TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
SNJpage1

Boardwalk Empire 10/21/12 spoilers

I think I am about to delete my season pass. There are too many things going on at once and I think its ruining the show. I didnt mind when there was three story lines going but I think tonight there were five story lines going. It's as if they dont have enough material to do one story so they have to put other things as fillers. His girl in NY is a waste of time to me. And now Jame's mother is about to go flakey on us.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I think I am about to delete my season pass. There are too many things going on at once and I think its ruining the show. I didnt mind when there was three story lines going but I think tonight there were five story lines going. It's as if they dont have enough material to do one story so they have to put other things as fillers. His girl in NY is a waste of time to me. And now Jame's mother is about to go flakey on us.
The whole point of a long running dramatic series is to have a lot of interlocking stories. Think about how many threads there were on The Wire and Deadwood.

Billie is cute.

Gillian has been a flake all along. She still has to carefully explain to Roger how he'll be Jimmy.

<-----That country lawyer is going to fun to watch some more.

Did they establish if the kid did set the fires or was there a real vagant?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
The whole point of a long running dramatic series is to have a lot of interlocking stories. Think about how many threads there were on The Wire and Deadwood.

Billie is cute.

Gillian has been a flake all along. She still has to carefully explain to Roger how he'll be Jimmy.

<-----That country lawyer is going to fun to watch some more.

Did they establish if the kid did set the fires or was there a real vagant?
Owen mentioned the vagrant starting the fires to stay warm.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Family

I'm pretty sure we are to assume the kid set the fire.

I like the direction the show is taking. There is a void from Jimmy's death, but they have enough going on and interesting characters to overcome that.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
I'm pretty sure we are to assume the kid set the fire.

I like the direction the show is taking. There is a void from Jimmy's death, but they have enough going on and interesting characters to overcome that.
I must have mis-understood. I thought the bag with the turpentine and matches belonged to the vagrant and the kid took it from the neighbor's house, I just did not follow how else he would have come by them.

Last edited by NJ_HB : 10-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
pmyers

It really doesn't seem like it would be that hard to take back that Tabor Heights town...
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

I still think the kid started the fire.

This episode was pretty much a snoozer. I don't care about most of the people it focused on.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
klj
Tivo Challenged

not sure where to put this so i'll throw it in here.

is anyone else having each episode record twice. once on hbo and once on hbo latino?
klj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj View Post
not sure where to put this so i'll throw it in here.

is anyone else having each episode record twice. once on hbo and once on hbo latino?
no, mi amigo!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
SNJpage1

After all the time that was spent on the Tabor Heights story line, it was wrapped up in 5 minutes?
I think it was the boy setting the fires. He did say that the bag was his. Wasnt there an eposode in the first year where he was playing with matchs?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
pmyers

Quote:
After all the time that was spent on the Tabor Heights story line, it was wrapped up in 5 minutes?..
I didn't get the impression that it is wrapped up. That guy is still on the lose and probably getting reinforcements.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I didn't get the impression that it is wrapped up. That guy is still on the lose and probably getting reinforcements.
Nucky and Doyle lost their whole crew in Tabor Heights, too.

We can see from the preview that Gyp Rosetti is not only going to take on Nucky and Rothstein and "Da Joos" he's going after Luciano who is also in, or a friend of Marciano's(?) Italian gang.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
pmyers

I did love Nucky calling out Rosetti about being offended by everything in the last episode.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
john4200

I have trouble keeping track of everyone's names on this show.

What I am wondering is, after he called Nucky, whether Means is really going to help Nucky set up Attorney General Daugherty, or whether it is a trick to set up Nucky.

I'm glad to see Esther Randolph back. It should be fun to watch her try to take down Daugherty.

I also had the feeling that Teddy set the fire. Why would he have a bag that he claimed was his with matches and turpentine if he was not involved? And as someone else mentioned, he got in trouble for playing with matches before (I think it was at school). But if Teddy did it, I don't understand why Slater claims that he caught a vagrant who was responsible for the fire.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I think I am about to delete my season pass...And now Jame's mother is about to go flakey on us.
You're going to cancel your Season Pass after watching ONE EPISODE?!?

Because clearly, if you think James's mother is only now going flaky, you've never seen this show before.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I have trouble keeping track of everyone's names on this show.

What I am wondering is, after he called Nucky, whether Means is really going to help Nucky set up Attorney General Daugherty, or whether it is a trick to set up Nucky.

I'm glad to see Esther Randolph back. It should be fun to watch her try to take down Daugherty.
Means says that Daugherty has no cronies left to back him, other than blubbering Smith. That is probably true, but it was Means who told them (Smith!) to bust a bootlegger to get the heat off.

Esther has to get the backing of the President. In thos edays they'd likely just burn her.

Quote:
I also had the feeling that Teddy set the fire. Why would he have a bag that he claimed was his with matches and turpentine if he was not involved? And as someone else mentioned, he got in trouble for playing with matches before (I think it was at school). But if Teddy did it, I don't understand why Slater claims that he caught a vagrant who was responsible for the fire.
Slater was giving the kid an excuse. Watch for that to bite them when the kid sets fire to the house.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
pmyers

Quote:
...What I am wondering is, after he called Nucky, whether Means is really going to help Nucky set up Attorney General Daugherty, or whether it is a trick to set up Nucky...
I think he's genuine in wanting to setup the AG because he doesn't want to go down with the ship....especially with that blubbering guy having a mental breakdown right in front of him.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I have been thinking about dropping this show too. I don't eagerly await each episode like I used to. I think somewhere along the line I was doing too much web surfing while watching and wasn't paying enough attention to understand what all is going on.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
robojerk

Gillian, Margaret, Richard, and Van Alden's story lines..... at times I find them interesting, but at the same time I see no connection to the main arc. Gillian's story line gets far too much screen time in my opinion, she was only a bit player that supported Jimmy's story arc, and now that James is dead she's become obscure and extremely unimportant to the main arc. This is starting to remind me of True Blood with too many story lines.

Seasons 1 & 2 were good enough that hopefully everything gets wrapped up at the end and the writers show why these story lines are important.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Family

The show wants to go gangster, but there is a limit to what they can do because many of the gangsters can't die. I like that there are many subplots; it dillutes Margaret who was taking over the non mob area of the show.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
The show wants to go gangster, but there is a limit to what they can do because many of the gangsters can't die.
Which is why the gangsters so often work through [expendable] proxies.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

What will Nucky and Slater and Eli and Harrow think when they hear that Jimmy is back?

The muse tells me that Gillian's plan is more sinister. She needs Jimmy's body so he can be declared dead and she can really take control of the two houses, so Roger is going to die horribly with his face burned/blown off.

Aside: Didja notice that Jack Houston does the Guinness Black commercial? He doesn't talk like Harrow, but he does flash that same "smile."
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
The muse tells me that Gillian's plan is more sinister. She needs Jimmy's body so he can be declared dead and she can really take control of the two houses, so Roger is going to die horribly with his face burned/blown off.
Good thought. My only two thoughts on Roger/James were:
a) Ewww.
b) You mean there are two guys with that same dumb haircut?

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Although wasn't the lawyer (or whoever the old guy is) on her case about not having already had Jimmy declared dead? He made it sound like the only thing that was preventing it was her refusal to do it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
pmyers

Quote:
...The muse tells me that Gillian's plan is more sinister. She needs Jimmy's body so he can be declared dead and she can really take control of the two houses, so Roger is going to die horribly with his face burned/blown off...
I'd believe that more than the idea she is going to parade him around as Jimmy (which I had never even thought about till somebody posted it here. I just thought she wanted some nookie).
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #26
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
We can see from the preview that...
DUDE!!!

After last week's action-packed episode I kind of expected a snoozer this week, and wasn't disappointed.

I do think the son set the fires. He's acting strangely and, of course, the producers want us to think he did it (why else show the matches incident in the "Previously on..." opening montage?). I think the bodyguard dude is protecting the son because he has his own motives to replace Nucky as the father-figure. And I think Margaret senses that the void Nucky has left needs to be filled ("we need to talk...") and as we saw at the episode's end, she's open to replacements.

I don't know where the VFW scene was supposed to take us in the overall story arch, but I enjoyed the acting, sets and overall feeling of the scenes. I just wish it didn't feel so disjointed.

Val Alden, Capone and all of Chicago was absent from this episode and I didn't miss them at all. I wish that whole storyline had been dropped. As someone pointed out, there are just too many story lines to feel cohesive. Same with the hospital stuff (though there was a hint at it re. birth control)

I'm curious what Gillian is up too, but I don't want to be creeped out any more like I was last season.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know what show some of you are watching, I think it's still great. Some of these ancillary storylines are likely building towards some big things near the season finale. I think something notable is going to happen with Van Alden, for example.

Either way, I'm certainly not giving up now. Still a great show IMO.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #28
pmyers

I think the FVW scene could be a setup to a romantic connection between Richard and that guy's daughter.

You know that Van Alden is going to owe the mob once they dispose of that body for him...
Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
I don't know what show some of you are watching, I think it's still great. Some of these ancillary storylines are likely building towards some big things near the season finale.
And this is part of my complaint about BE. We spend far too much time meandering thru the first 80% of a season, and the final episode or two pull it together and create some real hiatus drama.

*IF* the meandering was great drama, this would be a moot point. But it's so sloooow, it's painful to watch at times (IMHO). I'm coming to the conclusion that the excitement of the last couple episodes doesn't justify the "forcing myself to watch" majority of the season.

The writers are confusing unfocused boring writing with character development. Again, IMHO. I realize many still enjoy this.

Scanning some ratings: BE ended last year at 2.6 million viewers, a 1.0 share. This season premiere was 2.8, with a 1.2 share. The last episode was 2.3 with a .8. This is for the first showing only, viewership increases when you add in multiple showings. My point is that viewership is slowly withering away, a bad sign for a show like this. And the opposite of what HBO is seeing for True Blood and Game of Thrones. My wife stopped watching BE a couple weeks ago; I'm still watching, but am on the bubble.

I'm trying to be careful not to threadcrap, simply sharing what I think is a growing feeling among viewers.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
SNJpage1

Rob
I have been watching this show from the very start. This was not the first one I watched.