TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
shadowsarah

Insight Communications - Cablecard issues

Hi everyone! I've been a TIVO member for 4 years now with a TIVO HD. I just moved to an area that is serviced by Insight.

I was quoted a $65 bundle for internet and cable and this package included the $7 standard set top box in the pricing. I told them that I would be electing to use my own paid for equipment and would need an M-card. The woman told me I'd be charged an additional $1.99 for using an M-card.

From what I understand of the rules and what I have received with Comcast is that the company is allowed to charge me to rent an M-card, but if the package I am paying for includes the price of the set top box, and I elect to not take their equipment, I am to receive a discount that is no less than the price of renting a cable card.

I talked to multiple upper managements but they wouldnt hear it. It was clear nobody in the office had any idea about the regulations or billing of a cablecard. They kept telling me that the discount I kept referring to (from the FCC rules) was included since I was receiving the current promotional price that all customers are being offered for bundled service. So I was already receiving a discount...

So my options were to set up 1 TV with a M-card and elect to not receive the free set top box for 66.99 or set up 2 TVs (1 with a M-card and 1 with the set top box) for 66.99. Aka the same price. How is that right!?

This was an over 40 minute phone conversation with no resolution. They are the only service provider in the area so I chose to set up two tvs even though I currently only have 1 TV. They've made it so I have no option!

Im writing a complaint to the FCC. But I wanted to make sure that I understand my rights and the regulations correctly.

In the past I've received my cable card at no additional cost because my package already included a set top box and even at that Comcast gave me a monthly discount for using my own equipment. I know Comcast wasnt giving me discounts for fun!

It may be a small amount to rent the cablecard, but it is the fact of the matter that there are rules and regulations that they don't even know of or wont adhere to.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
shadowsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
TheWGP
Hmmm...

I actually was just quoted the same price by an Insight rep, and he similarly didn't know anything about this. He said that the first digital box was included in the $65 price, but that any cablecards (even the first) would be extra.

I indicated that I thought the first Cablecard was supposed to be free if you didn't get their box, and he said he didn't know anything about that.

Anyone else out there had any Insight experiences?
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
shadowsarah

Just to update and maybe help you. I filed a complaint with the FCC and that got Insight to actually listen to my complaint. FCC was on my side and helped me get things straight with Insight.

They issued a 3 dollar monthly credit to my account so that it covers the cable card rental price ($2), Ill take it. This solution is apparently only going to be for a year and after they will 're-evaluate.' I have no idea what that means.

Because they were going to still charge me for the SD box with my bundle I went ahead and took it. On the plus side they didnt make me return the SD cable box.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsarah View Post
They issued a 3 dollar monthly credit to my account so that it covers the cable card rental price ($2), Ill take it. This solution is apparently only going to be for a year and after they will 're-evaluate.' I have no idea what that means.
Unless they're going to stop bundling cable boxes with their package there's nothing to "re-evaluate". They have to give you a credit for the value of the cable box you're not using.

Good job. If more people would complain about these things instead of just giving up we'd all benefit.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
shadowsarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Unless they're going to stop bundling cable boxes with their package there's nothing to "re-evaluate". They have to give you a credit for the value of the cable box you're not using.

Good job. If more people would complain about these things instead of just giving up we'd all benefit.
Thanks! It was very frustrating. Many phone calls and my veins were boiling during most of them. But it was so rewarding getting that crisp official letter from the FCC.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Hrmmm, sounds like it's POSSIBLE but not EASY. That makes it a tough decision, because we're only paying $62.xx a month including tax for WOW right now, with 2 cablecards and 2/1 internet.

Insight looks to be $68 a month plus tax, assuming I get the credit for the first cablecard... but their internet speed is 15/1. Figure tax is probably $2.xx based on the WOW taxes, so we'd probably be at about $71 all in - figure that's 9 bucks a month to upgrade the internet speed, basically. Ugh, probably not worth the hassle of switching and dealing with filing an FCC complaint just to get a dang $3 a month credit.
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post
Hrmmm, sounds like it's POSSIBLE but not EASY. That makes it a tough decision, because we're only paying $62.xx a month including tax for WOW right now, with 2 cablecards and 2/1 internet.
WOW does offer an equipment credit if your bundle includes a cable box that you're not using. I'm getting $3.50 a month from them right now. I just had to point out the "Customer Equipment Discount" on their rate sheet to the CSR.

http://www.wowway.com/terms-and-cond...nt-rental-fees

I switched from Insight to WOW a while back and I wouldn't consider going back barring some drastic change. WOW service has been much better overall. The only down side is no NFL Network.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote