TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Robbomac

Planning to replace 5-year-old upgraded 1TB drive in TiVo HD

I bought my TiVo HD TCD652160 exactly 5 years ago, and immediately upgraded the drive with a 1TB WD10EACS using WinMFS.

The system is still running flawlessly 5 years later, but I know that the drive isn't going to last forever. I don't need additional capacity and I want to preserve all my settings and recordings, so I'd like to simply clone my existing drive to a new 1TB drive.

I see that WD10EACS drives are still available - but is there any good reason I should consider a newer SATA-300 WD drive (EADS, EARS, EURS, EVDS)? I assume with any new WD drive that it would be wise to run wdidle3.exe to make sure that the IntelliPark feature is disabled, right?

Is MFSCopy in WinMFS the best way to clone my drive? Or is it better to use the Linux dd or dd_rescue command? I haven't messed with these tools in 5 years, so I just want to make sure I'm doing things right! Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Robbomac : 10-26-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Robbomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbomac View Post
I bought my TiVo HD TCD652160 exactly 5 years ago, and immediately upgraded the drive with a 1TB WD10EACS using WinMFS.

The system is still running flawlessly 5 years later, but I know that the drive isn't going to last forever. I don't need additional capacity and I want to preserve all my settings and recordings, so I'd like to simply clone my existing drive to a new 1TB drive.

I see that WD10EACS drives are still available - but is there any good reason I should consider a newer SATA-300 WD drive (EADS, EARS, EURS, EVDS)? I assume with any new WD drive that it would be wise to run wdidle3.exe to make sure that the IntelliPark feature is disabled, right?

Is MFSCopy in WinMFS the best way to clone my drive? Or is it better to use the Linux dd or dd_rescue command? I haven't messed with these tools in 5 years, so I just want to make sure I'm doing things right! Thanks for the advice.

Good luck finding any of those, or their 2TB versions, except for the WD20EURS, which you can grab for $113 right now

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...words=wd20eurs

Might as well spend a little more (those 1TB drives, if you find them, will cost you near $100) and get twice the space on an AV specific drive.

Then use the jmfs cd v1.04 to copy and expand.

Read here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

about jmfs

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Robbomac

Thanks for the tip, unitron.

I'm not clear about something I'm reading in the JMFS thread: If I copy my WinMFS-expanded 1TB contents to a 2TB drive, will I need to manually delete/adjust partitions (the teiland reference in the FAQ)? Or is that necessary only if there is an apple_free partition between MFS media partitions?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, unitron.

I'm not clear about something I'm reading in the JMFS thread: If I copy my WinMFS-expanded 1TB contents to a 2TB drive, will I need to manually delete/adjust partitions (the teiland reference in the FAQ)? Or is that necessary only if there is an apple_free partition between MFS media partitions?
When you used WinMFS to copy to that 1TB and expand, it should have used all of the space, giving you a total of 15 partitions, partitions 10-15 being the two MFS pairs on the original 160GB drive and the last two being the ones added by mfsadd to expand. It should not have left a 16th Apple Free partition at the end. The MFS Live cd had an annoying habit of doing that.

As long as you have 15 or fewer partitions, jmfs can copy that drive to a 2TB and expand by adding a single MFS media partition to fill the rest of the drive.

If you have 16 partitions already, jmfs will copy all of them, and then fill the rest of the space with a single partition, but the TiVo has a rule about no more than 16 partitions per drive, so when you boot up it'll see that 17th partition and think it's a screwed up external drive and insist on "divorcing" it, which means you'll be back to only having 1TB of space available even though it's a 2TB drive.

Generally the manual partition wrangling is just for using a 2TB in the original S3, the one before the S3 HD and HD XL.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Robbomac

Thanks so much, Unitron, for the quick tutorial! I'm ordering the 2TB drive tomorrow. Will let you (and the thread) know when I replace the old drive, and how it worked for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Robbomac

I just finished my drive transfer, and all went well with JMFS. I first ran WDIDLE3 on the new WD20EURS drive just to be sure the park feature was disabled (it already was).

It took about 8 hours (at SATA II speed, about 33 MB/sec), but I had no trouble whatsoever with copying and drive expansion. My TiVo HD should be good for another 3-5 years with its 318 hours of HD capacity.

Thanks again, unitron, for answering my questions about the process.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
I just finished my drive transfer, and all went well with JMFS. I first ran WDIDLE3 on the new WD20EURS drive just to be sure the park feature was disabled (it already was).

It took about 8 hours (at SATA II speed, about 33 MB/sec), but I had no trouble whatsoever with copying and drive expansion. My TiVo HD should be good for another 3-5 years with its 318 hours of HD capacity.

Thanks again, unitron, for answering my questions about the process.
Always like to hear success stories.

Now you just need to call up over and over again and threaten to unsubscribe that HD until you get a CSR who'll give you the $99 lifetime deal.