TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Family Guy's 200th episode - "yuG ylimaF"

I thought the time moving backwards bit was pretty funny. The sdrawkcab chicken fight was classic.

I wish the episode would have been an hour long rather than having the 30 minute retrospective or whatever that was with Seth and the writers. Nothing kills the funny more than having the writers sit around and disect the series and how the jokes are derived. yawn

But if they had to show that, they should have shown it before the episode since many of the scenes they referenced in the backwards time ep were shown in the discussion panel.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

Eh....I am over the time machine plot line......I mean when I saw the description for this episode on TiVo......I told my son "we have seen this one before" it sounded so familiar.

I agree with Bob, the "retrospective" was a let down as well. I did think the chicken fight was well done, and with this being a "special" episode, could we really NOT have a chicken fight?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Okay, I'll ask: if everybody else was going backward relative to Brian and Stewie, why weren't the others talking backward as well?
(And as long as I'm being nitpicky, Brian didn't take the return pad with him on his first trip, so how could he have gotten back?)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Also, I'm glad I was watching it live so that I could pad it by 30 minutes. I saw that the 49's game was running late so I wasn't sure if Fox was going to "join The Simpsons already in progress" with 43 seconds left in that show, not show The Simpsons at all, or not show Bob Burger. I woulda been pissed had I sat down to watch FG tonight and had 1/2 the show cut off. Actually, though, since I'd only miss the retrospective it would have been no big deal.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Also, I'm glad I was watching it live so that I could pad it by 30 minutes. I saw that the 49's game was running late so I wasn't sure if Fox was going to "join The Simpsons already in progress" with 43 seconds left in that show, not show The Simpsons at all, or not show Bob Burger. I woulda been pissed had I sat down to watch FG tonight and had 1/2 the show cut off. Actually, though, since I'd only miss the retrospective it would have been no big deal.
Fox will not join The Simpsons in progress on a national feed, nor will they pre-empt it if they can help it. If football runs until 8:30, they will consider pre-empting one show rather than having the night's coverage run until 10:30; it may depend on the show involved. (For example, it doesn't make sense to show the Family Guy 200th Episode Retrospective on a different night than the 200th episode itself. Had it been a "normal" American Dad (or The Cleveland Show) episode at 9:30, I wouldn't have been surprised to see an NFL post-game show run until 8:30 and AD pre-empted.)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Okay, I'll ask: if everybody else was going backward relative to Brian and Stewie, why weren't the others talking backward as well?
(And as long as I'm being nitpicky, Brian didn't take the return pad with him on his first trip, so how could he have gotten back?)
I'm guessing that Seth is a 'Sliders' fan based on the parallel dimension episode and that Sliders had an episode with a similar backwards timeline story where they experienced forward moving sections jumping backwards in time.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

I wonder if they animated everything forwards and then reversed it, or actually drew it all backwards?

The non-backwards talking bothered me at first, but it was funnier the way it was.

Oh man, the vomit scene ... loved it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I wonder if they animated everything forwards and then reversed it, or actually drew it all backwards?
Probably drawn forwards and then reversed - you would get more realistic action that way, especially when somebody decides to make a frame-by-frame version of the backward scenes forward.

Anybody familiar with Red Dwarf? There was one episode where they ended up in a parallel universe where time ran backward - and on the DVD release for that season, they included a version of the episode run backward from end to beginning. I would not be surprised if Fox does the same thing with this episode (at least with the scenes where things happen backward).

BTW, yes, that was Lacey Chabert as Meg when Stewie mentioned it - and, this time, she was credited, albeit in the "Also Starring" list.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Because then we wouldn't be able to understand them.

It occurs to me that they could use this episode to reset the series.

Probably won't but they could.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
BTW, yes, that was Lacey Chabert as Meg when Stewie mentioned it - and, this time, she was credited, albeit in the "Also Starring" list.
That was a nice touch ...

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
mrdazzo7

I thought it was "eh..." The backwards chicken fight was pretty funny, and the reverse- Ipecac scene almost had me in tears--that's one of my all time favorite scenes. But a lot of the rest of it just fell flat and then when it ended I was surprised because I thought it was an hour-long episode. And they way it just ended really felt like the middle of an episode.

I'm definitely over the time travel stuff though. This was a good way to end it and just let it be at this point because they're running out of ways to make it funny/different. I do find it funny that anyone would pick apart the realism of the time travel though (i.e. "why were the moving backwards but talking regular? That makes no sense!!") I always get a kick out of people watching a cartoon and not being able to get passed stuff like continuity and not being grounded in factual reality.

They moved backwards but talked normal because it's a cartoon. Same reason Brian can talk, Stewie can build a time machine, Bonnie can be pregnant for eight years, and none of the characters age... none of that stuff should be a factor.

What should be a factor is the fact that the show is just painfully unfunny sometimes. It kills me when a new episode is on and it's just totally phoned in. I know what goes into making an animated show so it's more likely to me that they're just running out of ideas, as opposed to not putting the effort in. This episode had a couple of laughs, but too much of it fell flat. No mi gusta when that happens.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
mattack

me gusta..

I think this show (just like "South Park") is hit or miss in humor on a particular person, but another person will love it. The frog scene shown in the retrospective was one example… so was the show with the 50s song sung over and over and over and over..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
mrdazzo7

The frog scene had my hysterical too. I think the cutaways are hurting the most, if anything. More and more they're just scenes of things happening as opposed to something funny... They cutaways are definitely getting lazy.

I think the musical numbers are definitely a big divisor for fans--they're undoubtedly a huge part of the fabric of the show, and I can definitely appreciate the technical/creative aspects of making them, but for me, I FF through them... I watch FG to laugh my a** off and the musical numbers aren't typically funny (and if they are, it's not hysterical funny)... I've heard a lot of what went into making the "Shipoopi" sequence from the episode where Peter joins the Patriots. A TON of work went into that from everyone involved, but for me, it wasn't funny so I didn't care. There was no comedy involved, it was a straight rendition of the song. So stuff like that probably has fans split too.

My favorite scenes:
"Osama Bin Laden cave tape"--one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.
"Where's my money?" - must have watched that 200 times.
"Quick, someone call 9-1-BLLLLAAHHH"
"And Brian comes in and he changes the tempo, yeah Brian comes in and it changes the song. Lookin' at me like I'm some kind of d***che bag"

the list goes on
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It occurs to me that they could use this episode to reset the series.

Probably won't but they could.
Other than Bonnie being pregnant, Cleveland living across the street (and being married to Loretta), and Peter working at Happy-Go-Lucky Toys, how do you reset this series? There has already been an episode where Brian and Stewie go back in time to visit themselves 10 years ago, despite the fact that both of them are younger than 10 years old.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
My favorite scenes:
"Osama Bin Laden cave tape"--one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.
"Where's my money?" - must have watched that 200 times.
"Quick, someone call 9-1-BLLLLAAHHH"
"And Brian comes in and he changes the tempo, yeah Brian comes in and it changes the song. Lookin' at me like I'm some kind of d***che bag"

the list goes on
I hated Osama cave. putrid

Where's my money? funny

9-1-blahh . don't know what that is.

Brian comes in. don't know what that is.

THE WORST episode of ALL TIME was "Brian & Stewie". I wanted to fly to Calif. ala Stewie to Will Farrell and bitchslap Seth.