TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
banjoguy

Reading all these post but still lost, need help

We have an older, 2004 I think model Hr 10-250 Hughes DVR dual tuner running Directv off a 3 lbn oval dish. The unit is starting to reboot several times a day and I'm not sure if it is just starting to go or the mysterious reboot problem.

I would like to keep everything the same (no HD) with a new unit however it looks like it will have to be an HD receiver. Questions:

Would a directv Tivo THR22 work off my existing 3 LBN dish, (no HD)?
Where do I buy it, from Directv or someone like Weak Knees and I guess there are others selling them?
I read about the 2006 lease thing with Directv, who owns the unit? How can it be that I buy it yet lease it?
If it will work on my dish is it an ok receiver?

We have had Directv in our homes for longer than I can remember but I have lost what's going on with the latest technology as nothing has ever need to be changed.
banjoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Vodo

I have two of these receivers and they both began randomly rebooting (not at the same time) several days ago. I suspect it's a Tivo problem as opposed to a hardware issue. Something similar happened a couple of years ago right around the time change.

BTW, I'm in Florida also, so it could be a system update that just reached this region and is causing problems for us.
Vodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

1. Yes, an THR22 Tivo will work with your old 3-LNB dish. No HD channels of course.

2. DirecTV. Solid Signal. Weaknees.

3. It's leased. DirecTV owns it. Been that way since 2006, unless you're willing to pay several hundred dollars. And find a way to actually buy one outright. Really no benefit to "owning".
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
banjoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodo View Post
I have two of these receivers and they both began randomly rebooting (not at the same time) several days ago. I suspect it's a Tivo problem as opposed to a hardware issue. Something similar happened a couple of years ago right around the time change.

BTW, I'm in Florida also, so it could be a system update that just reached this region and is causing problems for us.

I'm in Clermont just west of Orlando so it may be the same problem as you have.

So if I go to Weak Knees and buy a THR22 for around $200 I am still leasing it? I have never heard of anything that you buy and don't buy it out right. Unless by buying it from anyone, you are really buying a lease. Is that how it works? I would then think they are responsible to maintain it for free or is that to much to ask for these days?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Idearat

Same with my HDVR2 here in CA. It stopped receiving most of the locals back in July. The rebooting started a few days ago. I'd thought it was the prelude to a coincidental hard drive failure, but now that I know not just me it looks like DirecTV is still messing with things.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, if you "buy" it from Solid Signal for $200 you are leasing You are paying the "lease upgrade fee". And yes, if you do this then DirecTV will maintain it, though you will pay a shipping fee if they need to replace it.

I have read of other "Series 2" DTiVos rebooting lately, and the theory is that it is related to a change in guide data and this has been reported to DirecTV (I read here.)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
banjoguy

Ok, I'm up to speed now and can take it from here, thanks everyone.