TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
billypritchard
Embiggener

I'm glad this is staying near the top of the TV Talk thread. Makes me happy just to see it there.

<--Ditched after watching crappy first season.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, technically she won an award for her skill in playing a morose, chain-smoking, negligent mother.
Uh, yeah. What you said. I really need to re-read what I write to make sure it says what I really meant to say.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #33
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I don't know if they promised that Rosie's killer would be revealed at the end of season 1. I just know that I expected them to since the vast majority of shows do. Plus, I was so sick of the depressing Larsen family and rainy, depressing Seattle that I desperately wanted a reboot for season 2. The Larsens were the worst tv family ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Possible, they are at least in the running for one of the worst. I find it interesting that Michelle Forbes won a supporting actress award for her portrayl of Mitch. Really? She won an award for being a morose, chain-smoking, negligent mother.

Stan almost killed that teacher, and of course, the teacher wasn't guilty.

Definitely a model family.
Okay, I have to ask- how did you expect them to act? The entire show was about the murder of a teenage girl and the effect it had on everyone, including her family. To me, the fact that we were sucked into their grief was one of the strong points of the show. When I hear people complain about the show or the Larsen family being too "depressing", I guess I just don't get it- that was the whole point.

I am one of (I guess) the minority that loved the show and had no problem with the resolution taking two seasons. I still just shake my head at the level of unbelievable outrage that many had over this show.
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #34
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I am one of (I guess) the minority that loved the show and had no problem with the resolution taking two seasons. I still just shake my head at the level of unbelievable outrage that many had over this show.
I'm on your side, dwells.

Although I marathoned through both seasons within a week, I didn't have a problem with the resolution taking two whole television seasons.

The timeline for the characters within the story only spanned about three months from discovery of Rosie's body, through all the red herrings, to the resolution. So that's actually a speedy investigation and resolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
The timeline for the characters within the story only spanned about three months from discovery of Rosie's body, through all the red herrings, to the resolution. So that's actually a speedy investigation and resolution.
You mean three weeks.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
You mean three weeks.
I stand corrected. Thanks!
I just recall that it was pretty quick -- within their timeline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I stand corrected. Thanks!
I just recall that it was pretty quick -- within their timeline.
Which is part of the problem...in OUR timeline (at least, those of us who watched it live), it was interminable...not a ton happening over a span of more than a year, and much of what DID happen not mattering.

It was a show that was structured like a mini-series, and broadcast over two seasons. The season break was especially egregious...I was completely lost in the early episodes of the second season, which picked up right where the first season had left off almost a year earlier.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
robojerk

Quote:
It was a show that was structured like a mini-series, and broadcast over two seasons.
I actually wonder why there isn't more mini series being made.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #39
brebeans

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Possible, they are at least in the running for one of the worst. I find it interesting that Michelle Forbes won a supporting actress award for her portrayl of Mitch. Really? She won an award for being a morose, chain-smoking, negligent mother.

Stan almost killed that teacher, and of course, the teacher wasn't guilty.

Definitely a model family.
WHO the family was ( your description of 'negligent", etc.) has nothing to do with the quality of the show, per se.

I loved the fact that this show was not all about a "who dunnit, cop show".
What made the show interesting to me was the fact that it showed that people ARE morose, depressed, angry and possibly, yes, negligent, when they find out their teenage daughter is missing and then dead! Too many other cop/detective shows don't really show the impact on the families and other characters related to a death, who aren't the cops. That's why I thought this show was good. It showed, as depressing as it can be, the potentially real impact on a family.....it tears the family apart.

I did get a bit tired of all the rain/gray skies, etc. And, yes, sometimes it moved too sllowly. But, in my opinion ( I know I'm in the minority, too), this wasn't just a show about who killed Rosie. It was a show about the ripple effect of a murdered child (made for TV, of course)....on the politician that happened to be connected, on the family, on the cops, etc.

I'm not saying it's the best show ever, or even in my top 20, but I did enjoy the character development and being brought in to others' lives who are impacted by this sort of thing.

Oh well.....just a TV show after all. Will now need to get back to Breaking Bad......(another upbeat show!!!
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
I loved the fact that this show was not all about a "who dunnit, cop show".
AMC's marketing campaign would argue with you. "Who killed Rosi Larsen?"
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #41
sburnside1

My wife will be sad. She loved this show.

We watched it all in about 2 weeks though, not as it aired. To all the people that skipped season 2, dont just watch the final episode. You need to watch at least the final 2, otherwise you miss a lot. I would actually watch all of season 2 for it to make more sense.

I liked the show as well. I thought season 3 may be about the case that drove Linden crazy the first time. A bit of evidence may come up that would fire that case back up. They built up enough back story for the case in the first 2 seasons.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
billypritchard
Embiggener

I imagine if one watched the two seasons in a short period, some of the frustrations of Season One would be mitigated. But I'd also think that the 'red herring of the week' format would be incredibly tiresome in a condensed format. So that might be a wash.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I imagine if one watched the two seasons in a short period, some of the frustrations of Season One would be mitigated. But I'd also think that the 'red herring of the week' format would be incredibly tiresome in a condensed format. So that might be a wash.
Not having seen season two, I can't comment on that, but I do believe that if I had watched it all in a relatively short period, knowing that there was going to be a resolution, it would not have resulted in any animosity. The, as you put it, 'red herring of the week' writing style would not have been a problem. That's typical of a lot of shows--except Columbo, he always knew who the killer was from the get-go. He merely had to annoy a confession out of who he knew to be the perp.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #44
WhiskeyTango

Looks like there is a chance The Killing will be UNcancelled.
Quote:
it’s looking like the crime drama might get back on the air thanks to a new agreement between producers Fox Television Studios, AMC and Netflix.

The second season solved the show’s central mystery of who killed Rosie Larson. According to Deadline, showrunner Veena Sud is still attached and pitched a third season premise that was well received. Stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman are still on board too. If a deal is struck, The Killing would first window on AMC and then move over to the streaming service.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #45
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Saw this on Twitter a little while ago. Such bizarre news. If you asked me to guess what canceled show might be resurrected through a deal with Netflix, of all the canceled shows that have devoted fan bases clamoring to have the show return, this would probably be among the last on my list. Was *anyone* clamoring for this show to come back? Would anyone be interested in watching a third season, especially if Veena Sud is still involved?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #46
dwells

I wasn't clamoring for it to return, but will be happy if it does- I will definitely watch a season 3 if it happens.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #47
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I would think they couldn't afford the two leads anyway. Joel Kinnaman is the next Robocop, and Mirelle Enos is Brad Pitt's wife in the World War Z movie. While they'd be available by the time they'd start Season 3, the $ they can demand has likely gone up.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #48
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Would anyone be interested in watching a third season, especially if Veena Sud is still involved?
No.
Zero.
None.
Nada.
Not. A. Chance. On. Earth.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #49
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I would think they couldn't afford the two leads anyway. Joel Kinnaman is the next Robocop, and Mirelle Enos is Brad Pitt's wife in the World War Z movie. While they'd be available by the time they'd start Season 3, the $ they can demand has likely gone up.

Greg
Don't know if it is accurate or not, but the article I read stated that both were already under contract for season 3, which was one of the big reasons for the revival.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #50
sburnside1

My wife would love if they did a 3rd season. I wouldnt mind it.

Sometimes I forget about all the anger against this show was about the story that went on forever. In my house first episode to last was like a 2 week time frame.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #51
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Would anyone be interested in watching a third season, especially if Veena Sud is still involved?
I would definitely watch. I thought it was a good show, even if that was not the general consensus here.

I watched both seasons over a couple of months though. If it comes back, I might watch it all over a short time span again.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #52
Family

I'd watch a third season as well. Still better than most shows and the male lead makes it worth watching.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #53
Hcour

Great news! I loved the second season and thought the show completely redeemed itself from the season one finale debacle. Hope the two lead actors also return.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I wasn't clamoring for it to return, but will be happy if it does- I will definitely watch a season 3 if it happens.
Me, too!
Would be interesting to see in what direction they go, but overall, it was better than a lot of "dramas" on TV and the characters were interesting.
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #55
heberman

I hope they bring it back also. I enjoyed the style a lot. Yes it was a slower pace - but that was part of it's charm. That and the rain.
heberman is offline   Reply With Quote