Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I can overlook this stuff. Most of this stuff is for exposition for people like me who don't know it, not because the characters in the show are supposed to be morons.
Yes. I need the plot fairies too.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think part of the problem is that what's obvious to people who are up on current military capabilities won't be obvious to the vast majority of the show's audience, so they need to have somebody to explain things to the audience. And unfortunately, they didn't think of that when creating the characters, so they have to settle for having characters to whom everything is obvious explain things to other characters to whom everything is obvious.

What they need is somebody on the sub to whom all this stuff isn't obvious, to whom people can explain things. Maybe a cute kid.
This is why you almost always have someone who doesn't know what's going on so you can explain to THAT person and get the exposition in that way.

The French Lady would have been perfect in that role in this episode. Submarine tactics could conceivably be outside her expertise.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Wowzers, Erith.
Yeah, I was in high school with the CO's son at the time and he was.. less than pleasant to me, shall we say.

I asked my dad about it and he said he really had no choice. The CO was misappropriating military funds and duty required that he do something about it. When he couldn't get anywhere internally, he felt he had to go on record, so he put the CO on report (the XO refused to sign it) and fired it off to Washington. In the clear, so that there was no way to hide it and hush it up.

My dad is many things, but he will NOT back down if he thinks he's right (and now you know where I get it from).

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
The French Lady would have been perfect in that role in this episode. Submarine tactics could conceivably be outside her expertise.
The problem is, getting her on the sub.

Maybe they could get away with it once or twice, but there's really no reason to make her a permanent fixture, which is what they need.

Cute kid is always the answer. Unless you're Star Trek, in which case instead of having a cute kid to explain everything to, you have a cute kid who explains everything.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
desulliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
This is why you almost always have someone who doesn't know what's going on so you can explain to THAT person and get the exposition in that way.

Except that they've pretty much established that there's nothing beyond her expertise.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker

When they showed the shot of the SEAL in the water looking at the fast-attacks driving around, I had the briefest thought that he might go swim down to one or more of them and somehow disable them with his drill.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #37
Ereth

Quote:
The problem is, getting her on the sub.

Maybe they could get away with it once or twice, but there's really no reason to make her a permanent fixture, which is what they need.

Cute kid is always the answer. Unless you're Star Trek, in which case instead of having a cute kid to explain everything to, you have a cute kid who explains everything.
She was on the Sub this week.

The easy solution is for them to recruit her to replace some crewmember who decided not to go. It's already obvious she has the hots for the XO, so she'd be willing to tag along, and they could be training her for whatever role they need exposition for this week, due to their "skeleton crew" status.

It's not a GOOD solution, militarily, mind you, but it would solve a storytelling problem better than having the COB tell experienced officers things they already know.

The better solution would be to have a P03 new to the bridge in training that they could explain things to, but it gets awkward to have a nugget like that questioning orders. You'd have to have an experienced Petty Officer giving him exposition on the side.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #38
JYoung
Series 3

Perhaps they can make Frenchie an Acting Ensign and the COB can be all surly to her.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
newsposter
Poster of News

why not wait until the deal is signed then rip it up coulda had them all in hand the ez way

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
What they need is somebody on the sub to whom all this stuff isn't obvious, to whom people can explain things. Maybe a cute kid.
Maybe Grace could spontaneously give birth to Andrew Keaton.

Or maybe cousin Oliver from out of town could join the sub.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #41
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Or maybe cousin Oliver from out of town could join the sub.
...as a torpedo.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote