TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
ADG
Allan

Question about The Good Wife (Anatomy of a Joke) 11-11-12

I have a question about the ending of this episode. Can anyone explain what was going on with Christina Ricci's closing bit about the birthmark? I was fine up to that point, but her joking about it and Alicia finding it so funny made it very confusing for me.

Was it Cary who has the birthmark?

Is there no such birthmark and Ricci "planted" the story with the campaign worker as a joke?

Was it something completely different that I'm (probably) missing?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Cainebj

I think it referred back to the conversation that Peter had with Alicia about how to react to the allegation when he told her about it.

Ricci was using it as fodder for her comedy act - whether or not she was referencing the fact that her lawyer is Peter's wife I don't know. It didn't have anything to do with Cary.

Bottom line is the whole thing is so ludicrous Alicia's reaction in the end is to laugh about it.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
ADG
Allan

But how would Ricci even know about it? Unless I missed it, it never made it to the press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Was the act Alicia was watching any the end a new act or one from before?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
But how would Ricci even know about it? Unless I missed it, it never made it to the press.
Wasn't it a member of the press who brought it up during the press call at the beginning of the show, seeking a preliminary response from the campaign before publishing the allegation?

The episode went on to infer that it was going to be published and that Peter and Alicia needed to determine how they were going to respond. They decided that Alicia would respond incredulously and with a laugh.

My take was that the comedy bit that Alicia was watching at the end was after the claim had gone public, making it fodder for the comedienne's routine, and that Alicia was laughing at it related to her earlier conversation with Cary that merely talking about breasts and penises is funny.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #6

Wasn't it just a joke about difference in size between new jersey and brazil? em...err...you know...inferring hubby's not someone who should be embarrased in the shower at the gym?
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm glad the partners smacked down the nerdy accountant..the show has the right mix of courtroom and other things going on without tooooo much focus on politics per se

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Wasn't it a member of the press who brought it up during the press call at the beginning of the show, seeking a preliminary response from the campaign before publishing the allegation?

The episode went on to infer that it was going to be published and that Peter and Alicia needed to determine how they were going to respond. They decided that Alicia would respond incredulously and with a laugh.

My take was that the comedy bit that Alicia was watching at the end was after the claim had gone public, making it fodder for the comedienne's routine, and that Alicia was laughing at it related to her earlier conversation with Cary that merely talking about breasts and penises is funny.
I agree with this take, it was mine as well.

I think Alicia is learning not to take herself so seriously this season, which is very refreshing. I was getting a little tired of everything about her being so dire and serious all the time.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i'm glad the partners smacked down the nerdy accountant..the show has the right mix of courtroom and other things going on without tooooo much focus on politics per se

Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
newsposter
Poster of News

after this year how many more offices can peter run for..they will have to find a different angle

!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
lew

Quote:
after this year how many more offices can peter run for..they will have to find a different angle
He could always lose and run for a different post (US Senator). He could win then run for President.

They could have a time "warp" between seasons.

More likely....I don't the show has more then a season (or season and half) after this one.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
newsposter
Poster of News

as long as suits keeps going i can do without this show

!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
He could always lose and run for a different post (US Senator). He could win then run for President.

They could have a time "warp" between seasons.

More likely....I don't the show has more then a season (or season and half) after this one.
Why would you say that?

It is one of the most popular shows on CBS. It consistantly ranks in the top 20-25 each week.

It isn't going anywhere, IMO...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

For me, the mystery of this episode was: how did Cary's father go from intimating that he was dying, to needing a favor from Cary?

I didn't think the words he used could have been taken any other way than "I'm dying".

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
njtaz

I've just started watching towards the end of last season after picking it up once in a while before that.

Can someone tell me what Zach Grenier / David Lee's role is - I believe it was this episode where the partners re-worked his contract so if the firm was sold he was out. Why was that a deal breaker for the law firm that wanted to take them over?
njtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
For me, the mystery of this episode was: how did Cary's father go from intimating that he was dying, to needing a favor from Cary?

I didn't think the words he used could have been taken any other way than "I'm dying".
i think that was to show us how he manipulated people so well and he knew what words the kid needed to hear

!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtaz View Post
I've just started watching towards the end of last season after picking it up once in a while before that.

Can someone tell me what Zach Grenier / David Lee's role is - I believe it was this episode where the partners re-worked his contract so if the firm was sold he was out. Why was that a deal breaker for the law firm that wanted to take them over?
David Lee is kind of a wild card at the firm. He had been a low equity junior partner if I recall, and became part of the power struggle to save the firm and keep Will from being voted out. He brings in a lot of money, so they didn't want to lose him, so they gave him a bigger stake in the firm.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News

love the poison pill too...he plays the villian well

!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I only catch The Good Wife in the background as I'm surfing, but I didn't take the Ricci bit at the end anywhere near how you guys are taking it. Here was my view...

The problem for Peter and Alicia was how to address the issue of the birthmark publicly. Peter can't come right out and say anything. Reluctantly, the awkward task falls to Alicia. So how do you deal that that?

I felt like Christina Ricci's character was very, very smart. She knew what was going on around her. As thanks for what Alicia and company did for her she goes on television and starts cracking jokes about her lawyer making jokes about the birthmark on her husband's member.

Boom! Problem solved for Alicia and she doesn't have to say a word. That, to me, was why she was laughing her ass off. Ricci saved Peter and Alicia the public embarrassment of having to address it personally and completely deflated the entire ruse put together by the other campaign. I thought it was brilliant writing.

Then again, I just caught bits and pieces so maybe I'm completely misinterpreting.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtaz View Post

David Lee runs estates and family law (divorce). One of the few profitable parts of the firm. Firm interested in buying them is big in that part of law. No interest without David Lee (and his clients who would likely follow Lee)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:

Quote:
i think that was to show us how he manipulated people so well and he knew what words the kid needed to hear
I got the manipulation part - that was obvious. But a smart manipulator would have chosen words so they could later say "no, I didn't mean that, I meant this."

The words he used could not have easily meant anything else but "I'm dying."

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
I got the manipulation part - that was obvious. But a smart manipulator would have chosen words so they could later say "no, I didn't mean that, I meant this."
no, i didnt mean that

!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #23
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Why would you say that?

It is one of the most popular shows on CBS. It consistantly ranks in the top 20-25 each week.

It isn't going anywhere, IMO...
It's not in the top 25 for the season. It's one of the least popular shows on CBS. It's consistently listed as one of the "bubble shows".

I agree the current ratings suggest the show should be back next season. I just don't think it's the show that will be around for another 5 years. I wouldn't worry about running out of elections.