TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
rworcester

Is a TiVo Series 2 Worth Upgrading?

After 4 or 5 years of watching/recording basic cable and digital antenna, I decided to go digital with Time Warner and ordered the cable card. Now all of my recordings on my TiVo Series 3 are copy protected - even the channels I on basic cable.

My solution was to get lifetime on my old Series 2 and hook cable directly to it. That works fine but the hard drive is small and it keeps warning other programs will be deleted early.

I don't care to download ALL my progrms to the computer so here's my question: Is this Series 2 TiVo worth upgrading to a larger hard drive?
Or is it too obsolete and liable to get other problems soon?

How many people still use an old Series 2?

Thanks,
Robert
rworcester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
buscuitboy

I have a lifetime Series 2 DT in my network along with a Series 3 and two series 4s (Premieres). It works good for the most part & it controls a digital box. Originally, I thought I would simply use this S2 as an additional source to record stuff and then transfer/MRV it to the Series 3 and 4s. Keep in mind that all S2 recordings will be in standard definition even on the Series 3 and 4s. I have gotten so used to the much higher quality of the HD (on the S3 & S4s) that I now actually rarely transfer recordings from the S2. I guess if you don't have any HDTVs yet, then this might not be a factor for you, but this is just my experience.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
rworcester

Thanks for you reply.
My other TiVos are an S3 and a Pioneer810.
I enjoy making DVDs and use the Desktop software. When I download a show from the 810, it makes a lousy DVD using Roxio 10 but good using its own burner.
When I upgraded my S3 to HD by getting a cable card, I found I can no longer download shows to my computer because EVERYTHING is copy protected now.
I think I'll upgrade the hard drive in the S2 and use that for making DVDs.
Thanks for your input.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
lrhorer

Why don't you "upgrade" your S3 instead? That will solve all the problems, inclluding a dozen or so you don't even realize you have. It will cost a bit more, perhaps, than buying a hard drive, but it is well worth it. If you are good with a soldering iron, it could cost you a lot less than buying a hard drive. See the "other" TiVo hobbyist forum for details. Look for Omikron in the For Sale section, and my handle (lrhorer) in the Series 3 support section.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
rworcester

When the external HDD failed, I upgraded the S3 HDD to a 1tb. It works great!
The problem is everything I record is copy protected on the S3 but not the S2.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
lrhorer

I recognize that fact. That is why I am suggesting you modify your S3, so that nothing is copy protected on it.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I still have an S2 with a large hard drive and gave two of them (all with lifetime) to my daughter. The two primary problems with the older boxes are hard drives and power supplies. The power supplies usually boil down to bulging capacitors which can be replaced cheaply (if you or a friend know how to solder). Upgrading hard drives involves free software and free images.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworcester View Post
After 4 or 5 years of watching/recording basic cable and digital antenna, I decided to go digital with Time Warner and ordered the cable card. Now all of my recordings on my TiVo Series 3 are copy protected - even the channels I on basic cable.

My solution was to get lifetime on my old Series 2 and hook cable directly to it. That works fine but the hard drive is small and it keeps warning other programs will be deleted early.

I don't care to download ALL my progrms to the computer so here's my question: Is this Series 2 TiVo worth upgrading to a larger hard drive?
Or is it too obsolete and liable to get other problems soon?

How many people still use an old Series 2?

Thanks,
Robert
What's the model number and how much did it cost to lifetime it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote