TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
rajah

Series 2 freezes at "Welcome. Powering up..."

I have checked the hard drive in a PC. Both the WD Quick and Extended tests passed.
The other morning with the room at 59 I turned the TV on. It was OK until I changed the channel. The screen froze. I unplugged the Tivo and I can't get past the welcome. I tried to run Kickstarts but I can't get there when I follow directions at weaknees.com.
The fan and HD are running.
I'm a a loss.
rajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Even though the fan and hard drive seem to be running, you could still have a power supply problem.

Have you opened the Tivo to take a look?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
rajah

I have had the HD out and tested on a PC. It and the fan are definitely running.
I can't see anything wrong in there.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Sounds like a PS issue. Drive tested ok by WD test and fan is spinning, it is next on the testing order.

You were looking for bad caps? Do you have an external drive plugged in?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
rajah

No external drive. I didn't know it was supported. Or is that a hack?
No visibly bad caps.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Does the PC you used to check the hard drive have a Gigabyte brand motherboard?

Do you have any hard drives laying around that you can use for testing?
It needs to be as big or bigger than the hard drive that is in your Tivo.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Sometimes the hard drive tests ok but the SW on it has gotten messed up. If you don't mind too much losing whatever is recorded on it you can just try reimaging the drive. I've done that and "fixed" supposedly bad drives on S2 boxes I've bought. If you know the model number I can probably PM you a link to an image for it. You will need either WinMFS or MFSLive and a USB to IDE/SATA adapter cable to do the imaging.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
rajah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Sometimes the hard drive tests ok but the SW on it has gotten messed up. If you don't mind too much losing whatever is recorded on it you can just try reimaging the drive. I've done that and "fixed" supposedly bad drives on S2 boxes I've bought. If you know the model number I can probably PM you a link to an image for it. You will need either WinMFS or MFSLive and a USB to IDE/SATA adapter cable to do the imaging.
The model number is TCD240080. I can download WinMFS. I have a USB/IDE frame and several spare IDE drives. Why can't I just hang the new drive on the IDE bus for the build?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajah View Post
The model number is TCD240080. I can download WinMFS. I have a USB/IDE frame and several spare IDE drives. Why can't I just hang the new drive on the IDE bus for the build?
If you have a PC with an IDE bus, then you can open the box and connect the drive that way. I don't have a PC with an IDE bus so the USB cable is neccesary and just makes life easier even for those who do have a PC with an IDE bus.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Install WinMFS on the computer.

Use it to check the drive from that S2. (you'll need to be running XP or later as administrator)

See if it will let you select that drive and if it will, click on mfsinfo and see what that reports.

If that computer has a GigaByte brand motherboard, we need to talk further before you connect the TiVo drive to the motherboard.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
rajah

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Install WinMFS on the computer.

Use it to check the drive from that S2. (you'll need to be running XP or later as administrator)

See if it will let you select that drive and if it will, click on mfsinfo and see what that reports.

If that computer has a GigaByte brand motherboard, we need to talk further before you connect the TiVo drive to the motherboard.
I have the drive connected via USB and MFS lets me select it. It is shown as 8. I'm looking at Msinfo. What should I be looking for?
rajah
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I have the drive connected via USB and MFS lets me select it. It is shown as 8. I'm looking at Msinfo. What should I be looking for?
rajah
I have no idea what is meant by that 8 thing.

Do you already have a spare drive with an LBA number equal to or greater than 160086528?

That's slightly larger than the LBA number for an 80GB Western Digital or Seagate IDE drive from back then, 'cause TiVo used some Maxtors that were fatter than industry standard.

I've got an image for a 240080 in the "need an image, don't PM me" thread, search the thread for 240080 to find the post with the DropBox link.

But it was made from the Maxtor, so it expects to go back onto that LBA number I mentioned.

Just in case you want to try saving recordings on the current drive, if mfsinfo is giving lots of figures and no complaining, look to see if it says the drive is booting from partitions 2, 3, and 4, or from 5, 6, and 7.

If it's 234, click on boot fix and select option 2.

If it's 567, click on option 1.

This will set the drive up to boot from whichever set it's not using now, as well as refresh the drive's bootpage, which may be enough to get it to work again, at least for a while, and you can use mfscopy to copy it all to another drive the same size or larger.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
rajah

I have copied a 240080 image to a 250GB drive I had in a USB/IDE frame. It gives the same result. Actually I get the same result with the HD disconnected. I may connect the 80GB driive to the PC again and try the previous suggestion. The Misinfo looked pretty much the same on the new drive except one more partition.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
I have copied a 240080 image to a 250GB drive I had in a USB/IDE frame. It gives the same result. Actually I get the same result with the HD disconnected. I may connect the 80GB driive to the PC again and try the previous suggestion. The Misinfo looked pretty much the same on the new drive except one more partition.
Should be the same number of partitions (13), unless you said yes when asked if you wanted to expand, in which case it should have added an MFS pair, resulting in 15 partitions.