and one of your TiVos will count as your "included box" thus one less ADO charge plus you should still get the "Customer owned equipment credit" for that box.

I wish you good luck trying to get Comcast to live up to what you believe they agreed to. Obviously, there was no "meeting of the minds" with your initial contract which is supposed to be required for a contract to be valid but getting that through the courts past Comcast's army of lawyers would probably require years and a lot of money.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #8624
L David Matheny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by icunmypc View Post
At install I realized that I really only had 5 cable cards, 1 multicard for Premiere and 2 each for the Series 3 and the HD boxes. Later in the month the bill arrived and they had additional charges for $1.10 x 5 for the cable cards. I called and complained, but was told I would have to contact the salesman. I chose to eat the $5.50 a month seeing how Click used to charge me $1.50 per card. I paid my first bill and all was good until yesterday when I bought another Premiere box and went to Comcast to pick up the 6th cable card that I was promised. I was told by the counter person that my bill was incorrect and they should be charging me $8.75 per cable card for each Tivo and then $1.10 for the 2 tivos that required extra cards. After a bit of discussing this BS, I told him I would just disconnect Comcast and go back to Click! He informed me my 30 trial period was passed and I was committed to a 2 year plan I signed up for (year 2 @ $129.99 a month), but I could turn in the cable cards and enjoy my HD service in the one room that they set up their HD box. I am currently working with a manager whom had me bring in the original contract I signed at the fair in to him. (a gave him a copy of my original) I am waiting for him to figure out what they will do for me.
It's surely deceptive and unfair for them to bill you at an agreeable (and agreed-upon) rate long enough to get past the 30-day buyer-remorse period, then raise the rate and claim that it's too late for you to cancel. Try to work that angle. Once again I thank God that I don’t have to deal with a cable company.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #8625
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle Corey View Post
The 877-405-2298 number is definitely still available, ...
just reconfirming (as everyone should know by now) that the folks at this number are still the only ones with a clue.

Somehow one of the 4 cards in one of my 3 tivo's crapped out and was giving me errors that certain channels were not authorized.

called the regular number. After insisting i had to buy some new tier to get channels i've gottten for years the clueless person couldn't do anything but "send signals". When that didn't work insisted on a truck roll. She wouldn't escalate and insisted there was no group that knew everything about cablecards.

Came back here- found the number. Called there and a nice woman (in romania or someplace in eastern europe...)- proceeded to unpair and repair the card. She asked for a single reboot inbetween there- even directing me to the proper tivo menu screen to do it. (probably unpair/repair is in their script- so understandable). When that didn't work she asked for some channel numbers that didn't work and then looked up the proper tier codes for them and found they were missing. Then she took a couple minutes on hold to re add the codes to the card and presto chango all was well.

Why they can't just give the 800-comcast nuber people the ability to transfer you over if beyond me. At a minimum they should give you the 877 number so you dont have to boot a computer to search tivocommunity.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #8626
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This is ridiculous and is exactly why the FCC should get involved. There's no excuse for charging nothing for 6 cards to one customer and charging full outlet fees for extra cards for others. The intent of the new rules last year was that a standard rental fee be charged per card, and every other cable system except Comcast does exactly that.
please don't complain too loud- all that will do is have them charge us all too much. (only half in jest- but wont be a big deal once the mini comes along and i can ditch my old S3)

For some reason- it seems much of NJ gets PAID to have cablecards. We seem to get cablecards for $0 and then $2.50 credits.

(I'm going to assume NJ gets a good deal because FIOS has a statewide franchise here).
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #8627
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
Some of us have already filed complaints, and they've gone nowhere. All I got was a phone call from exec relations and a letter to the FCC and myself claiming it's perfectly legit to charge outlet fees for cards and that they're going to get this fixed across areas, billing-wise.

We all know that this is a lie, but the FCC doesn't care.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #8628
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Some of us have already filed complaints, and they've gone nowhere. All I got was a phone call from exec relations and a letter to the FCC and myself claiming it's perfectly legit to charge outlet fees for cards and that they're going to get this fixed across areas, billing-wise.

We all know that this is a lie, but the FCC doesn't care.
I dont think it's necessarily a lie at all.

it IS perfectly legal to charge additional outlet fees- the government made it so. And comcast doesn't necessarily shy away from screwing their rental box customers with them too- they even started nailing people with DTA's for those (albeit at a discount).

and I'm sure the "fix" to their billing will eventually be to nail everyone with those fees. They already apparently started auditing people's accounts to make sure everyone gets screwed- myself they took away some 'owned equipment credits' that they had been giving me by mistake. I loathe the day they start nailing me the additional outlet fees- I do hope the presence of FIOS in my market at least slows them down.

Hopefully Tivo can get their whole home solution in place well before that and figure out some way to help out folks who already invested in multiple premiers move to the whole home (aka an upgrade discount).

Myself- I feel like our congress critters let us down and allows pay tv (like everything else) to fall to the lowest common denominator. JMHO- everyone has one i suppose.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #8629
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,624
The lie is that they're going to fix their awful billing systems to have card charges universally applied. Right now it is all over the map even within a single Comcast area, depending on which CSR you get, any escalation you do, etc. That is the big lie they tell to the FCC, that they're going to have a standard card charge as the FCC requires.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #8630
chiguy50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The lie is that they're going to fix their awful billing systems to have card charges universally applied. Right now it is all over the map even within a single Comcast area, depending on which CSR you get, any escalation you do, etc. That is the big lie they tell to the FCC, that they're going to have a standard card charge as the FCC requires.
You and I are in the same boat (and in the same Comcast service area, apparently). I've suggested before that we all write to TiVo CEO Tom Rogers (Tom Rogers, CEO/President, TiVo, 2160 Gold Street, P.O. Box 2160, Alviso, CA 95002). TiVo can team up with their industry partners to apply a helluva lot more pressure on the FCC than we lowly private citizens ever could. And they have a vested interest in opposing Comcast's billing procedures since they make TiVo's products less competitive (by design IMO).

How about it? The more of us that let TiVo corporate governance know what we're dealing with, the more likely we'll get some action.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #8631
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post

You and I are in the same boat (and in the same Comcast service area, apparently). I've suggested before that we all write to TiVo CEO Tom Rogers (Tom Rogers, CEO/President, TiVo, 2160 Gold Street, P.O. Box 2160, Alviso, CA 95002). TiVo can team up with their industry partners to apply a helluva lot more pressure on the FCC than we lowly private citizens ever could. And they have a vested interest in opposing Comcast's billing procedures since they make TiVo's products less competitive (by design IMO).

How about it? The more of us that let TiVo corporate governance know what we're dealing with, the more likely we'll get some action.
That's pretty much pointless since Tom Rogers couldn't do anything even if he wanted to. As long as Comcast is providing the user owned equipment credit, why would he care how much the outlet fee is since it's also applied to Comcast's own cable boxes. I also think you give TiVo more clout than it actually has. It's a tiny company compared to the cable behemoths, especially Comcast which owns Universal Pictures and several TV channels.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #8632
chiguy50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
That's pretty much pointless since Tom Rogers couldn't do anything even if he wanted to. As long as Comcast is providing the user owned equipment credit, why would he care how much the outlet fee is since it's also applied to Comcast's own cable boxes. I also think you give TiVo more clout than it actually has. It's a tiny company compared to the cable behemoths, especially Comcast which owns Universal Pictures and several TV channels.
1) The point of contention is the fees that Comcast is charging for CableCARDs. And the fact is that, no matter how they disguise it, Comcast is now charging $10 for each CC beyond the first device. That is far above the FCC-suggested $2 to $4. Comcast's intent is clearly to negate the long-term financial advantage of purchasing a TiVo with PLS vs. renting a DVR from Comcast.

2) I disagree with your view that TiVo has no leverage. They, together with their fellow members of the video navigation device industry, were players in the vetting of the new FCC CableCARD rules. Their industry consortium most definitely has a voice that commands the attention of the FCC. At the very least, they can bring about a closer FCC review of Comcast's methods.

3) Regardless of the merits of the above arguments, it's potentially more productive to bring this issue to the attention of TiVo than just sharing our dissatisfaction with each other. And like chicken soup for a cold--it couldn't hurt!
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #8633
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post

1) The point of contention is the fees that Comcast is charging for CableCARDs. And the fact is that, no matter how they disguise it, Comcast is now charging $10 for each CC beyond the first device. That is far above the FCC-suggested $2 to $4. Comcast's intent is clearly to negate the long-term financial advantage of purchasing a TiVo with PLS vs. renting a DVR from Comcast.
Technically Comcast isn't charging $10 per card. They have no card fees (they say as much on their web site). They are charging an outlet fee, simply because they can, but as I stated they charge that fee for their own boxes as well. Yes it's a money grab, just like their HD and 3D fees, but it's not illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
2) I disagree with your view that TiVo has no leverage. They, together with their fellow members of the video navigation device industry, were players in the vetting of the new FCC CableCARD rules. Their industry consortium most definitely has a voice that commands the attention of the FCC. At the very least, they can bring about a closer FCC review of Comcast's methods.
TiVo is the only industry company still manufacturing a CableCARD compatible device (with the exception of a PC card manufacture). All their "partners" abandoned cableCards years ago, so their is no consortium any more. It's just TiVo.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #8634
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Technically Comcast isn't charging $10 per card. They have no card fees (they say as much on their web site). They are charging an outlet fee, simply because they can, but as I stated they charge that fee for their own boxes as well. Yes it's a money grab, just like their HD and 3D fees, but it's not illegal.
The thing is that while Comcast may say they are charging $0 for the CableCARD and $10 for the "Additional Digital Outlet", there are a number of problems with this claim. 1. The charge is added to your account the day you acquire the card, not when it is activated. 2. You have to explicitly request the "Customer owned Equipment Credit" whereas it should be automatic. 4. You can actually get an additional digital outlet using a DTA with a total additional monthly cost of $1.99. Yes, it is a limited subset of channels but there is no option to do that with a CableCARD device. 5. IMHO, the credit is way lower than it should be based on my reading of the FCC rules on how it is supposed to be calculated.

Having said all that, I don't think complaining to the FCC will do any good. They obviously have more important things to worry about. After all, they have to find some way to shut down FOX News and talk radio.

I've been thinking that it might be worthwhile to contact content providers. Most people have a limited budget for cable and Comcast is forcing them to choose between adding/maintaining multiple outlets and adding/maintaining pay channels.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #8635
chiguy50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't think complaining to the FCC will do any good. They obviously have more important things to worry about. After all, they have to find some way to shut down FOX News and talk radio.
IF ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would make it worth paying $10 for every CableCARD.

BTW, if you listen to Faux Noise and talk radio, then you should be in favor of shutting down the FCC altogether, right? Caveat emptor to the max.

Last edited by chiguy50 : 11-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #8636
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I dont think it's necessarily a lie at all.

it IS perfectly legal to charge additional outlet fees- the government made it so. And comcast doesn't necessarily shy away from screwing their rental box customers with them too- they even started nailing people with DTA's for those (albeit at a discount).

and I'm sure the "fix" to their billing will eventually be to nail everyone with those fees. They already apparently started auditing people's accounts to make sure everyone gets screwed- myself they took away some 'owned equipment credits' that they had been giving me by mistake. I loathe the day they start nailing me the additional outlet fees- I do hope the presence of FIOS in my market at least slows them down.

Hopefully Tivo can get their whole home solution in place well before that and figure out some way to help out folks who already invested in multiple premiers move to the whole home (aka an upgrade discount).

Myself- I feel like our congress critters let us down and allows pay tv (like everything else) to fall to the lowest common denominator. JMHO- everyone has one i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The lie is that they're going to fix their awful billing systems to have card charges universally applied. Right now it is all over the map even within a single Comcast area, depending on which CSR you get, any escalation you do, etc. That is the big lie they tell to the FCC, that they're going to have a standard card charge as the FCC requires.
well as predicted- you guys who have been paying additional outlet fees won. You got your way. On behalf of the folks who were paying less I'd like to say "Thank You so much" for all your complaints. Only a little sarcastic- mostly joking- I'm sure they would have figured out how to standardize to their benefit eventually anyway.

Now we all are getting them. They have "standardized" on screwing everyone equally.

Quote:
Dear valued customer
...
It has come to our attention that we may not have billed your account correctly for your subscription on your TIVO. The error will be corrected with your next billing statement thereafter and your monthly rate will increase from $149.99 to $177.74.
...
I returned 2 cards for my old "extra" S3 (and I'll be cancelling that sub for Tivo so they're out ~$7 too). So In the end I think I'll just wind up paying 11.75 more a month to cable. But still that's $141 a year in the interest of making the FCC happy and us all paying the same.

Sometimes the intention of regulations goes horribly wrong in the implementation.

To me, it's a much bigger issue that they started charging for DTA's even if it's a discount over the regular "additional outlet fee"- they masterfully manipulated the FCC to get back to the point we were ~20 or so years ago where you had to pay for every tv connected. It was one thing when only "premium" sort of things like TiVo's were effected but now they have managed to screw even the old lady who wants a second tv in her kitchen just to watch CNN. Now she has to pay extra for the second tv on basic cable. That's a mess and the FCC is responsible.

Last edited by MichaelK : 12-02-2012 at 02:34 PM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #8637
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,480
You might be able to contest that letter. I got one of those a few years ago and managed to get the charges reversed. That was then though, things might be different now.


I didn't get one of those letters, but when I just checked my latest bill, I noticed that Comcast removed 2 of my 4 customer owned device credits on Oct 8, so now I'm only getting a $5 credit instead of $10 (I.e. $5 more a month). They also back charged me $7 for the difference.

I'm not sure why they did this as the number of devices on my account is the same. My bill says I have 3 cableCards, which hasn't changed. I actually have 4, but 2 are in my S3, so maybe they are counting that as one. I'd call and complain, but I don't want to get socked with outlet fees. I'll probably call in March when my current promo ends and my bill will shoot up $60 a month anyway.

Edit:

On their web site I see a $5 credit added on November 14 so I really have no idea what they are doing.

Last edited by morac : 12-02-2012 at 03:08 PM.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #8638
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio
 
sbourgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New England
Posts: 6,376
Has anyone been able to pick up a cable card at a local Comcast office for an elderly relative who lives at a different address? I got my parents a refurb Premier for Christmas and I don't want to spoil the surprise and also don't want to burden them with any additional install costs or the hassle of going to the Comcast office. Basically, I'd like to pick up the cablecard on my own and bring it over their house to pair it even though their account is in their name at their address.

I figured I'd try CSR roulette some time this week and see if someone with a clue could answer my question.
__________________
"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- cheesesteak
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #8639
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 11,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Now we all are getting them. They have "standardized" on screwing everyone equally.
Not everyone, at least not yet...
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #8640
chiguy50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
well as predicted- you guys who have been paying additional outlet fees won. You got your way. On behalf of the folks who were paying less I'd like to say "Thank You so much" for all your complaints. Only a little sarcastic- mostly joking- I'm sure they would have figured out how to standardize to their benefit eventually anyway.
I can only speak for myself, but I doubt anyone here has been begging Comcast to jack up their fees on everyone else just so we can feel better about our own plight. Quite the opposite, I've been urging them to rethink their policy regarding the $10 monthly CC charge not just based on the FCC guidelines but also in terms of long-term corporate benefits, such as customer retention. (Of course, I'm also hoping to get a pony for Christmas.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Now we all are getting them. They have "standardized" on screwing everyone equally.
I think you give Comcast far too much credit here; their patchwork billing procedures are so convoluted there is bound to be a smattering of customers who will still be billed at lesser CC charges for a long time to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
But still that's $141 a year in the interest of making the FCC happy and us all paying the same.

Sometimes the intention of regulations goes horribly wrong in the implementation.

To me, it's a much bigger issue that they started charging for DTA's even if it's a discount over the regular "additional outlet fee"- they masterfully manipulated the FCC to get back to the point we were ~20 or so years ago where you had to pay for every tv connected. It was one thing when only "premium" sort of things like TiVo's were effected but now they have managed to screw even the old lady who wants a second tv in her kitchen just to watch CNN. Now she has to pay extra for the second tv on basic cable. That's a mess and the FCC is responsible.
I support your basic point, but I believe your emphasis is misdirected. The new CC rules, as I understand them, were intended to facilitate the marketability of devices such as TiVo in competition with the MSO's. The standardized fee structure--which is really only a guideline, not a strict mandate--is probably the most consumer-friendly aspect of the rules. But it's not surprising that Comcast's phalanx of lawyers found a way around the guidelines.

The problem with the FCC is not so much in the new rules (which represent a compromise between competing corporate interests) but rather in weak enforcement and, even more broadly, underemphasis on consumer protection. But that's just a subset of our current system of government, which is more responsive to deep-pocketed special interests than to the general populace.

Besides venting here like the rest of us, you can fight back by (1) cancelling your service and telling Comcast why you are leaving them for a competitor, or (2) writing to your Congressman, or (3) asking TiVo to counterattack at the FCC, or (4) organizing your own "special interest group" to lobby Washington, or (and here's a really radical proposal) (5) stop voting corporate toadies into office!!

Last edited by chiguy50 : 12-03-2012 at 10:05 AM.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |