TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #9091
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaps View Post
In instruction 28, is that a complete list of historical supported drives? If not, can anyone put together a complete historical list? Some of us have older hard drives that haven't been used a whole lot so it would be nice to have a complete list. For example, I bought a couple of extra Seagate drives when I bought my Qnap NAS. The drives have never been used. I would like to install a 2TB drive in my Tivo HD XL. The drive is going, going, gone...Also I saved my original hard drive for my Tivo HD. Can that software be used on an XL? If not, I want to get the XL software off while I can rather than pay the money for the software.
While the THD s/w probably will work in a THD XL, you should take the HD XL drive out, connect it to a PC, and make a truncated backup. You do not need the new drive to do that.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #9092
unitron

Quote:
In instruction 28, is that a complete list of historical supported drives? If not, can anyone put together a complete historical list? Some of us have older hard drives that haven't been used a whole lot so it would be nice to have a complete list. For example, I bought a couple of extra Seagate drives when I bought my Qnap NAS. The drives have never been used. I would like to install a 2TB drive in my Tivo HD XL. The drive is going, going, gone...Also I saved my original hard drive for my Tivo HD. Can that software be used on an XL? If not, I want to get the XL software off while I can rather than pay the money for the software.

I have an old 2TB Barracuda drive. I also have a Constellation drive.

Thanks everyone.
Somewhere in the "Need an image, don't PM me" thread I've got a link to a TCD658000 image.

As for a complete list of drives, there is, of course, no "official" list.

It's all been trial and error.

What are the model numbers of the drives you have?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #9093
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lussie View Post
I have just upgraded my old Tivo S3 (one with the OLED Display) to 2TB from an already upgraded 1TB Drive.

I didn't lose any shows either.

So far it seems to be working. I'll give it 2 weeks to see if it is ok.

Anyway, I did this using Windows 7, on my laptop with a Startech USB 3.0 Dual 2.5/3.5in SATA Hard Drive Docking Station. (from Amazon: SATDOCK22U3S)

Also I used a non-AF drive: Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (from Amazon: 0S02861)

I used the following software:
  • winmfs (beta build 9.3f)
  • iBored (1.1.10)

STEP 1

Start winmfs by right-clicking "Run as Administrator"
Go to Tools->MFSCopy

I Un-checked "Custom Linux Swap Size"
However I DID CHECK "No Optimized Partition Layout"

Click "Start" to start the copy. It took 5-6 hours for the copy to complete.
(Yay! USB 3.0)

After the copy finishes, You will see a dialog that says "You have extra capacity on your Hard drive. Do you want to expand?"

CLICK NO

Select the "View" Menu item and click "MFSInfo"

Note that there are 16 partitions with the last one listed as "Apple_Free"
We need to delete that last partition in Step 2.

Exit Winmfs and EJECT YOUR TIVO SOURCE DRIVE

STEP 2

Start iBored by right-clicking "Run as Administrator"

Select your "newly copied" tivo drive

iBored should start out on Block"0"

Go to block 16 (Either type "16" in the upper left text-panel or press CTRL-RightArrow 16 times)

in Block 16, click the "Template" tab

Make sure that "Apple Partition Map:AMP Entry" is selected in the combo box on the right. If it is not selected, make sure you select it (it's the first one)

In the Menu, Click "BlockView" -> "Make Writable"

We are now going to erase block 16!

Click the "Disk" Menu item and Select "Erase Blocks"

You will see a Specify Block Range Dialog
Mine had the Following:
  • Block Size: 512 (because I used a non-AF drive)
  • Start Block: 16 (The block we are on)
  • Block Count: [SOME HUGE NUMBER]

Change Block Count to "1"

Click OK

You will see a "Really Erase?" dialog. Click "Erase"
(NOTE: If you see a "write failed: writing is not enabled" dialog, then it means that you need to select BlockView->Make Writable)

BLOCK 16 should now be clear.

Now, move to block 15. (CTRL-LeftArrow)
Note that "blocks in partition map" is "16"
We need to change this value to "15" in blocks 1-15.

Lets do this by moving backwards.

For each block 15 to 1 do the following:
  • BlockView->Make Writable
  • Change "blocks in partition map" to 15
  • BlockView->Save Changes
  • CTRL-LeftArrow (to go to previous block)

ok. So now you are at block 1. Just to make sure that you changed all the entries, verify that "blocks in partition map" is "15" for blocks 1-15.

Exit iBored

STEP 3

Start WinMFS again (Right-Click "Run as Administrator")

Select Tools->MFSadd

You will get a warning about Tivo not handling partitions greater than 1 TB, but just ignore it (hopefully, you have Tivo Software version 11.0 on your tivo)

Edited for SuperSize (Sorry I forgot that in the original post)

In Winmfs, click on Tools->MFSSuperSize->On

That's it.

You now have a Tivo S3 with a 2TB Drive giving you 318 HD hours or 2777 SD hours.

Cheers,
-Kevin

P.S.
I also upgraded my Tivo HD from an already upgraded 1 TB to 2 TB Drive (same Hitachi as listed above) using a similar method but replacing Step 3 with using JMFS to expand it, but WinMFS to supersize. (Also didn't lose any shows and has been running for about 1 month now.)
I've been re-reading this post in order to try to help explain to someone else how to put a 2TB in a TCD648250.

I'm puzzled.

If you started, back when, with the original 250GB drive, it had 13 partitions on it, 1. the partition map, 2, 3, and 4. the primary "boot trio", 5, 6, and 7. the alternate boot trio, 8. the swap partition, 9. var, and then 2 MFS pairs, 10 and 11, and 12 and 13.

Using MFS Live or WinMFS to copy it to the 1TB and expand would have resulted in a third MFS pair being added, 14 and 15, because that's how they expand, by adding MFS pairs.

If there was any space left at the end, it would have been called an Apple Free partition, and would have been partition 16.

It's been my experience that MFS Live will leave a little space going onto a 1tb drive, but WinMFS will use it all up when it creates partitions 14 and 15.

Copying that to a 2TB and telling it not to expand would either have left you with the original small partition 16 and the rest of the space ignored, or would have left you with an Apple Free partition of about 1TB in size.

If you hadn't already hit the 3 MFS pair limit per TiVo drive, then either program should be able to rewrite the partition map to convert what would be Apple Free partition 14 into MFS partitions 14 and 15.

But if you already expanded into the rest of that 1TB after copying the 250 to it, you should already have that 3rd and final MFS pair added.

Unless WinMFS can, when asked to expand via mfsadd, expand that 15th partition, leaving it starting at the same place but ending many GB further than before.

In which case, I don't think deleting the 16th Apple Free partition manually would be necessary.

I just replaced a WD20EADS in my S3 HD with a WD20EURS, so I have a 2TB to play with temporarily, so I'll try to do some experimenting.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #9094
dbaps

Specific Drive Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Somewhere in the "Need an image, don't PM me" thread I've got a link to a TCD658000 image.

As for a complete list of drives, there is, of course, no "official" list.

It's all been trial and error.

What are the model numbers of the drives you have?

I have two Seagate Barracuda XT 32000641AS unused.
dbaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #9095
unitron

Quote:
I have two Seagate Barracuda XT 32000641AS unused.
Google returns almost nothing about that model number, but apparently it's a 1.5 or 3 Gb/s non-advanced format, so it's worth giving a try after you run Seagate's long diagnostic on it to make sure it's good.

Burn yourself a copy of the latest Ultimate Boot CD, it's got most all of the drive makers' diagnostic programs on it.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #9096
edtude

Newegg has these drives on sale for $99......

Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA

I have installed this successfully in my Series 3
edtude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #9097
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtude View Post

Sale ends 11:59pm PT on 10/02/2012!

Free shipping

3 year warranty.

Don't forget to run wdidle3 on it.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #9098
mrelectron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
In which case, I don't think deleting the 16th Apple Free partition manually would be necessary.
@unitron, I just sent you an email regarding this.

Carl
mrelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #9099
dbaps

So the stuff I was reading on this site about how WD adjusts RPM's with Intellipower and it not being good for a series 3 is wrong? I guess so since you are recommending them for purchase? The only drive I've replaced on a Tivo was 2-3 years ago with one of the Enterprise 5 year warranty drives. I forget the model number now. They were specifically suggested for DVR's. With all of the changes in company mergers, worse warranties and so forth, I guess the playing field has changed? I'm just surprised that a higher end drive is not being suggested here?

Something like this isn't a better choice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136792

The red nas 2tb drives are on sale for $119.99. $60 off...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20drives%202tb

Thanks...

Last edited by dbaps : 10-01-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #9100
unitron

Quote:
So the stuff I was reading on this site about how WD adjusts RPM's with Intellipower and it not being good for a series 3 is wrong? I guess so since you are recommending them for purchase? The only drive I've replaced on a Tivo was 2-3 years ago with one of the Enterprise 5 year warranty drives. I forget the model number now. They were specifically suggested for DVR's. With all of the changes in company mergers, worse warranties and so forth, I guess the playing field has changed? I'm just surprised that a higher end drive is not being suggested here?

Something like this isn't a better choice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136792

Thanks...
Intellipower is not the same thing as Intellipark.

Intellipark is what screws up a soft reboot of a TiVo.

TiVo's don't need superfast drives.

If that were the older version of that Caviar Black, operating at 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s, and non-advanced format, I'd say it'd work fine in a TiVo (but recommend installing an extra fan to cool it), but that it'd be overkill.

I haven't seen many, if any, mentions of AF 6Gb/s drives working in TiVos.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #9101
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up, two on the way!
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #9102
unitron

Quote:

Amazon's unofficially pricematching, don't know for how long.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...words=wd20eurs

Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #9103
juddev

I bought one too, hope I can make it work in my S3 Oled.
juddev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #9104
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddev View Post
I bought one too, hope I can make it work in my S3 Oled.
The drive itself should work, the trick is figuring out how to use all of it, which I'm still working on, but not having an actual 648 to test stuff on isn't helping.

You could try using WinMFS to copy from the original 250GB drive, and then go back and tell it to expand and when it asks if you want to limit partition size, say no, and try that in the TiVo for a few days to see how it behaves.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #9105
andyw715

Question about upgrading a TCD652160 to 2TB

Is it worthwhile ordering another WD20EURS as a spare? Since the go to drive (eads) non af isn't around anymore. This one seems to be the next best thing. How long will it remain in production? will the next version even work (who knows?)

Prior to install in the tivo, i'll off load whatever programming I need to my computer.

1) Is it best to set it up as new, and then re-pair the cable card/download to SPs from tivo.com
OR
2) divorce my external from the orginal 160GB and copy to new using the directions?

Obviously I would need to get the original image for option 1.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #9106
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I would go with option 2.
No need to set up as new. Especially if you're dealing with cable card pairing.
Divorce the external and make sure the Tivo functions properly with a single drive.
Do the upgrade. All of your settings, thumb ratings, season passes, and cable card pairing will be copied to the new hard drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #9107
dbaps

Just want to tell everyone that I switched out my 1TB drive and put in the 2TB NAS red drive. I can't hear it at all. Everything went fine. If you don't mind paying a little extra its a good deal. I was surprised about the 1 TB green drive that came with the Tivo-HD XL. Just surprised they used that model.

I'm looking forward to someone that knows what their doing to rate the noise level of this drive.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #9108
unitron

Quote:
Just want to tell everyone that I switched out my 1TB drive and put in the 2TB NAS red drive. I can't hear it at all. Everything went fine. If you don't mind paying a little extra its a good deal. I was surprised about the 1 TB green drive that came with the Tivo-HD XL. Just surprised they used that model.

I'm looking forward to someone that knows what their doing to rate the noise level of this drive.
We curiously await the saga of how well that Red drive works out in a TiVo and wonder if extra heat will be a problem.

The green runs plenty fast for a TiVo.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #9109
snathanb

Well.. I've been figuratively pulling my hair out for two weekends trying to figure out why I couldn't get my WD10EARX working. Yes, I should have read this thread *first*, but when I upgraded my S3 from 250 GB to 1 TB several years ago, I bought a WD Green Drive and figured I'd just go the same route and bought one when they were on sale.

Two things:

1) wdidle3 - as someone else mentioned, the drive simply would not be recognized until it had been run.
2) Jumpers. This is a 6 Gb/s drive. The tivo would not recognize it and boot from it until I jumpered it down to 3 Gb/s (jumpers 5 and 6).

Now.. it works like a charm. On the plus side, I also replaced all the caps in the power supply, as well, thinking that may have been my problem.

I'm posting this in the hopes it helps someone else having issues with the same drive.

Last edited by snathanb : 10-22-2012 at 05:45 PM.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #9110
pharmatard

Great forum, so I know you guys can help

I read through the instructions on *page 1* of the forum, but wondered if there was an updated set somewhere (l/u Aug '10). There are over 300 pages of comments, so I haven't sorted through them all to see where any updated instructions might be for current drive availability and programs needed to perform upgrades.

I have a TiVo HD (regular, not XL) and want to upgrade. I noted the recent entry with directions for deleting block 16/iBored/etc. Can I follow those directions with a 1-2TB drive I can find on sale at Best Buy, or do I need to keep an eye out for a special kind? And can I assume that any conventional drive will be non-AF?

Thanks! I'll start poring through the pages bit by bit to see if I can find my answers, but figured you guys might have a shortcut!

Cheez

EDIT: Found some more info. It looks like people have had some success with AF drives, so I'll try one of those first, starting with the WD20EURS. Do I need to worry about "bulging"? I haven't found what causes that yet and if it's a major concern.

Last edited by pharmatard : 10-22-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Found some answers to my questions
pharmatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #9111
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmatard View Post
I have a TiVo HD (regular, not XL) and want to upgrade. I noted the recent entry with directions for deleting block 16/iBored/etc. Can I follow those directions with a 1-2TB drive I can find on sale at Best Buy, or do I need to keep an eye out for a special kind? And can I assume that any conventional drive will be non-AF?

Thanks! I'll start poring through the pages bit by bit to see if I can find my answers, but figured you guys might have a shortcut!

Cheez
If you are using the original hard drive that came with the Tivo as the source, you can ignore that stuff. That is dealing with upgrading a hard drive that had already been upgraded before.
Quote:
Do I need to worry about "bulging"? I haven't found what causes that yet and if it's a major concern.
''Bulging'' is a completely different topic that pertains to the capacitors on the power supply. A bad power supply can cause symptoms that mimick a bad hard drive.
Due to capacitor plague, it is recommended that you check the power supply even though you suspect a hard drive problem.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #9112
unitron

Quote:
I read through the instructions on *page 1* of the forum, but wondered if there was an updated set somewhere (l/u Aug '10). There are over 300 pages of comments, so I haven't sorted through them all to see where any updated instructions might be for current drive availability and programs needed to perform upgrades.

Cheez

EDIT: Found some more info. It looks like people have had some success with AF drives, so I'll try one of those first, starting with the WD20EURS. Do I need to worry about "bulging"? I haven't found what causes that yet and if it's a major concern.

I put an EURS in my S3 HD about a month ago and it's working fine.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #9113
dmbpj

I am close to tears here. I bought a new WD approved HD and wanted to use Mfscopy and I screwed something up.

I backed up my original drive, kernal, and boot page, but now I am not sure what to do and don't want to totally blow this.

In Winmfs when I select my original Tivo drive I can see the parameters of model #, format, drive size (160GB), sectors, bus type and it is unmounted. But when I click select the drive does not show up in the lower left of Winmfs and when I go to to mfs copy, only the drive I am trying to copy to shows up.

Here is a screenshot

The drive just shows up at Tivo Drive A: 0 (, )

Scary thing is when I went to select the drive the first time it all showed up ok. I am not sure what I did.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivowinmfs.jpg (34.3 KB, 7 views)
dmbpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #9114
dmbpj

I am afraid to restore the original drive. Don't know what to do. Please help.
dmbpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #9115
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try running WinMFS as administrator. Also, do not use Windows administrative tools on the Tivo drive, especially to obtain a drive letter, as this will delete all Tivo info from the drive. Windows should not recognize the drive, only WinMFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbpj View Post
I am close to tears here. I bought a new WD approved HD and wanted to use Mfscopy and I screwed something up.

I backed up my original drive, kernal, and boot page, but now I am not sure what to do and don't want to totally blow this.

In Winmfs when I select my original Tivo drive I can see the parameters of model #, format, drive size (160GB), sectors, bus type and it is unmounted. But when I click select the drive does not show up in the lower left of Winmfs and when I go to to mfs copy, only the drive I am trying to copy to shows up.

Here is a screenshot

Scary thing is when I went to select the drive the first time it all showed up ok. I am not sure what I did.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #9116
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbpj View Post

Here is a screenshot

It's difficult to tell from your screenshot, but it looks like you've got a bunch of stuff other than WinMFS open as well, which is not the way to reduce the chances of something going wrong.

Tell WinMFS to show mounted drives and see if your source drive shows up with a drive letter attached.

If so, there's something in WinMFS that'll overwrite the PC style MBR and re-write a TiVo/Apple Partition Map style bootpage, I just don't remember exactly what it's called.

You should make yourself a bootable copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, which has, among a lot of other stuff, manufacturers' diagnostic hard drive testing programs.

You might want to check both your source and target drives first.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #9117
pharmatard

As an update, I just successfully updated my TiVo HD from a factory 160GB drive to a 2TB and have the FULL CAPACITY! With two caveats (EDIT - three caveats, I can't count):

1. When I used iBored to alter the partitions, I only had 14 total partitions, NOT 16. It may be because I had barely anything still on the old drive as I'd recently deleted a bunch of my former roommate's reality TV that was hogging what little space I had. I still updated all the numbers to 15.

2. When I went back into WinMFS after using iBored, it stated "WinMFS Error 7: wrong tivo signature" or something similar. I tried fixing the bootpage using option 1, then option 2, and neither worked. Each time I tried reopening the drive, WinMFS said "This is not a TiVo drive." I then restored the drive from the truncated backup and it loaded just fine after reinstalling in my TiVo, except...

3. The few recordings I had copied over in the initial mfscopy step would not play - I received a "playback error - there was no signal when this show was recorded". I wasn't too broken up about losing what I had left, so I just deleted all the leftover entries and am starting fresh.

Added a bunch of new season passes. If you never hear from me again, it's because you guys posted an amazingly complete and comprehensive guide and everything's perfect.

THANKS! You helped me save at least $4-500!
pharmatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #9118
OhFiddle

Thought I would post my lengthy Tivo HD drive upgrade experience on here in case it is helpful to others. I had read a good chunk of this thread and countless other sites before performing the upgrade and got a lot of helpful info, but also a lot of conflicting and possibly outdated info about which drive to buy. Many of the recommended "best drives" were not readily available anymore. I also had a couple of "oh crap" moments where something unexpected happened that I hadn't read about, but it turned out ok.

Based on a post by an Australian on here and a single Amazon review both saying the WD10EURX worked great, I decided to give it a chance. There were older posts and websites saying it most likely wouldn't work, but since it was one of the few drives I could actually find "new" I wanted to try it.

It has been two weeks since I put the drive in and I haven't noticed any problems yet. I did a soft reboot and it came up fine.

I bought the new 1TB WD10EURX drive from Amazon for $91. It is a SATA III drive and says on the drive that is advanced format and a green drive. The manufacturer date is 31 Aug 2012 and it is a product of Malaysia. The full model # is WD10EURX-73FH1Y0 .

I used a computer with Windows 7 64 bit with 6 gigs of ram to work on.

I wanted to see about the whole intellipark issue, so I downloaded the wdidle3 iso and burned it to a cd to boot from. I hooked up the new drive directly to the sata controller on the motherboard and disconnected my main hd. Then I powered up and went into my bios to change the sata controller to ide mode then saved and exited. Then I booted from the cd and typed in wdidle3. It said idle3 timer is disabled! I should have just stopped there and realized I lucked out that it was disabled already, but I decided to type in wdidle3 /r just to be sure. That kind of locked it up and after a long wait I got beeps and errors about reading from the drive. Then prompts to abort, retry , fail which did not allow me to enter anything. I thought I hosed it up, but a powercyle and running it again still showed it was still disabled so I stopped there and proceeded to the next step.

I powered down and re-attached my main drive and also attached the old tivo drive to the sata controller. Then I changed my bios sata setting back and booted into windows. I disabled my Avast anti-virus and changed my power saving settings to stay on to avoid anything interrupting the copy process.

Then I right-clicked on and ran as an administrator the latest WinMFS that I had downloaded . In WinMFS I selected the old tivo drive and ran all three backup options. Then I ran msinfo on the old drive and saved the results. I reselected the old tivo drive and ran mfscopy.

Here's where the weirdness starts which I think someone else posted about recently too. I got a pop-up that said "restore bootpage, you are about to overwrite dos or windows drive". That freaked me out so I backed out and tried it again. Multiple times in fact.

Only the two unmounted drives (old tivo and new unformatted tivo drive) were showing up in the program though, not my windows drive. So the message about overwriting a windows drive didn't make sense.

On the bottom status bar it showed the old drive as tivo drive a:0 (,) and clicking on the status bar showed it as a 0gb drive but the correct software version and serial number were there. I figured it was just a glitch and proceeded. On the next screen where you select your source drive from the drop down it also showed the drive was 0gb. But after reselecting it in the drop-down a few times the correct info suddenly populated saying it was 160gb and a tivo series drive. But in the status bar at the bottom of the screen it still had the wrong info.

So I went ahead and selected the new 1tb as the destination and proceeded. I left the checkboxes at the default options and ran it. It took about 45 minutes to do the copy (the old drive was not nearly full). When prompted to expand the new drive I hit yes. I ran the msinfo on the new drive and saved it. Then I selected the new drive and went to tools supersize and turned that on.

Then I powered down, disconnected everything, and put the new drive in the tivo. It came up the first time with all my old recordings and has been working great. I tried the soft reboot from the menu and it came up fine.

While I had the case open I also looked at the capacitors and didn't notice anything funky with them. The reason I decided to upgrade the drive was because I had just a couple of times where the tivo locked up.

I still don't know what caused the lock-up issues but I thought it would be wise to replace the hard drive anyways before it failed. One time we had turned on the tv to find just a gray screen even though the tivo was on...a reboot fixed it. The other time it was stuck on the tivo menu with the green, red, and yellow light all solid on and it was totally unresponsive to the remote. I couldn't find any info on the yellow light staying on like that unless you had a phone line connected to the tivo... which we do not. A reboot fixed that lockup too, but it prompted me to run the diagnostics and replace the drive anyways. The old drive passed all the kickstart hd tests too.

I know this is overly wordy. But, I thought it might be helpful to anyone thinking on trying the wd10eurx or experiencing the same weirdness with the wdidle3 and WinMFS program. I saw someone else a few posts above had the same issue recently with the WinMFS not correctly recognizing/identifying the old tivo drive.
OhFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #9119
deafwhisperer

Bear in mind, I have re-read and search all over the forum for guidance. I think I'm still missing a few things...

Here's what I understand and done so far:
1) Since 160gb HD for my TivoHD (TCD652160) failed, I bought a new WD20EURS. This model has been "proven" to work with a bunch of folks here.
2) WD20EURS - disk idle timer is disabled via WDIDLE3
3) I'm in the middle of an extended test on WD20EURS - half way to go, so far so good.
4) I grabbed unitron's images (652_gset.bak & 652_gset.tbk). (thanks!!!!)

Here's the thing... Most of the instructions in this forum involve using the original HD but mine is dead. I want to start over and utilize the entire 2 GB for my Tivo.

Do I need to start using JMFS (per that JMFS instructions for TivoHD). If not, then start WinMFS? Where does the expanding happens? I understand supersize will be done in WinMFS.

If you can fill my knowledge gaps on this, that will be gold. Right now, my head is spinning out of control...
deafwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #9120
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafwhisperer View Post
Bear in mind, I have re-read and search all over the forum for guidance. I think I'm still missing a few things...

Here's what I understand and done so far:
1) Since 160gb HD for my TivoHD (TCD652160) failed, I bought a new WD20EURS. This model has been "proven" to work with a bunch of folks here.
2) WD20EURS - disk idle timer is disabled via WDIDLE3
3) I'm in the middle of an extended test on WD20EURS - half way to go, so far so good.
4) I grabbed unitron's images (652_gset.bak & 652_gset.tbk). (thanks!!!!)

Here's the thing... Most of the instructions in this forum involve using the original HD but mine is dead. I want to start over and utilize the entire 2 GB for my Tivo.

Do I need to start using JMFS (per that JMFS instructions for TivoHD). If not, then start WinMFS? Where does the expanding happens? I understand supersize will be done in WinMFS.

If you can fill my knowledge gaps on this, that will be gold. Right now, my head is spinning out of control...
Do you have another hard drive at least 160GB in size which you can use temporarily?

You need a drive with the image on it, but without any extra space that would get turned into an Apple Free Partition (yep, the Apple Partition Map scheme classifies unpartitioned space as a partition), because jmfs just copies everything in its first step before it offers to expand.

If not there may be a complicated way to do it with just the 2TB drive, but I'm only half-way through that experiment so far.

Ordinarily, you would take the .bak image and use the MFS Live cd and restore that image on a drive up to 1.2TB in size, which would put the original 13 partitions on it, and then it would expand by adding an MFS pair (partitions 14 and 15).

Or you would take the .tbk image and use WinMFS to do the same thing.

Either way, you wind up with 15 partitions.

Then you could take jmfs and it would copy that 15 partition structure to the 2TB and further expand by adding a single MFS media partition.

That would exhaust TiVo's 16 partitions per drive limit.

Or I guess you could do it the way jmfs was originally designed to work upgrading Premieres and take the original drive (which would have to working without problem) and let jmfs copy it to the 2TB and then fill up the extra space with a single MFS media partition.

The thing about jmfs is that it was never designed to have to deal with the existence of an Apple Free partition, and cannot reclaim any space used by one, cannot copy the other partitions and not copy that one, and if that Apple Free partition is the 16th partition before jmfs does its expansion trick by adding a partition, the partition added will be the 17th on that drive and the TiVo will think it's a screwed up partition on an external drive and insist on divorcing it, leaving you back where you started.