TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
billypritchard
Embiggener

General Spoiler Annoyance

Well, two different Facebook related Spoilers today.

First, a tangential friend of my wife's on FB posts a "It's blah blah blah when a zombie blah blah blah..." Uh, thanks for the spoiler. I understand Twitter is terrible for spoilers, but that is also about immediacy. I think people on FB should realize that their FRIENDS may not watch shows right away.

Second, I have 'Liked' The Good Wife on FB. I'm sure shows love to have as many likes as possible. Looks good to the upper brass. Helps foster loyalty and community. But don't screw over your loyal viewers by posting a very spoilery picture from the previous night's episode 12 hours after it aired! That's pretty bad in the DVR age.

<Rant Off>

Anybody else have any recent annoying spoiler experiences? And of course there are those of you will chime in saying get real. Go for it.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
MikeMar
Go Pats

Damnit, haven't watched last nights Walking Dead yet, but there is a ZOMBIE, uhhh thanks!!!

I avoid anything and everyone that spoils or could spoil a show that I don't watch that night.

I would unlike the Good Wife page, but only after you post about the spoiler not being cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
tiams

One of my FB friends posted a major Walking Dead spoiler last season on a Monday after it aired. The specific spoiler was :

Spoiler:
Shane was killed off

When I complained, his response was
Spoiler:
You still don't know HOW he died
Like it mattered then. People are stupid and inconsiderate.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

Spoilers don't bother me in the least.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
hummingbird_206

Sometimes spoilers bug me, other times, not so much. On soap operas and soap type shows in general, spoilers don't bother me. I even go looking for them for those types of shows.

On reality, competiton, and sports type shows, I hate spoilers. It ruins the entire thing for me if I know ahead of time who wins or who gets voted out. I try to keep caught up on those types of shows because spoilers are everywhere.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Damnit, haven't watched last nights Walking Dead yet, but there is a ZOMBIE, uhhh thanks!!!

I avoid anything and everyone that spoils or could spoil a show that I don't watch that night.

I would unlike the Good Wife page, but only after you post about the spoiler not being cool.
Yeah, I posted to the Good Wife page about it. And then unliked. Hopefully they will 'get' it.

Some shows are obviously worse than others as far as spoilers, and sometimes you just can't avoid them.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
zalusky

We live in a connected world. Some people love spoilers. If it's a big deal, I think it's best to stay away from the net until you've seen the episode.

I hate rude drivers but I don't think there going away anytime soon.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
We live in a connected world. Some people love spoilers. If it's a big deal, I think it's best to stay away from the net until you've seen the episode.

I hate rude drivers but I don't think there going away anytime soon.
I think you have to make a point to avoid places like Twitter, which are for sure going to have spoilers. But I think I can rightfully expect the show itself to not post spoilers within 12 hours!

And staying away from the net for every show you care about would basically mean staying off the net all the time. I appreciate that we have general rules here that makes it possible to not worry as much about spoilers.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
dbranco

I have a facebook (and work) friend who continuously posted Survivor spoilers the day after it aired -- usually "I can't believe Shmoe got voted off!" I ended up hiding all her posts.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
I have a facebook (and work) friend who continuously posted Survivor spoilers the day after it aired -- usually "I can't believe Shmoe got voted off!" I ended up hiding all her posts.
Did you tell her how rude that is?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I think you have to make a point to avoid places like Twitter, which are for sure going to have spoilers. But I think I can rightfully expect the show itself to not post spoilers within 12 hours!

And staying away from the net for every show you care about would basically mean staying off the net all the time. I appreciate that we have general rules here that makes it possible to not worry as much about spoilers.
^This! Last week, I wandered into a TV show thread before I'd actually seen all of the ep, saw a spoiler and groaned. I couldn't blame anyone but myself for that one; I just had to pick an ep where something significant happened.

But it would be entirely different to have the spoiler pop up in a place you wouldn't expect it.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
MikeMar
Go Pats

Or the guys in a row over just started talking Walking Dead

Couldn't get my headphones on fast enough and turned up the volume

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I solve this problem by not using Facebook. I barely have time to watch TV much less something that needs as much attention as FB.

I do have a G+ account, which I enjoy greatly, but either I don't have the right (wrong?) people in my circles or else G+ users are more considerate; I've never been spoiled by something posted there.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I'm the exact opposite...I LOVE the WTF moments on a good teevee show....

re: FB.....I have way more "friends" to whom I don't subscribe anymore just to hide their mundane "updates" ... e.g. "I walked the dog today" or "I'm going to bed now"....BFD....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Me either. I am actually now more annoyed by people who get mad at spoilers than actual spoilers.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
sharkster

IMO, it's just basic internet etiquette. So, when somebody says something like 'too bad' or 'well I guess you just should stay offline or shouldn't read then', or some other such ridiculous notion, I am reminded that it's the principle of the thing. It seems like that particular piece of the puzzle eludes some folks.

Since it IS basic internet etiquette to start with, I put it under the category of being considerate to others to follow universal procedure. period. Obviously, and especially at a place like this, one should realize that people don't watch shows as soon as they air. To just thumb one's nose at anybody who is disappointed that a show was spoiled by their lack of common courtesy and consideration is profoundly rude on top of everything else, IMO.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Generally I think everyone who complains about spoilers is whining. Get over it. So you know how something turns out... besides not really knowing if what is said is true, or complete, a good story is how you get there, not where you go.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
hummingbird_206

Wow, sure didn't take long for this thread to turn ugly.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Wow, sure didn't take long for this thread to turn ugly.
If you'll note my OP, I was prepared for such. and
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Generally I think everyone who complains about spoilers is whining. Get over it. So you know how something turns out... besides not really knowing if what is said is true, or complete, a good story is how you get there, not where you go.
Do you think the same about sporting events?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
hummingbird_206

Quote:
If you'll note my OP, I was prepared for such. and
Yeah, I was expecting it too, but it's still too bad people can express differing opinions in a more respectful manner. Just seems to be the way of the world I guess.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
zalusky

In every community there are people with manners and there are people without. Which is why I mentioned rude drivers. It would be nice if we could all keep our doors unlocked but that is just not going to happen. Same thing with spoilers.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

The worst is when, during the re-airing of a show, the network shows a commercial promo for the next episode, and the promo spoils the remainder of the show currently airing. Networks like TLC do this all the time.

(I know... "What's a commercial...")

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Do you think the same about sporting events?
Absolutely. If the final score makes the entire game uninteresting, maybe the entire game really is uninteresting and only the final score matters.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I take every opportunity to rag on inconsiderate spoiler droppers. If they're friends, I make a small effort to be polite. If they aren't fiends, I let them have it with both barrels.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #26
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Absolutely. If the final score makes the entire game uninteresting, maybe the entire game really is uninteresting and only the final score matters.
Do you even WATCH sports? I love watching it, but if you know the final score, it REALLY takes a lot out of it, unlike a comedy or something.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
gschrock

I've got to be honest, to me, this falls on the person who hasn't watched the show yet. It's not the rest of the world's problem to make sure they don't ever say anything that might spoil something. (And I say that as someone that's frequently a *long* way behind on watching shows). You're the one that chooses not to watch a show when it airs. If you do that, you run the risk that you're going to find something out that you might not want to know. That someone watches a show on their dvr some unknown amount of time later is not the rest of the worlds problem, and it's not their responsibility to avoid saying something about the show. Such is the price you pay for using a dvr.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I've got to be honest, to me, this falls on the person who hasn't watched the show yet. It's not the rest of the world's problem to make sure they don't ever say anything that might spoil something. (And I say that as someone that's frequently a *long* way behind on watching shows). You're the one that chooses not to watch a show when it airs. If you do that, you run the risk that you're going to find something out that you might not want to know. That someone watches a show on their dvr some unknown amount of time later is not the rest of the worlds problem, and it's not their responsibility to avoid saying something about the show. Such is the price you pay for using a dvr.
What about someone on the West Coast, who watches a show that's already aired on the East. There's a window (is it 2 or 3 hours?) where they'll be spoiled even if they watch ASAP, and of course the Internet knows no boundaries. Also, aren't there shows that air in Britain or Canada before they do here?

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
What about someone on the West Coast, who watches a show that's already aired on the East. There's a window (is it 2 or 3 hours?) where they'll be spoiled even if they watch ASAP, and of course the Internet knows no boundaries. Also, aren't there shows that air in Britain or Canada before they do here?
Avoid the internet. I had to run an errand during the football game yesterday and I put on my ipod music so the DJ's would not spoil and I did not check Twitter or Facebook. It was pretty easy.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Avoid the internet. I had to run an errand during the football game yesterday and I put on my ipod music so the DJ's would not spoil and I did not check Twitter or Facebook. It was pretty easy.
I do it all the time for football. easy for the day