TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
toddspch

Tivo Fall 12 Update - New Sounds

Anyone else mildly "annoyed" by the addition of a tivo sound effect when changing channels now? Wish there was a setting to turn this off (without turning off all the very useful sound effects).
toddspch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddspch View Post
Anyone else mildly "annoyed" by the addition of a tivo sound effect when changing channels now? Wish there was a setting to turn this off (without turning off all the very useful sound effects).
Yeah I noticed that too. It is very annoying.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
toddspch

Any way to get rid of it?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I noticed it and turned the sounds off. It's just too much.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I don't have that issue here since every channel has DD audio. With DD there are no sound effects.

But that seems like a very weird choice to have a sound effect every time the channel is changed.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Channel changes can be slow, so the sound alerts the user that the TiVo is working on changing it. Makes sense to me.

Then again I don't watch live TV ever, so I'd never notice it anyway.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
mattack

wow, someone annoyed by new sound effects, but NOT the rest of the annoying sound effects? (After the initial setup, the first thing I do is turn off the sound effects.. Heck, if it let me turn them off during guided setup, it might literally be the first thing I do!)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
wow, someone annoyed by new sound effects, but NOT the rest of the annoying sound effects? (After the initial setup, the first thing I do is turn off the sound effects.. Heck, if it let me turn them off during guided setup, it might literally be the first thing I do!)
Really now?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
celtic pride

I also turn off sound effects on all my tivos my wife and i hate the sounds. and we have owened 8 tivos ,currently down to 2 tivos .
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I like the sounds. However I always set them to Low since they are a bit too loud on the other settings. I'm actually kind of disappointed TiVo can't render them when the source audio is 5.1. I miss the doop, doop doop when FFing.

Dan
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
I agree 100% with Dan. The sound effects let the user know his request has been accepted. There is nothing worse than waiting for an action to complete when one has no idea whether the request has even been received. When the batteries on the remote are gettting a little low, not having the sound effects would drive me insane. When the batteries are low, but nowhere near dead, under heavy use every fourth or fifth button press can be lost.

I also agree I would never notice a sound on channel changes. I haven't changed the channel more than 4 or 5 times in the last 12 years.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I like the sounds. However I always set them to Low since they are a bit too loud on the other settings. I'm actually kind of disappointed TiVo can't render them when the source audio is 5.1. I miss the doop, doop doop when FFing.
Hmm. I never noticed that one. I only rarely use FF.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
toddspch

All this sounds great for those of you who have the sounds turned off or never change channels, but just talk to people in the TV advertising industry -- there are still many of us out there who "graze" and channel changing is part of that equation. The fact that the channel changing is "slow" as Dan put it, is a problem in itself, but hearing the sound on each channel is just not necessary. (I wonder if the folks at Tivo thought this was an enhancement since we didn't seem to miss it for the last 12 years as multiple Tivo user.)
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
b_scott
TiVo Fan

wait, you can watch live TV on a Tivo?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Technically no, you can't.

"Live" TV is delayed several milliseconds from being recorded to/retrieved from the hard drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The fact that the channel changing is "slow" as Dan put it, is a problem in itself
This is the nature of digital TV. With MPEG-2 encoding, and even more so with MPEG-4/H.264 encoding, it can take a 1/2 second or so for the stream to hit a sync point where the device can even start to decode the video. Add in the slight lag TiVo has due to the way it buffers all video to the disc and you've got a 1+ second delay for each channel change.

Dan
Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Not if it is recording on all tuners. A rare occurrence, indeed, for that not to be the case.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Technically no, you can't.

"Live" TV is delayed several milliseconds from being recorded to/retrieved from the hard drive.
It's delayed a lot longer than that. It varies by model, but it's about two seconds.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not if it is recording on all tuners. A rare occurrence, indeed, for that not to be the case.
Really? you can't watch "live" tv as it's being recorded? when did tivo make that change?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I agree 100% with Dan. The sound effects let the user know his request has been accepted. There is nothing worse than waiting for an action to complete when one has no idea whether the request has even been received.
The yellow light blinking on the TiVo shows me that the request has been received.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's delayed a lot longer than that. It varies by model, but it's about two seconds.
I thought as much, but I figured I would err on the side of caution with my numbers.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
It doesn't have to be 5.1, just Dolby Digital. All my SD channels are in DD 2.0(I guess some of the SD premiums are in 5.1 though), and there are some HD channels in DD 2.0 also. I get no sound effects whether DD 1.0, DD 1.1, DD 2.0......DD 5.0, DD 5.1, and all the choices in between.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Really? you can't watch "live" tv as it's being recorded? when did tivo make that change?
I don't think most people would include that in the definition of "live TV". The term suggests the ability to surf. I would say that is, "Watching something as it is being recorded", not "live".
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
b_scott
TiVo Fan

sorry, my /sarcasm tag wasn't included
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
lrhorer

Quote:
The yellow light blinking on the TiVo shows me that the request has been received.
1. None of my TiVos are visible when I am watching TV. Even if they were, I would not be looking at them when I press a button.

2. The yellow light does not necessarily mean the command has been properly processed. For example, the light will flash when one gets a Bonk! response. It also does so when the Tivo receives a garbled or unknown signal.