TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
wbgolfer

Series 2 HDVR2 Rebooting (This happened before)

MT Config - Two Series 2 HDVR2's - Hughes SD and MFG 100 SD Model R52180
Both of my DVR's have begun to reboot at various times during the day or evening. I have no idea why they would reboot. But they do not reboot at the same time each day and the both do not reboot at the same time.
This began last week- perhaps 4/5days ago - not exactly sure. I tried to a RESTART at 5PM yesterday (both DVRS) - approx. 3 hours later one of the rebooted!!!
NOTE: Approx two years ago - there was a very similar problem. In fact, it started duuring late September/October and lasted about a month before it was determined that there was an issue with the DVR software. The fix was a new sofware FIX was sent out and then SHAZAM all was well !!!
The symptoms are extremely similar !!!
PS - I seemed to recall that the last problem had something to do with MESSAGES - something like if you went into MESSAGE it started a reboot.
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #32
bstrohl

This isn't a software update problem like last time. My units that are rebooting are running v3.5d but others running 6.4 and 6.5 are having the same problem.

It is a DirecTv problem. My TiVo HD (series 3 w/ v11.0k) that is on the same power and TV as my T60 is not rebooting but the T60 is.

My T60 and DSR6000 are both rebooting. They are in separate rooms and are rebooting at different times.
bstrohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
imaref

Mine rebooted twice again so far today. This makes it 5 days in a row... sigh...
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
ADent

My DSR6000 is rebooting also.

My log files show "Tmk Fatal Error: Thread ApgReader "

I think ApgReader might have something to do with Advanced Program Guide - so bad guide data is a reasonable problem.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
nmiller855

I have both 3.5 & 6.4a running & both are rebooting so I have to assume it is guide data also.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
imaref

4th reboot so far today. Joy.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #37
satpro

Reboot last night at 12:05 am and then again at 3:20 am eastern after each got a directv message came through for the first time in almost a week one was about "tivo is back" promoting HD tivo and the second was about progamming. Have not reboot again on that unit since 3:20 am 11/12/12, not sure about the other tivo receivers I have yet.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #38
bob343

I have two DTivos series 2 boxes (running 6.4a) and one HR10-250 box (running 6.3e). Both the series 2 boxes are rebooting, the HR10 is not, although it's not currently connected to the satellite.

Do you think DTV doesn't like us anymore?
bob343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #39
JackS

[quote= ...Do you think DTV doesn't like us anymore?[/QUOTE]

It's one possibility that DTV is making guide data that is incompatible
with the series2 DVRs. Some may find this is the 'last straw' and upgrade
to new equipment or simply cancel DTV service and move on.

I called DTV (800-531-5000) and explained the unintentional rebooting
and loss of service. The CSR told me that the fault is probably in my old
HDVR2 and that DTV will perform a service call for free. I highly doubt it
because I had my HDVR2 tuner and power supply repaired in 2010.

If nobody calls DTV, they won't fix it. Please call and complain. Thanks,
-Jack
JackS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #40
draiyne

All 4 of mine are doing this too - multiple times - day and night since last Thursday. They haven't recorded one thing all the way thru since then.

I had to replace the power supply on one last year so I thought it might be that but there's no way all four would die at the same time. I'm not happy that it's happening to others but I'm glad it's not just mine. I can't afford to replace them with the new HD models right now.
draiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackS View Post
I called DTV and explained the unintentional rebooting
and loss of service. The CSR told me that the fault is probably in my old
HDVR2

Not surprised that is what they would try to blame and how they would like to handle this instead of rolling back the guide changes they made on Wednesday / Thursday of last week.

Every with directv tivos should log there compaint with directv.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #42
ronsch

No reboots since the one early ths morning. Keeping fingers crossed....
Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
RedmondSteve

Same reboot issue here with two Hughes SD series 2 running 6.4a. DirecTv tech support gave me the same answer that I needed to connect to a phone line. After I did that for one unit, it rebooted itself within the next hour.

The other suggestion from DirecTv was to reset the units completely. Since that loses all recorded programming and season passes, I'm not ready to try that yet.
RedmondSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #44
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackS View Post
It's one possibility that DTV is making guide data that is incompatible
with the series2 DVRs. Some may find this is the 'last straw' and upgrade
to new equipment or simply cancel DTV service and move on.

If nobody calls DTV, they won't fix it. Please call and complain. Thanks,
-Jack
OK, got some answers today on these reboots (mine reboots 2-3 times per day just like it did with v6.3e a few years ago; I have 6.4a now). Just got a call from a lady in the corporate office (I had submitted an extremely negative survey yesterday on the reboots) and she informed me that there is a software issue with the older TiVo's and that they were waiting on enough complaints to institute a software upgrade (which she understands now is being done). I have an SD-DVR80 and DVR-40 (Hughes) that have worked flawlessly for the last 8-years.

She said they are working on the software update as of yesterday (11/11). However, if the software update does not work then they will replace those DVR's with the software problem at no charge based upon what type of DVR you have (same for same).

"If enough people with these TiVo's complain about the reboots, a faster update will occur" (her words). How's that for great service?!? She said mine would be replaced with the R-22's; I asked if I could (if the software update doesn't work) upgrade to the TiVo's shown on their site ($199.00) instead of the comparable R22's and she offered that if I did need new DVR's she would request I get two of them (TiVo's) @ 50% off or $199 for both, not a bad deal. We'll see what happens...if enough people complain they will fix it...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #45
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedmondSteve View Post
Same reboot issue here with two Hughes SD series 2 running 6.4a. DirecTv tech support gave me the same answer that I needed to connect to a phone line. After I did that for one unit, it rebooted itself within the next hour.

The other suggestion from DirecTv was to reset the units completely. Since that loses all recorded programming and season passes, I'm not ready to try that yet.
Based on what I know now, don't do a complete reset and lose your stuff. Read my post above...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #46
satpro

The solution is for directv to just rollback or stop doing whatever they are doing since last Thursday 11/8.

Avoid a clear and reset everything, it isn't going to solve anything, and you will run into the setup dialup number problem, which will then require you to remember and enter your old access number as a dialing prefix, otherwise you will not be able to complete setup.

The phone line connection premise is wrong too, since mine are connected and they are still rebooting 3-4 times a day since Thursday.

I had no reboots for 18 hrs and then again tonight reboot.

Directv should know what they changed just last week, and they need to figure it out, and correct it on their end. If they can't or won't then they are going to have a lot of angry people who are only still with directv because they love their directivos.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #47
Ilovetorecord2

I am in the San Francisco Bay area and my Hugh Series 2 running 6.4a is rebooting everyday as I use the clock in the lower right corner also is gone each day.

I tried setting up a manual recording at the one time it rebooted and was setting it for M-F and it rebooted then.

I noticed that some other programs I recorded were partials at different times.

I was thinking of getting a new hard drive from Weakknees but I know it is not a hard drive program as the drive is pretty new.

I swapped my other Hughes for the TR22 and not so happy with the changes I had to make with that and I can't really buy other tivos because I have stage 4 lung cancer which I plan on beating but I have to be realistic and not spend money for now. I am not swapping this one out because if I have to I might switch to verizon or at&t because Directv might be trying to get rid of our Series 2 and get their dvrs and I will not be forced into something I do not care for and would look at dish even.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #48
nuthkavi

I'm in California and I have a DVR80. Judging by partial recordings and loss of 30-second skip, my first reboot was sometime between the evening of Nov 7 and the evening of Nov 8. Since then I've had at least 1 reboot every day. I know of three particular times: Nov 11 ~4:40pm while "save to vcr" was in progress, Nov 12 ~12:15am (judging by a split recording), Nov 12 ~8pm (while watching a recorded program and starting two recordings from the to-do list).
nuthkavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #49
gsjenkins

Another rebooter here. Two different units. A third, not hooked to the satellite, is not rebooting.

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #50
ronsch

Mine is now up to 26 hours without a reboot.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #51
kyderr

I had called and threatened to cancell, I am considering going to cable or Dish, and they have offered me the new DirecTivo, no charge, shipping is $20, and and extra $8 a month for two years. I'd still like to get my Samsung working, as it seems there is no reason it should not work.
kyderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #52
allan
I survived the Mayan

Mine's been rebooting lately. I don't usually know when, but at least one was 5 minutes before the hour.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #53
satpro

Reboot 5:25 am
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
imaref

Mine rebooted overnight again (no clock in lower right hand corner this morning when I turned it on). No reboots during viewing today so far (though it's early).
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #55
imaref

Another reboot at 4:40PM. This is getting old...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
Captain 80s

I knew it was something coming from them that was causing it when 2 units (6.4a) that run off of 2 different dishes (on completely different ends of the house) rebooted at the exact same time on Sunday.
Captain 80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
ronsch

So much for my improvement - back to back reboots at 14:50 and 15:05 this afternoon.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #58
satpro

The reboots are becomeing more frequent today, reboots every 2-3 hours now, almost like a cruel joke on us by the folks reading this at directv.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #59
RedmondSteve

Additional data point is that my two units are rebooting at the exact same time. Seems to support the theory that some data being downloaded is crashing the system.

My units rebooted at approx 15:20 PST today.
RedmondSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #60
imaref

Another reboot at 7:40PM. Neat.