TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
SalemCat

Stream = Apple ONLY ?

From what I can gather, TiVo Stream works ONLY with a small selection of Apple Mobile Devices.

Windows devices or Laptops are not compatible.

Correct ?
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCat View Post
a small selection of Apple Mobile Devices.
Do you know how many iOS devices were sold last year?? "Small" doesn't go anywhere near it.

The Stream currently supports iOS. Android is planned. There has been no mention of traditional computers (Windows or OSX)
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
SalemCat

Apparently TiVo Stream supports only an iPod, iPad, or iPhone.

Three devices ONLY ?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:

Three devices ONLY ?
How many iOS devices were sold last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
The Stream currently supports iOS. Android is planned. There has been no mention of traditional computers (Windows or OSX)

SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
SalemCat

Quote:
How many iOS devices were sold last year?
No idea.

How many Android and Windows devices, including Computers, were sold last year ?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
SalemCat

Quote:
It looks like TiVo Stream won't be on Santa's List in my home. Too bad. If it worked on anything I own I'd buy it.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo has said that they are working on Android support right now. Other then that we have no idea. There is a mew developer SDK which says it will have support for mobile devices in the future. If that includes the Stream then expect there to be all kinds of platforms in the future. If not then I'm guessing TiVo will eventually add a Windows 8 app, which would then support most laptops either directly or via dual boot (i.e. bootcamp) or VM setups.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
From what I can gather, TiVo Stream works ONLY with a small selection of Apple Mobile Devices.

Correct ?
Correct

Quote:

Three devices ONLY ?
Yes, that's correct.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well technically it supports any device running iOS 4.x or higher. Which means there are 4 iPhones, 4 iPods and 3 iPads that are supported. So 11 devices. And as of tomorrow there will be two more, the iPad Mini and the refreshed iPad3. (solid rumors on both)

Dan
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
mr_smits

Quote:

Correct ?

Sad but true. For some reason, Tivo has not prioritized the Android ecosystem to be used with Tivo Stream. This would be understandable if it was 2008-2009 when Android was a new OS, but it's almost 2013 and Android controls a clear majority of the U.S. smart phone market and has so for some time now. I would expect Windows laptop support before Windows app support, but they may go hand in hand.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #11

It's a lot hard to write software for Android because there are so many different devices to support.

They may have sold more units overall, but there is a huge gap in tech specs, screen size, OS, etc...

A lot of those android devices are in the hands of people who don't really use them to their full potential. People who just wanted a cheap/free phone and/or people without data plans.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not to mention the main target for the Stream is tablets, not smart phones. And in the tablet space the iPad still rules the market. (>60% I believe) plus studies have shown that iOS users use thier devices more often and typically spend more money on apps and pariphrials. So it made perfect sense for TiVo to target iOS first.

Dan
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

3 devices now. The other 3997 devices next.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well technically it supports any device running iOS 4.x or higher. Which means there are 4 iPhones, 4 iPods and 3 iPads that are supported. So 11 devices. And as of tomorrow there will be two more, the iPad Mini and the refreshed iPad3. (solid rumors on both)

Dan
How many different COLORS do these devices come in ? We might be able to double the count again.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Forgot about colors, disk sizes, with/without cellular data, etc... There are at least 12 SKUs for the current gen iPad.

Dan
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
compnurd

Quote:
Forgot about colors, disk sizes, with/without cellular data, etc... There are at least 12 SKUs for the current gen iPad.

Dan
I agree They went after tablets here and IPAD is king there. And if the Mini is price competitive Apple will rule the smaller market as well.
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
magnox

Quote:

Dan
LOL - but still apple only
magnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I agree They went after tablets here and IPAD is king there. And if the Mini is price competitive Apple will rule the smaller market as well.
PRice won't do it for me. Even if the iPAd mini is cheaper than the FireHD 8.9 ", I am still getting the FireHD 8.9" tablet. Plus Apple still uses a 20th century aspect ratio instead of using a modern 21st century aspect ratio. Unless they change things up with the mini.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
DeWitt

In the tablet space it still an iPad world. Although some Android tablets are starting to sell (Fire, Nexus) supposedly ISPs are still reporting over 90% of tablet traffic is iPad. Phones are a different story.

My very unscientific survey: Since first buying an iPad I have been noticing them on my daily commute. So far, I see typically 20 to 50 a day on the train. Have yet to see an Android tablet. Of all my friends, only the serious tech/it folks have Android tablets. Out in the general consumer world it is still all iPad.

One exception, I know quite a few iPad owners who have recently bought Kindle Fires for their kids.

And oh by the way, I love the TIVO Stream/iPad combo. So easy to watch guilty pleasure TV while commuting now.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
In the tablet space it still an iPad world. Although some Android tablets are starting to sell (Fire, Nexus) supposedly ISPs are still reporting over 90% of tablet traffic is iPad. Phones are a different story.

The situation is almost identical to what happened with the iPhone. Apple and the iPad blazed the trail, will rule for a few years, and then sales and adoption will tilt toward Android.

Apple is content with high margin devices. They are unwilling to compete on price and prefer to be a status symbol.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm not so sure it's going to tip toward Android this time though. Windows 8 is going to attract a LOT of business users to the tablet space. Casual users may still prefer iOS or Android, but when you're boss is going to give you something for free you're going to take what you can get. I think that a year from now Windows 8 is going to carve out a big slice of that pie.

Dan
Old 10-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
The situation is almost identical to what happened with the iPhone. Apple and the iPad blazed the trail, will rule for a few years, and then sales and adoption will tilt toward Android.

Apple is content with high margin devices. They are unwilling to compete on price and prefer to be a status symbol.
Overall unit sales may have tipped in favor of Android, but iOS is still firmly the lead mobile platform. The vast majority of Android devices out in the world are not being used as smartphones.

Browsing statistics and app sale numbers back this up.

I don't have links handy, but developers make something like 5 times as much selling iPhone apps and the iPhone has something like 2/3 of all mobile browsing usage. That's phones, not tablets.

Apple also makes 75% of the revenue in the mobile phone hardware business, while google has yet to make a dime off of android. Google themselves testified before congress that iOS is a more profitable platform for them. I think they actually make four times as much off of iOS mobile ads than they do off of their own platform.

But yeah, the whole world has tilted to android.

I might have skipped over this comment or been a little less blunt, but I'm tired of people making snide comments about Apple products just being status symbols.

For some reason it seems like it's impossible for some people to accept the fact that people buy apple products because they like them.

Last edited by ort : 10-25-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
mr_smits

Quote:
I'm not so sure it's going to tip toward Android this time though.

People thought the same thing about the iPhone. It was untouchable. Time will tell.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
For some reason it seems like it's impossible for some people to accept the fact that people buy apple products because they like them.
I agree that people buy Apple products because they like them, but they also buy them as a status symbol and for every other reason, valid or not. No one is buying an Android phone or Windows phone for status. Those phones don't have hipster appeal. The fact is that Apple makes good, pretty products that cost a lot more than the competition. There's nothing wrong with that. They are doing quite well!

I don't want to get into a platform debate; however, it is irrelevant what percentage of revenue Apple makes on their mobile phones. It's also irrelevant to the discussion about app sales and browsing data. Apple has a different model than Google or Windows in that they charge a premium for their product and they refuse to compete on price. Google makes their money via advertising. I'm honesty not sure about Windows.

The iPhone has about 33% of the current market and Android is about 52%. Android will continue to rise and iPhone will keep stealing from Blackberry. It's simply a numbers game. Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but I predict the tablet war will be very similar to the smartphone war: the iPad will have dominance for a number of years while the competition ramps up and eventually outpaces the Apple on sales numbers and eventually specs. Apple will continue to have devotees and will, like their computer sales, be a solid niche market for them.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #25

A top-end iPhone costs exactly as much as a top-end Android phone.

You can get an iPhone for free on contract.

I don't know why you think Android will continue to rise and that Apple won't also continue to rise.

Here is what I'm trying to say, only with proper numbers and research...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darcytra...s-dont-matter/

Last edited by ort : 10-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
A top-end iPhone costs exactly as much as a top-end Android phone.

You can get an iPhone for free on contract.

I don't know why you think Android will continue to rise and that Apple won't also continue to rise.

I didn't realize Google had so many apps. According to the article Google had 440K apps and Apple had 550K apps.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #27
jcthorne

I'll give a different take on the 'status symbol' idea and the corporate environment.

First corporate. Blackberry is dying a not so slow death. Android with security layer add ons like Touchdown are replacing Blackberries in droves. Both corporate and government. Iphone is nowhere in the corporate world except for 'BYOD' which is dead on arrival in any organization that has data security issues.

Status symbol, admittedly I work in a very large engineering office so the number of geeks is more concentrated than the general population. But the status symbol is high end Android where Iphone is for sheeple that follow what mother apple doles out to them. The Iphone 5 has driven this home with its day late, underfeatured and over priced 'update'. Sorry but lay an I5 on a confrence room table along side an HTC EVO LTE and the difference in screen, industrial design and capability for corporate use is dramatic. Apple is loosing the corporate phone market as surely as Blackberry has.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
mr_smits

Quote:

I don't understand what this has to do with our discussion. No one is debating whether Apple makes more per device (they do) or whether developers make more (they do) because Apple users buy more paid apps (they do) than Android users. Apple's entire business model is based on selling devices with high margin (expensive for consumers and cell carriers) and roping them into the eco-system. Again, we agree on these points.

Apple is great at innovation, but as a company they must continue to innovate or else lose to the competition in market share and tech specs. See the iPhone for how this is happening. I believe the same is happening with the iPad although we are still in early days. iPad dominance will continue for another 2-3 years and then competitors will begin to take over.

What this has to do with Tivo is that Tivo should not continue their current strategy of prioritizing Apple devices since the Android ecosystem has surpassed iOS. Hopefully, Tivo leadership has learned this lesson. If in the future, another competitor (Windows or a new OS) begins to gain market share Tivo should not ignore it but should adapt to the changing reality of the cell phone, tablet, or other device market.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I didn't realize Google had so many apps. According to the article Google had 440K apps and Apple had 550K apps.
Google Play app market is about to surpass Apple app store. I think they are about tied at 700k each.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I'll give a different take on the 'status symbol' idea and the corporate environment.

First corporate. Blackberry is dying a not so slow death. Android with security layer add ons like Touchdown are replacing Blackberries in droves. Both corporate and government. Iphone is nowhere in the corporate world except for 'BYOD' which is dead on arrival in any organization that has data security issues.

Status symbol, admittedly I work in a very large engineering office so the number of geeks is more concentrated than the general population. But the status symbol is high end Android where Iphone is for sheeple that follow what mother apple doles out to them. The Iphone 5 has driven this home with its day late, underfeatured and over priced 'update'. Sorry but lay an I5 on a confrence room table along side an HTC EVO LTE and the difference in screen, industrial design and capability for corporate use is dramatic. Apple is loosing the corporate phone market as surely as Blackberry has.

It's attitudes like this that put apple users in a defensive stance. Must people use terms like sheeple? Status symbol? Mother apple?

You are insulting people directly when you do this.

I think anyone who feels the need to belittle or insult people over their choice of electronics is probably a small minded person with severe emotional problems.