TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
rgr

Premiere performance compered to Series3

I'm considering upgrading to a 4XL from a Series3 and was wondering about general performance comparions - button response, menu response, etc. And/or any other performance enhancements and especially anything that might have actually gotten worse.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
heberman

You lose the ability to have an OTA antenna hookup. That makes the 4XL off limits for me.
heberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I find my Premiere 4XL/Elite in SD to be as fast as if not faster than my S3
I find the Premiere 4XL/Elite in HD to be slightly slower than the S3, but far more useful with the amount of information displayed in the HD screens, I also find the various perks that come from the Premiere 4XL/Elite such as ipad connections and the upcoming Tivo Mini to make it more attractive to me than the S3 in many situations, so it's now my go to box, the S3 is more a "record in the background and get to it later" box as opposed to the Elite which is my "daily driver" this is a change in the past year for me.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The HD menus are a little slower, but with the most recent update they are significantly more useful and have actually gotten me to switch over.

One other thing to keep in mind with the XL4 is it is digital only. So if your cable company has any channels that are still analog only then you will not be able to record those at all. (mine still has about 30 or so, so I had to keep my 2 tuner Premiere for those)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
mattack

I have the newest update, and the HD menus are still SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the SD menus. I like some of the features (and dislike some others, like I have mentioned in other threads -- you can't use channel up/down to move between details of items where you can in SD menus).. But it is definitely more sluggish.

Usable, but sluggish. I still am *likely* to move back to SD menus for speed + a few of the things I like better there.. But it is definitely getting closer to even.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I have the newest update, and the HD menus are still SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the SD menus. I like some of the features (and dislike some others, like I have mentioned in other threads -- you can't use channel up/down to move between details of items where you can in SD menus).. But it is definitely more sluggish.

Usable, but sluggish. I still am *likely* to move back to SD menus for speed + a few of the things I like better there.. But it is definitely getting closer to even.
I have this feeling that the SDUI will go away at some point, maybe with the Series 5 TiVo, I hope not with the Series 4.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

For me the Hdui menu screens are now about the same speed as my HD unit.

Last edited by jrtroo : 11-13-2012 at 05:10 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
rgr

Now I'm starting to rethink getting the unit. I would have thought that a 1 year old design would be significantly faster & more responsive than a 6 or 7 year old design, what with faster processors, memory, etc. I know there are 4 tuners, but wouldn't that impact performance more when all 4 are in use? I thought the TiVo captured the raw stream(s) (a low process function) and actually only transcoded for playback.

Has TiVo succumbed to feature bloat with this unit or has the software not yet finished being optimized?
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

The biggest difference is the UI. The S3 units use what we refer to as the SDUI. That's the traditional TiVo UI just stretched to fit 16:9. The Premiere units have two options the traditional SDUI, which does in fact run a lot faster, or the HDUI. The HDUI is a little slower but has some features that are not available in the old UI. Because the HDUI is based on Flash it uses a completely different part of the chip then the old SDUI which os why there is such a discrepancy in speed.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The HD menus are a little slower, but with the most recent update they are significantly more useful and have actually gotten me to switch over.
They are a lot slower on the Elite vs. SD menus on my HD, but the added features with this year's updates more than make up for it (so far).

It is sad that the hardware is obviously suboptimal for running the current code, and/or the programmers at Tivo can't make it better. There was a serious disconnect between the hardware and software sides of the house when the Premiere was released.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
mr_smits

If you just have one Tivo and don't plan to buy others, then I recommend a 4 tuner Premiere if you need the extra tuners (but can live without OTA).
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have this feeling that the SDUI will go away at some point, maybe with the Series 5 TiVo, I hope not with the Series 4.
I think that would only be possible if they go HDMI only. (Which definitely is likely at this point in time, but I like the multiple outputs, esp since I have one go to my DVD recorder, and sometimes hook HDMI up to the TV directly.)

In other words, if they support any non-16:9 TVs, I think they have to have the SD menus.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote