TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Plenty of bands would be fine without electricity. But the Monroe Republic is a place for villains and murderers, not artists and intellectuals. Maybe one of the other territories has leaders who don't rule with wanton cruelty and arbitrary violence; if I were a musician I'd rather live in one of them.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Plenty of bands would be fine without electricity. But the Monroe Republic is a place for villains and murderers, not artists and intellectuals. Maybe one of the other territories has leaders who don't rule with wanton cruelty and arbitrary violence; if I were a musician I'd rather live in one of them.
Well, we know it's not California. What did Monroe call them? Heathens? Savages??

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
HOUSE LIGHTBULB MOMENT
How come nobody has managed to cross the Atlantic in a helium balloon? AFAIK, you don't need electricity for one of those, and it has been done.
We don't know that nobody has. We just haven't been shown anybody who has. It's a similar thing to the idea of sailing a tall ship across. We don't know if it's been done----only if it has, no word has apparently reached Monroe of it.

(I do think that ballooning across the Atlantic would be pretty treacherous. It's known for high winds and nasty weather and cold and nobody would be able to track you, so chances are excellent you'd sail away and vanish in the vastness of the ocean and no one would ever know if you made it across or not.)

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't know about pianos, but I was under the impression that violin strings had a "shelf life" of some sort.

Also, the last time I looked, string instruments are made of wood, so I would guess it got to a point where a lot people had to choose between doing without violin music or doing without fuel for the fire.
Welcome to the golden age of a cappella music!!!

Last edited by verdugan : 11-14-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
verdugan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #35
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Realistically, it's safe to say that if they haven't mentioned it on the show then no one has thought of it (i.e. the writers haven't thought of it).
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Realistically, it's safe to say that if they haven't mentioned it on the show then no one has thought of it (i.e. the writers haven't thought of it).
That's quite a stretch just on general principle IMO.
There will always be a lot of things that aren't mentioned but people are thinking about- they can't show us 24/7 thought bubbles for everyone on the show
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Welcome to the golden age of a cappella music!!!

A cappella Led Zeplin.....it's gonna be legend---

ARY!!

(what? you wanted meaningful content in a post about a band tie-in on a stupid sci-fi show?)

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
We don't know that nobody has. We just haven't been shown anybody who has. It's a similar thing to the idea of sailing a tall ship across. We don't know if it's been done----only if it has, no word has apparently reached Monroe of it.

(I do think that ballooning across the Atlantic would be pretty treacherous. It's known for high winds and nasty weather and cold and nobody would be able to track you, so chances are excellent you'd sail away and vanish in the vastness of the ocean and no one would ever know if you made it across or not.)
Same reason that we discussed about people sailing across the ocean....Why would you? What is there to gain? That is a luxury that would only be allowed to happen once everybody's basic needs are all met. The risk vs reward just isnt there.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #39
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Same reason that we discussed about people sailing across the ocean....Why would you? What is there to gain? That is a luxury that would only be allowed to happen once everybody's basic needs are all met. The risk vs reward just isnt there.
If I was like dead Brit chick and my family was on the OTHER side of the ocean, I'd darned well make an effort sometime within those 15 years. Yeah, you might die, but you might die here too (like she did) so there's not nearly so much to lose.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #40
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
That's quite a stretch just on general principle IMO.
There will always be a lot of things that aren't mentioned but people are thinking about- they can't show us 24/7 thought bubbles for everyone on the show
For other shows this would be the case. This show is not that deep and is not being written in a science fiction style, so I find it unlikely that they have thought of most of the things we discuss in these threads. They appear to be motivated mostly by swashbuckling and adventure.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #41
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Another thought---they show us 7 amulets and tell us there are 12. Logically, the remaining 5 must be overseas. This at least implies that there's some reason that the amulets need to be spread over a wide area to do whatever it is they do (or keep them from doing whatever it is they do). Reuniting the amulets in one location could be a VERY good incentive to risk a trip like that.

Cynic Polcamilla says that the show probably doesn't have the budget to go all Around the World in 180 Days on us.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #42
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
They appear to be motivated mostly by swashbuckling and adventure.
There hasn't been nearly so much swash and buckling lately. Has anyone even TRIED to swing on a chandelier in the last 4 episodes? Mostly they seem to keep getting distracted by hastily rescuing anyone who wanders into a quarter mile radius of them.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #43
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
If I was like dead Brit chick and my family was on the OTHER side of the ocean, I'd darned well make an effort sometime within those 15 years. Yeah, you might die, but you might die here too (like she did) so there's not nearly so much to lose.
It seemed to me like she looked all over for someone to sail her on a ship in her flashback episode... no one would sail her. Unless she wanted to swim, I don't really know what her options were.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #44
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Yeah, but even if she thought about balloons, she wouldn't have the know-how to make one or the helium to blow it up. Or the money to pay anyone who did, if she could find anyone.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #45
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
There hasn't been nearly so much swash and buckling lately. Has anyone even TRIED to swing on a chandelier in the last 4 episodes? Mostly they seem to keep getting distracted by hastily rescuing anyone who wanders into a quarter mile radius of them.
But they use swords to do so! Swords and explosions and never anything in-between. It would have been nice to at least see them carrying the unstable dynamite so we could have the tension of whether or not Aaron is actually Leslie Arzt under that beard.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #46
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
But they use swords to do so! Swords and explosions and never anything in-between. It would have been nice to at least see them carrying the unstable dynamite so we could have the tension of whether or not Aaron is actually Leslie Arzt under that beard.

He was a guest star this week on
Spoiler:
Castle

Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #47
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
It seemed to me like she looked all over for someone to sail her on a ship in her flashback episode... no one would sail her. Unless she wanted to swim, I don't really know what her options were.
I think I missed that episode. I'd go back and see if it's on-demand but....I don't really care.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #48
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I think I missed that episode. I'd go back and see if it's on-demand but....I don't really care.
Then you must also have missed the discussion around why they would actually tear up all the ships for firewood and why ships were suddenly made with firewood in the show. Shame.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #49
laria
Librocubicularist

It was quite a few episodes back... I dunno if it would still be there. She was in Seattle during the blackout, traveled to the East Coast trying to find a way to get back to England, no one would take her, and was about to off herself by a lake when Ben found her.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #50
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Yeah, but even if she thought about balloons, she wouldn't have the know-how to make one or the helium to blow it up. Or the money to pay anyone who did, if she could find anyone.

Dude----haven't you ever watched The Wizard of Oz?? They're called hot AIR balloons because you fill the balloon with air that has been heated, not with helium.

(Also, there's a helium shortage right now---you can't even get party balloons filled, let alone giant person-transporting ones. Not that this has anything to do with the show....)

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #51
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Then you must also have missed the discussion around why they would actually tear up all the ships for firewood and why ships were suddenly made with firewood in the show. Shame.
Nah....I read the TCF thread.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #52
stellie93

I wonder if anybody tried to set up some kind of mail service or newspapers? Like post offices in big towns and pony express going from one to another? How would anyone know if someone crossed the ocean or not? Unless they came back... Can a raven fly that far? 15 years is a long time--they should be better organized.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #53
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I wonder if anybody tried to set up some kind of mail service or newspapers? Like post offices in big towns and pony express going from one to another? How would anyone know if someone crossed the ocean or not? Unless they came back... Can a raven fly that far? 15 years is a long time--they should be better organized.
And yet they seem to be able to dig up random family members of people they want to blackmail at a moment's notice.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #54
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Ravens make terrible messenger birds. Better to stick with pigeons.

Anyways, the problem with ALL messenger birds (the ones NOT in fantasy novels, anyway) is that they really only know how to fly "home" so the only way you can send message reliably with them is to hand-carry one from its home to someplace else, attach the message, then release it.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #55
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
And yet they seem to be able to dig up random family members of people they want to blackmail at a moment's notice.
I want to know what currency standard they're using for bribes----Monroe Bux?

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #56
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
This really isn't related to Revolvolution at all but I LOVE this article and it comes in handy when discussing Build-Your-Own Economies:

http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/pies.htm --- Economics of Pern (from the Anne McCaffrey book series)

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #57
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
This really isn't related to Revolvolution at all but I LOVE this article and it comes in handy when discussing Build-Your-Own Economies:

http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/pies.htm --- Economics of Pern (from the Anne McCaffrey book series)
That is a fun article, though I am pretty sure I could feel a pocket protector growing on my shirt as I was reading it. In the world of Revolution, the currency of the Monroe Republic appears to be largely binary in nature. Either we kill someone you care about (i.e. you don't get paid) or we don't (you get paid).

Last edited by TAsunder : 11-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #58
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That is a fun article, though I am pretty sure I could feel a pocket protector growing on my shirt as I was reading it. In the world of Revolution, the currency of the Monroe Republic appears to be largely binary in nature. Either we kill someone you care about (i.e. you get paid) or we don't (you don't get paid).
Nate was getting beat up for "bribing a stable boy". Yeah, MONROE isn't bribing anyone, but clearly others are....and "Give me what I want and I won't kill you" is technically more bullying than bribing.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #59
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Nate was getting beat up for "bribing a stable boy". Yeah, MONROE isn't bribing anyone, but clearly others are....and "Give me what I want and I won't kill you" is technically more bullying than bribing.
Yeah but did he bribe the stable boy with "currency" or just some sort of item that is worth a certain number of MOSYLOs ("monroe spares your loved one"s) if sold on the open market?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #60
JYoung
Series 3

I thought we saw Nora bribing the bridge guard with coins in the beginning of the episode.
Perhaps they were gold.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote