Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Anyone have their tuners die?

I have a premiere from 9/2010.

Started to get some tiling/pixelation. Lasted 24 hours during our first cold spike so I let it be.

Woke up to no signal on both tuners.

Turns out the tuners will not pick up any signal even thought I know there is good signal.

Brought my Bedroom premiere and hooked it up and it works fine on this line.

UI and all recordings play back with no issues so HD is fine. It is a new HD i put in about 6 months ago.

I work for the Cable Co so I did my tests and know 100% the signal is fine. I currently have a cable Co DVR hooked up and it has been working fine for 24+hrs.

Is the tuner replaceable at all?

Anyone experience this? Haven't called Tivo since it is OOW.

Odd.....
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
poppagene
User

Is it the digital tuners or the OTA? Could a cablecard have gone bad, or become unseated or need to be paired again? Try swapping the cable cards
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Since it happened when it first got cold, did you check all the coaxial cable connections? When we had out first cold snap, my reception went to crap on one of my Premirees. I went and checked all the connections and several of them were loose because of the cold. I just tightened them and everything was fine. I've had this happen several times over the years so that is the first thing I check when reception issues coincide with a temperaure drop.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Is it the digital tuners or the OTA? Could a cablecard have gone bad, or become unseated or need to be paired again? Try swapping the cable cards
Thanks for the reply,

I am using the Digital Tuners. I have swapped the cable card. Also the Tuning Adapter is completely out of the loop as well.

When I took the CC out and redid Guided setup and went to Analog mode the Pic also looked horrible. Snowy and lines in the pic.
I verified on the TV itself that the analog pic looks fine on it.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Since it happened when it first got cold, did you check all the coaxial cable connections? When we had out first cold snap, my reception went to crap on one of my Premirees. I went and checked all the connections and several of them were loose because of the cold. I just tightened them and everything was fine. I've had this happen several times over the years so that is the first thing I check when reception issues coincide with a temperaure drop.
Sure did.

Mentioned that in my OP and currently have a Cable CO DVR working fine on the same line.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

I've had tuners die in previous gen models, but not the Premier. I had one Series 3 that had a tuner go bad after a couple of months (it was an SD tuner - some channels would not come in at all, and those that did were black and white), and the replacement I got for that unit came with a bad tuner in it! It happens.

Whether it can be replaced is way beyond me, though. Probably, if you are someone who can repair electronics. Identifying the dead one and getting your hands on a replacement will be the tricky part.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
shamilian

You may want to try using the other Tivo's power supply to see if the power supply may be causing the problem. (power supply is easy to change out)
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

In case someone comes across this in a search.

The power supply was dying as documented here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...56#post9405756
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
billbillw

Tico,
Just wondering if you ever figured out this issue. Bad Tivo tuners? Bad power supply? I'm having the same issue. My Premiere tuners have suddenly gone blank. Rebooted, tried another cable card. Tested cable connection, etc.

This all happened as I was swapping some cables around to clean things up. Almost as if a spike of some sort happened while I was reconnecting the cables.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
sharkster

Not yet, but I'm worried about this with one of my Premieres. Intermittently, and recently for several days in a row, I turned on the TV to find that I couldn't get numerous channels. Sometimes I could get those channels on one tuner but not the other (which makes no sense to me, but anyway...). Sometimes it would just be 'no video signal' at all when I turned on the TV, both tuners. I would have to restart the Tivo and then, magically, both tuners recognized all channels every time.

I don't know what this means and have learned over recent years that calling techs (no matter the company - cable, phone, etc) you just cannot get straight answers and any ten techs will probably give you ten different answers.

So, I just continue to hope for the best. At least it's under warranty as it's less than a yr old plus I purchased extended. I recently had a big internet connection kerfluffle and ended up replacing both my modem and router. I cannot imagine how that would be elemental with tuner issues but it's been fine the last few days. I just wonder if the modem or router problems I had was sending some weird, broken, signal or something, that affected more aspects of the Tivo than it should have. While my internet and network were down I learned that it affects more of the Tivo services than I thought before.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Tico,
Just wondering if you ever figured out this issue. Bad Tivo tuners? Bad power supply? I'm having the same issue. My Premiere tuners have suddenly gone blank. Rebooted, tried another cable card. Tested cable connection, etc.

This all happened as I was swapping some cables around to clean things up. Almost as if a spike of some sort happened while I was reconnecting the cables.

It was the Power Supply.

Had 2 Caps go bad.

Swapped them and all is now back to normal.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
It was the Power Supply.

Had 2 Caps go bad.

Swapped them and all is now back to normal.
I'll keep that in mind. Turns out my issue was the cables. Oddly, my MoCA was working, but it saw no cable feed. I switched a few jumpers around in my attic and was able to get everything working again. Not sure if a cable got chewed up outside, or if a connector is loose on the main spliter. Its pouring rain out now, so I'm not going to check today. Very strange coincidence though.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Here is the link detailing the Cap issue.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...56#post9405756