TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #1801
milo99

and everything went through with no hitches this morning.. put the 1Tb drive in the premiere, booted up, and all is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
One should always keep a dedicated TiVo wrangling computer handy.
seriously... although in due time, we may see another version of WinMFS that does this within a Windows boot and works with newer bioses, who knows.

Not that Comer's tool isn't fantastic - it is. But i'm guessing some others won't have an older pc sitting around so they won't be able to take advantage of it.

in any case, thanks to Comer for the tool! ...man, i love this forum. it really is what the internet community is all about (in my eyes anyway).

Last edited by milo99 : 11-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.
milo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #1802
joesebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I don't have a Premiere, but I have been screwing around with a virgin Series 2 drive and Windows 7 VHD files. Since they are inherently "sparse" files and most of a factory drive is all zeros I was able to create an 80GB virtual drive and connect it to a VMWare machine. Booting it with JMFS and running ddrescue resulted in a 1.7GB VHD file and zip took that down to about 1GB. Reversing the process gave me a bootable drive.

If anyone out there has a virgin Premiere drive and Windows 7, I wrote a program called TiVo2VHD that will create a virtual image of any drive (Disk2vhd from Microsoft only works with MS partitioned drives). If you want to try it send me a PM.

If it works, even a several GB "factory" image might be manageable and I could write the restore code and wrap it up into something like WinMFS that wouldn't depend on virtual machines. I would also want to process the VHD file manually instead of depending on Windows 7 APIs so that it would work on XP and handle bad sectors like ddrescue.

Any takers?
I would like to try the virtual image tool TIVO2VHD as I would like to backup my virgin S4 drive. I cannot PM you as I have less than 10 posts.

Thanks
Joe
joesebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #1803
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesebastian View Post
I would like to try the virtual image tool TIVO2VHD as I would like to backup my virgin S4 drive. I cannot PM you as I have less than 10 posts.

Thanks
Joe
A quick argument with some of the guys here should fix that in no time.

I'll even start the argument. It's actually supposed to be "fewer than", not "less than".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #1804
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesebastian View Post

Thanks
Joe
PM sent.

Sorry it took so long to answer. I have spent the last few days re-writing it to use its own VHD code so that it would run on XP as well as Windows 7. I had to work this morning and it took me a while to finish and test both programs this afternoon.

The Windows 7 versions have proven successful at backing up a virgin TCD746320 drive to a reasonably sized image (about 3.5GB before zip) and restoring it to a new drive. THANKS retiredqwest! I have only run each of the new versions once, so let me know if there are any problems.

There are 2 programs - TiVo2VHD and VHD2TiVo. Right now both of them are command-line programs without a UI. The command-line parameters are as follows...

TiVo2VHD or VHD2TiVo without any options lists the drives connected to your computer. On my PC it spits out

\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0=1862.94GB MARVELL Raid VD 0 SCSI Disk Device (S/N:15e0000015e00010)
\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1=3725.88GB MARVELL Raid VD 1 SCSI Disk Device (S/N:5a3000005a301050)
\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2=74.53GB WDC WD80 0BB-55JKC0 USB Device (S/N:▼)

The ancient drive I'm testing with is the 80GB WD, so to back it up I would take the drive number from "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2" and enter

TiVo2VHD 2 C:\Test.vhd

and to restore it I would enter

VHD2TiVo C:\Test.vhd 2

The "2" is the physical drive number. Disk Manager will see it the same, but it tries to initialize any drive that doesn't already have a Windows signature. I figured that it was safer to be able to list the drives without going into Disk Manager at all.

The "C:\Test.vhd" is the path to the file you want to use. It can be anything you like as long as it's a valid file path.

If it works out, get your post count up and we'll figure out a way to get a copy of your image to me. I'm hoping to get a clean image of every Premiere model and set up an FTP site with all of them.

P.S. Be DANG careful with VHD2TiVo. Run it without any parameters to get the list of drives and don't make any typos when you run it for real. It will happily wipe your computer if you give it the wrong drive number.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #1805
joesebastian

@ggieseke - Thanks for the PM and instructions in your post.
joesebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #1806
blackduck08

Please help

Please help. I installed jmfs on a CD-rom (with nero image), and when I try to load, I see the first two lines (for example, ......) then afterwards the screen goes black.

So the program does not want to load.

I am trying to copy my failing 320 GB drive to my new WD 2GB drive.

Please help.
blackduck08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #1807
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackduck08 View Post
Please help. I installed jmfs on a CD-rom (with nero image), and when I try to load, I see the first two lines (for example, ......) then afterwards the screen goes black.

So the program does not want to load.

I am trying to copy my failing 320 GB drive to my new WD 2GB drive.

Please help.

Perhaps just a bad download or bad burn.

What kind of PC are you using and how old?

(might need to change something in the BIOS IDE settings)

Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #1808
blackduck08

Actually its a fairly new computer. The motherboard and comp is one year old. Also i downloaded program twice and did the iso image burn twice. Since I was running ssd, I did go to the bios to change mode back to IDE. It should be noted that when the screen does go black I see the DVD-rom lights blinking for a while longer and keyboard lights are on. One last note, I got the tivo green screen of death which is why I am trying to hopefully copy image to new 2gb drive.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #1809
milo99

Quote:
Actually its a fairly new computer. The motherboard and comp is one year old. Also i downloaded program twice and did the iso image burn twice. Since I was running ssd, I did go to the bios to change mode back to IDE. It should be noted that when the screen does go black I see the DVD-rom lights blinking for a while longer and keyboard lights are on. One last note, I got the tivo green screen of death which is why I am trying to hopefully copy image to new 2gb drive.
sounds very similar to the problem i had (about a dozen posts before you), and my computer is also less than a year old. i couldn't get it to work, but it did work on my old computer just fine, so i stopped trying to figure out. if you can get your hands on a pc that's a few years old, that might work out better for you.

Has Comer checked in to this thread recently? i wonder if he'd have any insight as to what's going on with newer computers/motherboards...
milo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #1810
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
sounds very similar to the problem i had (about a dozen posts before you), and my computer is also less than a year old. i couldn't get it to work, but it did work on my old computer just fine, so i stopped trying to figure out. if you can get your hands on a pc that's a few years old, that might work out better for you.

Has Comer checked in to this thread recently? i wonder if he'd have any insight as to what's going on with newer computers/motherboards...
I keep an old P4 HP computer in the cellar to do all my TiVo coping on, works great and I don't have to tie up my working computer.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #1811
unitron

Computers are like cars, you always need to keep an old one working so you can use it to fix the new one.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #1812
blackduck08

Ok. The got it to run on another computer but the problem is the program doesnt detect a tivo drive and i cant continue..but the bios sees the drive. I have a lifetime on the tivo. What are my options? Is it hopeless?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #1813
lessd

Quote:
Ok. The got it to run on another computer but the problem is the program doesnt detect a tivo drive and i cant continue..but the bios sees the drive. I have a lifetime on the tivo. What are my options? Is it hopeless?
If your TiVo drive in NG you will have to purchase a drive off E-Bay or other venders.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #1814
blackduck08

If I do that do I lose my lifetime service?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #1815
unitron

Quote:
Type

x

(for exit) and press the Enter key to get to the command line.

Then type and enter

fdisk -l

(that's a lowercase L)

and hit the Enter key.

That should list all of the hard drives (TiVo or not) detected by the OS loaded into memory by the jmfs cd when it booted.

You should have a

/dev/sda

and a

/dev/sdb

at least, and if the PC's regular hard drive (the one with Windows or whatever on it) is attached then a

/dev/sdc

as well, and maybe some sort of listing for the cd or dvd drive you have the jmfs cd in.

You should be able to tell by the size reported which drive is assigned which letter.

/dev

stands for device

In the old days

/hd*

would mean "hard drive", by which they meant the older type now retronymed as PATA, and also called IDE, the type with the 40 pin header for the data cable and the big 4 pin power connector.

Back then

/sd*

meant SCSI drive, but since one of the "S"es stands for serial, I guess Serial-ATA drives, commonly known as SATA, get detected and labeled the same.

In Unix/Linux, everything's a file, so all of the devices (drives, cd drives, flash drives, floppy drives, etc)are in the device folder,

/dev

so a drive is a file named

/s (or h) d *,

where * is a letter from a to z

(partitions on a drive, which DOS/Windows would see as separate drives --C: drive, D: drive, etc.--would be given a number, so /dev/sda1 would be the first partion on the first of the serially connected drives, but that's for drives with a DOS type partition table and not the modified Apple Partition Map used on TiVo drives. fdisk doesn't speak Apple.)

You need to make sure that jmfs is seeing all of the drives attached to the motherboard.

If you need to see something that went by too fast, hold down the shift key and use page up and page down to navigate.

And at the command line you can type

reboot

or

poweroff

to get out of it.

(It's not recommended to just flip the power switch on a Unix/Linux machine the way you could on an old DOS machine)

To answer your other question, TiVo, Inc. has a database of TiVo Service Numbers.

You can see what yours is by looking at the sticker on the back, but it's actually stored in a chip on the motherboard.

It's also recorded on the hard drive, but the one that counts is the one on the motherboard.

When the TiVo connects to the TiVo, Inc. servers, it sends in that number and the servers find it in the database and say "you aren't subscribed", or "your subscription payments are current and you're good until date so and so" or "you have Product Lifetime Service".

So as long as the motherboard is okay, your lifetime sub is okay.

Go ahead and go to mfslive.org and download the MFS Live cd v1.4 .iso file image and burn yourself a copy just in case we need something on it, but don't aim it at the TiVo drive unless I say so.

And tell us what part of the country in which you live, you might have to borrow someone's Premiere drive to "Xerox".

Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1816
L David Matheny

Quote:
If I do that do I lose my lifetime service?
No, the lifetime service is tied to a chip on the motherboard. But if you replace the drive (with another one for exactly the same model TiVo) you will lose all your recordings since you'll have to do a Clear & Delete Everything.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #1817
blackduck08

I am tried of going to my friend's house so I can use the boot up version. Can I use the windows version of mfslive and try to copy image to my computer then to the new drive?

Maybe this will work this way?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #1818
mattack

Is 2T still the maximum size? 4 TB drives are now becoming reasonably priced. I think I'll just get an external drive and manually copy shows off… but eventually upgrading the internal drive will be tempting. (Premiere 4…)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #1819
blackduck08

Could someone help?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #1820
blackduck08

Please?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #1821
ggieseke

Quote:
Could someone help?
What model number is it (the TiVo)?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #1822
unitron

Quote:
I am tried of going to my friend's house so I can use the boot up version. Can I use the windows version of mfslive and try to copy image to my computer then to the new drive?

With a Premiere drive?

NO NO NO NO NO NO

WinMFS and the MFS Live cd are for use on Series 1 through Series 3 TiVos.

When they designed the Series 4 TiVos (the Premiere and the stuff that followed), they changed some stuff about the partitions and the file system (and of course didn't publish any documentation about it), so there are very few safe ways to do anything with a Premiere drive so far.

You can use the Unix/Linux command line utility

dd

or one of the two enhanced versions of it

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

(that last being the one that comer uses on the jmfs cd for the copying part)

to "Xerox" a Premiere drive to another drive as big or bigger.

And that's it.

Except for what comer's jmfs cd does to re-write the partition map of the copy of the original drive.

People have screwed up their Premiere drive in ways that still haven't been diagnosed, much less repaired, just by trying to look at a Premiere drive with WinMFS. It was probably Windows that caused the damage and not WinMFS itself, but since we don't know what the damage is exactly, we can' be sure.

What we do know is they couldn't boot their Premieres anymore.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #1823
unitron

Quote:

READ MY OTHER ANSWER FIRST!!!

It's the other one where I start out yelling to try to keep you from screwing up your Premiere drive.

Do this:

Go to mfslive.org

Download the .iso image file for the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn yourself a copy as an image.

See if that will boot to the command line in your computer.

Report back.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #1824
blackduck08

I connected both drives but the system only sees the USB.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #1825
blackduck08

Would someone mind to talk to me over the phone?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #1826
blackduck08

Thank so for everyone help..standing by
Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #1827
blackduck08

With Linux the fdisk l only recognizes the USB but bios sees all the drives. They are connected by Sata. Why doesn't Linux recognize my hard drive?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #1828
unitron

Quote:
With Linux the fdisk l only recognizes the USB but bios sees all the drives. They are connected by Sata. Why doesn't Linux recognize my hard drive?
Did you start off with a working Premiere and want to install a bigger drive?

Or were you starting to have problems before you ever burned a copy of jmfs?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #1829
blackduck08

no. my tivo hard drive started to fail (green screen of death). so now I have a 2TB hard drive that i bought which I want to clone from my tivo hard drive.

i can boot with jmfs with only usb bootable drive. fdisk -l only sees the usb bootable.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #1830
lessd

Quote:
no. my tivo hard drive started to fail (green screen of death). so now I have a 2TB hard drive that i bought which I want to clone from my tivo hard drive.

i can boot with jmfs with only usb bootable drive. fdisk -l only sees the usb bootable.
If your TiVo Hard drive is bad jmfs may not see it and/or the copy may also turn out bad, you need a working TP hard drive to make a copy to the 2Tb drive you have using jmfs. If you boot up jmfs without any extra drives connected to your computer (except what inside the computer) jmfs should say after booting no TiVo drives found, if it does that jmfs is working as it should, if the problems you are seeing after connecting your TiVo drive happen (using jmfs) your TP drive is ng.