TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
zubinh

Help ! Confused about MOCA Setup

Thanks guys for helping me with this. I'm going to be upgrading to a Premiere XL4 soon and I just want to make sure I have everything I need to set up a MOCA connection.

I have FiOS with the MI424WR Rev. F Router in my basement. The Tivo will be on an upper floor where an ethernet cable cannot extend. My question is, in order to set up a MOCA network, do I need to buy the ECB2200? It seems that both the router and the Tivo provide Moca support. Is that all I need?
Would the coax that goes into the Tivo go to the Moca jack only or do I need a splitter?

Also, does anyone know if the future Tivo IP-STBs will work on this Moca network or will it be wireless?

THANKS!

THANKS !!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

The Fios router has moca built-in, so all you need to do is connect the coax to the XL4... no additional setup. There is no separate moca jack, it's the same as the TV's input. No splitters, no ECB, no nothing.

From the photos we have seen, the IP STB will support moca as well.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-13-2012 at 12:46 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
zubinh

Thanks BigJim!! that certainly makes it easy. One more question. I saw this post by Dan 203 in another thread: "Also keep in mind that the MOCA bridge inside the Elite also bridges to it's ethernet port. So if you have any other devices in the same room as the Elite that need internet access you can attach them to the Elite's Ethernet port and they will be able to use it as a bridge to talk to your router."

So if I get an ethernet splitter and connect both my PS3 and Apple TV to the Tivo that means everything will have ethernet? That would be really nice!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I never tried mine connected to an Ethernet switch, but it certainly worked when I connected it to another Premiere.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

I haven't tried it either, but in theory it should work zubinh.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
philter25

Hey guys,

I was looking into the Stream and found it works with only wired or a moca setup. I live in a 3 story townhouse and wired ethernet is not possible, so Im trying to learn about Moca.

I have Fios and I have a Tivo Premiere and a Series 3 HD. Both are currently connected to my wifi network through the tivo N adapter. I have a few questions:

1) I read fios already has moca support, so do I just unplug the wireless network N adapters and the premiere is already setup? What do I need to do to set up a moca network? Is it like my wifi network where I have a password to access it?

2) Although I think I cant use the series 3 HD to stream, we transfer programs between the series 3 HD and the premiere currently via wifi and it takes forever. Can I transfer shows between the series 3 and premiere via moca? Im assuming then I would need a moca adapter for the series 3 HD?

3) I have an iPad and I want to take tivo shows with me to watch on airplanes and when on travel. I use TivoToGo and convert it. The TV shows download via my wifi and it takes forever to get a show in HD. How does the stream work with moca? Does it download the TV show directly to my iPad so I can watch it whenever I want?

Thanks for your help!
philter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
BigJimOutlaw

1. If your Premiere is a 2-tuner model, you'll need to get a moca adapter ($50 from Tivo's site). Since you already have Fios, this is pretty much all you're going to need. The Tivo will connect to Verizon's router as it currently does, only it'll be through moca instead of wireless. There's no additional setup or configuration. It should just work. If your Tivo is a 4-tuner model, you don't need the adapter. Moca is built into the 4-tuner boxes.

2. You're correct that the Series 3 can't stream. It's hard for us to quantify exactly how much the transfer speed would improve for you by connecting it to moca since Series 3 units can't transfer as fast as Premieres do, and things like local interference, distance, walls, floors, etc all factor in to wireless performance. But there should be a gain if you feel it's worth another $50. Any wired connection is better than a wireless one.

3. The Stream takes a program off the Premiere, converts it into a format the iDevice can read, and sends it directly to the iDevice. The bottleneck is the conversion process. It's not atypical for a 1 hour program to complete in about 30 minutes. If it helps, it's worth mentioning the Tivo app lets you queue up multiple programs at a time, so you don't have to babysit it for each individual transfer.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
mattack

This is vaguely relevant since he mentions he has a "S3 HD" (not sure if he means OLED S3 or Tivo HD, but it's not really pertinent).

Has anyone tried transferring programs to an iPad that were first transferred TO the Premiere from another device (or even from a computer)? E.g. would it even work with a program that was recorded off of analog on a S3/TivoHD then transferred? Mostly I wonder if it has very specific resolution/bandwidth limits, or will really work with ANY program that the Premiere can itself play (even if it didn't originate from the Premiere.)

It's vaguely analogous to the Tivo DVD machines not being able to burn shows to DVD that were transferred from another Tivo (even another TiVo DVD recorder -- which isn't quite as silly as it sounds, since you couldn't burn multi-session DVDs on them, so being able to deal with conflicts and/or marathons on multiple machines, then burn en masse on one would've been nice).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
So if I get an ethernet splitter and connect both my PS3 and Apple TV to the Tivo that means everything will have ethernet? That would be really nice!
Absolutely yes, that is what it was designed for. Technical nitpicking though, what you need is an "Ethernet Switch". 10/100 or Gigabit will work just fine, don't spend too much here, all switches are the same.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
philw1776

Does Comcast offer a router with MOCA built in?
Can I buy a router that replaces my Comcast that has MOCA?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
BigJimOutlaw

For normal cable TV connections, what you would do is connect a moca adapter to your existing router and cable modem. This will light up your house for moca:

Then you connect moca adapters too all the coax end-points where you want an internet connection to be. (Unless the device has built-in moca already, like 4-tuner Tivos do):