TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
Flop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I've got to be honest, to me, this falls on the person who hasn't watched the show yet. It's not the rest of the world's problem to make sure they don't ever say anything that might spoil something. (And I say that as someone that's frequently a *long* way behind on watching shows). You're the one that chooses not to watch a show when it airs. If you do that, you run the risk that you're going to find something out that you might not want to know. That someone watches a show on their dvr some unknown amount of time later is not the rest of the worlds problem, and it's not their responsibility to avoid saying something about the show. Such is the price you pay for using a dvr.
Agreed 100%.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #32
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,710
There's a reason that advertisers are paying big dollars for commercials on sporting events. Most people watch them live and don't fast forward through the commercials. Networks would prefer that you watch their shows as they are aired. Twitter hashtags, day after spoilers on facebook etc. are designed to get people to watch shows as they are airing instead of watching it later on a DVR when there is more opportunity for people to skip the commercials. I continue to expect networks to try to get people to watch things as they are airing rather than accomodate people who do time shift. Encouraging spoilers or even spoiling it themselves is not going to go away any time soon.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #33
allan
I survived the Mayan
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 11,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
There's a reason that advertisers are paying big dollars for commercials on sporting events. Most people watch them live and don't fast forward through the commercials. Networks would prefer that you watch their shows as they are aired. Twitter hashtags, day after spoilers on facebook etc. are designed to get people to watch shows as they are airing instead of watching it later on a DVR when there is more opportunity for people to skip the commercials. I continue to expect networks to try to get people to watch things as they are airing rather than accomodate people who do time shift. Encouraging spoilers or even spoiling it themselves is not going to go away any time soon.
That attitude is one of my pet peeves. I have a life beyond TV. I watch when I have a chance to watch, and if I couldn't timeshift, I wouldn't see the show at all. I do, sometimes, choose to watch a specific show live (or semi-live) because I know people will post about it here, but even then, it's dependent on what else is going on. If I don't have time, I don't see it live, and it doesn't matter what stunts they pull to encourage live viewing.
__________________
My Tivo is too small!

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
Alfer
WOOSAH!
 
Alfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Melmac
Posts: 29,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I've got to be honest, to me, this falls on the person who hasn't watched the show yet. It's not the rest of the world's problem to make sure they don't ever say anything that might spoil something. (And I say that as someone that's frequently a *long* way behind on watching shows). You're the one that chooses not to watch a show when it airs. If you do that, you run the risk that you're going to find something out that you might not want to know. That someone watches a show on their dvr some unknown amount of time later is not the rest of the worlds problem, and it's not their responsibility to avoid saying something about the show. Such is the price you pay for using a dvr.
+10000
__________________
"WOOSAH!"
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #35
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Spoilers don't bother me in the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Generally I think everyone who complains about spoilers is whining. Get over it. So you know how something turns out... besides not really knowing if what is said is true, or complete, a good story is how you get there, not where you go.
So because you two feel this way, everyone else should too?

Pretty rude. And I say that as someone who really isn't bothered much by spoilers. But even though I'm not bothered much by them I can still acknowledge that there are others to whom it's more important, and respect that.
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 48,503
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
So because you two feel this way, everyone else should too?

Pretty rude. And I say that as someone who really isn't bothered much by spoilers. But even though I'm not bothered much by them I can still acknowledge that there are others to whom it's more important, and respect that.
Today must be the day of people reading everything I write with dirty glasses or something. I didn't say I go and just talk about things that others consider to be spoilers did I? I said I consider people who complain about it whiners and they should get over it and learn to enjoy the journey, not the "surprise" ending. Rude is what you do. I've never heard of being called rude because of what you believe.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
That attitude is one of my pet peeves. I have a life beyond TV. I watch when I have a chance to watch, and if I couldn't timeshift, I wouldn't see the show at all. I do, sometimes, choose to watch a specific show live (or semi-live) because I know people will post about it here, but even then, it's dependent on what else is going on. If I don't have time, I don't see it live, and it doesn't matter what stunts they pull to encourage live viewing.
It's not an attitude, it's business. Networks make more money from advertisers when people don't time shift. They aren't going to actively discourage DVR usage because it's still better than not watching it at all, but they are still going to do what they can to get as many people watching it as it airs as they can and that's because they make more money that way.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #38
Idearat
Registered User
 
Idearat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Gilroy
Posts: 3,130
I have been more annoyed over time by people complaining about spoilers than I have by having something spoiled. Of course my spoiler tolerance is based upon my thinking "it's just TV" or at least for me it is. I do recognize that it means more to other people.

I do have friends who watch the same shows that I know have DVRs, so I'll preface a message intended to initiate discussion with something like "Did you watch last weeks Sons of Anarchy?" As per the rules here, or even if there weren't the rules, I wouldn't put a recent spoiler in a thread title.

A Facebook page for a show? All fair game on the page or status updates, as they happen. It's incredibly easy to "Like" a page and be a part of the discussion but not have that page automatically post updates to your news feed. (I've about worn out my ignore button this political season ) The same goes for entertainment sites or blogs. No doubt they see the traffic and how discussion spikes after a TV event, so they are not going to let that wave pass by and have people go to another site to appease a minority who time shift and might come by later. Even if the time shifters were a majority, when those people come to the site they want to have new content ready when they show up. I searched for info on SoA while the show was on last week to make sure I was seeing who I thought I was seeing. The sites who had the "spoilers" are where I ended up.

I would be bothered if I had someone on the east coast ring me up to tell me who lives or dies on a show that wasn't due to air for another 2 hours here. But if out and about ( or wandering around the web ) I would not expect others to stifle their discussions to accommodate my TV viewing habits. I love The Amazing Race, but I also don't like waiting a week to see what happens next, so I tend to queue up most of a season before tuning in. That means I have to avoid discussions and FFWD past any TAR commercials on TV, but that's all on me. If I find out that someone got booted or is still on the show beforehand it's my own fault for not watching sooner. Lots off people enjoy watching shows but don't participate in any online discussions of them. Others find the discussions a bit part of their TV enjoyment. Those people's enjoyment of discussing the show shouldn't be stifled because I'm saving up TAR for Thanksgiving vacation.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,530
I HATE spoilers but I do agree it has become my job to avoid them - it's the ones that catch me off guard that tend to mildly irritate me - if it's something I know will really annoy me - I watch close to real time or avoid both facebook and twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Anybody else have any recent annoying spoiler experiences? And of course there are those of you will chime in saying get real. Go for it.
Last week a cousin posted on facebook a picture of an actor making an interesting guest appearance on a show that caught me off guard. Not a big spoiler but I would have enjoyed the actor's entrance more if I hadn't known about it and also seen a photo.

Spoiler:
Walton Goggins last week on Sons of Anarchy


Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
The worst is when, during the re-airing of a show, the network shows a commercial promo for the next episode, and the promo spoils the remainder of the show currently airing.
THAT is the worst - one show had a commercial that showed who got eliminated right before the segment that showed the elimination.

Of course, I am the person who complained when MasterChef showed us in a "coming up" what was in a mystery box before they actually showed what was in the mystery box.

Lastly - if you are annoyed by people complaining about spoilers then this is a thread that will probably annoy you more.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I do it all the time for football. easy for the day
This.
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #41
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Today must be the day of people reading everything I write with dirty glasses or something. I didn't say I go and just talk about things that others consider to be spoilers did I? I said I consider people who complain about it whiners and they should get over it and learn to enjoy the journey, not the "surprise" ending. Rude is what you do. I've never heard of being called rude because of what you believe.
You called people whiners because spoilers bother them more than they bother you. Sorry - I still think that's rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I have been more annoyed over time by people complaining about spoilers than I have by having something spoiled.
And if people followed the rules here and were considerate of others' wishes not to be spoiled, then there would be no complaining to annoy you. So everyone would be happy, yes?
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #42
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 48,503
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
You called people whiners because spoilers bother them more than they bother you. Sorry - I still think that's rude.
I didn't call anyone a whiner. I said I consider them to be whiners. I only revealed my general thoughts when I read things from people whining about spoilers.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #43
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 46,037
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
And if people followed the rules here and were considerate of others' wishes not to be spoiled, then there would be no complaining to annoy you. So everyone would be happy, yes?
The OP wasn't complaining about here, but about people on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboyinthenextpost
I don't have Facebook

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
And if people followed the rules here and were considerate of others' wishes not to be spoiled, then there would be no complaining to annoy you. So everyone would be happy, yes?
I wish people would follow carpool rules too and there are expensive fines for that. It's just not going to happen.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #45
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I didn't call anyone a whiner. I said I consider them to be whiners.
Oh! Well, my mistake then!

Never mind!


__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #46
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I wish people would follow carpool rules too and there are expensive fines for that. It's just not going to happen.
Can't win, don't try?

Everyone knows there are people out there who are rude and inconsiderate. Driving, shopping, everywhere you go you find them. Does that mean we should 1) accept it with no complaint or 2) join them?
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #47
dbranco
Registered User
 
dbranco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Did you tell her how rude that is?
Yep, told her the first time she did it. Was totally ignored. After the second time, I just hid her posts.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #48
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Can't win, don't try?

Everyone knows there are people out there who are rude and inconsiderate. Driving, shopping, everywhere you go you find them. Does that mean we should 1) accept it with no complaint or 2) join them?
3) Stay away from TCF threads until you watch your episode.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #49
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
3) Stay away from TCF threads until you watch your episode.
Why should someone have to do that when, if people followed the rules of this very forum, it wouldn't be necessary?

Again - my day isn't ruined if I read a spoiler, but I know it's more important to some others. So what harm does following the rules do?
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #50
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 48,503
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Why should someone have to do that when, if people followed the rules of this very forum, it wouldn't be necessary?
Even if it is the intention of everyone to follow the rules, mistakes get made, accidents happen, other conversation happens to unintentionally reveal something, people differ on how long is reasonable to have waited before openly conversing about things, conjecture that happens to be true is taken as spoilers, et. al.

I wonder how many times a spoiler gets posted and someone concerned about it sends a PM rather than making a public argument about it, and it gets replaced without anyone else really ever noticing.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #51
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Why should someone have to do that when, if people followed the rules of this very forum, it wouldn't be necessary?

Again - my day isn't ruined if I read a spoiler, but I know it's more important to some others. So what harm does following the rules do?
There is no harm in following the rules. YOUR JUST NOT going to get everybody to do it. I understand your the sentiment but that is not a universal feeling. The internet especially creates an exaggerated sense of etiquette failure and its a good idea to understand that.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #52
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
3) Stay away from TCF threads until you watch your episode.
Is this a duh comment? There are no 'spoilers' in a TCF show thread about a specific episode.

Now if someone came into the 03x01 Homeland thread and mentioned things from 03x03, that would be ******y. Surely we can agree on that?
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #53
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,111
I generally think TCF is pretty awesome, and people try to follow the spoiler rules. It is much appreciated.

My original OP related to a slightly different thing, with a show/network spoiling it's own viewers. Someone else brought up the good example of commercials during reruns that spoil the episode you're watching. That's just lazy.

I used to hate the opening of Battlestar Galactica because of that stupid snippet where they would show scenes from the episode. That was just plain dumb.
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #54
Idearat
Registered User
 
Idearat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Gilroy
Posts: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post

I used to hate the opening of Battlestar Galactica because of that stupid snippet where they would show scenes from the episode. That was just plain dumb.
You get that now on shows like American Pickers and others. My thumb is used to those things and twitches like it does when 30s skipping past commercials. In cases like that I'm not worried about spoilers, I just don't see the point in watching the same bits of the show twice.

Best I can figure it's the producers thinking they need to hook in the people watching live that tune in at the beginning of the show and are deciding if they want to watch it all. So they tease some select bits to try to get them to stay and watch. If they gain more new people watching that way than they lose those who are annoyed at the practice they'd consider that a win.

Me, I just see it as laziness. Some shows compound that with teasers before each commercial and mini-recaps when they come back. That means instead of 22 or 44 minutes of actual new content they can shave it down to 21 or 42. Some shows are bad enough about it that I start skipping before the commercial and cut out the recap when they come back.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,111
A lot of the shows on HGTV are like that. They will reuse the same scenes a couple of times each episode.
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |