TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #4411
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Push transfers very little of the metadata and episodes of a series will not be grouped with episodes recorded on the destination TiVo. Strangely enough, maximum metadata transfer is a pull from a computer using pyTiVo and a text metadata file. So you have to transfer it w/create metadata file and decode options set then pull it to the other TiVo.
If I was going to do a pull from the tivo, I would just pull from the originating tivo rather than transfering to a pc first.

Really was looking for a way to initiate a MRV trasfer from the PC as a remote command. I am hoping moyekj finds a way to make this work at some point. That is, if the commands are even threre to send.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4412
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Really was looking for a way to initiate a MRV trasfer from the PC as a remote command. I am hoping moyekj finds a way to make this work at some point. That is, if the commands are even threre to send.
MRV is not using the RPC protocol (MRV has been around a long time as you know) and there is no way I know of to initiate MRV automatically from 1 TiVo to another. MRV is always started from the client TiVo so I doubt there's a way to initiate it from somewhere else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #4413
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If I was going to do a pull from the tivo, I would just pull from the originating tivo rather than transfering to a pc first.
I was responding to your expressed desire to retain as much of the metadata as possible. Unfortunately, even a Premiere to Premiere direct transfer leaves something to be desired although it is better than a push in that regard.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #4414
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Download the latest .zip and just unzip right over your current installation allowing overwrites. Configuration files are not part of the .zip so will remain unaffected. This is always the recommended way to upgrade since once in a while it's more than just the .jar file that gets updated.
OK, I reread the instructions and it does talk about unzipping over, but it ALSO says "or just replace the kmttg.jar file of the old installation with the one from the new installation.", which is what I've been doing so far..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #4415
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OK, I reread the instructions and it does talk about unzipping over, but it ALSO says "or just replace the kmttg.jar file of the old installation with the one from the new installation.", which is what I've been doing so far..
Where did you see that? For example the Windows installation Wiki says this:
"If upgrading from a previous Java kmttg installation you can normally unzip over the previous installation. That way you can preserve the kmttg configuration and avoid having to re-configure. NOTE: In some cases there are other files and folders aside from kmttg.jar updated as part of a release, so you should unzip the zip file over the top of your previous installation to make sure you overwrite all files that make up an installation. When unzipping instruct Windows to overwrite previous files. If you want to install to same location and make sure to get a clean new installation then remove everything except *.ini files. That way you get a full new installation but preserve all your previous settings."

If you can point me where you saw "just replace kmttg.jar" other than perhaps some older release notes I'd like to know so I can fix it.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #4416
mattack

The *Mac* information.
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/...x_installation

upgrade installation tips
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #4417
moyekj

OK, fixed Mac & Linux install notes.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #4418
javabird

I've been puzzled by those instruction--what does "unzip over the current installation" mean on a Mac? Can you explain the steps?

If you drag the zipped file into the Applications folder and then unzip it, it just installs a duplicate folder. If you drag the zipped file into the previous kmttg folder, then unzip it, it puts a duplicate file into the kmttg folder. So either way, you end up with duplicates instead of updating the current files.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #4419
moyekj

I don't know how the Mac works (never worked with one) or what different zip packages there are, but with Windows (various zip utils) and Linux command line "unzip" when you unzip you are prompted if it is OK to overwrite files at which point you say yes. i.e. The goal is to overwrite any files in the previous installation however you need to accomplish that. Perhaps on the Mac you need to unzip somewhere else and then copy and overwrite.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #4420
javabird

Quote:
I don't know how the Mac works (never worked with one) or what different zip packages there are, but with Windows (various zip utils) and Linux command line "unzip" when you unzip you are prompted if it is OK to overwrite files at which point you say yes. i.e. .
Those steps don't work on a Mac, unless I'm missing something.

Quote:
...Perhaps on the Mac you need to unzip somewhere else and then copy and overwrite.
That seems correct. The only hassle about that is that all the files show the same file date, so basically you have to overwrite every file and reconfigure the application again.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #4421
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
Those steps don't work on a Mac, unless I'm missing something.

That seems correct. The only hassle about that is that all the files show the same file date, so basically you have to overwrite every file and reconfigure the application again.
Maybe an easier approach is copy the *.ini files to somewhere else temporarily, then delete everything, unzip the new contents and finally move the *.ini files back. i.e. No overwriting in that case.
Another alternative is just unzip the new distro to a new folder and then copy the *.ini files from the previous installation and then remove the previous folder and rename new folder to what the previous one was called.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #4422
innocentfreak

Would it be possible to add the ability to modify season passes via search?

For example I realized a show wasn't recording, Deals from the Darkside, because the OAD doesn't flag the show as new. I found it easier to search for the show rather than search through all my season pass managers. With search then I can switch to the TiVo and modify a season pass.

Now I don't know what would happen if you tried to send a modify command if the show doesn't have a season pass. If it just returns a simple error, maybe have it them prompt to create a season pass?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #4423
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Would it be possible to add the ability to modify season passes via search?

For example I realized a show wasn't recording, Deals from the Darkside, because the OAD doesn't flag the show as new. I found it easier to search for the show rather than search through all my season pass managers. With search then I can switch to the TiVo and modify a season pass.

Now I don't know what would happen if you tried to send a modify command if the show doesn't have a season pass. If it just returns a simple error, maybe have it them prompt to create a season pass?
What I can do fairly easily and which will probably meet your needs is if you click on 'Season Pass' button for a show that already has a SP on the selected TiVo that kmttg will prompt to modify existing SP. (Currently if you click on that button and a SP for that show is found kmttg will issue a warning that SP already exists and does nothing). This would be the case for all tabs with 'Season Pass' button - Season Premieres, Search & Guide.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #4424
innocentfreak

Quote:
What I can do fairly easily and which will probably meet your needs is if you click on 'Season Pass' button for a show that already has a SP on the selected TiVo that kmttg will prompt to modify existing SP. (Currently if you click on that button and a SP for that show is found kmttg will issue a warning that SP already exists and does nothing). This would be the case for all tabs with 'Season Pass' button - Season Premieres, Search & Guide.
Yeah that sounds like it would work.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #4425
innocentfreak

One other somewhat related question, would it be possible to add the original air date to the search results window? I don't know if TiVo spits out that info when you search or not.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #4426
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
One other somewhat related question, would it be possible to add the original air date to the search results window? I don't know if TiVo spits out that info when you search or not.
It's not reliably available for every recording, and in some cases just plain bogus/wrong, but I can spit it out to message window if available along with the other info already printed when you click on a show in the table.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #4427
innocentfreak

Quote:
It's not reliably available for every recording, and in some cases just plain bogus/wrong, but I can spit it out to message window if available along with the other info already printed when you click on a show in the table.
That would probably work. I am just trying to think of ways to catch shows that won't record with new only as stations pick up more shows from overseas.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #4428
lrhorer

Quote:
I would like to lobby, once again, for this feature to be available from the Main TiVo tabs. Perhaps we could have it work by highlighting the line with the mouse and then pressing a key like, say <Insert>? Or perhaps a right mouse click? I understand perfectly well not wanting to pull the full metadata for every show in the listing. Doing so is one reason why TiVoDesktop is so slow, but doing so on a command basis seems very reasonable, to me.

I would like to be able to employ this feature on all my TiVos, not just the Premiere, and it would make deciding whether to transfer a particular show or delete it much faster and easier.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #4429
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I would like to lobby, once again, for this feature to be available from the Main TiVo tabs. Perhaps we could have it work by highlighting the line with the mouse and then pressing a key like, say <Insert>? Or perhaps a right mouse click? I understand perfectly well not wanting to pull the full metadata for every show in the listing. Doing so is one reason why TiVoDesktop is so slow, but doing so on a command basis seems very reasonable, to me.

I would like to be able to employ this feature on all my TiVos, not just the Premiere, and it would make deciding whether to transfer a particular show or delete it much faster and easier.
I'll look into having right mouse button click trigger extended metadata retrieval for a show and then for entries for which metadata has been triggered to show the data perhaps as a tooltip when you hover over the row for that show. What I objected to before was automatically grabbing metadata for all shows. An on demand model sounds more reasonable.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #4430
elprice7345

Two feature requests

1. Can you add the ability to change the save time for a recording?

2. Can you add the ability to create/modify wish lists?

Just asking ...

Thanks for a great application moyekj!!!

Ed
elprice7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #4431
moyekj

Quote:
I'll look into having right mouse button click trigger extended metadata retrieval for a show and then for entries for which metadata has been triggered to show the data perhaps as a tooltip when you hover over the row for that show. What I objected to before was automatically grabbing metadata for all shows. An on demand model sounds more reasonable.
Tooltip idea was not good as tooltips in table are pretty awkward. What I've done though is if you right click on a show then extended metadata is retrieved if not previously already retrieved. Then originalAirDate is included in the message window show info dump if available. (Will be part of next release).

Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #4432
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprice7345 View Post
1. Can you add the ability to change the save time for a recording?

2. Can you add the ability to create/modify wish lists?
1. Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about "Keep until..."? It's not possible via RPC if so.
2. It's not possible through RPC AFAIK. I don't think the iOS/Android apps can do it for example. Looking into 2 a little more I did find a way but only to create an auto-record wishlist and I'm not sure about advanced wishlists with boolean logic. I'll have to play with it some more to see exactly what's possible.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #4433
lrhorer

Quote:
That would be great. And many thanks!

Just for the record, I did request an on-demand model before, once I learned the OAD was not part of the data returned by the xml request, although admittedly not as concisely as in my post above.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #4434
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I had a problem with KMTTG and push recently and it kept giving me "Internal Server Error". I rebooted the Tivo and it was still giving me that error. I found out what was the problem, I previously renamed my Tivo from "Tivo HD" to just "HD." KMTTG was still pushing to "Tivo HD", so I went to config and changed the Push destination to "HD" and PUSH is working again.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #4435
elprice7345

Quote:
1. Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about "Keep until..."? It's not possible via RPC if so.
That is what I meant. It was worth asking.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #4436
moyekj

Quote:
2. It's not possible through RPC AFAIK. I don't think the iOS/Android apps can do it for example. Looking into 2 a little more I did find a way but only to create an auto-record wishlist and I'm not sure about advanced wishlists with boolean logic. I'll have to play with it some more to see exactly what's possible.
@elprice7345, after looking into it more last night there are some limitations:
1. Via RPC only Wishlists that are set to record automatically (i.e. ARWL) are visible. i.e. You can't see or edit wishlists that are not ARWL.
2. Via RPC you can schedule new Wishlists (I think even with more complex boolean logic), but they must be scheduled as ARWL. It's possible to create the ARWL and then "delete" it to make it a Wishlist that won't auto-record (see 3 below).
3. When you "delete" an ARWL via RPC it doesn't actually delete the Wishlist, simply stops it from auto-recording.

i.e. Would probably be a source of confusion to some users who probably would expect full access to all Wishlists to be able to edit and/or delete them, not just ability to create new ones.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #4437
elprice7345

Quote:
Via RPC only Wishlists that are set to record automatically (i.e. ARWL) are visible. i.e. You can't see or edit wishlists that are not ARWL.
That works fine for my process, because all my wishlists are set to automatically record. I can see the ARWL in the Season Pass Manager in kmttg, but I can't edit it. Any editing functionality you add is a plus for me!

Quote:
2. Via RPC you can schedule new Wishlists (I think even with more complex Boolean logic), but they must be scheduled as ARWL. It's possible to create the ARWL and then "delete" it to make it a Wishlist that won't auto-record (see 3 below).
3. When you "delete" an ARWL via RPC it doesn't actually delete the Wishlist, simply stops it from auto-recording.
Currently, when I delete an ARWL from the Season Pass list in kmttg, it deletes the ARWL from the Season Pass list, deletes the autorecord portion and just makes it a "plain" non-recording WL. One of the reasons for my request is to be able to completely delete the WL from the TiVo. My "work-around" for that is deleting the WL using the TiVo remote. If RPC doesn't allow completely deleting an ARWL, I'll continue with my work-around.

I would also like to be able to create WLs using keywords (excludes, includes, and optional) similar to the way I currently create them directly on the TiVo.

If the WL functionality can be integrated with the RPC search functionality, that would be awesome! For example: I search for the Discovery Channel show "Curiosity". Discovery chooses to run the program on multiple channels. I don't care what channel I record it from, just that it gets recorded. If I create a Season Pass, it only records on one channel. If I could search for "Curiosity" and create a WL directly from the search results, it would save me a few steps.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #4438
clark_kent

Elgato Turbo.264HD and kmtt

Hello all,

I recently got an Elgato Turbo.264HD and I just started playing with kmttg. According to Elgato, the Turbo.264 can be used by "other applications" but I'm at a loss. I don't know if kmttg would need to be modified or if somehow kmttg just needs to be made "aware" of the existence of the Turbo.264 in some preference file or something? I'm on a Mac with 10.6.8 with QuickTime Pro (w/Perian). I would appreciate any thoughts on how I can get the Turbo.264 in the loop to cut down on encoding time. Not sure if it's helpful, but her are a some of Elgato links:

http://support.elgato.com/index.php?...englishdefault

http://support.elgato.com/index.php?...pcid=1&nav=0,1

http://support.elgato.com/index.php?...englishdefault

I also played with some kmtt Encoding Profiles. Using ff_h264_high_rate and ff_h264_med-rate produces files that played on VLC, but QuickTimePro gave the following error message:

"The movie could not be opened. An invalid sample description was found in the movie."

Any thoughts on this error message?

Encoding with hb_appletv2 produced a QuickTime playable file but the audio was way out of sync using the current/standard/default QuickTime while the audio sync with QuickTimePro was much better. Is this normal?

Then I thought I'd try HandBrake. I pointed HandBrake input Source to the ~.TiVo file from kmttg and selected MP4 file format. The output files from HadBrake played fine with QuickTime. But the file size looked to be the same size no matter if Large File or Web Optimized was checked. Is that normal?

Thank you.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #4439
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
I also played with some kmtt Encoding Profiles. Using ff_h264_high_rate and ff_h264_med-rate produces files that played on VLC, but QuickTimePro gave the following error message:

"The movie could not be opened. An invalid sample description was found in the movie."

Any thoughts on this error message?

try changing to m4v

Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
mpeg4 container, 8Mbps same res h.264 video, copy audio (ac3)

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, HANDBRAKE, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD, CPU_CORES, SRTFILE
<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec libx264 -coder 0 -level 41 -sameq -subq 6 -me_range 16 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -g 300 -bufsize 14745k -b 8000k -maxrate 16000k -bug "+autodetect+ms" -me_method epzs -trellis 2 -mbd 1 -acodec copy -f m4v OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
m4v

cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #4440
moyekj

Quicktime most likely can't handle ac3 audio with H.264 video. VLC handles it just fine. If you want to play back using Quicktime you will need to use a profile with aac audio.