TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
wendiness1
WiiMomma
 
wendiness1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Idunno
Posts: 14,869
Amazing race 10/14/12

Gary needs to stop scolding Will.
__________________
I am fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.
wendiness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Regina
I've got Jewbs!
 
Regina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,394
I am glad Caitlin and Brittany are gone-they personified the "Ugly American" in this ep-"I cannot believe this guy in this country does not speak English..." Yeah, dang Indonesian...doesn't speak English...

I understand frustration with a bad "cab driver" or a bad pedi-cab driver, but do what the twins did, GTFO and get a new one!
__________________
Calling Illegal Aliens "Undocumented Workers" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists." (I am a licensed Pharmacist.)
Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
David Platt
Manually-adjusted
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,890
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I am glad Caitlin and Brittany are gone-they personified the "Ugly American" in this ep-"I cannot believe this guy in this country does not speak English..." Yeah, dang Indonesian...doesn't speak English...
I don't believe for a second that she actually said that. It seemed like a bit of creative editing to me. The first part of the sentence "can't believe a guy from this country..." was heard over another clip of her doing part of the task; they only cut to seeing her face while she's talking on "doesn't speak English." There was a subtle sound variation between the two audio clips, too, so I really think the editors franken-bited that one together from two different conversations.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,875
Caitlin and Brittany got screwed by trying to chariot-race the other team to the Pit Stop. If you are trying to pass the guys in front and then come to a fork in the road, of course your driver is going to take the other fork because there's no other place for him to be.

People expect "someone who lives here" to know every scrap of road in town, but even taxi drivers don't know it all.

I was expecting Will and Gary to get a penalty for picking up someone's money off the floor in the train station.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)
 
Neenahboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 16,072
I was stunned at the number of teams that so readily took the Lion's Head detour. I wonder if the descriptions were skewed on the clue or something, because the egg seemed so much easier (and in fact, it was).
__________________
I'm collecting My Coke Rewards codes. PM me if you have any you aren't using.
Neenahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
I was stunned at the number of teams that so readily took the Lion's Head detour. I wonder if the descriptions were skewed on the clue or something, because the egg seemed so much easier (and in fact, it was).
Usually the physically demanding tasks are the shorter ones, thats probably why. Wearing a 40lb costume didn't seem that bad compared to hauling ice blocks or somesuch so I'd have done the same thing. Plus you get to taste the culture.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)
 
Neenahboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 16,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Usually the physically demanding tasks are the shorter ones, thats probably why. Wearing a 40lb costume didn't seem that bad compared to hauling ice blocks or somesuch so I'd have done the same thing. Plus you get to taste the culture.
It just seemed so obviously skewed to the egg challenge that I found it laughable that so many teams would choose the opposite.

Wear a 40 lb. tribal mask on your head in the blistering heat, walk a parade route, and stop several times to perform a small dance routine vs. go somewhere, sit there as a guy cooks an egg on your head, then eat the egg.
__________________
I'm collecting My Coke Rewards codes. PM me if you have any you aren't using.
Neenahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
...Plus you get to taste the culture.
From the comments of those who wore those heads, they tasted TOO MUCH of the culture...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Ruth
Now with toddler
 
Ruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 12,137
Maybe people were worried about getting lost during the part of the egg challenge where they had to find the egg vendor in the market?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
I was stunned at the number of teams that so readily took the Lion's Head detour. I wonder if the descriptions were skewed on the clue or something, because the egg seemed so much easier (and in fact, it was).
We thought the same thing, but I'm guessing the real description included in the clue was much more explicit than Phil's short explanation, and there was something that made the Lion's Head task seem shorter. And given that 5 teams got off that first train at the same time, and four of them did the Lion's Head and one did the Egg Head, and the four that did Lion's Head finished before the one that did Egg Head, it seems that choosing Lion's Head was the better choice.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Squeak
An Inert Gas
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 9,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I was expecting Will and Gary to get a penalty for picking up someone's money off the floor in the train station.
Why would that be a penalty? They didn't beg for it.
__________________
Do you really care what kind of TV or TiVo I have? Didn't think so...
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Why would that be a penalty?
Finding something doesn't make it yours.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
stellie93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
From the comments of those who wore those heads, they tasted TOO MUCH of the culture...
Yeah, that was gross. If the insides of those masks really hadn't been sterilized since other people spit into them, I'd think you could get sick easily. Even drinking the water in another country can make you sick--wouldn't this be the same kind of thing? Just unfamiliar bacteria.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Regina
I've got Jewbs!
 
Regina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I don't believe for a second that she actually said that. It seemed like a bit of creative editing to me. The first part of the sentence "can't believe a guy from this country..." was heard over another clip of her doing part of the task; they only cut to seeing her face while she's talking on "doesn't speak English." There was a subtle sound variation between the two audio clips, too, so I really think the editors franken-bited that one together from two different conversations.
I hope you are right, but every time the two of them addressed the camera they spoke about how mad they were, and how pi$$ed off they were at everything, I dunno...I know the producers can edit and make the racers look any way they want...but these girls seemed whiny and annoying to me, and I am glad they are gone and "Mutt and Jeff" are still there.
__________________
Calling Illegal Aliens "Undocumented Workers" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists." (I am a licensed Pharmacist.)
Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Why would that be a penalty? They didn't beg for it.
Why put it into the show, if it didn't make a difference in the outcome? Or did it?

I saw the guys paying the p-cab driver on the road. Did they pay him extra to go fast?

Just curious.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post

Why put it into the show, if it didn't make a difference in the outcome? Or did it?

I saw the guys paying the p-cab driver on the road. Did they pay him extra to go fast?

Just curious.
I think they were just paying him then so that when they arrived at the destination, they could jump off and run to the mat without having to haggle over the price like the blonde girls had done earlier in the episode.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think they were just paying him then so that when they arrived at the destination, they could jump off and run to the mat without having to haggle over the price like the blonde girls had done earlier in the episode.
Sure, I thought so, too. But it didn't occur to me until now that they might have had extra money to sweeten the pot.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
Squeak
An Inert Gas
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 9,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Why put it into the show, if it didn't make a difference in the outcome? Or did it?

I saw the guys paying the p-cab driver on the road. Did they pay him extra to go fast?

Just curious.
My guess is they showed it because :

1) It was in the middle of the best shot they had of that team arriving at the train station
2) It was kind of funny to see the little dude bend down and pick something up and say "look! I found some money!".

We have no idea what he did with it. For all we know he turned it over to the station or the producers.
__________________
Do you really care what kind of TV or TiVo I have? Didn't think so...
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
VegasVic
Craps Player
 
VegasVic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Craps Table
Posts: 3,066
Blah episode with blah challenges but the right team went home. Good riddance.
__________________
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart.
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Why put it into the show, if it didn't make a difference in the outcome?
Because he said something to the effect of "Look, I found some money! Maybe our luck is turning around!" and in the end their luck had turned around.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #21
ADent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,102
It sure looked like Will and Gary should have gone home. They were slow, picked the wrong team for the U-turn, etc.

But in the end the right team went home. They weren't U-turned and still lost? That's bad.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Caitlin and Brittany got screwed by trying to chariot-race the other team to the Pit Stop. If you are trying to pass the guys in front and then come to a fork in the road, of course your driver is going to take the other fork because there's no other place for him to be.

People expect "someone who lives here" to know every scrap of road in town, but even taxi drivers don't know it all.

I was expecting Will and Gary to get a penalty for picking up someone's money off the floor in the train station.
The pedi-cab driver told them more than once that he knew how to get to the location written on their clue. I think you can expect someone who says they know where they are going to actually know where they are going. The contestants can't be expected to know which fork to take. It sucks when a team gets eliminated due to something completely out of their control.

I don't know what you mean when you say they were chariot racing. The boy's cab went to the right because it was the correct route; not because they were trying to get ahead of the girls.

I heard the cab driver tell the girls the fee was "50" but another team was charged "2". The girls got ripped off as well as screwed.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
tem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I heard the cab driver tell the girls the fee was "50" but another team was charged "2". The girls got ripped off as well as screwed.
they got ripped off because they were being bitches. They deserved all the bad 'luck' they got.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #24
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I heard the cab driver tell the girls the fee was "50" but another team was charged "2". The girls got ripped off as well as screwed.
It did seem like he drove them around for a long time (his fault).
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The pedi-cab driver told them more than once that he knew how to get to the location written on their clue. I think you can expect someone who says they know where they are going to actually know where they are going.
I don't blame the girls for believing him However, just the small set of empirical evidence we've seen on TAR over the seasons disproves the hypothesis that when people say they know where they are going, they always do.

Quote:
The contestants can't be expected to know which fork to take. It sucks when a team gets eliminated due to something completely out of their control.
We agree.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean when you say they were chariot racing. The boy's cab went to the right because it was the correct route; not because they were trying to get ahead of the girls.
Turn it the other way around. The boys' cab went to the right because their driver knew the correct route. The girls' driver knew, perhaps, the general location of the place they were going, but wasn't super-familiar with the road to get there. Did the girls ask him to follow the boys' p-cab or to pass it? I was thinking that if he were attempting to pass the boys' p-cab, first he'd have to draw abreast. Then he had the fork come up sooner than he expected, and he was in the position where the only place he could go was down the wrong fork.

It may not have happened this way at all. We don't have an overhead shot, and it's hard to judge when all we have is the shot from the camera following them. But otherwise I can't see why the girls p-cab driver would take the left-hand fork if the girls had asked him to either follow or pass the boys. (Note: I've already dumped my copy of the show, so I can't go back and check exactly what they said, and of course there's the language problem gumming up the works as well.)
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
cherry ghost
Registered User
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,146
The women had already passed the men and had about 10 yards on them when they came to the fork.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,121
Just got a chance to watch this since I was out of town all week.

This show is going to lose me if they keep sending home teams who are beat simply because they chose a driver who lies about knowing where to go. This is two weeks in a row. There is no incentive for the driver not to lie. Lie and you get to appear on TV show or tell the truth and get nothing.

It's easy to say hop out and choose another driver but how long does it take to recognize you have a bad driver? You don't know where you are going either so how do you know if they took a wrong turn or went in the wrong direction.

Maybe Phil should just start saying "Tune in next week to find out which team gets screwed by their local driver."
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.

Last edited by Maui : 10-21-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,685
I agree. The show should provide their own local drivers that know where to go. Getting stuck in traffic or having a flat is one thing, but having a driver mess up your game is really unfair.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #29
Ruth
Now with toddler
 
Ruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 12,137
I don't think it's unfair. It's kind of arbitrary and annoying, but that's the way life is. When you are traveling internationally, sometimes you get an incompetent cab driver or have trouble communicating with him. That's just the way it goes. Sure, it sucks for the teams when it happens, but it's realistic.

I'd much rather see teams have taxi troubles than have every single part of the race controlled by the production team, and I think we'd be pretty close to that if the show always provided drivers screened by the producers. If you are going to manipulate everything to eliminate all the realistic randomness of international travel, what's the point of leaving the US at all?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #30
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,685
The driver wouldn't have to actually stop at their destination - they could let the players know he will be driving the correct route, and it is up to them to spot where they need to stop. If they miss it, he will be going back to the start and driving the route all over again. This will eliminate people getting screwed by the driver, and will put the full burden on their shoulders.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |